ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to beating Bama...

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
Way too much free time on my hands and rewatched quite a bit of the Bama - Miami game and our 2 games and a lot of this is just common sense.

Bama's O line doesn't look as dominant as some of their recent ones. We got good pressure on them last year and this line looks no better than that line and maybe not as good.

I think we can contain Bama's running game some as long as we aren't getting killed by their passing. Biggest thing will be preventing the big runs by not missing tackles.

On offense I think we will be able to run some due to the running ability of the QBs we have. I think the key will be whether our RBs are getting decent yards. If Bama was to hold our RBs to under 4 yards a carry I don't like our chances short of the QBs just having a great game rushing. We also have to have some passing threat to keep Bama on their heels some.

Turnovers - Doubt we have any chance if we were to have more turnovers than Bama though crazy things do happen.

* Why I think Bama is more likely to win despite our big home field advantage.

Bama's QB I think is mobile/quick enough to take advantage of our biggest weakness - Some of Grantham's play designs and a secondary (linebackers also) that are prone to getting confused leaving receivers open down the field. It cropped up again in the South Florida game and unlike the first 2 opponents Bama will take advantage of that.

Just hoping we can get the crowd rattling them the whole game and an early lead to maybe hang with them until the 4th quarter with a chance to win.

Grantham defenses haven't fared well against teams with equal or better talent. Bama is most likely going to put up 35+ points. Need to have no turnovers to have a shot.

He calls some dangerous stuff many times. If he keeps having that LB responsible for the RB if he releases out lining up near the center threatening blitz I fully expect to see Bama's RB taking the pass with that LB 5 yards away from catching him and him running through our DBs for a couple of real big gains.

Country, Fever

Time for a change at DC ?

Grantham not a great recruiter & 3rd & Grantham hasn't worked well anywhere.
I've never been a fan of Grantham even before he came to UF. He does well when we have a team very overmatched, but he's never done particularly well against equal teams. Go ask Georgia fans if they want him back...

Country, Fever

Time for a change at DC ?

Grantham not a great recruiter & 3rd & Grantham hasn't worked well anywhere.

It wouldn't shock me if Richardson determines his fate. If we beat Georgia he may survive even if he is still fielding a sub par defense.

Anthony Richardson on track to play against Alabama​

per GT front page -

Only problem is he has to practice to know the game plan & one little tweak could put him on the bench for quite a while.

Guess we just have to trust the training staff & hope they can keep him healthy.

Even with a healty AR (15) we are a decided under dog to Bama; without him even worse.

https://florida.rivals.com/news/anthony-richardson-on-track-to-play-against-alabama

Reactions: Gator Fever
Supposedly these are the Bama's QB's passing stats in the fist 2 games on any passes less than 20 yards past the line. Pretty crazy if accurate because he throws on the move a lot. I guess on ten 20+ yard passes he is only 1 for 10 but he had one dropped also.

- 45/50 (90%) (2 drops)
- 477 yards
- 9.54 YPA
- 6 TD/0 INT

Reactions: gatordad3
Supposedly these are the Bama's QB's passing stats in the fist 2 games on any passes less than 20 yards past the line. Pretty crazy if accurate because he throws on the move a lot. I guess on ten 20+ yard passes he is only 1 for 10 but he had one dropped also.

- 45/50 (90%) (2 drops)
- 477 yards
- 9.54 YPA
- 6 TD/0 INT
I've watched several good QB's go up against a Grantham-led Gator defense. If that form holds true, we can expect nonexistent pressure combined with guys running all alone. A powerful combination, just not for us.

I'm thinking of a drinking game where you drink every time we run a delayed blitz from so far back the pass is long gone before the guy gets anywhere near the QB, and chug every time the announcer says "looks like there was miscommunication in the secondary". I figure to be passed out by halftime.

I've watched several good QB's go up against a Grantham-led Gator defense. If that form holds true, we can expect nonexistent pressure combined with guys running all alone. A powerful combination, just not for us.

I'm thinking of a drinking game where you drink every time we run a delayed blitz from so far back the pass is long gone before the guy gets anywhere near the QB, and chug every time the announcer says "looks like there was miscommunication in the secondary". I figure to be passed out by halftime.

Yep Elam is the only one I expect to hold up decent. I think they could pick on us with the TE also if they chose to.

I noticed in that Miami game they had a 300 pounder lined up at TE a couple of times and just ran right over Miami. No way Cox with his injury issue will hold up to that. Don't see the other Bucks defending that well either. Hopefully Grantham has a plan for that but knowing him he will leave a smaller lineup in for that.

None of you will be doing what I'll be doing.

hanging out with my Alabama friend at his house because it's secluded enough that I can yell and scream all kinds of things that you can't do or say in rational, sober company.

while he does his usual "hey it's just the first quarter" thing before he gets drunk and starts shouting Roll Tide at me.

the amount of drunk I'll be to soothe me before the game starts is enough to make a Baptist seek help.

It’s pretty insane that the coaching staff actually lets Richardson do a round off/flip like that….

That video is Exhibit “A” as to why you should not invest your happiness in the actions of 19 year old college kids…just sayin’
With the transfer portal, coaches don't have the same authority they once did. They have to coddle the players a bit. Can you imagine the reaction if Richardson announced he was going in the transfer portal? It would not be pretty.

Reactions: Gator Fever
With the transfer portal, coaches don't have the same authority they once did. They have to coddle the players a bit. Can you imagine the reaction if Richardson announced he was going in the transfer portal? It would not be pretty.
If they keep allowing these no sit a year transfers and Mullen really stuck with Jones Richardson will be heading to one of these big football schools with a very large sum of name rights money waiting on him. Heck even if Jones remained the starter and he was forced to go FCS he probably would just to get the ability on film for the NFL.

3rd & Grantham

We have all seen Grantham's propensity for delayed blitzes; they come so late & from so deep they accomplish nothing.

Another opinion on Gratham's style of Defense; it doesn;t work against teams with equal talent & coaching !

"...If Florida blitzes too often, it risks giving Young open throws against a secondary that is plagued with questions beyond safety Trey Dean and All-American corner Kaiir Elam. Limiting big-play opportunities will be vital for Florida.

Blitzing creates risks; USF should have scored a touchdown in a bad matchup created by a Florida blitz last week. Young is unlikely to miss these opportunities, and Florida can’t win if Alabama collects easy scores."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ps-that-will-define-the-alabama-florida-game/

With the transfer portal, coaches don't have the same authority they once did. They have to coddle the players a bit.
Perhaps…but do you really think a player on Bama would do that in front of Saban? Not saying it’s right or wrong…but they wouldn’t. That team is too disciplined for that.

That being said, if it helps him get amped up to make plays, sadgator’d let him do as many flips as he wants…

3rd & Grantham

We have all seen Grantham's propensity for delayed blitzes; they come so late & from so deep they accomplish nothing.

Another opinion on Gratham's style of Defense; it doesn;t work against teams with equal talent & coaching !

"...If Florida blitzes too often, it risks giving Young open throws against a secondary that is plagued with questions beyond safety Trey Dean and All-American corner Kaiir Elam. Limiting big-play opportunities will be vital for Florida.

Blitzing creates risks; USF should have scored a touchdown in a bad matchup created by a Florida blitz last week. Young is unlikely to miss these opportunities, and Florida can’t win if Alabama collects easy scores."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...ps-that-will-define-the-alabama-florida-game/

And some of his pretend blitzes are designed where they can easily give up a big play.

Holy crap - just read that and saw where Bama is 31-0 against the East since the 2008 lost to us I assume. That us unbelievable that either Florida or Georgia haven't beat them in over 11 years.

I think we are on an 0-7 run against Bama and Georgia looks to be on 0-6 run against them.

More on that article. I watched Cox individually on the USF replay and unless he has healed a lot or wasn't given a shot in his foot or something I doubt he is going to be creating a lot of havoc in Bama's backfield.

We can probably get good pressure with 4 this year but we did that a lot against Bama in the 2020 SECCG but their QB last year always seemed to have a receiver running wide open when we did allowing him to still make the big plays. Also that QB wasn't even that mobile while this QB unless the noise in the Swamp really rattles him has plenty of quickness to buy a little extra time until one of Bama's options are open.

I think its a situation where you are in big danger either way due to that QB's mobility and Grantham's schemes which seem to result in a lot of LBs and DBs being lost in pass coverage.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT