ADVERTISEMENT

Anthony Richardson in the Florida run game - Does Miller's Injury Change How AR Plays?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Miller secured the backup quarterback role, Gators looking for more depth​

While Richardson is the unquestioned starter, Napier has made an effort to prepare Miller to play in 2022.

“Jack’s very capable. I would say this going all the way back to spring. He’s moved our team. Understanding the spring game, he threw a couple (of) interceptions and all that. But he’s consistently made the right decision. He’s very capable, he’s got arm talent. He’s accurate, and he’s a good athlete. So I think we made a really good decision there. Realize that he is a freshman, right? And he has four years to play."

EDIT
Looking back, I was perhaps too critical of Miller's spring game performance. Changing teams, coaching staffs, offensive systems, etc was a lot for him to grasp in a short period of time.

Hoping that we give him some meaningful game experience & that he plays well.

Looking for a third-string QB​

The Gators have four scholarship quarterbacks but redshirt freshman Jalen Kitna is currently sidelined with an injury. Kitna had to undergo a small surgery for the undisclosed injury on Monday but was showing signs of growth prior.

“I would say Kitna is the player that I probably saw the most growth in, you know from spring practice to see him take another step fundamentally. I think he’s throwing the ball much more consistently, much more accurately, better grasp,” Napier said of Kitna.

That injury is opening up an opportunity for the true freshman, Max Brown. Brown, understandably, is swimming a little right now.

“Max is a rookie player. He’s going through those growing pains that most quarterbacks go through,” Napier said. “Everybody’s a little bigger and a little faster, information, a lot to process there. And he’s a reflection of most of the rookies on our team.”

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...arterback-role-gators-looking-for-more-depth/

Nappy's the HC, so he get's to live and die with his own decisions, just as it should be....

All I have is a lifetime of watching kids play the position, and I still like Max better, understanding that he has to deal with some learning/lag time. The shorter the better.
NBD, just as long as AR-15 gets it done....

On the other hand,
if guano occurs, then the smell will reside where it does, and we'll all know about it.... I can wait and see, this ain't my 1st rodeo.... 😉
(I had to wait out experienced Dean to get to rookie Danny Wonderful, just one of the many times)

Last edited:

Florida Gators 2022 Depth Chart Projection: Quarterbacks​

AR's Potential !​

Realize that we are still in talking season, but I am sick & tired of hearing about Anthony Richardson's FREAKING POTENTIAL !

Right now, IMO, talking about AR's potential is like building a sandcastle at the beach - a waste of time because you know sooner or later the tide will come in & wash it all away.

Let AR show me something - not in a spring game; not in a fall scrimmage; show me he can win a game against a 1st class opponent - make Sadgator & all the rest of us happy - beat Utah on Sept 3rd.

In his 3 starts last year (LSU, Georgia, and Florida State), he was a combined 27-46, with 4 touchdowns and 4 interceptions.

I am not going to quote anything from this article - good or bad.

If you want to salivate over some more ridiculous verbiage about AR's potential, here is the link.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ojection-quarterbacks-anthony-richardson-2022

To help everyone intelligently discuss AR's potential here are some synonyms -

Last edited:
While you don't need any of those words for Miller or Kitna as his replacement....🙄

He showed me enough in the LSU game to make me think he is the real deal. Also looked smooth in the new system in the spring game knowing he is the starter now.

He showed me enough in the LSU game to make me think he is the real deal. Also looked smooth in the new system in the spring game knowing he is the starter now.
Fever,

Not a big believer in moral victories; In the game I watched, AR threw a pick in the 4th QTR & we lost the game.

As Bill Parcels said - "You are what your record says you are !"

Fever,

Not a big believer in moral victories; In the game I watched, AR threw a pick in the 4th QTR & we lost the game.

Defense was playing like crap and he was just too green then. Not going to knock him much for that. He will show what he is now against Utah.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Fever,

True but he also had a lot of great throws.

The real challenge with AR is that he has a super small sample size. lol so when I hear the NFL guys say he might be a Top 10 pick, I'm thinking - really? I kind of can't wait to see - the dude can make it happen and we're about to find out.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I get that insta likes to pick a guy and wrap his arms around him in a stranglehold t the death, and I get that he never seems to like transfers for some reason, so the Miller dislike makes sense, but what's wrong with Kitna? Because his dad played in the NFL, is a good coach, and he's from Texas where the competition and talent level is high while Brown is an under dog from Oklahoma and the competition and talent level is mediocre?

That's a weird one to me.

Now to be fair, unlike some schools, we don't have a great track record with transfer QBs. But that's mainly because McElwain stacked the deck against us.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I get that insta likes to pick a guy and wrap his arms around him in a stranglehold t the death, and I get that he never seems to like transfers for some reason, so the Miller dislike makes sense, but what's wrong with Kitna? Because his dad played in the NFL, is a good coach, and he's from Texas where the competition and talent level is high while Brown is an under dog from Oklahoma and the competition and talent level is mediocre?

That's a weird one to me.

Now to be fair, unlike some schools, we don't have a great track record with transfer QBs. But that's mainly because McElwain stacked the deck against us.

Dunnygoater, do us both a small favor and talk about the players and coaches, while leaving me out of your usual idiocy and incompetence. Your usual 'straw-man' analysis of what I've said is as lacking as your general understanding of life, or of having any parenting abilities, or any fair treatment of your employees.

As I've already said,
I made my judgments on the current QB's film and stats. Those judgement are mine and will pan out or not over time, they always do. If I was setting the QB depth chart, which I'm obviously not:
1) AR-15 dt - Dark Horse to be in the Heisman hunt.
2) Max Brown dt - I see him as AR's eventual replacement.
3) Kitna pp - Like him, but he's not a good replacement fit imo.
4) Miller pp - I'd rather have kept Del Rio-Wilson dt at # 2-3.
Since Nappy brought him in, I expected Miller to begin as the #2, unless he broke a leg or something.
Where the depth chart is by the WLOCP, or by Sept of 23 remains to be seen....

What are you making QB judgments on, an evening sucking down some kind of cheap swill with your latest ho and a ouija board? You claiming anything to be
'fair' is as big of a joke as you usually are..... (see how this works when you beg for my attention, just don't do it, for the good of all) 🤓

I didn't beg for your attention, I just think it was odd.

Del Rio Wilson isn't here anymore, I just don't know why you're so infatuated with Brown.

Dunnygoater, whenever you mention me by name, you ARE BEGGING for my attention (notice that I never bring you up in my postings). That's just a FACT that anyone posting here for more than the last year understands, and you being a liar about it is nothing knew for you. 🙄

This liars latest Straw-man = Infatuated with Brown.
(backup Eagle Scout HS QB Trask, is still eating your dumbass alive I see)

You squirm like the little worm that you've always been, while you failed to tell us how YOU make your own QB judgments. (swill/ho-Ouija-board)

During this past long hot summer talking season, I was looking at these things:
And please anyone, feel free to review these MaxPreps Highlights and point out for me where you see some low level of competition he faced while going 13-1 as a Sr, and being named the OK Dist-3 3A MVP.

MaxPreps Stats: 14 Gms

P - 167 of 235, 71.1%, 16.5 Ave, 196.4 Yds/Gm, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
R - 173 for 1,343 Yds, 7.8 ypc, 95.9 Yds/Gm, 20 TD's, 1 LPF
Feel free to compare those stats with TT's HS Sr stats at 3A/4A Nease....
🤓
14 Gms Total Off - 4,093 Yds, 292.4 Gm, 61 TD's, 5 Turnovers, 13-1 State Champ Runner-Up. He was the best QB, but he lost to a better team for the Championship.

==========

That was back then, this is as of now....

The only other scholarship quarterback throwing during the window was true freshman Max Brown, who is continuing to get a feel for route-timing in the SEC after only playing high school ball for two years. The natural arm talent is there, though, and when he's confident in his timing his accuracy tends to improve. His ability to create natural spin and loft from a 3/4 throwing release is noteworthy, seen on the pass to (true Freshman) TE Arlis Boardingham below.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...book-day-nine-quarterbacks-anthony-richardson

Finally, for anyone and everyone. I don't hate either Miller or Kitna QB-pp's, I just believe that Max Brown QB-dt is a much better fit to go with what Napier is doing with AR-15 in his offense....
I'll be all for any one of those 4 that gets it done and can stay healthy.

And now dunnygoater, it's time for you to either man up with some real answers, or just sit back down and STFU....

Since the subject is who would do well in CBN's offence,what is his O philosophy?Does anyone know of a P5 team that runs his type of O that is known to us?I assume since he won a title with his O last year that he will have UF doing the same .

Since the subject is who would do well in CBN's offence,what is his O philosophy?Does anyone know of a P5 team that runs his type of O that is known to us?I assume since he won a title with his O last year that he will have UF doing the same .

Haven't watched much of Louisiana but I think Napier likes to run a lot of 12 personnel with 2 TEs (one more of a pure blocker and the other more of an H back type TE). With defenses going so small lately it can open a chance to pound them at times. Watching a play in the spring game it's going to really stress a defense with a QB like Richardson in there but I think a QB like Miller could be a slight negative in it. I think GA used a lot of that 12 personnel to pound Bama at times. Napier also likes to take some deep shots in the passing game.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
#16 ULL in 2021 - 13-1 - 9-0 Sun Belt Champs
N.O. Bowl ULL 36 - 21 Marshall

Season:

Pts For = 31.1 Gm (45th of 130)

Pts Agt = 18.5 Gm (11th of 130)

SoS = (119 of 130)

Team Stats:

Passing
Lewis - 236 of 391, 60.4% for 2,917 Yds, 20 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 137.9

Rushing - Top 4 got all but 24 carries on the season:
RB Montrell Johnson - 162 for 838 yds, 5.2 ypc, 12 TD's
RB Chris Smith - 153 for 855 yds, 5.6 ypc, 8 TD's
RB Emani Bailey - 102 for 642 yds, 6.3 ypc, 8 TD's
QB-dt Levi Lewis - 100 for 343 yds, 3.4 ypc, 5 TD's

Without getting into highly technical stuff, the iG sees Napier's offense actually looked like a slightly weaker version of Dan's offense.

The difference I'm looking for is not the particular style of offense or defense that will be run compared to Mullen, but the discipline, effort, execution and unity this team plays with compared to last year especially. I don't think we have the overall talent and depth to truly compete for any kind of championship this year, but the building blocks need to be put in place with the existing players, as better players will start coming in with the 2023 recruiting class. So while I would love to see this team go at least 7-5, or even as good as 9-3, I'm more interested this season in observing the development of the 4 things I mentioned before - discipline, effort, execution and unity. The on-the-field results will take care of themselves over the next couple of years if Napier is going to achieve the goals he was hired to meet.

Last edited:
I think we have a lot more talent than last year showed. Certainly the 2nd most in the East. If they come out of the gate fast at home we should have a good season.

Reactions: instaGATOR
I think we have a lot more talent than last year showed. Certainly the 2nd most in the East. If they come out of the gate fast at home we should have a good season.
Fever,

Excuses & Explanations don't count !

A Bill Parcels quote -

"You are what your record says you are !"

IMO, at 2-6 in the SEC & a loss to UCF in the Gasparilla Bowl -

Our record did NOT say we were the 2nd most talented team in the East !

FWIW, UCF ranked higher than UF in the pre season polls that count - Coaches & AP.

Fever,

A Bill Parcels quote -

FWIW, UCF ranked higher than UF in the pre season polls that count - Coaches & AP.

How would they rank UCF with our schedule?

How would they rank UCF with our schedule?
Fever,

Why would they be ranked any different ? Ranking are supposed to indicate the talent of the Players & the Coaching Staff as UCF has showed many teams.

Who deserved the higher ranking last year - UCF with their schedule or UF with our schedule - including the 28-17 loss to UCF - in the Gasparilla Bowl ?

Playing our schedule & getting our A*ss kicked - as we did last year - doesn't do much for our rankings.

Realistically, IMO, polls - below the top 3 - are not very accurate until the 3rd or 4th week.

That's why they play the games on the field instead of just listening to experts & talking heads. LOL

Your question sort of like asking how would UCF do against the Top 3 in the Preseason Coaches & AP Polls & how would UF do ?

Both of us would be 0-3 !

Then we could argue about total points scored & given up & "Moral Victories !" & none of those things would matter; a loss is a loss !

Last edited:
Reactions: jimbo1313R
Fever,

Why would they be ranked any different ? Ranking are supposed to indicate the talent of the Players & the Coaching Staff as UCF has showed many teams.

Who deserved the higher ranking last year - UCF with their schedule or UF with our schedule - including the 28-17 loss to UCF - in the Gasparilla Bowl ?

Playing our schedule & getting our A*ss kicked - as we did last year - doesn't do much for our rankings.

Realistically, IMO, polls - below the top 3 - are not very accurate until the 3rd or 4th week.

That's why they play the games on the field instead of just listening to experts & talking heads. LOL

Your question sort of like asking how would UCF do against the Top 3 in the Preseason Coaches & AP Polls & how would UF do ?

Both of us would be 0-3 !

Then we could argue about total points scored & given up & "Moral Victories !" & none of those things would matter; a loss is a loss !

The writers especially take schedule into account. You think Wake Forest would be ranked that high with an SEC West schedule?

Fever,

A Bill Parcels quote -

Preseason Polls are just as valuable as some people's constant negative drivel.... 😉

While this fall Florida will implement DC Patrick Toney’s new scheme (No. 22 defense nationally and No. 11 in scoring defense last year at 9-0 Sun Belt Champ ULL) which should boost the productivity, this new UF program appears to have the calvary on the way. Plus he's working with a much more talented roster now....

Fever,
A Bill Parcels quote -
Very true. UF's 2021 Record was 6-7 with a bowl loss to 9-4 UCF.
That's history and it's in the books.
What does it mean for 2022? ---->>> Not A Damn Thing
😎

The Gator's 2022 record is UNDEFEATED.
That's what their current record says they are, so that's what they are....

You are of course free to speculate in any way that suits you, but that's all it is, your own highly biased speculation.... 🤓
So, don't go confusing your speculations for facts of any kind, or of having any bearing what so ever on 2022's coming results. And you might need to blow the spit outta that tin horn that you keep blowing on...

Last edited:
Brown getting reps with Miller out.
I don't get why Billy, or anyone else for that matter, believes that Jack Miller would be a better #2 to AR-15 than Brown???

QB-dt Anthony Richardson 6-4 238 4.4/40 So - Gainesville, FL

QB-dt Max Brown 6-2 200 Fr - Tulsa, OK
MaxPreps Stats: 14 Gms HS Sr
P - 167 of 235, 71.1%, 16.5 Ave, 196.4 Yds/Gm, 41 TD's, 4 Ints, QBR 142.6
R - 173 for 1,343 Yds, 7.8 ypc, 95.9 Yds/Gm, 20 TD's, 1 LPF

~~ And like with Trask, I listen to the player's HS coach.

He led the Bulldogs to consecutive undefeated regular seasons and appearances in the state championship game. Keep in mind that Max has only played football for 2 seasons. 😲
“Max is just a tremendous athlete,” Lincoln Christian head coach Jerry Ricke said. “He’s definitely your dual-threat type quarterback. He’s got a big arm, a live arm. A kid that understands what it takes to win, just great leadership skills, and he’s a guy that wants the ball in his hands in crucial moments in big games.” -- Brown was also a standout shortstop and catcher on Lincoln’s baseball team and could’ve played professional baseball if he had chosen to go that route. >>> Max's father is former Tulsa and Atlanta Falcons receiver Corey Brown. (apple/tree, and that's who Max has been playing catch with for years)

QB-pp Jalen Kitna 6-4 208 rsFr - Tacoma, WA / Burleson, TX
His father Jon is a former NFL QB - The iG likes Jalen better than Jack.

QB-pp Jack Miller III 6-3 211 rsFr - Scottsdale, Az - tOSU #3 backup QB xfer
His only hook is personal from knowing Billy from his AzSt days.
And the longer Billy tries to sell Jack as a viable option at QB, the worse it's likely to be down the road. (and yes, that's just the iG's speculation)

What annoys me about that is what appears to be the same kind of crap as McLame's hook with Jack & Luke Del Rio, that turned into a years long mistake.... I could be incorrect, but at this point, I'm thinking that I could be from Missouri....
(eyes wide open)

Twitter said he had a brace on his wrist I think when he went for treatment.

Both Kitna and Miller have been missing Fall reps due to small dings,,, to the point that WO QB
(Kyle Engle 6-1 190 rsSo - STA Ft. Lauderdale, FL - 7A Runner up at 13-2)
has also been getting QB reps to keep things flowing at practice.

Unlike Max who ran 173 times at a 7.9 ypc, for 1,343 yds, but still never got hurt.
That's one tough-azz dual threat QB imo.... And how do you run that much and still have a 71.1% completion with 41 TD's to 4 Ints????

Reactions: Gator Fever
ADVERTISEMENT