ADVERTISEMENT

Marcel Harris Out for Season

This is where oozie is right about unbalanced recruiting. Last year we made a haul at DB, but Macs first two years were pretty weak. We may be starting a true freshman

I still feel strong about 3/4 of the secondary with Gardner, Dawson, and Washington. Idk who fills into that other safety spot though. One thing that worries me with this is Harris wasn't our best DB but he might have been most important for our defense. Just because at least under Collins he allowed us to stay in a nickel defense and not lose much against the run since we could use him as a hybrid S/LB.

The 2016 & 2017 recruiting class has had good numbers of DBs. That position hasn't had unbalanced recruiting.

The 2016 & 2017 recruiting class has had good numbers of DBs. That position hasn't had unbalanced recruiting.

The 2016 class had 4 DB, Gardner and two 3* and a 2*. Outside of Gardner not a ton of quality there. Regardless, we'll see to an even greater degree how well Mac can build a defense

2016 had 5 DB commits, but only Gardner will be a serious contributor from that group. Putu got passed up last year and McWilliams and guys like Lenton aren't in line for any PT this year either. That's why we're expecting so much from the freshmen signed in 2017.

2016 had 5 DB commits, but only Gardner will be a serious contributor from that group. Putu got passed up last year and McWilliams and guys like Lenton aren't in line for any PT this year either. That's why we're expecting so much from the freshmen signed in 2017.

Move Putu or Burnett to one CB spot and Gardner to the safety position?

Lenton was out hurt all of last year. He's expected to battle for PT in the fall. Losing Harris is a blow to the secondary though.

Move Putu or Burnett to one CB spot and Gardner to the safety position?

I wouldn't like that move if we go to a base 4-3. It really depends on what Shannon does with the defense though. If we remain in a 4-2-5 base I'd like to see Gardner at FS since I think he has the best traits to be a single high type safety. Then move Washington to a weak safety role and use someone like Taylor at the strong safety role. Then trot out Dawson and one of the freshmen at corner and you can shade Gardner to the freshman's side and with his speed he can play everything over the top.

Isn't Gardner most suited for FS? Thought I read he was going there after this season. And again, we recruited numbers in '16, just not a lot of quality

Gardner was at corner in the spring. I think he can be elite there and would prefer an elite corner over an elite safety any day. I'm just saying he has the size and speed to play everything over the top if we end up having to start a freshman corner. He'd protect the whole secondary.

Sad day for Gator fans and for SS Marcell Harris.
Torn Achilles Tendon, out for the entire 2017 season.... (jus-damn) :(

True Fr starters in the secondary happens almost yearly at UF. No worries on that account imo. :cool:

Looking anywhere and everywhere for a possible silver lining to that news is tough,,, however:

Try keeping in mind that some of these guys that haven't played much, were waiting their turns behind 6 guys that are all in the NFL now. It was not from a lack of talent. o_O

FS/SS Nick Washington 6-0 197 rsSr
CB/FS Joseph Putu 6-2 195 Sr
FS/CB Chauncey Gardener 5-11 204 So
DB Jeawon Taylor 6-0 187 So
-----
S/DB Quincy Lenton 5-11 202 rsFr
DB C.J. McWilliams 5-11 171 rsFr
S Donovan Stiner 6-1 194 Fr
S Shawn Davis 5-11 185 Fr
DB Brian Edwards 6-2 183 Fr

So while Harris is a huge loss for the Gator secondary, it's not like the cupboard is bare...
Fall Practice will determine what positions that the many different possibilities will end up playing.

I have zero 'inside info' on this, it's just what seems to be with me looking at it.
Gardener likely goes to Marcell's S spot.
Somebody else (likely a couple of them), steps into the CB opposite of Dawson. This just makes the Fall Practice look at the secondary more interesting to watch.

Something that no one else seems to have considered as a possible replacement for a SS with Harris's size: o_O

44. OLB Rayshad Jackson 6-0 226 rsSo - Miami
34. OLB Lacefrick Brunson 6-2 220 Fr - Maimi
40. OLB Nick Smith 6-1 213 Fr - Orlando
27. DB/S Marcell Harris 6-1 211 rsSr - Orlando

IMO, talented depth is not an issue when a Jr DB is leaving, due to being to far down on the depth chart. - DB Chris Williamson 5-11 191 Jr

Mac was using Chris Williamson like a walk-on - it doesn't tell us where we stand losing Harris imo.

Tough break for u guys and him. Hes a senior too. Can he get eligibility for 1 more yr?

Tough break for u guys and him. Hes a senior too. Can he get eligibility for 1 more yr?

He is a rsSr, but he can petition for a 6th year from the NCAA and he would likely get it. It's more a question of IF he chooses to play another year at UF, or forego a 6th year to go on to the NFL draft. I imagine that the feedback that he gets from the draft people next year will have a lot to do with his decision to return or not. How well and how quickly he can rehab will likely figure into that decision, but it's his to make and I don't see him making it any time before 2018.

Another thought occurred to me, and it gave me a smile when I thought about the responses that I might get if I posted it here. P/QB/FS Johnny Townsend 6-1 211 is exactly the same size as Marcell, and both are from Orlando. Mc could always let him do both P/FS.

That's not as scary as it might be, because they also have P/QB/CB Tommy Townsend on roster that could be the punter if Johnny got injured playing FS.... :D

Last edited:
This stuff kept rolling around in my head, so I thought I'd share... ;)
There are 3 'sure thing' DB's on the roster.

SS/Nic Nick Washington

CB/Nic/FS Duke Dawson

FS/CB Chauncey Gardener

Where Gardener or Dawson plays depends on which FNG(s) steps up the biggest at either FS, and/or at CB.
There is certainly no lack of talent or depth to fill the spots from.

Who can beat Gardener/Dawson out at the CB position?
Who can beat Gardener/Dawson out at the FS position?
Those are the two burning question the way I see it... o_O

Hold the phone.... IF one of the FNG's steps up big time at CB, then moving Dawson back to FS and keeping Gardener at CB could very well be the best move available. The Gators have a pretty good history with tFr CB's. It's gonna be an interesting August...
-----

Just for fun, some other very long shot possibilities at FS could include:

34. OLB Lacefrick Brunson 6-2 220 Fr - Maimi
40. OLB Nick Smith 6-1 213 Fr - Orlando
49. LS Jacob Tilghman 6-1 208 rsSo - Daytona Bch.
46. TE/QB Harry Gornto V 6-2 203 rsSo - Ft. Walton Bch.
W-O QB Jack Ruskell 6-2 195 Fr - Libertyville, ILL
19. P/QB/FS Johnny Townsend 6-1 211 rsSr - Orlando
86. P Jacob Finn 6-2 198 rsFr - Jacksonville
~ For anyone that thinks that a punter ain't tough enough, let me remind you of psycho Shane Edge. :D

And as I said, very Looooog-shots, but those and a few others might want to get on the field...
Will an embedded sleeper or a FNG step up and take the offered opening? :cool:

What happened to Taylor in the off season

20140027_812536072246233_3831890346035096940_n.jpg

FS/ST Jeawon Taylor 6-0 187 So
2016:
Played in 10 games as a reserve DB and a key member of Florida’s ST's units. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury at FSU on a ST play. He totaled 7 tkl's on the season. He is now reported recovered and set to return for Fall practice.

FS/ST Jeawon Taylor 6-0 187 So
2016:
Played in 10 games as a reserve DB and a key member of Florida’s ST's units. He suffered a season-ending shoulder injury at FSU on a ST play. He totaled 7 tkl's on the season. He is now reported recovered and set to return for Fall practice.

Not what he was asking.

Taylor obviously found will griers cabinet left behind in the off season, need more doing the same against Deer antler spray u each year...

Why does it seem that this happens more to Florida than any other school?

Becuz UF is the team u pay attention to the most. For instance, Derwin James who has the potential to be the best defensive player in college football was out all last yr for us. Every fan base feels this way. Main reason is becuz most people(even me) mainly pay attention to only their team. I try best i can to pay attention to Miami and UF as much as possible. Its a tough break especially for a team that is trying to have a break thru yr and u still possibly could

Reactions: sadgator
Why does it seem that this happens more to Florida than any other school?

As fsu#s said, it's because that's who we pay attention to.

But, in the last several years, we've had a few seasons with absurd injuries. 2013 was unlike anything I've ever seen, and last year we literally opened up the season with Massey going out for the season, LDR went down, and our OL and defense kept getting banged up.

But still some fans will totally ignore the injury list when judging the coaches preformance. No, it's not an excuse,,, but it can be a very solid and logical reason for many things across a season.

I think that Mc-staff has done a pretty good job, considering what they were left with, and the number of injuries that they have had to play and plan around for the last 2 seasons... :cool:

The small percentage of 'off the field' BS is something that every school and coach has to deal with.
Choices - Personal Responsibility - Consequences - Results o_O

But still some fans will totally ignore the injury list when judging the coaches preformance. No, it's not an excuse,,, but it can be a very solid and logical reason for many things across a season.

I think that Mc-staff has done a pretty good job, considering what they were left with, and the number of injuries that they have had to play and plan around for the last 2 seasons... :cool:

The small percentage of 'off the field' BS is something that every school and coach has to deal with.

Mac has had crazy level off the field incidents since getting here but I think all of the real bad stuff were Muschamp recruits.

Mac has had crazy level off the field incidents since getting here but I think all of the real bad stuff were Muschamp recruits.
It got to the point that I was checking injury reports on all the SEC teams during Muschamps worst year....nothing came close to what UF endured. It made me wonder if a long dead ancestor of Will's burnt a witch at the stake in the 1600s..

It got to the point that I was checking injury reports on all the SEC teams during Muschamps worst year....nothing came close to what UF endured. It made me wonder if a long dead ancestor of Will's burnt a witch at the stake in the 1600s..

The advertized total for the season was 72 lost starts due to injuries.
That was the worst in UF history for sure, and some claimed that it was the worst in NCAA history, but I don't know how you could verify that claim?

The advertized total for the season was 72 lost starts due to injuries.
That was the worst in UF history for sure, and some claimed that it was the worst in NCAA history, but I don't know how you could verify that claim?

I dont think that is the worst in NCAA history. We have yrs were i bet we were around that or over that. Jus last yr we had 54 missed starts and it wasnt a terrible yr for injury.

Derwin was 13 and accounted for about 1/4 of those.

Cool, so you agree with me.

nah UF has had more injuries to their more important players more than most teams over recent years, it's been more a Florida thing since Muschamp to now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT