ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk about Billy Latsko

CommieGator

Gator Great
Jan 6, 2006
Probably one of my favorite players ever for the orange and blue. I graduated UF in '95, so I've seen a lot of great players over the years, but BL stands out to me as one of the best we've had on the squad. Dependable being the best description. The guy just always seemed to be there and make the yards when we needed it. Maybe selective memory now that I'm an older guy, but if BL was in the game, and the ball found it's way into his grasp, you could pretty much count on him coming through. I know fans, especially the older guys, are familiar with his work, but I was talking to someone at work today and mentioned BL being one of my favorites of that era. Solid Football Player.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Random I know- I was just having a conversation with a fan from work today about the greats, and we were running down the list of the greatest all time, and I was like- You're forgetting about one of the best ones ever, Billy F'ing Latsko! Never going to be a "superstar" but a solid role player.

The guy just always made plays. Not big, splashy plays, but plays that counted- That's all.

As far as today, who knows.. I've "heard" he's from an established family in the area and I know he's a legacy gator, so probably something to do with property if I had to guess. Good for him.

Billy deserved that fumble return for a TD against FSU in 2003, but smiling Jack Childress had other plans on that particular play and others that afternoon.

Reactions: GatorGray
Latsko, originally from Gainesville, is now a Project Manager in Jacksonville for the Conlan Company. Been with them since 2012.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Latsko, originally from Gainesville, is now a Project Manager in Jacksonville for the Conlan Company. Been with them since 2012.
Yup. Building construction was his major and he worked it in the offseasons when he was a player. The dude will be making BANK as a superintendent on job sites.

FB Billy Latsko was a fine Gator and I certainly liked what he did and has done since then.

However, I have a pair that played together like brothers while sharing playing time.
FB Dwayne Mobley a Jr and FB Jerome Evans a Sr in 1995.

They never really got the credit that they had earned and deserved imo, except from the Gator RB's and QB's that they blocked for.

It's too bad that Dan doesn't have any one of those 3 on the team now....

Reactions: CallmeKG
FB’s are outdated
First, you need a coach that knows how to make use of a FB, or currently called H-back.
Then you need an unselfish 'team' player with the skills to fill the roll.
Seems to me that it's the 'unselfish team player' that's going out of date....

First, you need a coach that knows how to make use of a FB, or currently called H-back.
Then you need an unselfish 'team' player with the skills to fill the roll.
Seems to me that it's the 'unselfish team player' that's going out of date....

Jerome Bettis called it a transition to a tail-back.

but yeah, use half-back the wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT