ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Gators Officially a Finalist for OT Samson Okunlola, Committing Thursday-12/15​

https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/florida-gators-recruiting-finalist-samson-okunlola

Okunlola announces his four finalists ahead of his college pledge — Florida, Miami, Alabama and Michigan State — on Wednesday.

Will we just be a hat on the table or do we have a real chance ?
3 different sites have him going to Miami, with us as his 2nd choice. I guess there's a chance - one place says about 28%.

He had a meeting with John Ruiz and got a deal done
Miami is working hard to be 2023's TAMU. It's looking good for them right now.

When all those UM recruits are hitting the portal in 2024 we will be right there to pick and choose.

Later Tater

Grayson McCall in transfer portal: Five destinations where Coastal Carolina QB could become NFL Draft prospect - Per CBS​

After the Birmingham Bowl on Dec. 27, McCall will be off to a new school.

McCall should have two seasons of eligibility remaining and plenty of suitors. As the only three-time Sun Belt Player of the Year in the conference's history, McCall has proven himself to be an accurate passer, effective runner and consistent winner. The Chanticleers have posted a 31-6 mark over the past three seasons during McCall's tenure at QB, which coincided with coach Jamey Chadwell's rise.

Chadwell, who is headed to Liberty to replace Hugh Freeze, employed a unique spread-option system at CCU with McCall at quarterback. The Chanticleers operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun but incorporated elements of the triple option into their scheme. Only six times in 34 career appearances has McCall attempted 30 or more passes in a game, and he's never topped 3,000 yards passing in a season.

But McCall has completed 70.4% of his passes with 78 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. He's also run for 1,053 yards and 16 touchdowns. So while the scheme McCall has played in has been unique, his production speaks for itself and should translate to other systems.

1. Liberty - reunion with Chadwell - former coach
2. NC State
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Oregon State or UCLA

Florida - Richardson made plenty of highlight-reel plays in Napier's first season at Florida, but his inaccuracy hampered the offense as he completed just 53.8% of his passes. McCall's career 70.4% completion percentage might look awfully appealing to Napier right now. McCall also threw fewer interceptions in three seasons as Coastal Carolina's starter (eight) than Richardson did just this season (nine).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-carolina-qb-could-become-nfl-draft-prospect/

Grayson McCall in transfer portal: Five destinations where Coastal Carolina QB could become NFL Draft prospect - Per CBS​

After the Birmingham Bowl on Dec. 27, McCall will be off to a new school.

McCall should have two seasons of eligibility remaining and plenty of suitors. As the only three-time Sun Belt Player of the Year in the conference's history, McCall has proven himself to be an accurate passer, effective runner and consistent winner. The Chanticleers have posted a 31-6 mark over the past three seasons during McCall's tenure at QB, which coincided with coach Jamey Chadwell's rise.

Chadwell, who is headed to Liberty to replace Hugh Freeze, employed a unique spread-option system at CCU with McCall at quarterback. The Chanticleers operated almost exclusively out of the shotgun but incorporated elements of the triple option into their scheme. Only six times in 34 career appearances has McCall attempted 30 or more passes in a game, and he's never topped 3,000 yards passing in a season.

But McCall has completed 70.4% of his passes with 78 touchdowns and just eight interceptions. He's also run for 1,053 yards and 16 touchdowns. So while the scheme McCall has played in has been unique, his production speaks for itself and should translate to other systems.

1. Liberty - reunion with Chadwell - former coach
2. NC State
3. Auburn
4. Florida
5. Oregon State or UCLA

Florida - Richardson made plenty of highlight-reel plays in Napier's first season at Florida, but his inaccuracy hampered the offense as he completed just 53.8% of his passes. McCall's career 70.4% completion percentage might look awfully appealing to Napier right now. McCall also threw fewer interceptions in three seasons as Coastal Carolina's starter (eight) than Richardson did just this season (nine).

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...-carolina-qb-could-become-nfl-draft-prospect/

I doubt any of the real top QBs come here unless Miller struggles in the bowl game.

I doubt any of the real top QBs come here unless Miller struggles in the bowl game.
Fever,

With Rashada & hopefully, Lagway on the horizon - you could be right.

Even though 247 gave Rashada a 5* rating, I am not overwhelmed with a true Fresh walking on campus - with or without spring practice & being anointed as QB1.

I hope Miller looks Great in the bowl game & gives us someone in spring practice to build our offense around.

I want Miller to draw a line in the sand & force Rashada to beat it & earn the QB1 job - IF he can.

Last edited:
Fever,

With Rashada & hopefully, Lagway on the horizon - you could be right.

Even though 247 gave Rashada a 5* rating, I am not overwhelmed with a true Fresh walking on campus - with or without spring practice & being anointed as QB1.

I hope Miller looks Great in the bowl game & gives us someone in spring practice to build our offense around.

I want Miller to draw a line in the sand & forces Rashada to beat it & earn the QB1 job - IF he can.
Yes, having a quarterback hit the portal because the competition is so tough can be a good thing. A lot better than a few years ago when all our transfers struggled.

his production speaks for itself and should translate to other systems. (unless his name is Maxine - TT)

Florida - Richardson made plenty of highlight-reel plays in Napier's first season at Florida, but his inaccuracy hampered the offense as he completed just 53.8% of his passes. McCall's career 70.4% completion percentage might look awfully appealing to Napier right now. McCall also threw fewer interceptions in three seasons as Coastal Carolina's starter (eight) than Richardson did just this season (nine). He's also run for 1,053 yards and 16 touchdowns.
Sometimes production stats matter, and at other times they are dismissed, depending on one's individual (TT - Maxine ***) bias.... 🙄

Only 2 seasons (Jr/Sr) playing organized football, Career Stats in 27 Gms:
(with good coaching he seemed to be a very fast learner)

Jr/Sr Passing - 4,416 Yds, 16.5 Yds/Comp, 71.1%, 68 TD's, 10 Ints.

(Sr season 41 TD's to 4 Ints)

Jr/Sr Rushing - 2,335 Yds, 7.1 YPC, 33 TD's, 1 LPF
(Sr season 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, ZERO LPF's)

Jr/Sr 27 Gms Combined - 6,751 Yds, 12 Yds/Play, 101 TD's, 11 TO's, QBR 141.3
Pedigree - Father was a WR for the Atlanta Falcons...

And to whom it may concern: Instead of asking me the stupid questions on why I like this kid, why don't you list all of the reasons that you don't like him, and show me the stats on the HS 5-stars that are supposedly so much better....

=====

QB Grayson McCall's *** - Max Prep stats can be found here:

Sometimes production stats matter, and at other times they are dismissed, depending on one's individual (TT - Maxine ***) bias.... 🙄

Only 2 seasons (Jr/Sr) playing organized football, Career Stats in 27 Gms:
(with good coaching he seemed to be a very fast learner)

Jr/Sr Passing - 4,416 Yds, 16.5 Yds/Comp, 71.1%, 68 TD's, 10 Ints.

(Sr season 41 TD's to 4 Ints)

Jr/Sr Rushing - 2,335 Yds, 7.1 YPC, 33 TD's, 1 LPF
(Sr season 7.8 YPC, 20 TD's, ZERO LPF's)

Jr/Sr 27 Gms Combined - 6,751 Yds, 12 Yds/Play, 101 TD's, 11 TO's, QBR 141.3
Pedigree - Father was a WR for the Atlanta Falcons...

And to whom it may concern: Instead of asking me the stupid questions on why I like this kid, why don't you list all of the reasons that you don't like him, and show me the stats on the HS 5-stars that are supposedly so much better....

=====

QB Grayson McCall's *** - Max Prep stats can be found here:
Hopefully Brown gets some snaps tomorrow. I like his stats from high school. But I also trust Napier to play the best option.

CG1, after watching Napier's 6-6, 3-5 results with a Heisman hopeful QB at his disposal in 2022, my trust is not very strong on the QB coaching or choosing portion.... (I'm kinda Old-School on this, -- Trust but Verify) 🤓

And when you have to keep on bringing in xfer QB's that someone else has coached up for you, that doesn't help my 'trust factor' very much....

2nd String QB Kyle Engel 6-1 190 rsSo ** Walk-on
Zero Passing or Rushing Stats in 2022
1 Game, 13 plays.....
That vast experience certainly qualifies him to be 2nd string over any true Fr in the bowl.....

Last edited:
CG1, after watching Napier's 6-6, 3-5 results with a Heisman hopeful QB at his disposal in 2022, my trust is not very strong on the QB coaching or choosing portion.... (I'm kinda Old-School on this, -- Trust but Verify) 🤓

And when you have to keep on bringing in xfer QB's that someone else has coached up for you, that doesn't help my 'trust factor' very much....

2nd String QB Kyle Engel 6-1 190 rsSo ** Walk-on
Zero Passing or Rushing Stats in 2022
1 Game, 13 plays.....
That vast experience certainly qualifies him to be 2nd string over any true Fr in the bowl.....
We will know better after year 2 once he has more of his own kids in place.

Miller (coached up elsewhere), and Brown are both his, as is incoming Rashada....

And so far, none of them have taken a snap at UF in a season game....

We will know better after year 2 once he has more of his own kids in place.

"He can take his-in and beat your-in, or he can take your-in and beat his-in."

Last edited:
Fever,

I hope you are right & Miller has a GREAT Bowl Game - which the GATORS WIN & they build the offense around him in Spring Practice & force Rashada to beat him out in the fall & prove he is ready for the SEC !

Obviously a slow day in sports media but here is another list of Transfer Portal QBs that some writer thinks Napier & UF either are or should be interested in.

Several of them previously discussed in this thread -
FWIW LOL

Grayson McCall – Coastal Carolina​

Graham Mertz – Wisconsin​

Devin Leary – North Carolina State​

Hudson Card – Texas​

D.J. Uiagalelei – Clemson​

Brennan Armstrong – Virginia​

Spencer Sanders – Oklahoma State​

https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/lists/florida-football-transfer-portal-quarterbacks-on3/

NOT on the list - Sam Hartman - Wake Forest

I thought Hartman was the best potential transfer QB.

During his four seasons with the Demon Deacons, Hartman has thrown for 8,962 yards and 69 touchdowns.

Evidently Wake boosters thought so too & have gotten his NIL$$$ up to par & he has decided to stay at Wake.

"...Sam Hartman is hoping for more of the same in Winston-Salem: a 2022 encore. Following one of the best seasons in program history, Hartman seemed to announced on his Instagram account that he plans to return to Wake Forest for the 2023 season.

Hartman was named Second Team All-ACC this season."

From Sam Hartman's Instagram: pic.twitter.com/sPSE8Vm4hT

https://accsports.com/acc-news/sam-hartman-will-return/

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
If Napier can't coach up either rsFR Brown or rFr Rashada for 2023, then the thing that's most needed for 2023 is hiring a REAL QB COACH....

Consider this: The Zookster took tFr Leak and beat 3 Consecutive Top 11 ranked SEC teams,,, on the road. That included the 2003 NC, one loss LSU in Death Valley.

Was the Zookster a better QB coach than Napier is????

If Napier can't coach up either rsFR Brown or rFr Rashada for 2023, then the thing that's most needed for 2023 is hiring a REAL QB COACH....

Consider this: The Zookster took tFr Leak and beat 3 Consecutive Top 11 ranked SEC teams,,, on the road. That included the 2003 NC, one loss LSU in Death Valley.

Is this a joke? Zook didn’t coach QBs.

That happened in Zook's 2nd season, not his first. Oh and how does Zook lose to Ole Piss in 2003?

Zook was busy fighting with frat boys...

I think Leary would be a good fit for the Gators.
Numbers,

I think most of them will stay put for any bowl games their teams may be involved in.

Also think that some of them are like Hartman at Wake & trying to get a raise in their NIL$$$.

Miller now a 3rd year player & tOSU didn't recruit him because he lacked talent in HS.

I, like Fever & others, want to see how Miller plays against Oregon State in the L V Bowl.
AND
I think Napier should give him every chance in spring practice to show his abilities before jumping on Another Transfer QB - who may not be any better & who won't know Napier's offense.

OL will be decent & we have 2 Excellent RBs; with two more on the way.

Transfer WRs & TEs critical.

If Miller can protect the ball - reduce turnovers - we will be OK on offense & can let Rashada develop - not wild about having a true Fresh as QB1.

I think our Defense - or lack thereof - is our biggest problem - your Noles ate us up in the 3rd Qtr - outscored us 17-0.

Transfer Portal Windows now in Effect
https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg.../college-football-transfer-portal-ncaa-change

The new rule created two transfer portal windows in college football and other sports:
  • 45 days "beginning the day following the championship selection,"
  • a 15 day period in the first two weeks of May at the end of spring practice, May 1-15
  • the two windows last a total of 60 days
  • "Reasonable accommodations" will be made for players in FBS and FCS national championship games.

Numbers,

I think most of them will stay put for any bowl games their teams may be involved in.

Also think that some of them are like Hartman at Wake & trying to get a raise in their NIL$$$.

Miller now a 3rd year player & tOSU didn't recruit him because he lacked talent in HS.

I, like Fever & others, want to see how Miller plays against Oregon State in the L V Bowl.
AND
I think Napier should give him every chance in spring practice to show his abilities before jumping on Another Transfer QB - who may not be any better & who won't know Napier's offense.

OL will be decent & we have 2 Excellent RBs; with two more on the way.

Transfer WRs & TEs critical.

If Miller can protect the ball - reduce turnovers - we will be OK on offense & can let Rashada develop - not wild about having a true Fresh as QB1.

I think our Defense - or lack thereof - is our biggest problem - your Noles ate us up in the 3rd Qtr - outscored us 17-0.

Transfer Portal Windows now in Effect
https://www.si.com/fannation/colleg.../college-football-transfer-portal-ncaa-change

The new rule created two transfer portal windows in college football and other sports:
  • 45 days "beginning the day following the championship selection,"
  • a 15 day period in the first two weeks of May at the end of spring practice, May 1-15
  • the two windows last a total of 60 days
  • "Reasonable accommodations" will be made for players in FBS and FCS national championship games.

The problem is if you wait until after Spring practice you will mostly only have the QBs that were beat out by other QBs. If we get a QB I really hope it's one who has already showed his play on the field. I guess a few decent veterans could get beat out by younger QBs though.

ADVERTISEMENT