ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Banks says the Florida Gators are #1 in his recruitment following his visit​

Louisville defensive line transfer Caleb Banks (6-7, 365, Southfield, Michigan).

Looks like he grew a little bit after HS ! LOL

DT or DE; at 365 lbs, may not be fast enough to play on the outside.

Now if Desmond Watson could get DOWN TO 365 lbs, might be a good set of DTs.

Play a 4-3-4 or more likely a 4-2-5 defensive alignment ?

https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...are-1-in-his-recruitment-following-his-visit/

Last edited:

Banks says the Florida Gators are #1 in his recruitment following his visit​

Louisville defensive line transfer Caleb Banks (6-7, 365, Southfield, Michigan).

Looks like he grew a little bit after HS ! LOL

DT or DE; at 365 lbs, may not be fast enough to play on the outside.

Now if Desmond Watson could get DOWN TO 365 lbs, might be a good set of DTs.

Play a 4-3-4 or more likely a 4-2-5 defensive alignment ?

https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...are-1-in-his-recruitment-following-his-visit/
Desmond and him side by side in the middle, lol, bringing back the great wall of Florida, who running up the middle now? ?

Reactions: PacoGator19
#54 DL Chris Thomas 6-6 290 *** Natl 441 - Florida xfer-out - Ft. Meyers, FL
Currently 6-5 314

#117 DL/SDE Caleb Banks 6-6 255 *** Natl 968 - Louisville xfer, Southfield, MI.
Currently 6-7 300

It's good to see the roster progress that's being made with the portal recruiting.

The trick is to know when to yap about the recruit rankings, and when to spew drivel about just trusting the coaches decisions.... 😁

How well did those fan opinions age???

Jeff, it might be time to let this one die out and begin another thread on these subjects....
😉

So why bother even recruiting unknown/unproven HS QB's at all.

Instead just scoop up 'already proven QB's' from the xfer portal....

Del Rio
Appleby
Zaire
Miller
Mertz or others.....

QB's that chose UF over all other offers coming out of HS:

Spurrier - Wuerffel - Tebow,,, with pretty good results...

The list of Xfer QB's with great success at UF???

QB's that chose UF over all other offers coming out of HS:

Spurrier - Wuerffel - Tebow,,, with pretty good results...

The list of Xfer QB's with great success at UF??
Times have changed and just because UF hasn’t been successful with transfers at the QB position doesn’t mean you can’t. We have also been successful with transfers at other positions.

Oh yeah all these QBs were transfers. Caleb Williams, Joe Burrow, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, etc. Yes they all are Heisman trophy winners.

This year it makes sense to bring in a QB even if it's a game manager. Maybe that person gets beat out - but if not at least you should have solid production.

Next year will be different with all the incoming talent we won't need a transfer at QB moving forward.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Times have changed and just because UF hasn’t been successful with transfers at the QB position doesn’t mean you can’t. We have also been successful with transfers at other positions.

Oh yeah all these QBs were transfers. Caleb Williams, Joe Burrow, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, etc. Yes they all are Heisman trophy winners.
Yes and 3 of those played for Lincoln Riley aka the QB guru. Not so sure Billy is the QB guru but maybe that will change.

This year it makes sense to bring in a QB even if it's a game manager. Maybe that person gets beat out - but if not at least you should have solid production.

Next year will be different with all the incoming talent we won't need a transfer at QB moving forward.

IF the coaching staff can't even coach up Max well enough to be a game manager at this point, then there's a real problem imo. His HS coach took him in as a Jr (1st year in organized football) and this is what he got. (71% + 7.8 YPC, 101 TD's to 11 TO's -- 24-0)
Maybe the Gator's need to hire Max's HS Football Coach....

Either they shouldn't have recruited Max, or they badly need a much better QB coach....
Is Max 'dumb-as-a-rock' stupid? (doubtful)
Does he not work, study, and learn? (that would stand out)
Or are they attempting to hide a coaching problem??? (seems most likely)
You bring in an xfer QB when you can't recruit or coach up one on your own....
😯

Claiming he's a raw/project is BS imo.
Give me the details on why that it. What are his glaring deficiencies at practice?
Because IF he's really that bad, then he should be in the portal outta here, because staying with Miller already anointed, Rashada coming in shortly, and Lagway in 2024, he won't ever play as a Gator....

JMOHO, but flipping Max from C.Mich and then leaving him to rot on the bench was a bad deal for Max, and the coaches should be ashamed of themselves. Wash, BC, and others wanted him after his de-commit to C.Mich, but he chose UF as a HS recruit when offered...

I don't know Max. I also don't know if he can play QB at the SEC level or not, but I can certainly recognize the Chit-end-of-the-Stick when I see it....
🤓

Last edited:
IF the coaching staff can't even coach up Max well enough to be a game manager at this point, then there's a real problem imo. His HS coach took him in as a Jr (1st year in organized football) and this is what he got. (71% + 7.8 YPC, 101 TD's to 11 TO's -- 24-0)

Either they shouldn't have recruited Max, or they badly need a much better QB coach....
😯

Give me the details on why that it. What are his glaring deficiencies at practice?
Because IF he's really that bad, then he should be in the portal outta here, because staying with Miller already anointed, Rashada coming in shortly, and Lagway in 2024, he won't ever play as a Gator....

JMOHO, but flipping Max from C.Mich and then leaving him to rot on the bench was a bad deal for Max, and the coaches should be ashamed of themselves. Wash, BC, and others wanted him after his de-commit to C.Mich, but he chose UF as a HS recruit when offered...

I don't know Max. I also don't know if he can play QB at the SEC level or not, but I can certainly recognize the Chit-end-of-the-Stick when I see it....
🤓
I don't disagree per se but I'd add the coaches are watching Max and not seeing something. Personally, I was hoping there'd be enough progress during the season that we wouldn't need a transfer.

😯

🤓

Napier says he has a lot to learn so maybe with the coming spring practices he can get up to speed. Its hard to say with QBs like him that mostly play easy competition because they get away with their physical advantages and you don't know if they will adapt to the college game real good or not. Its probably why he wasn't a real highly rated recruit despite his numbers in high school.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
The HC should describe the lack of progress in detail, not just some BS generalization with no follow up.
What exactly does he need to learn, that he's not learning, or is incapable of learning???
He picked up HS QB as a Jr (his 1st attempt at organized football) instantly and went undefeated.
=====

Brown played at the same competition level as Tebow did at Nease, and he was better at it....
He was the Okla 3-3A MVP his Sr year, only his 2nd year in organized football.
That looks like a very FAST LEARNER to me..... 🤓

A slow coaching staff claims that he has a LOT to learn?
Sounds like a teaching problem to me, going by AR's lack of consistent progress in 2022....

The HC should describe the lack of progress in detail, not just some BS generalization with no follow up.
What exactly does he need to learn, that he's not learning, or is incapable of learning???
He picked up HS QB as a Jr (his 1st attempt at organized football) instantly and went undefeated.
=====

Brown played at the same competition level as Tebow did at Nease, and he was better at it....

Sounds like a teaching problem to me, going by AR's lack of consistent progress in 2022....

Well Napier had to beat out our former coach McElwain at Central Michigan to land Brown. I don't think Brown was here for the Spring (not 100% sure on that though) so may be that is why he was kind of lost for a while.

The HC usually isn't going to go in much detail when it comes to things like that. You think a coach would usually just come out to reporters and say a player is struggling with the playbook unless that player had only been there for a few months?

Reactions: Nicktheslick
Was Max ever put on the field for just a series in one of the blowout games, just to see what he could do?

UF 52 - 17 E.Wash -35
UF 38 - 6 SCa -32

No, he instead rewarded the WO QB play, I geuss as a reward for hanging around for 3 years, so give the WO the ship and send the 3-star ship on down the road....

Projected Bowl Depth Chart -- Miller - Engel - Brown....

I don't KNOW squat, just my own speculation, but IF it was me in Brown's spot, I'd be outta here as soon as I had a good option.... The only way I'd stay is if they played me in the bowl and I did well leading into the Spring, with a decent shot at being the 2023 starter. But hey, we'll see eventually where this goes....

Well DJ Lagway committed to UF over USC so we certainly did a heck of a job recruiting him I would say. Riley has an impressive QB resume for sure.
Paco,

Agree about his QB resume.

His record in big games - CFP & conference CG isn't so hot though.

Most of his QBs fattened their stats on Big 12 teams where Defense was an after thought.

=====

If Brown is so freaking great as you claim him to be and this damn pedestal that you put him on then answer me one question. If he is from Oklahoma then why didnt the QB guru Lincoln Riley go after this kid?

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
And if Miller is so good, then show me his college stats that support your positions....

I've said before that 'at this point' I don't really care who plays QB here, so bring on Miller and go for the gold.... No more Brown for anything (except maybe baseball for O'Sul).
Miller's da-man....

And if Miller is so good, then show me his college stats that support your positions....

I've said before that 'at this point' I don't really care who plays QB here, so bring on Miller and go for the gold.... No more Brown for anything (except maybe baseball for O'Sul).
Miller's da-man....

It's hard to argue with Brown's stats.

Florida football: Grayson McCall is the Gators’ new number one QB target​

The transfer portal is always total chaos, and it’s been just that for Florida football over the past few weeks. From rumors about Sam Hartman and Devin Leary to Spencer Sanders trending toward the Gators, Florida fans have just about read it all.

Now, Napier and the Gators have a clear-cut top target in the portal: Coastal Carolina transfer Grayson McCall.

McCall is easily one of the most attractive QBs in the portal at this point. He battled through some injuries this season, as he only played in 10 of CC’s 12 games. Despite being beaten up, Grayson threw for 2,633 yards and 24 TDs, while also rushing for five scores and only throwing two interceptions.

For comparison’s sake, he’s just like some of the other transfer portal QBs relative to Anthony Richardson. He’ll give the Gators a major upgrade in the passing game but won’t have the same explosiveness on the ground that AR provided.

Coastal Carolina QB Grayson McCall has entered the transfer portal
He has passed for 8,019 yards and 78 touchdowns during his time at Coastal .

https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/12/12/florida-football-grayson-mccall/

Caleb Banks, transferring Louisville DL, announces SEC commitment to Gators​

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...rring-louisville-dl-announces-sec-commitment/
Caleb Banks was a member of Louisville’s 2021 recruiting class out of Southfield, Michigan.

But, with coach Scott Satterfield leaving for Cincinnati, Banks is also making a change ahead of the 2023 season.

On Sunday afternoon, Banks took to Twitter to reveal he was committing to coach Billy Napier and the Florida Gators for the 2023 season and beyond:

Caleb Banks, transferring Louisville DL, announces SEC commitment to Gators​

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...rring-louisville-dl-announces-sec-commitment/
Caleb Banks was a member of Louisville’s 2021 recruiting class out of Southfield, Michigan.

But, with coach Scott Satterfield leaving for Cincinnati, Banks is also making a change ahead of the 2023 season.

On Sunday afternoon, Banks took to Twitter to reveal he was committing to coach Billy Napier and the Florida Gators for the 2023 season and beyond:
I hope he makes as much of an impact the same way Jon Greenard did(also a Louisville transfer) for us in 2019. Really blows that Butters didn't offer Greenard a scholly.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando

Florida football: Grayson McCall is the Gators’ new number one QB target​

The transfer portal is always total chaos, and it’s been just that for Florida football over the past few weeks. From rumors about Sam Hartman and Devin Leary to Spencer Sanders trending toward the Gators, Florida fans have just about read it all.

Now, Napier and the Gators have a clear-cut top target in the portal: Coastal Carolina transfer Grayson McCall.

McCall is easily one of the most attractive QBs in the portal at this point. He battled through some injuries this season, as he only played in 10 of CC’s 12 games. Despite being beaten up, Grayson threw for 2,633 yards and 24 TDs, while also rushing for five scores and only throwing two interceptions.

For comparison’s sake, he’s just like some of the other transfer portal QBs relative to Anthony Richardson. He’ll give the Gators a major upgrade in the passing game but won’t have the same explosiveness on the ground that AR provided.

https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/12/12/florida-football-grayson-mccall/

From last May:

I hope he makes as much of an impact the same way Jon Greenard did(also a Louisville transfer) for us in 2019. Really blows that Butters didn't offer Greenard a scholly.

3rd and Grantham brought Greenard to UL.
Then later he got him to xfer to UF.
What a loser that crappy DC was....

3rd and Grantham brought Greenard to UL.
Then later he got him to xfer to UF.
What a loser that crappy DC was....
Your right, 3rd and Grantham is a garbage DC. Thankfully for Greenard, Grantham wasn't there long enough at Louisville to coach him. Oh I forgot, you're also a Butters lover.

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Bring in yet another xfer QB to compete with Miller, while (now 5-star Rashada and some other dude watch from the bench. MARVELOUS!

I guess bringing in xfer QB's that someone else has coached up, is cheaper than having a good QB coach for your own recruits....
😉

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT