ADVERTISEMENT

Mike White's 2020-21 Team

instaGATOR

Bull Gator
May 29, 2001
So, what's the 2020-21 Roster looking like now?
(Ht-Wt 2020 updates coming soon, I hope)

PG Tyree Appleby 6-1 163 rsJr (All Horizon League Fr & So)
(Earned the McDonalds Full Court Award as a HS Soph & Jr)

PG Ques Glover 5-11 176 So (Tn HS 3A Champ & MVP in Title game)

PG Christopher Sutherland 6-3 170 Grad-Sr P-WO
(2015 NY HS 2nd-team All-State and making it to the state semifinals)

CG Noah Locke 6-2 207 Jr (UF Fr 3's Made record with 81)

CG Tre Mann 6-6 180 So (5-star Micky-D)

CG Alex Klatsky 6-3 189 rsFr, P-WO
(A 4-year varsity starter and 2-year captain, was part of 104 wins with S.Lewis)

SF-CG Scottie Lewis 6-5 185 So (5-star Micky-D)

SF Samson Ruzhentsev 6-6 182 Fr (48/100)

SF-CG Niels Lane 6-5 210 Fr (90/100)

PF Anthony Duruji 6-7 213 rsJr (All AAC)

PF Osayi Osifo 6-8 215 rsJr (#1 PF JuCo xfer)

PF Keyontae Johnson 6-5 231 Jr (All SEC 1st Team)

C-PF Colin Castleton 6-11 235 Jr (or rsSo sit-out, needs waiver)
(2019-20 @ Mich, FG 54%, only 7.9 Min/Gm as backup)

PF-C Omar Payne 6-10 223 So
(115 Pts (3.8 ppg), 107 Rbs (3.6 rpg), 34 Blks in 30 Gms, 7 starts)

C Jason Jitoboh 6-11 293 So
(B-2-B HS NACA Champs, NACA Def. PoY and 1st-Team All-Conf)

3 PG - 3 SG - 3 SF - 3 PF - 3 C, 13 ships with 2 WO's.-- balance achieved.
Team speed and athleticism on the rise.

I am again looking forward to watching Mike White's TEAM get after it...

https://floridagators.com/news/2020/7/22/mens-basketball-whites-next-team-will-be-a-faster-team.aspx

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
When do the kids report to Gainesville ?

This was in the linked article....
"If all goes as planned (and if medically cleared), UF basketball players will be on the floor — one per goal — for individual shooting drills (first with managers, eventually with coaches), and on a strength-and-conditioning schedule by Aug. 3."

We have players to make the tournament if we develop them. #gators
That's been the question about Mike White. Can he consistently develop good players into better players? A few have gotten better under his tutelage; others not so much and a few seem to have regressed. Also, is just making the NCAA tournament enough for Gator fans?

That's been the question about Mike White. Can he consistently develop good players into better players? A few have gotten better under his tutelage; others not so much and a few seem to have regressed. Also, is just making the NCAA tournament enough for Gator fans?

While true in part, the same could be said or asked about every single HC at UF.... :rolleyes:

Mike inherited a losing team and took them to the Quarter Final of the NIT, while giving up the earned home games due to the O'Dome's renovations.
Then he's taken them to 3 consecutive NCAA's, including 1 Elite-8.
He has yet to go 'One & Done' in any post season tourney.
The 4th was all but guaranteed when the season got Kung Flued.....

The current 2020 roster is projected and predicted to be in the next Dance.

What I see is a new young HC that has exceeded all expectations and doesn't get the credit that he deserves from some spoiled / entitled fans.... :cool:

This is White’s 6th year. It’s “put up or shut up” time as far as I’m concerned.

Does that go for all of the Gator coaches, or just for Mike White? :cool:

And put up what?
A winning season? (2014 = 16-17)
Winning the SEC Reg. Season?
Winning the SEC Tourney?
Making the NIT?
Making the NCAA?
Making the 16 / 8 / 4 / Final
Or does he have to win a NC or be fired for incompetence? :rolleyes:

Now, can I see your expectations for all of the other Gator coaches to keep them from being fired too? o_O

Gator coaches are expected to win championships at some point in their first 5 years and be in contention on a regular basis. Mike White has had 1 really good year, but has won nothing except a pre-season tournament that was meaningless. He's not really been in serious contention for an SEC title so far. I like the guy and wish him all the best, but I agree with Paco. He needs to produce a title of some kind and should not be treated differently from other Gator coaches at UF in that regard. This is re-hashing opinions that have been expressed multiple times and in various ways over the last couple of years. But until real sports start up again that's all we have left to do.

Reactions: gatordad3
Gator coaches are expected to win championships at some point in their first 5 years and be in contention on a regular basis. Mike White has had 1 really good year, but has won nothing except a pre-season tournament that was meaningless. He's not really been in serious contention for an SEC title so far. I like the guy and wish him all the best, but I agree with Paco. He needs to produce a title of some kind and should not be treated differently from other Gator coaches at UF in that regard. This is re-hashing opinions that have been expressed multiple times and in various ways over the last couple of years. But until real sports start up again that's all we have left to do.
IMO he doesn’t even necessarily have to win a title. He just needs to produce a very good year. He’s been the coach for 5 years and IMO has only had 1 really good year. 1 out of 5 doesn’t cut it for me. He needs to have a really good year this year. Win lots of games, get a good seed in the tournament and then make some noise.

Reactions: gatordad3
IMO he doesn’t even necessarily have to win a title. He just needs to produce a very good year. He’s been the coach for 5 years and IMO has only had 1 really good year. 1 out of 5 doesn’t cut it for me. He needs to have a really good year this year. Win lots of games, get a good seed in the tournament and then make some noise.
With the returning talent plus the guys that sat out last year and a good recruiting class coach White should be able to check all those boxes. He will also be able to play his up tempo style of offense. Provided we have a season everything is in place for a very good year.

With the returning talent plus the guys that sat out last year and a good recruiting class coach White should be able to check all those boxes. He will also be able to play his up tempo style of offense. Provided we have a season everything is in place for a very good year.

I don't know if I've ever seen his "up-tempo" style of offense at Florida. It's incredible how much we slow things down. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I don't know if I've ever seen his "up-tempo" style of offense at Florida. It's incredible how much we slow things down. It doesn't make any sense to me.
Andrew Nembhard didn’t have the speed for that kind of offense. Chris Chiozza did.

Andrew Nembhard didn’t have the speed for that kind of offense. Chris Chiozza did.
Why did White recruit Nembhard then if he wasn’t a good “system” fit? He’s going into his 6th year. These are his players and his system.

Why did White recruit Nembhard then if he wasn’t a good “system” fit? He’s going into his 6th year. These are his players and his system.

Mike White spent 2 years recruiting KU point guard Devon Dotson . The kid wanted to look around late and Nembhard was the best backup plan .

Mike White also got a commit from Shai Gil Alexander the year before that and the kid decommitted went to UK and turned into a stud.

He is trying on the recruiting trail

Last edited:
Mike White spent 2 years recruiting KU point guard Devon Dotson . The kid wanted to look around late and Nembhard was the best backup plan .

Mike White also got a commit from Shai Gil Alexander the year before that and the kid decommitted went to UK and turned into a stud.

He is trying on the recruiting trail
I didn’t say he wasnt trying on the recruiting trail but he just needs to make sure he recruits players to run the system he wants to run whatever that system may be.

I didn’t say he wasnt trying on the recruiting trail but he just needs to make sure he recruits players to run the system he wants to run whatever that system may be.

He doesn't have to make sure of a damn thing.

All he has to do is try to recruit the best players that fit and make the dance each year. It's not like every big name coach always finds the right kids. I remember a few bums on older rosters of duke and Kansas. Hell even Billy had a few scrubs every few years .

I would like to see an older assistant on the staff to help him coach better

He doesn't have to make sure of a damn thing.

All he has to do is try to recruit the best players that fit and make the dance each year. It's not like every big name coach always finds the right kids. I remember a few bums on older rosters of duke and Kansas. Hell even Billy had a few scrubs every few years .

I would like to see an older assistant on the staff to help him coach better
Those bums can’t be starters if that is what you are referring too in regards to Nembhard. You certainly need to hit on your targets more than you miss!

Those bums can’t be starters if that is what you are referring too in regards to Nembhard. You certainly need to hit on your targets more than you miss!

David Duke of Providence was the only kid with UF interest that fit after Dotson turned the staff down . Nembhard was slow but he was the best we could get at the time . It's not like Mike White is a big name, a lot of top 50 kids don't want to come here

That’s something I would like to know.

Andrew was ranked high based on international scoring , but in high school a Georiga Tech recruit and RJ Barrett of Duke had the ball more . So , his slow speed pushing it up wasn't an issue, the Montvarde team was loaded .

“We are going to continue to play a crazy schedule,” he said. “In my five years at Florida we have played collectively the hardest schedule in our league. We did again last year, according to KenPom. If you crunch the numbers, we have played the hardest schedule the past five years in all of high major basketball. We are going to continue to develop through our schedule and find the best style for our individual team for this coming season and try to max out.” -- Mike White

https://247sports.com/college/flori...ke-White-who-just-wants-to-max-out-149540099/

Not me, we need to hit 16, 4 but win one too think MW took us to 8 a 3 years ago. Just have to see.

I'd be more confident in White if he had a better personality , the guy seems weird like former football coach Mac

. “In my five years at Florida we have played collectively the hardest schedule in our league. We did again last year, according to KenPom. If you crunch the numbers, we have played the hardest schedule the past five years in all of high major basketball." :eek:

And what has our new young HC done while playing that SoS?
Took over a loser team and took them to the NIT Quarter Finals.
He then, against the toughest D-1 schedule took them to 3 consecutive NCAA's, and would have gone to the 4th consecutive NCAA if not for the lockdown. :cool:

And the tourney win
was not a preseason tourney as someone claimed, it was an in season tourney in Brooklyn, NY, the first in season tourney win in several years.
And he's done that since the Elite-8 while dealing with several Big Man injuries that has hampered the teams output. Looking back, he has out performed all 'reasonable' expectations while replacing a HoF coach resulting in a raise and contract extension by the UAA and AD. o_O

Weird is how well he has recruited 'high quality' individual student-athletes and continued to win with them.

I like that we play a tough OOC schedule.

Yeah, and how many more wins would he have, IF he played the average chump SoS instead of the TOUGHEST SoS in D1? o_O

I don't see the White nay-sayers ever account for that little item... :rolleyes:
And they only pay passing lip-service to the Big Man injuries...:oops:

Mike is a WAY-BETTER HC and person than they ever give him credit for being imoho. :cool:

Yeah, and how many more wins would he have, IF he played the average chump SoS instead of the TOUGHEST SoS in D1? o_O

I don't see the White nay-sayers ever account for that little item... :rolleyes:
And they only pay passing lip-service to the Big Man injuries...:oops:

Mike is a WAY-BETTER HC and person than they ever give him credit for being imoho. :cool:
I would like to win more of those. And OOC has nothing to do with SEC standings.

Reactions: paperboy36
I would like to win more of those. And OOC has nothing to do with SEC standings.

Every Gator fan wants to win every game, every time. Want in one hand.... :rolleyes:

The level of importance to me.
Winning a NC
Making the NCAA Final Four
Making the NCAA Sweet-16 (once, with an Elite-8)
Making the NCAA Tourney (4 consecutive times) o_O
-----

Winning the SEC Season
Winning the SEC Tourney
Making the NIT (taking a losing team to NIT Quarter-finals in 1st year)
Finishing with a winning record. (5 consecutive seasons)
Winning a big in-season tourney. (1 time)

Since the Elite-8, he has been playing the toughest SoS in D-1 and doing so with injured, or injured out Bigs. Pretty damn good coaching without his starting center(s)...
~ How would things have turned out if Egbunu & Gak had both played healthy? o_O
Not to mention the many other injuries to the various PF's. :oops:

Who coached the All Time Career Leader in Assists at LaTech?
Who coached the All Time Career Leader in Assists at UF?

Mike White on the new additions to the Gator's 2020-21 playing roster:

PG Tyree Applebe 6-1 163 rsJr - Cleveland St xfer, sat out 2019-20
SF Anthony Duruji 6-7 220 rsJr - LaTech xfer, sat out 2019-20
PF Osayi Osifo 6-7 225 Jr - Juco xfer in.
CG Niels Lane 6-5 195 Fr (2,3,1)
SF/PF Samson Ruzhentsev 6-7 192 Fr
-----
~ PF/C Colin Castleton 6-11 231 rsSo - Mich xfer (needs a waiver)
SG Alex Klatsky 6-4 185 rsFr W-O - (scout team & developmental in 19-20)
PG Jack May 6-4 175 Fr - W-O (son of former Gator coach Dusty)

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...tball-mike-white-breaks-down-2020-acquisitons

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT