ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Mike Farrell's Top 25 Recruiting Classes for 2023​

1. Alabama
  2. Georgia
  3. Texas
  4. Ohio State
  5. Oklahoma
  6. LSU
  7. Miami
16. Gators - This is a strong defensive class which is key but losing QB Jaden Rashada hurt even if it was the right move.

18. Noles - A smaller class gets dinged in math formulas but this class is quality over quantity and the offensive additions are nasty.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/recruiting/mike-farrells-top-25-recruiting-classes-for-2023
Yes Jeff and the Monet they had was nasty, and how many games did Rashada play for us so we can say that it hurt losing him.......jim Just wondering. AND, just for the record I don't personally give a crap for most of Farrell's comments. So there's that...jim

Tommy Rees to Become New Offensive Coordinator at Alabama, per Sources​

Notre Dame’s Tommy Rees will be leaving South Bend to become Nick Saban’s new offensive coordinator at Alabama.

https://www.si.com/college/2023/02/03/tommy-rees-new-offensive-coordinator-alabama-sources

At least one of the two open coordinator positions with the Alabama Crimson Tide has been filled according to Pete Thamel. Former Notre Dame star quarterback Tommy Rees has accepted the Alabama offensive coordinator position.

https://collegesportswire.usatoday....ball-tommy-rees-hired-per-reports-notre-dame/

As for a new offensive coordinator, we know this much about Tommy Rees, who is reportedly coach Nick Saban's choice for the job: he likes to run the ball.

A lot.

And he'll tell you so, right from the message pinned to the top of his Twitter feed: Run the damn ball.

That should hit like music to the ears of Crimson Tide fans who clamored for a more consistent rushing attack last season. What doesn't hit like music is where the Fighting Irish ranked offensively last year, Rees' third as its coordinator: 60th nationally in total offense (396 yards per game), and 42nd in scoring (31.8 points per game). Was that more a function of the job Rees did, or more about the on-field talent he had to work with? That was a point of debate, now a dead one, for Notre Dame fans. Meanwhile, Alabama fans wondered why the SEC's best rushing offense on a per-carry basis (5.55 yards) ranked only seventh in the league in rushing yards per game (195.5).

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-football-returning-joyless-murderball-033202824.html

Last edited:
Tebow,

I hope he is successful in this endeavor.

We know nothing about Mertz or Brown & the whole team - not just Miller performed poorly in the L V Bowl.
I dont really understand what his plan is? Is he bringing someone in to compete with Mertz? I dont see him bringing someone in to take over for Mertz. Mertz had to be told hes the guy or he wouldnt have came to Florida.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
I dont really understand what his plan is? Is he bringing someone in to compete with Mertz? I dont see him bringing someone in to take over for Mertz. Mertz had to be told hes the guy or he wouldnt have came to Florida.
Tebow,

I don't have a clue what Napier's plan is; not sure he does either !

IMO, we are not going to find an SEC capable QB willing to transfer to UF after spring practice.

To my mind, wasting another scholarship on a transfer portal QB doesn't make sense. To get academic credits that will transfer, he will have to finish the spring semester.

It will be summer before he can enroll in UF. How will he learn the offense, know the receivers, etc,

Since we don't have a QB Coach, Napier needs to check his ego at the door & see if Spurrier will work with Max Brown, Kyle Engle, & Jack Anders.

For someone who played QB & claims to be our QB coach, Napier has done a poor job with Transfer QBs & developing our roster QBs.

In fairness, just because we evaluate & identify a QB as one we would like to have, it doesn't guarantee that he is willing to transfer to UF.

Last edited:
Reactions: TEBOW TIME
Florida could add more transfers to the 2023 roster when the second portal window opens from May 1-15.

The Gators landed leading receiver Ricky Pearsall from Arizona State after spring ball.

Since most teams have 3-5 WRs who get snaps & only 1 or 2 QBs, I think that it is much easier to get a decent WR in the Spring Portal period than to get a SEC capable QB.

But who knows; Mertz's & Brown's capabilities playing with the 2023 UF offense are complete unknowns; Mertz has more experience; Brown more athleticism; perhaps Miller will blossom as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Florida could add more transfers to the 2023 roster when the second portal window opens from May 1-15.

The Gators landed leading receiver Ricky Pearsall from Arizona State after spring ball.

Since most teams have 3-5 WRs who get snaps & only 1 or 2 QBs, I think that it is much easier to get a decent WR in the Spring Portal period than to get a SEC capable QB.

But who knows; Mertz's & Brown's capabilities playing with the 2023 UF offense are complete unknowns; Mertz has more experience; Brown more athleticism; perhaps Miller will blossom as well.

Possible but I don't see us adding a QB that has shown he can play after the Spring as most entered early this year. I guess there is a slim chance with the Coastal Carolina QB if he graduates this semester to take care of the enrollment issue. Most likely we just get someone for depth at most.

As far as WR there were a few good field stretching plug and play ones but we didn't go after them. Not sure too many good SEC starter material ones will be there after the Spring.

Possible but I don't see us adding a QB that has shown he can play after the Spring as most entered early this year. I guess there is a slim chance with the Coastal Carolina QB if he graduates this semester to take care of the enrollment issue. Most likely we just get someone for depth at most.
Fever,

UF does not offer a masters in basket weaving, so Grayson McCall would have to graduate Cum Laude or better to get into UF.

Why waste a scholarship on another QB for depth ? -
Unless both Miller & Mertz are in the hospital, Napier isn't going to play another QB anyway.

Kitna got 20-30 snaps during the entire season -
10 for 14 passing-181 yds 1 TD;
1 rush for 6 yds & a few handoffs; AR got all the rest, no matter how poorly he played.
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/stats
Miller took every snap in the L V Bowl & led us to 3 last second points.
https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/gators-snap-counts-in-las-vegas-bowl/

Give our best walk-on QB a scholarship & actually work with him & Brown.

Admittedly that will be difficult since we don't have a QB coach !

Let our current off the field QB instructor work with Mertz & Miller.
Hire Spurrier or Shane Matthews to work with the 2 "depth" QBs; better than what we're doing now.

After playing in the NFL, either Steve or Shane could learn our offense in 5 or 10 minutes.

Just get them to teach the 2 reserve QBs the mechanics of handing the ball off, the RPO, & going through the basic progressions for the short passing game.

Last edited:
Fever,

UF does not offer a masters in basket weaving, so Grayson McCall would have to graduate Cum Laude or better to get into UF.

Why waste a scholarship on another QB for depth ? -
Unless both Miller & Mertz are in the hospital, Napier isn't going to play another QB anyway.

Give our best walk-on QB a scholarship & actually work with him & Brown.

Admittedly that will be difficult since we don't have a QB coach !

Let our current off the field QB instructor work with Mertz & Miller.
Hire Spurrier or Shane Matthews to work with the 2 "depth" QBs; better than what we're doing now.

After playing in the NFL, either Steve or Shane could learn our offense in 5 or 10 minutes.

Just get them to teach the 2 reserve QBs the mechanics of handing the ball off, the RPO, & going through the basic progressions for the short passing game.

Not sure the exact deal but people on other sites seem to think he could enroll here if he graduates because of different UF rules then. Probably not happening regardless though.

I agree we don't need another depth QB unless Miller bolts since Engel is like a scholarship one now anyway. I think Engel is given free tuition etc. as long as we have the open slot.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Not sure the exact deal but people on other sites seem to think he could enroll here if he graduates because of different UF rules then. Probably not happening regardless though.
I agree we don't need another depth QB unless Miller bolts since Engel is like a scholarship one now anyway. I think Engel is given free tuition etc. as long as we have the open slot.
Fever,

good to hear your thoughts; I hope you are correct - especially about not wasting a scholarship on another Transfer QB for "depth." & Engel getting free tuition.

Reactions: Gator Fever

Familiar name has emerged as a potential candidate for Alabama's DC opening​

Alabama’s defensive coordinator opening has created a lot of headlines over the last couple of weeks and it now appears that a new yet familiar name has emerged as a contender for the job.

Kevin Steele, Miami’s current defensive coordinator has reportedly become one of Nick Saban’s primary targets for the opening.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2...-potential-candidate-for-alabamas-dc-opening/

Luckily, Gators don't have to worry about replacing Coordinators - we don't have any !

LOL

Yeah Good Luck beating out Kirby with all his Championships

Well the one thing Kirby has done is show Saban's run in those first years was not magical when you get talent at those levels in your recruiting classes and are hitting on many of them. 90% of the college game is good talent evaluation and being able to land many of your targets. I think Napier is a good evaluator but is limited by our ability to land some of his targets due to $ considerations.

Yeah Good Luck beating out Kirby with all his Championships
Tebow,

All teams run in cycles; look what happened to Bama after Bear Bryant & before Saban.

Even though Kirby has won two Natties, he has to compare it to Saban's SEVEN & realize he not even close to being the G.O.A.T. college football coach.

As a former member of Saban's staff, that has to eat at him.

Maybe we will be lucky & Kirby will take a shot at the NFL like Saban did.

If he pulled that off & won a Super Bowl, then he could be better / greater than Saban.

Here's hoping he goes for it.
Since he would have to leave UGA to do it, I would even pull for him to win the damn Super Bowl !

If Kirby goes to the NFL, - we can't lose !

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Well the one thing Kirby has done is show Saban's run in those first years was not magical when you get talent at those levels in your recruiting classes and are hitting on many of them. 90% of the college game is good talent evaluation and being able to land many of your targets.

I think Napier is a good evaluator but is limited by our ability to land some of his targets due to $ considerations.
Fever,

CBN is building an excellent support / recruiting infrastructure & is a damn fine individual recruiter.

Last edited:
Big Boy going to the Big Show!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tebow,

Grantham going back to the Big Show !

Thought I remembered this & the article you posted even says this -

"... Grantham previously coached in the NFL from 1999-2009. He was the defensive line coach for the Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans, and Dallas Cowboys during his time in the NFL. He served as the Cleveland Browns’ defensive coordinator from 2005-2007."

It sucks being a fine recruiter and having an army only puts your classes in the middle of the new SEC once TX and OK joins.
Fever,

I feel your pain !

If CBN had gotten his feet on the ground in Gainesville before this incredible NIL stupidity, things would be different.
BUT
I realize that some schools are comfortable with financial legerdemain (cough Bama, TAMU, etc) & NIL gives them a legal way to do it.

But IMO, UF Admin is NOT going to go the McDonald's Bag route now or ever. Even though NIL legal, I don't see UF being a leader in that category - no Boosters with the flash of a Ruiz & right now pitiful organization.

Plus we have to hold our breath over the disruption caused by that Bozo from Pittsburg, CA.

Unless NIL falls apart or NCAA actually updates rules & enforces them, my honest opinion is that UF is probably middle of the pack in Football & Men's basketball for sometime to come.

Last edited:

Jim Boeheim says college basketball is in an 'awful place,' accuses ACC schools of buying their teams​

Boeheim includes former Gator Tyree Appleby - Wake's leading scorer (18.1 PPG) in that category.

https://www.on3.com/news/jim-boehei...i-wake-forest-pittsburgh-nil-transfer-portal/

After a shocking run to the Elite 8 where the Hurricanes fell to the eventual champions in the Kansas Jayhawks, Miami filled the void of their departures in the transfer portal. Miami landed top transfer Nijel Pack from Kansas State, fresh off a season where he was Big 12 First Team All-Conference. On top of that, they added in the middle with Arkansas State transfer Norchad Omier who dominated en route to a Sun Belt Player of the Year campaign.

As many know, Pack and Omier received lucrative deals with John Ruiz's LifeWallet Sports. Given Miami hasn't been a powerhouse basketball program over the last few years, this has caused some frustration amongst coaches seeing top players land in Coral Gables.
https://www.si.com/college/miami/basketball/jim-boeheim-bashes-miamis-nil-in-development-of-roster

Last edited:
Bitch, bitch bitch. Didn't Billy have to coach Mullen's leftovers? I believe the season is over so how can it continue to be a disaster?......jim
Have you ignored the use or non-use of the QB's in 2022, including the current state of the QB room? SMDH

Kevin Steele as Bama DC..... whoof.... He has been around the SEC and ACC a ton, sucked pretty much everywhere. How does this guy keep getting hired? Makes no sense

Kevin Steele as Bama DC..... whoof.... He has been around the SEC and ACC a ton, sucked pretty much everywhere. How does this guy keep getting hired? Makes no sense

Maybe Kevin is not like some of the other DC floating around, he's realy 'Stainless' Steele... 😁

I think Kevin Steele is a pretty good hire for Bama. He’s a good recruiter as well. Yes he has some ups and downs but he has experience at the big boy level and has worked with Saban in the past. He actually did pretty good at Miami last year considering he had to play defense with one of the worst offenses in the entire country and his unit was on the field the entire game. It hurts Miami a bit that they now have to replace their OC & DC after just the first season with Cristobal. That isn’t a good thing for a first year coaching staff as it really interrupts the continuity you get heading into year 2 & to really begin to show improvement. Now Mario has to make 2 major hires all over again.

I think Kevin Steele is a pretty good hire for Bama. He’s a good recruiter as well. Yes he has some ups and downs but he has experience at the big boy level and has worked with Saban in the past. He actually did pretty good at Miami last year considering he had to play defense with one of the worst offenses in the entire country and his unit was on the field the entire game. It hurts Miami a bit that they now have to replace their OC & DC after just the first season with Cristobal. That isn’t a good thing for a first year coaching staff as it really interrupts the continuity you get heading into year 2 & to really begin to show improvement. Now Mario has to make 2 major hires all over again.

I wish they held on to the OC another year. Whatever he did turned a pretty good QB from the year prior into a mess.

Reactions: PacoGator19

Jim Boeheim says college basketball is in an 'awful place,' accuses ACC schools of buying their teams​

Boeheim includes former Gator Tyree Appleby - Wake's leading scorer (18.1 PPG) in that category.

https://www.on3.com/news/jim-boehei...i-wake-forest-pittsburgh-nil-transfer-portal/

After a shocking run to the Elite 8 where the Hurricanes fell to the eventual champions in the Kansas Jayhawks, Miami filled the void of their departures in the transfer portal. Miami landed top transfer Nijel Pack from Kansas State, fresh off a season where he was Big 12 First Team All-Conference. On top of that, they added in the middle with Arkansas State transfer Norchad Omier who dominated en route to a Sun Belt Player of the Year campaign.

As many know, Pack and Omier received lucrative deals with John Ruiz's LifeWallet Sports. Given Miami hasn't been a powerhouse basketball program over the last few years, this has caused some frustration amongst coaches seeing top players land in Coral Gables.
https://www.si.com/college/miami/basketball/jim-boeheim-bashes-miamis-nil-in-development-of-roster
Yes Boeheim is someone we should listen to. Right up there with Paterno.

Tommy Rees is a good hire for Alabama.​

Farrell’s take: FICTION​

I’m not a fan of this. The Notre Dame offense wasn’t dynamic and was
very run-heavy which was fine and dandy nearly a decade ago if you have Derrick Henry.

But in 2023 you have to pass the ball — and pass it a ton

My thoughts exactly-will be interesting to see how CBN's offense hold up in year 2

Rees will have a lot more talent at Alabama than at Notre Dame and will have better QBs than Ian Book, Jack Coan, and Drew Pyne, but can he adapt? Or does Nick Saban want to go back to power-running football? Rees isn’t horrible, but people complaining about Bill O’Brien may want him and his balanced attack back sooner than later.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...bama-texas-ou-to-the-sec-ainias-smiths-return

Notre Dame legend Tim Brown on Tommy Rees leaving: 'This is a great day for Irish football'​

"...I've been around a lot of offenses, but the Irish offense last year, with maybe the exception of the North Carolina game, was extremely predictable.

I was at a couple of games where it took everything in me not to go knock on the booth window and say give me the call sheet!!! "

https://www.on3.com/college/notre-d...aving-this-is-a-great-day-for-irish-football/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT