ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

I agree overall but am holding out hope for a legit top 7-10 class.

We should get 3-4 top 200 recruits this week which would put us at the composite #11. This weekend will determine the tragectory.

If that happens we'll have like 15-16 commits with only 2 being 3-stars, and suppoedly 1 of those are getting sent elsewhere. So I like the high blue-chips incoming.

My main concern right now is that the pool of uncommitted continues to go down and even if we pop 4 this weekend, we need another 8-10 recruits that are also highly rated. We'll see how it goes.

I don't think 3 top 200 recruits this week will change the trajectory much as far as getting better than a # 10 class (hope I am wrong however). I think we would have to start getting surprises - like A top 100 Walker surprising people tonight and choosing Florida over UCF.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
I don't think 3 top 200 recruits this week will change the trajectory much as far as getting better than a # 10 class (hope I am wrong however). I think we would have to start getting surprises - like A top 100 Walker surprising people tonight and choosing Florida over UCF.
That's probably about right - and where I'm thinking too.

We grab 3 top 300's plus a Walker and another surprise. Even then we'd need to flip another top guy to get inside the top 10.

I don't think that's the biggest stretch in the world though. Just look at last year's class - we if get Perkins we're #11, not 18.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Andy Jean to UF.

16 prospects in the class, 14 from the Sunshine State and 13 with a four-star ranking.
Paco,

Agree - some great pick ups, but still some big holes.

Walker & especially LeBlanc.

DBs & WRs looking good; OL, DL, & LBs looking scarce !

BUT 13 - 4*s & hopefully more on the way is more than I expected.

Hoping we continue to roll.

Last edited:

Florida target decommits from Ohio State following Gainesville visit​

4-star defensive back Dijon Johnson had been committed to Ohio State since April. On Saturday, Johnson re-opened his commitment.

Recent quarterback and running back commitments Marcus Stokes and Treyaun Webb were seen showing Johnson around on an unofficial visit Friday.

Treyaun Webb - What If I Told Y’all There Is More ?

Marcus “JOKER” Stokes - I forgot to mention, it’s not over !

Johnson is rated as the No. 93 prospect in the Class of 2023 and the No. 10 cornerback in the nation.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...-from-ohio-state-following-gainesville-visit/

Last edited:
Give one of these young receivers we just got to commit the #1 jersey and Let's Go!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Chip Billy. Love that we have a ton of commits from the state.
Keep getting the instate recruits one at a time and more will eventually follow. Tap into Ga when possible and fill other needs. The national recruits will eventually come around. I don't know with Nick,Dabo, and Day around that the Big 3 state schools will ever lock down the state but start by getting skill position playmakers as you can. We will eventually get the LB's, DT's, and OL guys, until then tap into the portal that is available and load up with the skill position instate recruits to build your base. Billy is putting in the work.

Keep getting the instate recruits one at a time and more will eventually follow. Tap into Ga when possible and fill other needs. The national recruits will eventually come around. I don't know with Nick,Dabo, and Day around that the Big 3 state schools will ever lock down the state but start by getting skill position playmakers as you can. We will eventually get the LB's, DT's, and OL guys, until then tap into the portal that is available and load up with the skill position instate recruits to build your base. Billy is putting in the work.
Tenessee,

Absolutely Agree !

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Agreed - there's too many top schools/coaches coming to FL to get them all. It's not going to be the 90's again.

We just need to get our fair share.

My biggest take away so far is Billy is making it happen. One quick example is the 4-star kid Sorey - sounds like he'd commit right now, BUT - WE may not have room and he's Plan B for us. The kid knows this and gets it.

That's where a program needs to be.

Mizell was a real nice pickup. Finally got one of the Florida players in the composite top 100.
This weekend was great and we really needed it - just to be in line with getting the numbers right. Truth is we need a class of 23-25 so sitting at 16 and about to flip 2, lose the 3 star. We're not there yet but if we don't get closer to that 18-20 commits as other schools make fill their commitments - there won't be enough left.

So a great weekend - and we need to get another 4 or so before the cupboard is empty this cycle.

I know we can flip 1 and maybe 2 right before Early Signing but once a kid commits that is hard to do. You can't really count on getting 4-5 flips the week before. And we may lose a flip ourselves.

So I love the Blue Chip %, need Dl/OL and LB to get moving - but we're actually getting there this year. I love the effort.

Reactions: Gator Fever
This weekend was great and we really needed it - just to be in line with getting the numbers right. Truth is we need a class of 23-25 so sitting at 16 and about to flip 2, lose the 3 star. We're not there yet but if we don't get closer to that 18-20 commits as other schools make fill their commitments - there won't be enough left.

So a great weekend - and we need to get another 4 or so before the cupboard is empty this cycle.

I know we can flip 1 and maybe 2 right before Early Signing but once a kid commits that is hard to do. You can't really count on getting 4-5 flips the week before. And we may lose a flip ourselves.

So I love the Blue Chip %, need Dl/OL and LB to get moving - but we're actually getting there this year. I love the effort.
Its going to be a pretty good class just not the top 5 class a lot of people on other sites were thinking we might get (still think around # 10 composite is the ceiling short of very large class - if we do land McClain I guess it could be just a bit higher). I hope we get some more good D linemen going forward. Napier would easily land a top 5 class if he was on equal footing with the NIL mess some of these schools are pulling.

Its going to be a pretty good class just not the top 5 class a lot of people on other sites were thinking we might get (still think around # 10 composite is the ceiling short of very large class - if we do land McClain I guess it could be just a bit higher). I hope we get some more good D linemen going forward. Napier would easily land a top 5 class if he was on equal footing with the NIL mess some of these schools are pulling.
That's where I'm landing at for expectations. Not an excuse - but if NIL wasn't around I think Napier gets Top 5 first year. Dude is a monster recruiter and organizer.

We're behind and being causious on the NIL stuff. That may work out over the next 3-4 years but we'll have to see.

That's where I'm landing at for expectations. Not an excuse - but if NIL wasn't around I think Napier gets Top 5 first year. Dude is a monster recruiter and organizer.

We're behind and being causious on the NIL stuff. That may work out over the next 3-4 years but we'll have to see.
NIL game will come around. Some stuff takes time at some places vs others. No I am not saying we will always outbid oil boosters from the Texas schools or the football factories like Bama...however it will come around and we will have our share of NIL wins. No matter what anyone says we have enough football fans and wealthy boosters who want UF sports to succeed. I like how we are being smart about it vs just tossing out $$$ like Pac Man Jones at a strip club.

A few schools have been doing NIL for years now so they got the jump on us...will take some time to catch up

NIL game will come around. Some stuff takes time at some places vs others. No I am not saying we will always outbid oil boosters from the Texas schools or the football factories like Bama...however it will come around and we will have our share of NIL wins. No matter what anyone says we have enough football fans and wealthy boosters who want UF sports to succeed. I like how we are being smart about it vs just tossing out $$$ like Pac Man Jones at a strip club.
Coach might be saving some NIL money for players already in the fold to keep them out of the transfer portal.

I agree - seems University policy makers are being cautious for now while other teams are the wild west. That's what I mean - our NIL will come around as things stablize.

WTF even is that?!?!? Not to be negative about the guy, but sadgator is starting to understand why maybe he hasn’t been a head coach until now….
Sad,

See your point.

When I saw Venables' tweet or whatever, I was reminded of Dabo's policy - if we take your commit to play for Clemson, no more visits.

Now Venables seems to encouraging them to take all their visits before they commit. Makes no sense !

Last edited:

Other Gator Recruitments to Watch​

At FNL we made strides at WR & DB -

DL, LB, & OL remain huge needs;

Getting out front on a 2024 QB is an imperative

DL Kelby Collins, Kayden McDonald, Kamran James, & Will Norman

LB Jaden Robinson

OT Caden Jones

CB Dijon Johnson

QB DJ Lagway

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...recruitments-watch-following-stellar-end-july

4* LB Karmelo Overton (6-0, 200, Ozark, AL. Carroll) was on campus on Friday and had fun working out for the staff during Friday Night Lights.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/overton-had-an-awesome-visit-with-the-florida-gators/

Last edited:

QB Marcus Stokes & Legacy RB Treyaun Webb put in some recruiting work over the weekend​

Stokes was expected to miss the Friday Night Lights even coming into the weekend, but he ended up making enough room in his schedule to stop by and get some throws in with Billy Napier right beside him. When Gators Online caught up with him Friday, he said that he was also in town to do some recruiting.

“I was recruiting Dijon Johnson,” Stokes said. “I was on him the most because that would be a big pickup for us.”

Johnson backed off his commitment to Ohio State shortly after visiting Florida.

Stokes also spoke with four-star receiver Andy Jean, who ended up moving up his commitment and joining UF’s class of 2023. The young quarterback likes to know his receivers and also talked with Florida commit Aidan Mizell to make sure both ended up at the same place. Stokes transferred from Penn State knowing Mizell would be his guy.

Treyaun Webb has also been a powerful voice on the recruiting trail, but it’s always good to see the incoming class take an interest in bringing in more talent.
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/202...-friday-night-lights-dijon-johnson-andy-jean/

Last edited:
A few schools have been doing NIL for years now so they got the jump on us...will take some time to catch up
Country,

When you say a few schools have been doing NIL for years now, you mean giving out McDonalds Bags right ?

"In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama...Of course, we found out later that the scholarship they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours"

SOS​

Holes on Whorechant circa 20 years ago: “3-star players do not interest me.”

Holes on Whorechant now: “Egads! Another 3-star player! Underrated for sure. Diamond in the rough, blue-collar, hard-working run-thru-a-brick wall type of player. Norvil will maximize his potential. Future All-American. Don’t Cum, he’ll be a high 4-star/potential 5-star soon, right? RIGHT?!?!”

What a difference two decades make.

Holes on Whorechant circa 20 years ago: “3-star players do not interest me.”

Holes on Whorechant now: “Egads! Another 3-star player! Underrated for sure. Diamond in the rough, blue-collar, hard-working run-thru-a-brick wall type of player. Norvil will maximize his potential. Future All-American. Don’t Cum, he’ll be a high 4-star/potential 5-star soon, right? RIGHT?!?!”

What a difference two decades make.
Norvell can’t recruit. His staff sucks outside Atkins and Haggins. Norvell has had 3 recruiting classes and they have all been ranked 20th or worse. I don’t think their 2023 class will be much better. Their ceiling is probably already only about 15th or so. He makes Dan Mullen look like a great recruiter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT