ADVERTISEMENT

Mac turning down early practices?

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
I just saw where Mac is turning down the early practices that are allowed now due to 2 a days in pads being stopped. I guess it would have allowed Mac to start practice in late July if he wanted to.

Not sure if less time in pads during camp is best or not with the new rules. He seems to be thinking having a no pads practice after the normal practice is better than getting some extra real practices in early with how the rule changed. I guess we will find out during the Michigan game.

I wonder how Saban's staff is handling this with a big 1st game also.

Edit: Especially curious what the former players think of his choice here considering Michigan is the 1st game. Does it make more sense to get the extra time to go over things closer to the game at the expense of a few real practices even if it is without pads.

My brother hated extra pad days. Risk injury, get worn down more. Yes u need thwm to keep up the contact but most players i have talked to said they didnt like pad days. Mainly starters said this, backups and walk ons wanted pad days to prove they could play. I dont think it will hurt u unless ur problem is hitting. Which i dont think it is.

My brother hated extra pad days. Risk injury, get worn down more. Yes u need thwm to keep up the contact but most players i have talked to said they didnt like pad days. Mainly starters said this, backups and walk ons wanted pad days to prove they could play. I dont think it will hurt u unless ur problem is hitting. Which i dont think it is.

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...labamas-practice-schedule-season-already-long

What is FSU doing? It appears Saban is doing the same as Mac.

B059dcvIgAA8XdW.jpg

Reactions: bradleygator
I always preferred pads closer to game day because it was the closest to simulating game speed. At safety my reads had to be crisp and I just could never get that in shells going half speed and not seeing routes develop in real-time. I understand why most coaches prefer to not do it that way though, most of em are conservative by nature and fear injuries.

Sounds like Harbaugh may be starting just a couple of days earlier than usual as they open camp on 7/31.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT