ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis has a real situation of police brutality:

Then I'm curious why criminal charges haven't been filed yet.

Probably waiting for grand jury indictments. A crime was perhaps committed (sounds like it to me) but how much proof do they have vs the officers narratives?

Removing those cameras isn't a crime itself obviously. If the officers are claiming "whatever," it's better to wait for an indictment before you press criminal charges.

Now if an officer flips or tells a story that doesn't match the others stories, you could and probably should file charges prior to an indictment.

Reactions: BCSpell
Probably waiting for grand jury indictments. A crime was perhaps committed (sounds like it to me) but how much proof do they have vs the officers narratives?

Removing those cameras isn't a crime itself obviously. If the officers are claiming "whatever," it's better to wait for an indictment before you press criminal charges.

Now if an officer flips or tells a story that doesn't match the others stories, you could and probably should file charges prior to an indictment.
Florida handles the infamous nickel ride very quickly then.

Reactions: BamaFan1137
Florida handles the infamous nickel ride very quickly then.

That's a call that is made between the departmental leadership and the DA. I've seen it go both ways.

From a purely criminal vs civil liability standpoint, the safer bet is to wait for a grand jury. Add to that, the department has fired the officers (probably for removing their body cameras combined with a use of force incident) so there's no rush...other than possible public pressure of course.

Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
Corruption by 'Public Servants' should bring the harshest penalties, with the penalties climbing along with the climb in position/responsibility. Traitors to their Oaths of Office is imo, are some of the worst crimes anyone can commit. 😡

That said, what's going on in Memphis right now smells of higher up attempting to CTA's. While it doesn't alter what the Cops are accused of doing, I'd be looking higher up the food chain over this kind of crap.... 🤓

With the video being released it is now apparent that the MPD patrol zone cops were basically lawless scum bullying the community. They followed no protocols that I could see and basically beat the guy to death for a misdemeanor offence. It was nauseating to watch.

I still haven't seen it. I will watch it with my guys for training purposes but I'm not looking forward to it.

I still haven't seen it. I will watch it with my guys for training purposes but I'm not looking forward to it.
Just watched it. Horrible and totally unnecessary. The guy freaked out and ran over an alleged reckless driving stop. That was a terrible mistake on his part, but the rest of it is inexcusable on the cops part. The media that are trying to make this a racial issue should be stripped of their jobs and sent to Devil's Island in exile.

I still say that if the guy would NOT have resisted arrest...nothing would have happened. Now that does not excuse unlawful behavior...but WHY do many blacks resist arrest? 98% of these are after someone is resisting

Reactions: nail1988
I still say that if the guy would NOT have resisted arrest...nothing would have happened. Now that does not excuse unlawful behavior...but WHY do many blacks resist arrest? 98% of these are after someone is resisting
Resisting with violence is a 3rd degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a 5k fine.

Not death.

He was scared they were going to kill him I guess.

Maybe towards the end but that isn't why he was resisting early. That doesn't excuse what the 5 officers did later, however.

I've now watched it and it's disappointing and disgusting. The best take I've heard was from the Chief of Memphis PD. They failed at MANY levels, especially at gaining control of him and putting the ordeal to an end early. If they had done that, Tyre goes to jail and the officers would not have.

The tactics that they used were piss poor. Unbelievably piss poor. I cannot believe that they didn't have more training than that especially since they were members of a task force set up to address high crime areas. They had the training...they simply failed themselves and the community.

Maybe towards the end but that isn't why he was resisting early. That doesn't excuse what the 5 officers did later, however.

I've now watched it and it's disappointing and disgusting. The best take I've heard was from the Chief of Memphis PD. They failed at MANY levels, especially at gaining control of him and putting the ordeal to an end early. If they had done that, Tyre goes to jail and the officers would not have.

The tactics that they used were piss poor. Unbelievably piss poor. I cannot believe that they didn't have more training than that especially since they were members of a task force set up to address high crime areas. They had the training...they simply failed themselves and the community.
I was being cynical. But, the way they extracted him from the vehicle was enough to make most people scared for their lives especially a person with no priors like him.

I was being cynical. But, the way they extracted him from the vehicle was enough to make most people scared for their lives especially a person with no priors like him.
Tyre started it by refusing to get out of the vehicle. But the way they handled it was insane. They could have cuffed him quickly and put him the squad car. But they decided to be bullies instead.

Tyre started it by refusing to get out of the vehicle. But the way they handled it was insane. They could have cuffed him quickly and put him the squad car. But they decided to be bullies instead.
Another thing to remember, the general public is led to believe they do not have to obey authority even if it is a serious crime. The MSM has saturated the airwaves with misinformation that Cops will handle you with kiddie gloves after the George Floyd situation. When I was a Deputy we would have ordered the guy to exit his car and if he continued to act suspicious we have ordered him out by displaying our weapon until he complied under no circumstances would we go in his vehicle.

If I was truly scared of the police, I would become ridiculously compliant...so as to not give them an excuse.

Not saying that is right. Just saying that would be my strategy, personally.

Reactions: instaGATOR
When I was a Deputy we would have ordered the guy to exit his car and if he continued to act suspicious we have ordered him out by displaying our weapon until he complied under no circumstances would we go in his vehicle.

We will go in the vehicle if required. Every circumstance is its own and you weigh it based on its merits. Is it legal? Do you have cause and is that cause truly justified?

I don't know enough about what happened to begin this situation to say one way or another. However, once the decision is made by the shift leader, the person is coming out of their vehicle.

Once that call is made, the quicker that person is detained, the safer it is for everyone.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Regardless of why he didn't obey the punishment for being stupid isn't execution just yet.

Especially in a situation where the police officers mistakes compounded the man's mistakes.

Once the decision has been made based on the rule of law, maximum compulsion for the briefest amount of time possible.

If I was truly scared of the police, I would become ridiculously compliant...so as to not give them an excuse.

Not saying that is right. Just saying that would be my strategy, personally.
Arguing with a badge, gun, and/or taser isn't a winning strategy at all. You can beat the rap quite easily if you've done nothing wrong, but you are getting the ride anyway,

Arguing with a badge, gun, and/or taser isn't a winning strategy at all. You can beat the rap quite easily if you've done nothing wrong, but you are getting the ride anyway,
I've been telling my friends this for years, do you want to sue the city yourself or do you want your family to get paid for your death?

So this is kind of surprising to me. I think what is happening in America today concerning LEO's is pretty obvious. Really good people, good workers know that they can get a job just about anywhere they want. With the defund the police movement, cashless bail, Soros appointed DA's letting violent people right back on the street without charges...how many "good" people are choosing to stay in law enforcement? Now not EVERY city and state have these problems, however their IS one common denominator.....LEFT WING RAN CITIES!! They treat the criminals BETTER than they do the victims...and the police. Because of likely poor starting pay, HORRIBLE working conditions, assassinations etc...good people do not want to work in these chithole lib cities!

Well let me ask you how many people that were 100% complying with the police have you seen dragged out of their vehicle and been beaten? I like my odds in my opinion. Never has happened to me!
"On the house" ass whippings are common. You do get that 5 officers wearing bodycams beat a suspect to death. You think that's a one off occurrence? I'd be willing to bet every one of those officers has used excessive force before.

What happened here is someone died. 20 years ago nobody would have heard about it.

"It's never happened to me so it's never happened" is an argument utterly devoid of logic.

Remind me how many years you were a LEO or a person of color.

"On the house" ass whippings are common. You do get that 5 officers wearing bodycams beat a suspect to death. You think that's a one off occurrence? I'd be willing to bet every one of those officers has used excessive force before.

What happened here is someone died. 20 years ago nobody would have heard about it.

"It's never happened to me so it's never happened" is an argument utterly devoid of logic.

Remind me how many years you were a LEO or a person of color.
What boggles my mind is that they did that crap knowing they wore body cams. One person doing it, I'd chalk up to a mentally loose cannon. 5 of them? WTF were they thinking? :oops:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT