ADVERTISEMENT

Gators to Hire Ron Roberts as LB Coach, Co-Defensive Coordinator ?

Where will the Hiring of Kiesaus take us ?

Saban & Smart both started out as ground pounders; not quite Woody Hayes & his "3 yards & a cloud of dust" offense, but close to it. They have changed & embraced the passing game as a way to open up the run game.

Defensive coaching skills, game plans, & the quality of SEC Defensive players makes that necessary.

Napier's hiring of Kiesaus appears to be a recognition of that need to adapt.

If offensive players aren't saying - "I could see myself in that offense." they probably aren't coming to UF.

Most posters, myself included, think we have a deficiency at QB. Much of it stems from circumstances (Kitna, Stokes, Rashada) no one could have anticipated or controlled.

Don't know where we go from here or if Kiesaus will make any difference.

To me, the most important point in bringing Kiesaus onboard, is Napier - realizing the need & being willing to change.

Kirby went through several OCs before he found the right fit.

If Kiesaus isn't the right person, than Napier will quickly recognize it & bring in someone else.

IMO, Billy will set at least one basic parameter for any Coach who takes the Offensive Analyst / OC position - UF isn't looking to recreate the "fun & gun."

Any Coach coming to UF will need to work within the boundaries of a run heavy framework.

Is he giving up play calling?

This National Signing Day Guide says Jaden Rashada is choosing between Arizona State & TCU.

Figured it would be somewhere like that. No one is giving that kid crazy money to sign with them. I bet our final real offer from the actual big boosters was more than double TCU or AZ State will give him though.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
In Kiesaus' lone season as Auburn OC, the Tigers went 5-7 overall and just 2-6 in the SEC. The team ranked No. 90 of 131 FBS programs in Pts/Gm and No. 78 in total offense against FBS opponents. Auburn's passing game ranked among the worst in the nation in most major statistical categories.

In 2022 with Napier's offense, the Gators ranked No. 14 in yards per rush against FBS teams and No. 26 in total rushing yards per game,,, but finished the season ranked No. 90 among FBS teams in passing yards per game, No. 117 in completion percentage and No. 63 in yards per pass.

Projected starter Mertz in 2022 threw for 2,136 yds, 19 TD's, 10 Ints, and Mertz was sacked 23 times despite leading an offense that ran the ball nearly 58% of the time, along with his own negative rushing yards.

I hope that the Gator fans are ready for the '3 yards and a cloud of dust' offense that looks to be coming for 2023....

Maybe he can give some good input towards play calling and help out with the QB's.

He wasn't very good at Auburn, hence why he's going off field and not in another OC role. That being said, even though he wasn't successful, anytime you can hire a former OC as an analyst, it's a huge win because it's almost no risk to you. So in context, it's a good hire.

He wasn't very good at Auburn, hence why he's going off field and not in another OC role. That being said, even though he wasn't successful, anytime you can hire a former OC as an analyst, it's a huge win because it's almost no risk to you. So in context, it's a good hire.
Numbers,

Our offense in the L V Bowl (3 points) wasn't very good either; so any attempt by Billy to improve it is welcomed !

The Gators once again got a plug and play OL star.​

Farrell’s take: FACT​

Last year it was O’Cyrus Torrence who came in and made a big impact and this year it will be Kiyaunta Goodwin from Kentucky. Huh? Torrence was an All American candidate at Louisiana while Goodwin was a big recruit coming out but didn’t play much last season. I love his frame and work ethic and think getting away from his home state of Kentucky will push him to elite status this year. Or at least a starting role.

Not sure i agree; last I heard he had some weight & conditioning issues, plus, though he played in numerous (12 ?) games, he wasn't really a starter.

Eight months till start of season, so if he works hard, he can lose the weight & improve his conditioning.

Guess we will see.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...ms-losses-uscs-gains-kiyaunta-goodwins-impact

Reactions: seffnergator

The Gators once again got a plug and play OL star.​

Farrell’s take: FACT​

Last year it was O’Cyrus Torrence who came in and made a big impact and this year it will be Kiyaunta Goodwin from Kentucky. Huh? Torrence was an All American candidate at Louisiana while Goodwin was a big recruit coming out but didn’t play much last season. I love his frame and work ethic and think getting away from his home state of Kentucky will push him to elite status this year. Or at least a starting role.

Not sure i agree; last I heard he had some weight & conditioning issues, plus, though he played in numerous (12 ?) games, he wasn't really a starter.

Eight months till start of season, so if he works hard, he can lose the weight & improve his conditioning.

Guess we will see.

https://mikefarrellsports.com/fact-...ms-losses-uscs-gains-kiyaunta-goodwins-impact
I think this kid will do well but the plug in play guy will be the kid we got from Baylor. The UK kid had already dropped a lot of weight when he visited UF.

This National Signing Day Guide says Jaden Rashada is choosing between Arizona State & TCU.
I'm sure they'll top $13 million lol.

The fact that the Rashada camp isn't talking crap may suggest there was simply serious miscommunication.

That doesn't really help UF but seems about right.

I think this kid will do well but the plug in play guy will be the kid we got from Baylor. The UK kid had already dropped a lot of weight when he visited UF.
I'm pretty impressed with the way Napier addressed O-line needs. Losing Torrence, White, Tarquin & Gouriage created a near crisis and he dealt with it admirably, IMO. Too bad he couldn't do better with the QB situation.

Too bad he couldn't do better with the QB situation.
Ocala,

Snake Bit !

Jalen Kitna - no way in hell to predict that & Napier & staff had nothing to do with it.

Marcus Stokes - situation was over exaggerated IMO, but Napier thought Rashada & Lagway had us in good shape & he didn't think he needed him - hindsight, as always, 20/20.

But, even if he was Early Entry, don't think Stokes would do much for our current QB situation.

Even though Mertz & Miller aren't Heisman candidates; I still hope Napier doesn't go after another Transfer QB - none left worth having.

If no more injuries, OL will be acceptable. Defense remains the Achilles heel; improve that & team will go 7-5. 8-4.

Senator Marco Rubio's Son, Anthony, Commits to Florida Gators​

Anthony Rubio, son of U.S. Senator Marco Rubio, committed to Florida as a preferred walk-on.

Anthony Rubio, a class of 2023 running back from Miami (Fla.) Belen Jesuit Prep and the son of United States Senator Marco Rubio, committed to Florida as a preferred walk-on on Thursday.

Standing at 5-foot-10, 175 pounds, Rubio posted 229 rushes for 1,474 yards and 14 touchdowns in three varsity seasons, per MaxPreps, adding 26 receptions for 324 yards and a score through the air. He has reportedly clocked a 100-meter dash result of 11.18 seconds.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/football/florida-gators-senator-marco-rubio-son-anthony-commits

Got a HUDL video on there

Reactions: gatordad3
Someone catch me up please, gators lost 4 o lineman starters, 2 to draft, 2 to portal, now they have signed a guy from Baylor and kentucky (goodwin) who are both projected tonstart? Am I missing anyone?

Someone catch me up please, gators lost 4 o lineman starters, 2 to draft, 2 to portal, now they have signed a guy from Baylor and kentucky (goodwin) who are both projected tonstart? Am I missing anyone?
Lost 3 starters. Tarquin had lost is starting job to Barber at RT but was a good depth piece. Barber will slide over to LT this year IMO. Return the starting center and the Baylor guy will start at guard. That leaves 2 spots open for grabs between Goodwin, George (Bama transfer), Richie Leonard, Waites (injured), Jalen Farmer or David Connor. I think oline will still be pretty good but probably not as good as the 2022 oline plus not having a QB as mobile as AR even though I wasn’t a huge fan of ARs abilities as a QB. In general the team is still super young. Only 29 juniors/seniors on the entire team.

Lost 3 starters. Tarquin had lost is starting job to Barber at RT but was a good depth piece. Barber will slide over to LT this year IMO. Return the starting center and the Baylor guy will start at guard. That leaves 2 spots open for grabs between Goodwin, George (Bama transfer), Richie Leonard, Waites (injured), Jalen Farmer or David Connor. I think oline will still be pretty good but probably not as good as the 2022 oline plus not having a QB as mobile as AR even though I wasn’t a huge fan of ARs abilities as a QB. In general the team is still super young. Only 29 juniors/seniors on the entire team.
If either Goodwin or George play up to their potential the line will be slightly better. But again thats if.

Reactions: PacoGator19
If either Goodwin or George play up to their potential the line will be slightly better. But again thats if.

I think the line could possibly be just a little better overall though Torrence was really good. Might not show in rushing yards average with us not having a QB that is a big running threat though like said above. As far as protecting the QB its all going to come down to who wins that other Tackle position opposite of Barber and how good they are.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I think the line could possibly be just a little better overall though Torrence was really good. Might not show in rushing yards average with us not having a QB that is a big running threat though like said above. As far as protecting the QB its all going to come down to who wins that other Tackle position opposite of Barber and how good they are.
Agree completely. It is also too bad Waites got injured. He was just ok in the bowl game but he has a lot of potential and I felt could possibly make an impact on the oline this year. He just needs some PT/experience. Unfortunately not sure that is a reality now due to his injury.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
NSD - Feb 1, 2023

Hopefully we sign Caden Jones to complete our class. he has the size & the arm spread to be a good one in 2 years.
Don't think he will be an Early Enrollee, guess he shows up over the summer.

The Gators head into NSD with 20 members and the nation’s No. 11 class in the On3 Consensus Team Rankings. They rank No. 7 nationally in average player rating (91.34).

On Wednesday UF officially signs its lone verbal commit, four-star offensive tackle Caden Jones, who pledged Jan. 7 at the All-American Bowl on NBC.

It will also mark the first time Napier discusses the 10 transfers he and his staff landed from the portal, all of whom are enrolled for spring. Only one was inked on Early Signing Day (Louisville DL Caleb Banks) but Napier did not mention him during his Dec. 21 press conference.

UF has since signed double-digit transfers along with quarterback Graham Mertz (Wisconsin), running back Cameron Carroll (Tulane), offensive linemen Micah Mazzccua (Baylor), Damieon George (Alabama) and Kiyaunta Goodwin (Kentucky), defensive lineman Cam’Ron Jackson (Memphis), and linebackers Teradja Mitchell (Ohio State), Mannie Nunnery (Houston) and Deuce Spurlock (Michigan).

Florida could also add more transfers to the 2023 roster when another portal window opens from May 1-15. The Gators landed leading receiver Ricky Pearsall from Arizona State after spring ball.

Napier is scheduled to speak to the media on Wednesday at approximately 4:15 p.m. in the Heavener Football Training Center. He’ll also address questions about former quarterback signee Jaden Rashada, who was released from his letter of intent after his NIL deal fell through.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-g...zes-signing-haul-for-2023-class-on-wednesday/

Last edited:
NSD for Other SEC Schools

UGA
https://www.si.com/college/georgia/...day-walker-lyons-ellis-robinson-duce-robinson

LSU
https://www.si.com/college/lsu/football/lsu-targeting-dynamic-2023-dl-ahead-of-national-signing-day

Bama

Alabama closes out 2023 cycle with No. 1 recruiting class - Enough said ?​

Saban & Bama have signed a total of seven five-star prospects and brought in the second-highest rated group of all time in the On3 Consensus, only behind that last year's infamous Texas A&M class - many of whom have already left !
https://www.on3.com/college/alabama...-alabama-back-on-top-of-the-recruiting-world/

SOW: Jordan Travis​

Travis’ decision to come back in 2023 rather than enter the NFL Draft was a major victory for coach Mike Norvell and the Seminoles.

Travis was the driving force behind FSU’s emergence back into the top tier of the ACC, leading the team to 9 wins, including 5 straight to end the regular season. Travis blossomed in 2022, throwing for 2,796 yards and accounting for a combined 29 touchdowns passing and rushing.

He finished the season as the No. 1-rated college quarterback in the country in rankings compiled by Pro Football Focus.
https://saturdayroad.com/acc/acc-football-transfer-starting-quarterbacks-2023/

SEC Football Team Stats

RKTEAM PF PTS/G TOTAL YDS TOT YDS/G PASS YDS PASS YDS/G RUSH YDS RUSH YDS/G
1Tennessee Volunteers56847.36,457538.13,988332.32,469205.8
2Alabama Crimson Tide48940.85,706475.53,339278.32,367197.3
3Georgia Bulldogs50939.26,395491.93,704284.92,691207.0
4Ole Miss Rebels41034.25,895491.32,756229.73,139261.6
5Mississippi State Bulldogs39232.74,718393.23,772314.394678.8
6LSU Tigers42032.35,752442.53,401261.62,351180.8
7Florida Gators38131.85,294441.22,730227.52,564213.7
8South Carolina Gamecocks38031.74,573381.13,093257.81,480123.3

The fact that none of the top football programs were banging on his door while landing at ASU speaks volumes.
EFF him!

So did he get that $13 mil or not? I can only hope BN no longer pursues California recruits, let alone QB's. We've all seen how Powell and Shaw turned out.

• Love
Reactions: Jeff from Jax

Nyckoles Harbor, nation's No. 1 ranked Athlete chooses South Carolina​

https://usatodayhss.com/2023/nyckoles-harbor-nations-no-1-ranked-athlete-chooses-south-carolina

Harbor joins other highly rated recruits. South Carolina is off to a strong start building their 2024 recruiting class. Earlier this week, the No. 1 ranked offensive tackle in the class, Kam Pringle announced his commitment to the Gamecocks.

Yesterday, the school added another blue chip prospect to their ranks when Calvary Day (Ga.) four-star tight end Michael Smith announced his commitment in enthusiastic fashion:

https://usatodayhss.com/2023/calvary-day-tight-end-michael-smith-commits-south-carolina

3-Star Edge Rusher Layne Swafford from Ponte Vedra decommitted from Marshall 1/29 and committed today to Florida as a preferred walk-on.

ADVERTISEMENT