ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

In addition to Kayden McDonald, Other Possible visitors for Missouri Game

DT Kayden McDonald will be on campus for the first time since Friday Night Lights. The Gators have been near the top of McDonald’s top teams for a while now and are battling Clemson for his signature. McDonald will have several family members on campus with him.

Georgia Tech commit Kamal Bonner

Linebacker Jayvant Brown from St. Thomas Aquinas
will also be on campus for the first time under Napier on Saturday. Brown has a lot of big offers with Alabama and LSU both getting the linebacker on campus this year. Florida wants to see Brown in person this weekend before extending an offer.

Offensive lineman Caden Jones was last on campus in July, and he will return this weekend. Florida is the leader for Jones with Texas A&M also strongly in the mix for Jones who doesn’t have a decision timeline in place.

Joining the targets on campus this weekend will be several of Florida’s commits in the Class of 2023 and 2024.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-visitors-list-preview-for-missouri/

Last edited:
Reactions: Gator Fever
Napier is doing great things on the recruiting trail!

(Although TBH part of the success has to be given to the fantastic new facilities.)
I'm more nuanced in the thinking on the new facilities.

It's not that the new facility help - it's that if you don't have them it hurts - if that makes sense. Essentially - to recruit great, that's the bare minimum. But once you have the bare minimum required - now you have to go and work.

lol probably makes no sense haha

I'm more nuanced in the thinking on the new facilities.

It's not that the new facility help - it's that if you don't have them it hurts - if that makes sense. Essentially - to recruit great, that's the bare minimum. But once you have the bare minimum required - now you have to go and work.

lol probably makes no sense haha
If you want to say that a Florida coach's recruiting efforts, for the first time in a decade, aren't being hindered by poor facilities, I can live with that.

2024 QB DJ Lagway will visit Gators for LSU​

We are getting in on high profile players - especially QBs early enough to have a chance to sign them.

According to the On3 Consensus, a complete and equally weighted industry-generated average that utilizes all four major recruiting media companies, Lagway ranks as the No. 5 quarterback and No. 31 prospect regardless of position.

Florida, USC, Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Texas A&M, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Clemson and Baylor make up Lagway’s top 10. The in-state Aggies, according to On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine, are trending with odds of nearly 66 percent.

Scouting report on DJ Lagway​

Strong-armed quarterback prospect who possesses a thicker build with solid measurables for the position. Checked in at 6-foot-2.3 and 225 pounds during the camp circuit prior to his junior season.

Lagway has the arm strength to make throws at every level of the field, including ones from the far hash. Efficient with his movements in the pocket and comfortable working outside the pocket. Arm talent shines when forced to throw from multiple arm slots or off-platform.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...y-locks-in-second-in-season-visit-to-florida/

Reactions: Gator Fever
I hope we can recruit receivers even though our QB only throws for 66 yards. Damn that's gonna be a hard sell.

Have you seen our 2023 committed WRs group? Some of you all don’t understand recruiting too terribly much.
I have seen our 2023 committed WRs group. They look to be studs. Have you seen our 2022 QB? He seems to be a DUD at times.

I have seen our 2023 committed WRs group. They look to be studs. Have you seen our 2022 QB? He seems to be a DUD at times.
Yes we are going after big fish at QB in the 2024 class. Recruiter recruit and this is also a “bump” class when generally records and stats can be thrown out the window for a 1st year staff. For example Cristobal is a bad game day coach but even though he’s not any good it’s really not going to affect Miami’s class in a negative manner this year.

For UF Ron Zook and Will Muschamp are good examples. Can’t coach and showed no progress but didn’t have a problem recruiting.

Gators continue to generate momentum with UCF commit John Walker: 'I really like Florida'​

On Saturday evening, 4* DT John Walker returned to the Swamp for his third Florida game of the fall.

https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...ucf-commit-john-walker-i-really-like-florida/

All the recruits who showed up for the LSU game saw that there is plenty of early playing time in G'ville.

"...While watching the game on Saturday, (DT Jordan) Hall noticed early playing time available at his position and he believes he could help the defense."

You Think ?
https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/hall-feels-the-love-from-the-florida-gators-coaches-and-fans/

As Fever & others have mentioned repeatedly - we need TWO good DTs in this recruiting class !

Notes & Comments from other Recruits in Attendance - LSU Game

Montgomery (Ala.) Carver five-star EDGE Qua Russaw is taking an official visit to Florida this weekend. Part of his trip involves attending the Gators’ game against LSU.

At 6-2, 235, Russaw is the No. 21 overall prospect and No. 3 EDGE in the 2023 cycle, according to the On3 Consensus.

https://www.on3.com/college/florida...edge-qua-russaw-on-official-visit-to-florida/

Last edited:
Exclusive quote from Hall…

“Ya know man, I really like Florida. The other programs I visit are so focused on actually winning games that it can kinda make you nervous. At Florida it ain’t like that at all. Those guys are a fun and silly group man. They like to express themselves and just enjoy life man. It makes you feel real comfortable. I could really see myself there. They invited me to the pool party tomorrow, and I am super-hyped to be a part of that scene.”

“Ya know man, I really like Florida. The other programs I visit are so focused on actually winning games that it can kinda make you nervous. At Florida it ain’t like that at all. Those guys are a fun and silly group man. They like to express themselves and just enjoy life man. It makes you feel real comfortable. I could really see myself there. They invited me to the pool party tomorrow, and I am super-hyped to be a part of that scene.”
He added…

100!

4* DL Xzavier McLeod plans official visit to Florida​

They said they want to get me back for an official visit. They said probably sometime in December or whenever my parents can go.”

McLeod is still committed to the Gamecocks but he is looking to take a few official visits before putting pen to paper. He’s poking around to see if there’s still interest from Georgia and has Miami in mind too; & another visit to South Carolina.

You can't make stuff like that up.

Gators No. 1 Target Cormani McClain Sets Commitment Date​

The Florida Gators will soon know the college decision for their No. 1 reruiting target in the class of 2023, cornerback Cormani McClain

After watching the LSU game; Cormani knows there is early PT available !

The long-awaited end of priority Florida Gators defensive back target Cormani McClain’s recruitment is in sight.

On Tuesday evening, McClain’s mother, Kaishay White, announced that the talented Lakeland prospect will be committing to his school of choice on Oct. 27, just nine days away.

The ceremony will be held at Youkey Theatre at the RP Funding Center. It’s scheduled to start at 6 p.m. ET, with Alabama, Florida and Miami slated as the finalists for his pledge.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...cruiting-cormani-mcclain-sets-commitment-date

https://www.on3.com/news/5-star-plus-cb-cormani-mcclain-committing-october-27/
https://247sports.com/college/flori...-Florida-Miami-Alabama-top-schools-195739723/

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
i thought I read that his skills are not in fact 5 star worthy?
Peter,

See your point.

Until they get on the field & play, stars & rankings are mostly subjective, not objective.

Measurables - height, weight, & speed are, of course, objective but don't cover everything.

They don't measure football IQ & competitive fire.

FWIW
"... Of course, Florida isn’t the only team making a push for McClain’s commitment. Nick Saban and Alabama are making a push for Cormani McClain, with talk that Alabama is surging with him. Along with the Crimson Tide, Georgia, Miami, and USC are chief among the dozens of schools that have offered him."
https://www.on3.com/nil/news/cormani-mcclain-on3-nil-valuation/

But in Cormani's case all of these winning CFB coaches & their staffs could have made the same incorrect assessmentl;

& of course, they could all be wrong.

Cormani could be ONLY a 4* prospect & who wants one of those starting in their secondary ?

How would we feel if every player on the Gators was only ranked as a 4* ?

LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: gatordad3
1 Person's Opinion - Andrew Spivey - Gator Country

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-mailbag-october-20th-edition-2/

Andrew - Whats your call on Cormani on 10/27?

AS:
I like where Florida sits with Cormani McClain heading into his decision.

It’s unlikely he visits Alabama this weekend which is more good news for the Gators.

Napier and his staff have recruited McClain harder than any other program and made it known how much he’s needed in Gainesville.

Will a commitment from Cormani push Jackson away from his commitment?

AS:
No, Florida has made it clear that they want both and recruits have watched the Gators this fall and know that the Gators need defensive backs in this class in a bad way.

No kidding !

Last edited:

If they have a work hard-play hard mentality, I'm fine with it. If it's more of a play hard-play even harder mindset, then Billy has more housecleaning to do.

If they have a work hard-play hard mentality, I'm fine with it. If it's more of a play hard-play even harder mindset, then Billy has more housecleaning to do.
I wouldn't read too much into 1 recruit's statement - guys like this are just riffing on the way out trying to give the interviewer some material...and they are doing it like 10x per week lol.

Though - I do agree with your point.

Alabama Crimson Tide hosting several elite recruits for Miss State Home game​

Article written - 10/21/22 - 7:30 am

FWIW - Cormani McClain not listed; Miss State (5-2) @ Alabama (6-1) kickoff is at 7:00 PM Sat on ESPN, so plenty of time to be a late arrival.

Jordan Hall, 4* DT from Westside High School in Jacksonville, Florida, is an official visitor for the Tide this weekend.

James Smith, 5* DT, and Qua Russaw, 5* LB from Carver High School in Montgomery, are also slated to return to Tuscaloosa for the game against the Bulldogs. The teammates were also in town three weeks ago for the Tide’s home win against Vanderbilt.

The state’s top two recruits are fresh off an official visit to Florida. A decision will not happen until December with both expected to select the same school. Russaw and Smith have also visited Auburn (3x) and Alabama State this fall. They are expected to visit Georgia and Ohio State in November.

https://www.on3.com/teams/alabama-c...-crimson-tide-hosting-several-elite-recruits/

Last edited:

Searcy believes the 2023 recruiting class can fill needs for the Florida Gators​

Common theme from recruits at the LSU game - Defense has holes & they can fill them.

Defensive line commit TJ Searcy (6-5, 250, Thomaston, GA. Upson-Lee) was on campus and liked the energy in the Swamp.

“The environment was great,” Searcy said of his visit to Florida on Saturday. “It was a great atmosphere overall; the fans were crazy. It was a good game for sure.”

While watching the game on Saturday, Searcy noticed some things that the Gators need on the field to help them improve.

“One thing that stood out to me was we need edge rushers,” he said on what stood out to him. “We need pass rushers so we can get pressure on the quarterback here. I think our recruiting class is going to bring that pressure.”

https://www.gatorcountry.com/featur...-class-can-fill-needs-for-the-florida-gators/

3. DT Kayden McDonald will land at Florida.​

Farrell’s take: FICTION​

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...ylan-williams-malachi-coleman-kayden-mcdonald

"The Georgia native and 2023 stud has been a Clemson lean for a long time with Michigan, Ohio State and others in the mix but Florida has always been on his mind as well. He commits Oct. 31 and the Gators have made a strong push but it would be a surprise to me if he landed anywhere but Clemson."

EDIT
Farrell does this for a living; I just have time on my hands & snoop about on the NET looking for interesting info from a Gator perspective.

I thought Kayden was headed for Clemson a month ago, then Peter Woods & Clemson's overfilled DL surfaced.

Then Kayden & his family took an OV to UF for Missouri & I got excited

Kayden is a master of recruit speak.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...ld-down-to-five-schools-sets-commitment-date/

His commit date is Halloween - Oct 31st; doubt we know anything definite before them.

Last edited:
Last edited:

What Cormani McClain's Commitment Would Mean for the Florida Gators​

Zach Goodall's opinion
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...ng-what-cormani-mcclain-commitment-would-mean

The nation's No. 1 cornerback, Cormani McClain will choose between the Gators, Crimson Tide and Hurricanes on Oct. 2

New head coach Billy Napier and his staff seamlessly picked up McClain's recruitment to Florida where Mullen and Co. left it. McClain's relationship with Gators cornerbacks coach Corey Raymond, dating back to the latter's time at LSU, has been beneficial in maintaining the recruit's intrigue in the UF, which has resulted in another five visits to Gainesville this year.

"Coach C-Ray, me and him have a great relationship, I think it's there," McClain told All Gators in July. "He's produced a lot of great athletes. I look up to coach C-Ray as one of the guys that you know is going to get you to the league and [has the] things that you need to get there."

"Should McClain pop for the in-state Gators over Alabama and Miami, the impact both optically and especially functionally could not be oversold," Sports Illustrated director of recruiting John Garcia, Jr. told All Gators. "Not only is this the top defender, cornerback and uncommitted recruit in the country, but this is the premier Floridian on the board nationally.

"The latter is where any potential resurfacing from the UF angle has to begin — winning the recruiting battles once synonymous with program success. An elite prospect from Lakeland High, in Polk County, at the cornerback position is about as ideal as that could get."

Florida has not secured the consensus No. 1 player at their position out of high school since offensive tackle Martez Ivey in 2015, two coaches staffs ago when Jim McElwain was in charge of the Gators. Only cornerback Jason Marshall Jr., a 2021 signee, came close, considered the No. 1 corner in his class by Sports Illustrated but the No. 2 corner by consensus rankings.

In addition to standing atop his position, McClain only trails King (Mich.) High quarterback Dante Moore on this year's SI99 and is currently viewed as the No. 2 prospect in the nation.

Alabama, specifically, has been a consistent threat to Florida throughout McClain's recruitment, as the Crimson Tide tends to be when it comes to the top prospects in the land.

Don't think McDonalds bags or the equivalent will dissapear, but with NIL coming on; hopefully this will even out.

Saban, will have to retire once he has to recruit players legitimately !

SOS - “In 12 years at Florida, I don’t think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama. Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours.”

Reactions: gatordad3

KAYDEN MCDONALD SAYS RYAN DAY'S VISIT "CHECKS ANOTHER BOX" FOR OHIO STATE​

McDonald took an official visit to Columbus on Sept. 24 and has remained in daily contact with Ohio State’s coaching staff since then. With a commitment date of Oct. 31 fast approaching, Day and company wanted to get another face-to-face meeting with the four-star Georgia prospect.

“Coach Day said, 'We want you. You are a priority,'” McDonald told Eleven Warriors of Ohio State’s visit to his high school.

McDonald added he doesn’t take Day visiting him at his school for granted and that the gesture touched him.

“The head coach of the No. 2 team in the country came to see me,” McDonald said. “It checks another box for Ohio State. It means a lot to me.”

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...another-box-for-ohio-state-four-star-s-vaboue

Four-star 2023 Defensive Tackle Kayden McDonald Says Ohio State is “At The Very Top” of His Recruitment Ahead of His Oct. 31 Commitment Date

How bout this guy?
There's 4-5 guys like this one that I could see us getting like 1 of them. None are in the bag but we're at that stage that assuming we get Cormani...you add a flip like Malik Bryant from Miami, or a guy like Okunlola and you automatically are in the "really really good" class...not in that top 3 but the very next level.

If you somehow get Cormani and another 2-3 of those guys and it's an elite class regardless of the exact spot you finish. So getting Cormani gets you really close where you want to get.

That's better than anything we've recruited since Muschamp's classes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT