ADVERTISEMENT

Mark my word - house flippers will NOT regret their decisions

As long as they get the concessions they want, I dont have a problem with it.

This is how politics is supposed to work. My only quibble was with the pubs not having this hammered out before Tuesday.

Reactions: jhgator and BCSpell
As long as they get the concessions they want, I dont have a problem with it.

This is how politics is supposed to work. My only quibble was with the pubs not having this hammered out before Tuesday.
It's a long 2 years. A lot will happen that we will not be happy about. Watch and see. And I even wonder if he'll do what they are presently asking. If they really want change, then make it happen. The swamp is the swamp period. These few patriots have my utmost respect. Everyone else is or will be compromised. This is the end to the republican party if he does get this. Him and McConnell are republican death. But then again, we have so many people who are happy with the status quo. We've lost our vision of a Constitutional Republic a long time ago and as of today it shows. We are not a founding-father America.

Evidently McCarthy thought they did as he moved into the Speakers office before they even held the first vote.
I'm telling you if the curtains could be pulled back to view every single person in congress as they truly are, we'd want to send them all packing, except a select few left staggering about from all the evil being spewed their way. Ronny Jackson represents my district and he got a letter from me stating he no longer has my support.

What this whole thing confirms..is how many establishment RINO's we have, which bring out serious political differences...and how democrats are about
ONE thing...agenda...and perfectly stick together to accomplish them
Yeah. Remember how vocal AOC and the Squad were against Pelosi, but when push came to shove, they voted her in every time.

It's great to see you're still around, ghost of brainl...err, Mr Freeeeezzzze!

cold-miser.gif

I know the game of politics has to be played but Trump better hope McCarthy doesn't do something really crazy the next 2 years like allowing a vote on legislation most Reps clearly oppose.

I know the game of politics has to be played but Trump better hope McCarthy doesn't do something really crazy the next 2 years like allowing a vote on legislation most Reps clearly oppose.
One of the FC members can motion to vacate and McCarthy will have to win 218 if he wants to stay on as speaker.

Basically the FC can just burn the whole thing down if he starts acting like a democrat.

One of the FC members can motion to vacate and McCarthy will have to win 218 if he wants to stay on as speaker.

Basically the FC can just burn the whole thing down if he starts acting like a democrat.
This is what the big fight was about. I'm finally getting it. I know next to nothing about House rules and procedures. The FC fought to get a poison pill provision to be able hold McCarthy's feet to the fire. They succeeded in getting it.

Reactions: Gator Fever

This is what the big fight was about. I'm finally getting it. I know next to nothing about House rules and procedures. The FC fought to get a poison pill provision to be able hold McCarthy's feet to the fire. They succeeded in getting it.
I do want to know what sparked the final outburst that led to the vote happening.

IF the last FC holdouts (Biggs, Gaetz, Boebert, other guy) were holding out for the poison pill, then it all makes sense. Have everyone else fold so it creates a scenario where McCarthy is only a couple votes away from winning, then he's willing to come to the holdouts and give them what they want.

And it appears MTG was playing McCarthy the whole time. I wonder if her 'feud' with Boebert wasn't a hoax as well.

This is some 5D Chess being played, and I think we all know who is the only person brilliant enough to put such a plan in place:
main-qimg-7c7427a26f9afb9261d835925e8afc00-lq

I do want to know what sparked the final outburst that led to the vote happening.

IF the last FC holdouts (Biggs, Gaetz, Boebert, other guy) were holding out for the poison pill, then it all makes sense. Have everyone else fold so it creates a scenario where McCarthy is only a couple votes away from winning, then he's willing to come to the holdouts and give them what they want.

And it appears MTG was playing McCarthy the whole time. I wonder if her 'feud' with Boebert wasn't a hoax as well.

This is some 5D Chess being played, and I think we all know who is the only person brilliant enough to put such a plan in place:
I watched a little of this around midnight in the final vote. Gaetz wasn't on the floor when his name was called, came in later and was the last or one of the last to vote. So that makes sense.

If they did get a true poison pill on some stuff it was definitely worth the long holdup. McCarthy can't be trusted but his ego probably wanted the title of House Speaker even more.

I watched a little of this around midnight in the final vote. Gaetz wasn't on the floor when his name was called, came in later and was the last or one of the last to vote. So that makes sense.
During the end of the next to last vote, the guy that nominated McCarthy came over to Gaetz and started talking to him. It was obvious from his mannerisms he was trying to convince Gaetz to go along with him. Gaetz obviously wasn't listening.

Then McCarthy walks over. Gaetz gets irritated, starts yelling and pointing. McCarthy just walks off. Then the bubba from Bama rushes down and starts screaming at Gaetz and has to be restrained.

Then they have the vote to adjourn. Gaetz votes yes then with a few mins later suddenly he rushes down and changes his vote to stay, then McCarthy jumps up and does the same thing and starts telling everyone else to vote to stay too.

So obviously, whatever impasse they had was breached when Gaetz agreed to stay and switch his vote from Jordan to Present.

I just don't know what that impasse was. I'm sure McCarthy gave him something, was the poison pill?

Reactions: NavigatorII
I just don't know what that impasse was. I'm sure McCarthy gave him something, was the poison pill?
I posted this in the other thread, but I just saw an article from Jan 2nd that said that McCarthy's original offer was for it taking FIVE members of the House to move for the motion to vacate and the vote. The article then said the FC wanted it down to 1.

So at some point, McCarthy obviously caved on that. I'm gonna assume that's what he caved on late last night that prompted them to immediately vote him in.

Reactions: NavigatorII

That's the list of what they got. Basically, the Freedom Caucus runs the House now. AND the America First/MAGA wing of the FC.

@kjfreeze I think this is better than anyone could have hoped for. I'm pumped!
The term limits vote is going to be crucial. Can you imagine the dumb shits in the house removed the 60% threshold and in the end it caused them to end their careers?

The term limits vote is going to be crucial. Can you imagine the dumb shits in the house removed the 60% threshold and in the end it caused them to end their careers?

Do you know why they are messing with that? The SC told them back in the 90s when the states tried it on their federal politicians that you need an actual constitutional amendment to do that. Do they think the current SC would take the issue up again?

Reactions: fatman76
Do you know why they are messing with that? The SC told them back in the 90s when the states tried it on their federal politicians that you need an actual constitutional amendment to do that. Do they think the current SC would take the issue up again?
With a conservative majority, it’s possible

I think it’s very possible Gaetz was holding the line and after the 14th vote (and that near fight) McCarthy finally folded and gave in.
That’s at least how I want it to have played out in my head.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I looked it up and you’re right.

It’s most likely going to take a Constitutional Amendment to enact term limits.

Edit: But I do think a vote would be interesting, just to show where we are on it. A good first step.

With a conservative majority, it’s possible

I think it might be pandering to the right a little. When you read the 4 conservatives dissent on that 1995 term limit case the conservatives were saying the states had the right to impose term limits on their congressman but federal legislation couldn't do it. I guess it could be a roundabout way for the issue to be heard again to get a ruling allowing individual states to be able to do it.

I think it might be pandering to the right a little. When you read the 4 conservatives dissent on that 1995 term limit case the conservatives were saying the states had the right to impose term limits on their congressman but federal legislation couldn't do it. I guess it could be a roundabout way for the issue to be heard again to get a ruling allowing individual states to be able to do it.
Interesting, is this a state by state case or would all states have to agree to term limits? Would a 60% vote be needed?

Interesting, is this a state by state case or would all states have to agree to term limits? Would a 60% vote be needed?
No they took up either one state's term limits attempt on US congress or a couple out of a bunch of states that passed laws at the time and the dissenters which would be like the majority now said unlike the SC 5-4 ruling the individual states can impose term limits on their own congressman. So I think even if they got something through to say only the states could do it then the lefty states would all refuse to do it while the many of the red states would. Both sides seemed to agree the Feds cant do it without a constitutional amendment and states wouldn't be able to force other states to do it without an amendment that would never happen.

No they took up either one state's term limits attempt on US congress or a couple out of a bunch of states that passed laws at the time and the dissenters which would be like the majority now said unlike the SC 5-4 ruling the individual states can impose term limits on their own congressman. So I think even if they got something through to say only the states could do it then the lefty states would all refuse to do it while the many of the red states would. Both sides seemed to agree the Feds cant do it without a constitutional amendment and states wouldn't be able to force other states to do it without an amendment that would never happen.
That makes a lot a sense, I just learned something new today lol

I think it’s very possible Gaetz was holding the line and after the 14th vote (and that near fight) McCarthy finally folded and gave in.
That’s at least how I want it to have played out in my head.
I went back and looked and I believe that was the vote where Gaetz missed the first call and voted at the end and voted Present.

But that vote officially knocked McCarthy out, I think he had 216 that vote. I think that's what prompted McCarthy to go to Gaetz. I think McCarty said 'Matt, buddy, what do we have to do to make this happen??' Gaetz likely told him you know what I want, McCarthy said fine and folded, and here we are.

But at the end of the day, notice that after all week of McCarthy/MTG vs Gaetz/Biggs/Boebert, who is the ONE person that both sides agree they love and who helped get this deal done?

Donald John Trump. Our President Trump is, for all intents and purposes, the new Speaker of the House.

Reactions: fatman76

1. As has been reported, it will only take a single congressperson, acting in what is known as a Jeffersonian Motion, to move to remove the Speaker if he or she goes back on their word or policy agenda.
  2. A “Church” style committee will be convened to look into the weaponization of the FBI and other government organizations (presumably the CIA, the subject of the original Church Committee) against the American people.
  3. Term limits will be put up for a vote.
  4. Bills presented to Congress will be single subject, not omnibus with all the attendant earmarks, and there will be a 72-hour minimum period to read them.
  5. The Texas Border Plan will be put before Congress. From The Hill: “The four-pronged plan aims to ‘Complete Physical Border Infrastructure,’ ‘Fix Border Enforcement Policies,’ ‘Enforce our Laws in the Interior’ and ‘Target Cartels & Criminal Organizations.'”
  6. COVID mandates will be ended as will all funding for them, including so-called “emergency funding.”
  7. Budget bills would stop the endless increases in the debt ceiling and hold the Senate accountable for the same.
----------------------------------------------
# 1 and # 2 sound good though we know there will be no true accountability for the FBI.
# 3 probably never does anything in reality.
#4 Sounds great if they really follow through. How will the Ukraine dirty money laundry operation continue once what is allocated runs out?
#5 isn't going anywhere unless we get a Rep POTUS.
# 6 sounds good but not sure how much is already in place as far as funding.
# 7 is probably fantasy in reality.

I have no illusions that a term limit vote would pass, at least not at first. I think it's important to get it to the floor and find out exactly who supports, and who doesn't.

If they can ever get it in the House, then that all but assures the Senate will have to follow suit.

That could end up being the biggest concession of all, and that's saying something for everything America is getting.

Reactions: BillCutting4585
I have no illusions that a term limit vote would pass, at least not at first. I think it's important to get it to the floor and find out exactly who supports, and who doesn't.

If they can ever get it in the House, then that all but assures the Senate will have to follow suit.

That could end up being the biggest concession of all, and that's saying something for everything America is getting.

How is that a big concession when the Senate would never go along?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT