ADVERTISEMENT

Marjorie Taylor Greene says student loan forgiveness is 'completely unfair' despite the fact her company had loans worth $183,504 forgiven

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
Is anyone really surprised?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/marjorie-taylor-greene-says-student-110707728.html
Marjorie Taylor Greene says student loan forgiveness is 'completely unfair' despite the fact her company had loans worth $183,504 forgiven
Beatrice Nolan
Thu, August 25, 2022 at 7:07 AM·2 min read

6r3kgb.jpg

• Marjorie Taylor Greene has criticized Biden's student loan forgiveness plan announced on Wednesday.
  • Speaking on Newsmax TV, she called the student loan relief "completely unfair."
  • Taylor Greene's company had $183,504 in PPP loans forgiven in April 2020, according to public data.
Marjorie Taylor Greene criticized Biden's student loan forgiveness plans as "completely unfair," despite records showing that her own company had $183,504 worth of Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) loans forgiven in 2020.

The Republican politician and businesswoman was speaking on US conservative news network, Newsmax TV.

On Wednesday, the Biden administration announced plans to forgive $10,000 of student debt for most borrowers, fulling a campaign promise and extending relief to millions of borrowers. Any US residents earning less than $125,000 are set to be eligible for the loan forgiveness.

In her interview, Taylor Greene said the plan was unfair to taxpayers who had never taken out a student loan.

She added that she opposed the student loan program in place in the US, saying: "There should not be a system in place that allows them and encourages them to pile up massive debt in these big colleges and universities."

Data from ProPublica, a tracking site that uses data from the Small Business Association, shows that Taylor Green was one of several Republican members of Congress who had private loans forgiven.

The data shows that the total amount forgiven was $183,504, which represented full forgiveness of the original $182,300 loan plus the accrued interest. The majority of the relief issued in April 2020 was used for payroll, per the data.

The Small Business Association did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment on the loan. The request was made outside normal working hours.

Taylor Greene's website states that she and her husband Perry Greene bought her family's construction business Taylor Commercial Inc, prior to her election.

Representatives for Taylor Commercial Inc and Marjorie Taylor Greene did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment made outside of normal working hours.

Taylor Greene also criticized the Biden administration as having a purely political agenda for the student loan plan, telling Newsmax TV that he was looking "to bring in blue votes in November."

I never had a student loan either...worked while attending UF

But Taylor-Greene's hypocrisy is pretty apparent

she belongs in the squad, they need a mirror, what a complete idiot. the goernment unfair???? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it cannot be!!!!

I was on scholarship so no student loans. I was referring to loans in general.

When my wife and I started our first business, we survived because we had a garden and a freezer full of meat. There was one month that I still don't know how we made it through. But we did.

she belongs in the squad, they need a mirror, what a complete idiot. the goernment unfair???? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, it cannot be!!!!

You're always critical of non-fiscally conservative policy, right?

This sounds like an area where you could find some common ground with her? But it's the R, isn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: Mdfgator
You're always critical of non-fiscally conservative policy, right?

This sounds like an area where you could find some common ground with her? But it's the R, isn't it?
youre joking, i am not for this obviously my point is much larger, the real issues are yuuuuuuuge, this is a joke, ii moves the titanic one or 2 centimeters. But yes, i am not for stimi of any kind.

Last edited:
Reactions: BamaFan1137
youre joking, i am not for this obviously my point is much larger, the real issues are yuuuuuuuge, this is a joke, ii moves the titanic one or 2 centimeters. But yes, i am not for stimi of any kind.

I'm just saying...I typically notice that your comments slant in one direction...whether or not you agree with the Republican on a particular fiscal issue.

That's fine. I do it too...just pointing it out. Neither of us are ACTUALLY politically unaffiliated.

• Haha
I'm just saying...I typically notice that your comments slant in one direction...whether or not you agree with the Republican on a particular fiscal issue.

That's fine. I do it too...just pointing it out. Neither of us are ACTUALLY politically unaffiliated.
of course they do i am not on a moderate board i am on a raging trumptard board. i pull in the direction thats needed...i do the same if i am surrounded by libs.

Are you against the GI Bill from a ideological perspective?
That was government stimulus

Do you want to pay real food prices without government stimulus?

Wanna pay airline fares without government stimulus?

Wanna pay the real price for gasoline?

The Environmental and Energy Study Institute found that the US government alone spends $20 billion every year on direct fossil fuel subsidies. Of that figure, around $16 billion goes towards oil and gas, while the remaining $4 billion benefits the coal industry.Mar 28, 2022

Which energy source is most subsidized in the US? - AS USA​

https://en.as.com › 2022/03/29 › latest_news

How much does ExxonMobil get in subsidies?

Woods: ExxonMobil currently benefits from a wide range of very generous federal tax subsidies, ranging from the tax exemption on Foreign Oil and Gas Extraction Income (FOGEI) to the Last-In, First-Out (LIFO) accounting method. Every year, these tax subsidies cost the American taxpayer an average of $12 to $19 billion.May 2, 2022

May 2, 2022 Mr. Darren Woods Chief Executive Officer ExxonMobil ...​

Do you want to pay real food prices without government stimulus?

Wanna pay airline fares without government stimulus?

Wanna pay the real price for gasoline?

The Environmental and Energy Study Institute found that the US government alone spends $20 billion every year on direct fossil fuel subsidies. Of that figure, around $16 billion goes towards oil and gas, while the remaining $4 billion benefits the coal industry.Mar 28, 2022

Which energy source is most subsidized in the US? - AS USA

https://en.as.com › 2022/03/29 › latest_news

How much does ExxonMobil get in subsidies?

Woods: ExxonMobil currently benefits from a wide range of very generous federal tax subsidies, ranging from the tax exemption on Foreign Oil and Gas Extraction Income (FOGEI) to the Last-In, First-Out (LIFO) accounting method. Every year, these tax subsidies cost the American taxpayer an average of $12 to $19 billion.May 2, 2022

May 2, 2022 Mr. Darren Woods Chief Executive Officer ExxonMobil ...

for the most part i am agianst the governmetn getting its hands in private industry, it isnt curative. i would prefer the leveling be done through the tax code, in a fair and balanced way. subsidies are mostly about votes not helping people. just look at housing prices, how is this good for society??? we are turning our middle class into serfs, asset bubbles, driven by government largesses are brutal.

• Love
Reactions: nail1988
for the most part i am agianst the governmetn getting its hands in private industry, it isnt curative. i would prefer the leveling be done through the tax code, in a fair and balanced way. subsidies are mostly about votes not helping people. just look at housing prices, how is this good for society??? we are turning our middle class into serfs, asset bubbles, driven by government largesses are brutal.

I respect the desire for markets free of government intrusion
But when has that EVER existed?

If government stayed out of the private sector we wouldn't have child labor laws either

Simple questions...

Was the GI Bill a good thing or not?
Was NASA a good idea?

You didn't ask me...so of course I will answer.

It was a stimulus insofar as we needed to stimulate people into joining the military. Also to stimulate talented, driven people to the military.

However, that "stimulus" is absolutely earned by the people receiving it. It sure as hell isn't some $1,400 check for simply being born with a pulse.

I respect the desire for markets free of government intrusion
But when has that EVER existed?

If government stayed out of the private sector we wouldn't have child labor laws either

Simple questions...

Was the GI Bill a good thing or not?
Was NASA a good idea?
i never said we shouldnt have laws, i said i think we are better off without the govenment choosing who, what and when to stimulate.... its not curative.

Reactions: BamaFan1137

It was a stimulus insofar as we needed to stimulate people into joining the military. Also to stimulate talented, driven people to the military.

However, that "stimulus" is absolutely earned by the people receiving it. It sure as hell isn't some $1,400 check for simply being born with a pulse.
it would have been better to simply up their pay if that was what the market dictated.

The GI Bill was enacted AFTER WWII to give incentives for college education & housing for those who served

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Bill
The Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944, commonly known as the G.I. Bill, was a law that provided a range of benefits for some of the returning World War II veterans (commonly referred to as G.I.s). The original G.I. Bill expired in 1956, but the term "G.I. Bill" is still used to refer to programs created to assist some of the U.S. military veterans.

Read up on our history and try again

it would have been better to simply up their pay if that was what the market dictated.

That doesn't actually help you with the "more driven" aspect. The educational opportunities do.

Also, the GI bill is more efficient as many of these entitlements go unclaimed or just partially claimed whereas money on a check would always be 100% claimed.

The GI Bill was enacted AFTER WWII to give incentives for college education & housing for those who served

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Bill
The Servicemen's Readjustment Act of 1944, commonly known as the G.I. Bill, was a law that provided a range of benefits for some of the returning World War II veterans (commonly referred to as G.I.s). The original G.I. Bill expired in 1956, but the term "G.I. Bill" is still used to refer to programs created to assist some of the U.S. military veterans.

Read up on our history and try again

So why is it still offered again?

Do you ever complete a thought?

So why is it still offered again?

Do you ever complete a thought?

Its offered now as an incentive to get people to join the military

It was a benefit (handout) when it was enacted...its an incentive (handout) now

Aren't you against all government incentives?

Also, how is the added benefit any different from increasing the pay with regard to it being a stimulus.

Spent money is still spent money...used to stimulate a particular result.

That doesn't actually help you with the "more driven" aspect. The educational opportunities do.

Also, the GI bill is more efficient as many of these entitlements go unclaimed or just partially claimed whereas money on a check would always be 100% claimed.
its not a position i enjoy, i support our military, i simply dont like stimulating different parts of the eonomy based on vote getting which is what it is 90+% of the time. i think driven people are driven, if they want to be plumbers great, stock brokers great, lawyers great... society should have avenues of assistance, for people that want to help themselves.

i never said we shouldnt have laws, i said i think we are better off without the govenment choosing who, what and when to stimulate.... its not curative.

Government expenditures are exactly what you're against

If the taxpayers want certain expenditures paid for by their money are you saying the government shouldn't listen to them?

Loan forgiveness was wanted by the majority of republican, democratic, and independent voters

Its offered now as an incentive to get people to join the military

Which is exactly what I said. So good point. You make those more often when you agree with me.

It was a benefit (handout) when it was enacted...its an incentive (handout) now

I have a difficult time referring to a benefit given to WWII soldier, who survived somewhat intact, a handout. But I digress.

Aren't you against all government incentives?

It doesn't appear so in this case...which I made clear above in my initial response. Did you not read it or did you not understand it?

Also, how is the added benefit any different from increasing the pay with regard to it being a stimulus.

Spent money is still spent money...used to stimulate a particular result.
its not targeted, if they want to incent enrollment pay better. like anything else.

Government expenditures are exactly what you're against

If the taxpayers want certain expenditures paid for by their money are you saying the government shouldn't listen to them?

Loan forgiveness was wanted by the majority of republican, democratic, and independent voters
no, i am not opposed to government expenditures, i am agianst ones we cannot afford and that are targeted to a portion of the population. taxpayors are not the ones that determine the expenditure, the tax paying base is very narrow in this country. the vast majority of poeple are net takers, not givers.

Your benefits are part of your compensation. So that is what they are doing.
its stimulus to the housing market. its all fun and games in the beginning until you get to where we are now, affordability is as bad as its ever been.

Which is exactly what I said. So good point. You make those more often when you agree with me.
I have a difficult time referring to a benefit given to WWII soldier, who survived somewhat intact, a handout. But I digress.
It doesn't appear so in this case...which I made clear above in my initial response. Did you not read it or did you not understand it?

bama translation: I like incentives that I understand & agree with even though I reserve the right to claim they're unfair & unconstitutional when I don't like them :rolleyes:

no, i am not opposed to government expenditures, i am agianst ones we cannot afford and that are targeted to a portion of the population.

So you aren't against the subsidies to agriculture, airline, & oil industries then?

taxpayors are not the ones that determine the expenditure,

Taxpayers voted in a WH, House, & Senate that ran on this

the tax paying base is very narrow in this country. the vast majority of poeple are net takers, not givers.

last we checked 53 percent of households were taxpayers, right?

And paying taxes isn't a requirement to vote either right?

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/26506/901527-Five-Myths-About-the-Percent.pdf
As Mitt Romney recently noted, about 47 percent of U.S. households do not pay federal income taxes. Some see this as evidence of a welfare state run amok. Others think that gimmicks and loopholes let both rich and poor Americans duck their taxes. This commentary corrects some misconceptions about this group, now colloquially called the 47 percent.

• Haha
bama translation: I like incentives that I understand & agree with even though I reserve the right to claim they're unfair & unconstitutional when I don't like them :rolleyes:

Ray translation: I have a stick up my a$$ and I can't understand how others use common sense and flexibility

Not all stimulus is created equal. That's a super complex concept???

Ray translation: I have a stick up my a$$ and I can't understand how others use common sense and flexibility

Not all stimulus is created equal. That's a super complex concept???

So the economic problem that the student debt crisis causes isn't worthy?

So you aren't against the subsidies to agriculture, airline, & oil industries then?

Taxpayers voted in a WH, House, & Senate that ran on this

last we checked 53 percent of households were taxpayers, right?

And paying taxes isn't a requirement to vote either right?

https://www.urban.org/sites/default/files/publication/26506/901527-Five-Myths-About-the-Percent.pdf
As Mitt Romney recently noted, about 47 percent of U.S. households do not pay federal income taxes. Some see this as evidence of a welfare state run amok. Others think that gimmicks and loopholes let both rich and poor Americans duck their taxes. This commentary corrects some misconceptions about this group, now colloquially called the 47 percent.
i dont like subsidies not sure how much more clear i can be, i would rather not comment on anyone in particular, which was why i posted in here to begin with, i dont love this subsidy but it goes to a very long list. i dont do selective outrage. 53% thats not even close, a net taxpayor is likely no more than 5-10%. and they are not the ones that vote in the candidates, the candidates are placed by the very very top of the food chain and voted on by the masses, of which very few are net taxpayors.

Exactly...but republicans take their handouts and call all others "unfair" & "unconstitutional"
everyone takes their handouts and cries about other handouts...the largest handouts come via the tax code and the monetary system. so yes, the well to do get the vast majority of the handouts in the country. thats where i prefer to focus, but it makes shitty politics and most people cannot follow, so here we are. arguing about small potatoes.

i dont like subsidies not sure how much more clear i can be, i would rather not comment on anyone in particular, which was why i posted in here to begin with, i dont love this subsidy but it goes to a very long list. i dont do selective outrage. 53% thats not even close, a net taxpayor is likely no more than 5-10%. and they are not the ones that vote in the candidates, the candidates are placed by the very very top of the food chain and voted on by the masses, of which very few are net taxpayors.

Alright I won't expand the debate to who really elects the representatives

But 5-10% are net tax payers?
Are you considering all of the types of taxes you pay...or just income tax?

Basically no one escapes sales tax...rich or poor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT