ADVERTISEMENT

LSU Game officially cancelled (link)

Statement from the Southeastern Conference Office Regarding the Florida-LSU football game:
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (October 6, 2016) – The LSU-Florida football game scheduled for Saturday in Gainesville has been postponed due to Hurricane Matthew, it was announced Thursday. The universities and the SEC Office will work to reschedule the game later in the 2016 season if possible.

"We had a very productive phone call today with a great spirit of cooperation between the universities' presidents and athletics directors and it became clear that the University of Florida could neither host nor travel to a game this weekend considering the circumstances," said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey. "The developments of the hurricane in the last 24 hours, the projected magnitude of its impact and the unknown aftermath of this storm have resulted in this decision to seek another date to play the LSU-Florida game. We have to be sensitive to the possible imminent disruption to the state of Florida and in particular the Gainesville and surrounding area."

At this time the schools do not have a common open date on which to reschedule the game, so the schools and SEC Office will make every effort to find a scheduling solution with the possible movement of other games on the schools' schedules.

Before deciding to postpone the game, the schools and SEC explored other date and location options, and LSU offered to either travel or host the game over the course of the weekend. Ultimately it was determined that the likelihood of damage from the storm, lack of available emergency personnel and the uncertainty of the impact of the storm on people, facilities and travel necessitated a postponement.

"The timing of this storm on a Friday and the uncertainly of its aftermath in the ensuing days make it particularly difficult to project the conditions for the remainder of the weekend as well as the opportunity for travel of teams and fans to or from Gainesville and other cities in Florida," Sankey said. "I am appreciative of the cooperation of our universities on this matter."

"We have worked all week with local, state, campus and conference officials," said UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley. "I know there will be a lot of opinions about how we came to this conclusion and when we came to the conclusion, but this is the right decision. I fully support the Southeastern Conference's decision to postpone the game."

For the latest updates from the Florida Division of Emergency Management visit their official site (www.floridadisaster.org) or follow them on Twitter and Facebook.

Once the fate of the game has been determined by the SEC Office, ticket information will be communicated to those who have purchased tickets to the game.

Well, it seems Florida got exactly what they wanted.

Those kids could have their feet up in Baton Rouge right now, safe from the storm, ready to play this very important game. LSU offered to be the away team, even offered to bump our game against South Alabama the same week UF has a bye in order to facilitate it being re-scheduled... but for some reason UF hemmed and hawed and delayed, all the while saying they absolutely would not have the game cancelled... only to have the game cancelled.

Why was the obvious, easiest decision to move the game not made earlier in the week, just as LSU has had to do on multiple occasions?

Those kids could have their feet up in Baton Rouge right now, safe from the storm, ready to play this very important game. LSU offered to be the away team, even offered to bump our game against South Alabama the same week UF has a bye in order to facilitate it being re-scheduled... but for some reason UF hemmed and hawed and delayed, all the while saying they absolutely would not have the game cancelled... only to have the game cancelled.

Why was the obvious, easiest decision to move the game not made earlier in the week, just as LSU has had to do on multiple occasions?

1) It was an SEC decision.
2) Piss off

Were you saying this back in 05 when LSwho wouldn't budge on their home game with Tennessee ?? HELL no we dont want to give up our bye before Georgia..

Were you saying this back in 05 when LSwho wouldn't budge on their home game with Tennessee ?? HELL no we dont want to give up our bye before Georgia..

it was a MFing SEC decision......the LSU fans can lick a dick.

We don't need to have everyone associated with the football team travelling to BATON ROUGE while their homes and families are getting hit by a CAT 4.

Lives are more important than football for most people....apparently not for at least one shithead LSU fan.

Is there ANYONE minding the store who can ban that piece of shit?

1) It was an SEC decision.
2) Piss off
Wow.

Thanks for the informed response. I'm asking because LSU has played games on Monday nights, has travelled out to Arizona for what was to be a home game, has done whatever it took to get the game played. I asked some Florida fans down here if UF was trying to avoid playing it and they said absolutely not, no way they would be jerking us around, that they knew LSU had just as many injuries as they did and to suggest they'd be trying to duck us was ridiculous... but at the same time it just didn't make any sense to have the visiting team either fly in a couple hours before the game or fly in a day early and ride out a freakin' hurricane... everyone knew emergency personnel would be occupied, ESPN and SEC Nation were already pulling out, they couldn't even risk moving the game to a later time that day because they didn't know if the stadium would have power... what possible reason would they have for refusing to do the easiest, most obvious thing?

I'm just trying to understand the thought process. Hopefully you guys will be able to avoid the worst of it - we've been through enough hurricanes in recent years to know the trouble a Cat 4 storm can bring... but this IS a Florida sports site, so can anyone shed any insight as to the thinking behind the Florida administration?

I would give anything to see what would happen if UcheaT lost to Aggie and Buma....all the while we stomp the Leghumpers asses once again. But wait here comes the fun part!!

We don't make up the LSU game! LMAO...can you imagine the hysteria in hillbilly land over that possibility.

You have no idea what went down in this decision or the decision making process. 1 option was also put forth towards LSU from both UF and the SEC and LSU declined. UF refused to play in Baton Rouge. I strongly agree with that stance.

Reactions: OrangeNBlueCrew
it was a MFing SEC decision......the LSU fans can lick a dick.

We don't need to have everyone associated with the football team travelling to BATON ROUGE while their homes and families are getting hit by a CAT 4.

Lives are more important than football for most people....apparently not for at least one shithead LSU fan.

Is there ANYONE minding the store who can ban that piece of shit?
Piss off.
Lick a dick.
Shithead LSU fan.
Ban this piece of shit.

I'm trying to have a civil conversation here about a very relevant topic - I'm sure whoever would normally be 'minding the store' would be more concerned about your profanity-laced tirades than reasonable discussion...

Wow.

Thanks for the informed response. I'm asking because LSU has played games on Monday nights, has travelled out to Arizona for what was to be a home game, has done whatever it took to get the game played. I asked some Florida fans down here if UF was trying to avoid playing it and they said absolutely not, no way they would be jerking us around, that they knew LSU had just as many injuries as they did and to suggest they'd be trying to duck us was ridiculous... but at the same time it just didn't make any sense to have the visiting team either fly in a couple hours before the game or fly in a day early and ride out a freakin' hurricane... everyone knew emergency personnel would be occupied, ESPN and SEC Nation were already pulling out, they couldn't even risk moving the game to a later time that day because they didn't know if the stadium would have power... what possible reason would they have for refusing to do the easiest, most obvious thing?

I'm just trying to understand the thought process. Hopefully you guys will be able to avoid the worst of it - we've been through enough hurricanes in recent years to know the trouble a Cat 4 storm can bring... but this IS a Florida sports site, so can anyone shed any insight as to the thinking behind the Florida administration?

Kiss my ass. You don't know a goddamn thing. Take it up with the SEC office.

Southeastern Conference

2201 Richard Arrington Jr. Blvd. North

Birmingham, AL 35203

(205) 458-3000

You have no idea what went down in this decision or the decision making process. 1 option was also put forth towards LSU from both UF and the SEC and LSU declined. UF refused to play in Baton Rouge. I strongly agree with that stance.
That's why I'm asking about the decision and the decision-making process. All we've heard all week on our end was that Florida wasn't willing to move the game because there was no need, that it was absolutely going to be played this Saturday... but even then that stance didn't seem to make any sense.

Piss off.
Lick a dick.
Ban this piece of shit.

I'm trying to have a civil conversation here about a very relevant topic - I'm sure whoever would normally be 'minding the store' would be more concerned about your profanity-laced tirades than reasonable discussion...

You are not trying to have a civil conversation. GO home, jackass.

You are not trying to have a civil conversation. GO home, jackass.
I am trying, I'm just not succeeding... because a conversation takes at least two and obscenity seems to be the totality of your vocabulary.

Stay classy and keep representing your fanbase well.

"I'm trying to have a civil conversation here about a very relevant topic - I'm sure whoever would normally be 'minding the store' would be more concerned about your profanity-laced tirades than reasonable discussion..."

I don't know you fella but you can't have it both ways. Your initial post was rather accusatory imo, claiming "Florida got exactly what they wanted.". Also saying "UF hemmed and hawed", so it makes your claims of civil discourse rather disingenuous if I may say so.

I have no clue how this decision came about and I feel comfortable thinking you probably don't either, but this is football not life or death. Just don't expect sympathy when you swing first and someone decides to swing back.

Since you do, wanna elaborate on what option LSU was offered and declined?

"I'm trying to have a civil conversation here about a very relevant topic - I'm sure whoever would normally be 'minding the store' would be more concerned about your profanity-laced tirades than reasonable discussion..."

I don't know you fella but you can't have it both ways. Your initial post was rather accusatory imo, claiming "Florida got exactly what they wanted.". Also saying "UF hemmed and hawed", so it makes your claims of civil discourse rather disingenuous if I may say so.

I have no clue how this decision came about and I feel comfortable thinking you probably don't either, but this is football not life or death. Just don't expect sympathy when you swing first and someone decides to swing back.
If I offended with that choice of wording then I certainly apologize... it would seem - from our end at least - that Florida, when faced with the choice of playing the game away from home or not playing the game at all chose to not play the game. That is a decision that affects both programs significantly and with LSU resurging a bit and UF seeming to struggle, it doesn't take a tremendous imagination to think that might just be what they wanted in the first place. No, football is not life or death - even the thought of trying to play the game in a hurricane-ravaged city bereft of infrastructure and with their emergency services spread thin is ridiculous... so why was the idea entertained for as long as it was?

Honest question, what is the benefit in not playing the game at all over the option of playing it outside of Gainesville?

Last edited:
If I offended with that choice of wording then I certainly apologize... it would seem - from our end at least - that Florida, when faced with the choice of playing the game away from home or not playing the game at all chose to not play the game. That is a decision that affects both programs significantly and with LSU resurging a bit and UF seeming to struggle, it doesn't take a tremendous imagination to think that might just be what they wanted in the first place. No, football is not life or death - even the thought of trying to play the game in a hurricane-ravaged city bereft of infrastructure and with their emergency services spread thin is ridiculous... so why was the idea entertained for as long as it was?

Honest question, what is the benefit in not playing the game at all over the option of playing it outside of Gainesville?

This is the last time I am addressing you, then you are being ignored.

The football team, coaches, support staff and security do not need to go to Baton Rouge (or anywhere else) for a football game when they should be securing their property and making sure their families are safe and helping with the aftermath and cleanup. There would be travel complications and return complications based on where the storm goes. The University of Florida, vendors, hotels, restaurants...all will lose many millions of dollars with the loss of this home game. They didn't WANT to cancel the game.

It's incredible that I need to explain HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS and consequences to someone from Louisiana.

Cya.

The football team, coaches, support staff and security do not need to go to Baton Rouge (or anywhere else) for a football game when they should be securing their property and making sure their families are safe and helping with the aftermath and cleanup. There would be travel complications and return complications based on where the storm goes. The University of Florida, vendors, hotels, restaurants...all will lose many millions of dollars with the loss of this home game. They didn't WANT to cancel the game.

It's incredible that I need to explain HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS and consequences to someone from Louisiana.

Cya.

Geez, you seem angry, he's simply trying to ask a question and you're all up in a tizzy. get a grip man.

and no you don't need to explain Hurricane preparedness, maybe we need to explain Hurricane Evacuation, like to a dry sunny stadium and city to the west where everyone from UF would be safer and have electricity and not be in a cat 4 hurricane.

The storm track has been moving slightly eastward for the last 24 hours and has gained speed ,only the opposite forecast would've created this late of a decision.

The football team, coaches, support staff and security does not need to go to Baton Rouge for a football game when they should be securing their property and making sure their families are safe.
Sounds perfectly reasonable... so why wasn't that decision made days ago? All week all we've been hearing is that there was no reason to move the game because the hurricane wasn't going to be that bad, wasn't really a threat, that its impact would be minimal... and now, in the 9th hour all of a sudden everyone needs to be securing their property and looking after their families?

Here's another possibility - Florida felt they needed the break and the last thing they wanted to do was lose at home to a surging LSU team... now, I understand that it might be easier to just blow me off as some ignorant homer with an axe to grind, that the idea of a team taking advantage of a natural disaster to duck a dangerous opponent is simply ludicrous... so don't take it from me. Here are a few quotes gleaned from just one thread on this very board, every one posted by a diehard Gator fan...

"The last thing our coaches, team, fans, and program need right now is a blowout loss at home...and that looks like what we are gonna get."

"Our D line wont hold up against that and now they have gotten a little more creative with their scheme now that Miles is gone. Heck we couldn't even stop Fournette when we had a D line with some nice size. Its college football so anything can happen but everything right now points to LSU destroying us Saturday."

"Unless this is one of those games we play out of our minds or LSU just comes out flat it is going to be a bloodbath with our undersized D line and train wreck of an offense."

Is it really that hard to believe that UF might be ducking LSU and using the hurricane to do it?

120607W5_NL_sm.gif

Is it really that hard to believe that UF might be ducking LSU and using the hurricane to do it?

Yes. Only an irrational football fan would come to such a nonsensical conclusion.

I also love how quotes from a message board are somehow intended to make a case for a UF administration cowardice conspiracy (unless, I suppose, you can prove that Foley is a frequent poster here...).

Some things are more important than football. The simple act of you posting on our board is evidence enough that you take it FAR too seriously. Get a grip.

The storm track has been moving slightly eastward for the last 24 hours and has gained speed ,only the opposite forecast would've created this late of a decision.

Jesus, stupidity is clearly hereditary.

Sounds perfectly reasonable... so why wasn't that decision made days ago? All week all we've been hearing is that there was no reason to move the game because the hurricane wasn't going to be that bad, wasn't really a threat, that its impact would be minimal... and now, in the 9th hour all of a sudden everyone needs to be securing their property and looking after their families?

Here's another possibility - Florida felt they needed the break and the last thing they wanted to do was lose at home to a surging LSU team... now, I understand that it might be easier to just blow me off as some ignorant homer with an axe to grind, that the idea of a team taking advantage of a natural disaster to duck a dangerous opponent is simply ludicrous... so don't take it from me. Here are a few quotes gleaned from just one thread on this very board, every one posted by a diehard Gator fan...

"The last thing our coaches, team, fans, and program need right now is a blowout loss at home...and that looks like what we are gonna get."

"Our D line wont hold up against that and now they have gotten a little more creative with their scheme now that Miles is gone. Heck we couldn't even stop Fournette when we had a D line with some nice size. Its college football so anything can happen but everything right now points to LSU destroying us Saturday."

"Unless this is one of those games we play out of our minds or LSU just comes out flat it is going to be a bloodbath with our undersized D line and train wreck of an offense."

congrats!! You just won dumbest poster of the year award!! Let me get this straight, a Cat 4 hurricane is headed toward the area, of which the aftermath damage may be severe, and you are wondering why the game has been postponed? What next, tell us how the Gators created this Hurricane in the hopes of ducking a 2 loss lsu team at home?

Geez, you seem angry, he's simply trying to ask a question and you're all up in a tizzy. get a grip man.

and no you don't need to explain Hurricane preparedness, maybe we need to explain Hurricane Evacuation, like to a dry sunny stadium and city to the west where everyone from UF would be safer and have electricity and not be in a cat 4 hurricane.
Maybe those people want to be closer to home with loved ones and family in case there is major damage, instead of sitting in BR with their feet up? Think of that sparky?

The governor of Florida personally asked the SEC to postpone the game.

Take it up with him.

vis-animated.gif

Jesus, stupidity is clearly hereditary.

Yes it is, keep posting.
congrats!! You just won dumbest poster of the year award!! Let me get this straight, a Cat 4 hurricane is headed toward the area, of which the aftermath damage may be severe, and you are wondering why the game has been postponed? What next, tell us how the Gators created this Hurricane in the hopes of ducking a 2 loss lsu team at home?

to me the dumbest poster would be the ones who don't think sending thousands of UF players, staff, support personnel, fans, etc west to B.R. out of harms way would be smart. also frees up massive resources that would normally work the game in Gainesville.

LSU has had Hurricanes move games without a hitch, maybe UF should get the blueprint.

Thanks for your concern, LSU fans. It's nice to see you guys returning the concern the nation had your state during Katrina.

Hopefully none of you were affected by that storm. Florida will survive and rebuild.

LSU fans, this is a really really bad look for your fanbase. You should seriously reel it in.

Maybe those people want to be closer to home with loved ones and family in case there is major damage, instead of sitting in BR with their feet up? Think of that sparky?

Yea, Im sure that's it.

always better to be sitting with major damage and no electricity.

dont try to spin it guys, UF wasn't ready for LSU on Saturday and ducked out instead of allowing LSU to host. simple as that.

Cya.

Just proves that some southern stereotypes are true......at least they've got Miss and W. Virginia....keeps them from being a bottom feeder...

Let me get this straight, a Cat 4 hurricane is headed toward the area, of which the aftermath damage may be severe, and you are wondering why the game has been postponed?
Not at all. As stated several times already, I'm wondering why, if that is the motivation, was this decision come to only an hour ago? Weren't all these things true days ago?

None of what you just said is what we've been hearing all week from Florida fans. All we've heard is how the hurricane wouldn't be that bad, its impact on the city would be minimal, and so on... we were told that as the justification for not moving the game to a safe location when it seemed the easiest and most obvious solution. Common sense, really.

Has the hurricane suddenly shifted track, has it turned and made a beeline for Gainseville? We've been watching it pretty closely and that doesn't seem to be the case. Instead, what happened was the decision was put off for so long that our argument for moving the game to a safe location has now become the Gator's argument for not playing the game at all... good thing for them since LSU was favored in the Swamp, eh?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT