ADVERTISEMENT

Less Miles is the new coach at.......Kansas

Mangino got Kanass to #1? What year was that?
2007, Missouri vs Kansas was 1 vs 2. USF was #2 for a week and LSU won the National Title with 2 losses.

Some guy named Tim Tebow won a Heisman.

Edit: My bad it was number 2, they won their first 11 games and lost to number 1 Missouri.

They finished 12-1 and ranked 7.

Last edited:
2007, Missouri vs Kansas was 1 vs 2. USF was #2 for a week and LSU won the National Title with 2 losses.

Edit: My bad it was number 2, they won their first 11 games and lost to number 1 Missouri.

Wow I had no idea. I remembered there was one year he was up there, didn't know it was that high and had no idea MIssouri was #1. Gotta look this up thanks.

Wow Boston College up to #2 in the middle of the season as well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_rankings

Was that the year they had Matt Ryan?

What a crazy season.

That was the year Kentucky beat LSU in double overtime. I think Arkansas beat them in double ot. as well, Houston Nutt!!

That 2007 LSU team was Saban's last recruiting class, they were seniors on that team. Glenn Dorsey was one of them them. The defense was stacked, they shouldn't have lost a game all year.

That 2007 LSU team was Saban's last recruiting class, they were seniors on that team. Glenn Dorsey was one of them them. The defense was stacked, they shouldn't have lost a game all year.

All I remember was them beating us on that 4th and 1 conversion.

West Virginia lost to Pitt on the final weekend, they would have been number 1.

Missouri lost to Oklahoma, Hawaii went undefeated and got blown out by Georgia in Mark Rights greatest win. I remember fondly beating them badly the next year, a year they started #1.

I also believe this was the last year before Alabama went on their tear. A tear that may be reaching it's penultimate this year.

Reactions: FLDUKE
Pretty sure Mark Mangino was the coach at Kansas during that time. He’s since not even coaching at all anymore.

He got in some trouble for mistreating his players. Miles is a great get for KU. They’re not going to do better than that.

I actually think it’s a terrible hire for them. A school like that needs a coach who can do more with less and Miles is the complete opposite of that. Arguably no coach wasted more talent than him year to year. And that offense he runs in the pass happy Big 12 won’t work either. They’re gonna need to score to keep up and his offenses couldn’t score with NFL talent all over the place. He’ll be fired in a few years.

Reactions: FLDUKE
Yeah. I don’t think it is that special of a hire at all but I can certainly see why they would do it as well.

I actually think it’s a terrible hire for them. A school like that needs a coach who can do more with less and Miles is the complete opposite of that. Arguably no coach wasted more talent than him year to year. And that offense he runs in the pass happy Big 12 won’t work either. They’re gonna need to score to keep up and his offenses couldn’t score with NFL talent all over the place. He’ll be fired in a few years.

He may be able to get some better players in there.

I think he'll do enough to stick around. Less can't coach, but he can recruit, he'll get better players there, and I suspect he'll dumb down the OOC schedule so he has 4 easy wins there a year. Add in 2-3 conference wins, and a bowl game, and I think most Kansas fans will be happy with 7-8 wins a year. That's about Miles' ceiling there.

Well a coach who can’t coach isn’t what you want at a place like Kansas. Players still went to LSU because it’s LSU, no players worth a damn are going to Kansas. So you’ll have a coach who is a clown on the sideline with talent worse than probably every team in the league, that’s a disaster waiting to happen.

I guess it’s right though that Kansas is so bad it’s hard to say any hire is a bad one for them. But Miles is just a name. He’s beyond incompetent. Still doesn’t know how to manage a clock I’m betting.

Reactions: GatorNation79
He has ties to the big 12, he coached at Oklahoma State before going to LSU.

We have to remember that the big 12 is a much easier conference to have success in than the SEC . You can trip into an offense capable of scoring 40 points in that league.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
He has ties to the big 12, he coached at Oklahoma State before going to LSU.

We have to remember that the big 12 is a much easier conference to have success in than the SEC . You can trip into an offense capable of scoring 40 points in that league.
If you look at his record at Okie State it really wasn’t that great. Mike Gundy has a much better record at Okie St than Miles did.

If you look at his record at Okie State it really wasn’t that great. Mike Gundy has a much better record at Okie St than Miles did.

And he’s not scoring 40 running I-Formation offense trying to run over teams like he did at LSU. It barely worked there with NFL talent all over the place. It ain’t working with Kansas level talent. Don’t know why they didn’t take a chance on some young up and comer instead of this retread.

And he’s not scoring 40 running I-Formation offense trying to run over teams like he did at LSU. It barely worked there with NFL talent all over the place. It ain’t working with Kansas level talent. Don’t know why they didn’t take a chance on some young up and comer instead of this retread.
Agreed. You need to get lucky and get a good X’s and O’s coach at a place like Kansas. Whose he going to recruit to go there? Sure he may recruit better than they have in the past but not that much better to make up for his lack of in game coaching. Not to mention he had the entire state of Louisiana to himself at LSU. It really isn’t that hard to recruit there.

Reactions: oozie7
That was the year sadgator got laid...

It was nuts!
Seems like yesterday...

Kansas has hot chicks...

wizard_of_oz_sexy_dorothy_costume_RU-888294__27227.1500933378.500.750.jpg

Jacob Hester.... It was something Hester.
Yep, that kid balled out...it was impressive...I HATED IT!!!!! lol LSU always had 1 dude on the D line (ususally up the middle) that can't be stopped...just blowing guys up and all the freaking WR/RB and DB's that can just straight ball out. We had ours too...those were some great match ups and some great games. I don't know what it is but I love that game every year. I lived in New Orleans (basically) for 2 years and the fans there are pretty great IMO.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
Yep, that kid balled out...it was impressive...I HATED IT!!!!! lol LSU always had 1 dude on the D line (ususally up the middle) that can't be stopped...just blowing guys up and all the freaking WR/RB and DB's that can just straight ball out. We had ours too...those were some great match ups and some great games. I don't know what it is but I love that game every year. I lived in New Orleans (basically) for 2 years and the fans there are pretty great IMO.

Our programs have very similar history, 3 National championships but no undefeated seasons yet. We should have had two but freaking Ole Miss ruined it.

Our programs have very similar history, 3 National championships but no undefeated seasons yet. We should have had two but freaking Ole Miss ruined it.
lmfao...that's true. Our Gators are on the rise though. If we take down FSU this year...even if we don't win the bowl Mullen has done the unthinkable this year. I was at the LSU/UF game this year...like the old Swamp. It was legit.

lmfao...that's true. Our Gators are on the rise though. If we take down FSU this year...even if we don't win the bowl Mullen has done the unthinkable this year. I was at the LSU/UF game this year...like the old Swamp. It was legit.

Wish I could have been there, hopefully I can make it back to a game next year.

You are right about the culture difference, Mullen is gonna get the recruits in place and once he has his QB it is gonna be like old times again. He said he was going to put the fun back in winning again, just watching him and his players I believe it. These guys are playing hard for him and each other. They seem to really like playing for him.

Nice contrast from our prior coach who would rip scholarships and run players off.

After Saban’s players graduated, he became the West version of Mark Richt.

LSU owed Less $6.5 M on his buyout, Less agreed to settle for $1.5M in order to clear him to take the Kansas job. And the contract with KU has a one-time trigger that if he wins 6 games in a season, he gets a year added to the length of his contract.

Obviously, they aren't expecting much from Miles.

Turner Gil was an up and comer and didn't make it at Kansas. I don't even know if some Big 12 defenses can stop an I Formation offense. He may put together a defense capable enough to slow down a handful of offenses in conference and ooc.

Reactions: PlutoDroid
Wonder if that prarie grass taste better compared to bayou grass.

I believe they have Astro turf there so he'll have to bring in his own personal slice of sod.

But also, who's to say that he's going to run that offense?

When he was at OK State he had Gundy as OC.

He may go more wide open. Probably thought that the way to win in the SEC was power football.

We'll see.

This will say a lot about Leslie.

I believe they have Astro turf there so he'll have to bring in his own personal slice of sod.

But also, who's to say that he's going to run that offense?

When he was at OK State he had Gundy as OC.

He may go more wide open. Probably thought that the way to win in the SEC was power football.

We'll see.

This will say a lot about Leslie.
He will probably find one of those Mike Leach proteges out there. I don't know who is avauavail but that's probably the style he will go after.

ADVERTISEMENT