ADVERTISEMENT

John Hevesy’s recruiting

Coaches gonna coach,,, while quacks gonna write drivel for clicks...

With his focus being on the OL, John has brought a unique perspective as an OL / co-OC in his 1st 2 season at UF, helping the team go 21-5 with 2 NY-6 Bowl wins.
Now the OL / Run Game Coordinator, Hevesy has been with Mullen since Bowling Green. That would include 2 NC's BTW, and then getting freakin' MsSt to a #1 Poll Ranking for the 1st time in their history.

Their current record at UF is 31-9 (.775).

With over 25 years of coaching experience
at Trinity, Brown, Syracuse, Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and Mississippi State, Hevesy returned to Gainesville with a wealth of knowledge on the OL and running game. Just since the 2013, 15 of Hevesy’s protégés have reached the NFL, despite what some recruiting service twits ranked them coming out of HS.

Florida (2018-Present)
In 2020 the OL unit anchored one of the most prolific offenses in the nation. The line provided Heisman Trophy Finalist Kyle Trask the time to help the Gators lead the nation in passing yards per game (378.6) while ranking 8th nationally in yards per play (7.28) and 9th in yards per game (509.8).

On the rushing front, both Dameon Pierce and Malik Davis averaged 4.7 YPC while Emory Jones exploded for 6.8 YPC. Against rival Georgia, UF running backs combined for 212 receiving yards on 10 catches, led by Davis’ five for 100 yards. The OL was also responsible for the Gators’ 21 rushing TD's in 2020. Of those 21 rushing TD's, 4 different Gators -- Perine, Pierce, Emory Jones, Trask – had at least 4 rushing TD's for the 1st time since 2008 (also under Hevesy), when 5 Gators had at least that many.

In the 1st 2 games of 2021, UF has rushed for 381.5 Yds/Gm at 8.5 YPC, and the OL has given up one sack for -8 yds.
But JUS-DAMN, dump-azz Dan hasn't fired John yet....
🙄

Reactions: SwampLander
We will see what this O line is made of Saturday. So far it has looked alright against lower competition but the right tackle spot has looked suspect at times.

Reactions: gatordad3
Led the nation in 2020 in Passing Yards / Game.
Currently leading the nation in Rushing Yards/ Game.
Doing so with 3-4 star ranked recruits that he keeps sending on to the NFL...
🤔

Dissing on Hevesy is even dumber than dissing on Grantham, just because Todd's defense has led the nation in sacks the last 2 seasons, and in his first 2 season his defense was Top 10 in the nation in total defense.....
I'm giving his defense a pass on the scamdemic season.
IMO, the 2 coaches that needed to be replaced, were.

Led the nation in 2020 in Passing Yards / Game.
Currently leading the nation in Rushing Yards/ Game.
Doing so with 3-4 star ranked recruits that he keeps sending on to the NFL...
🤔

Dissing on Hevesy is even dumber than dissing on Grantham, just because Todd's defense has led the nation in sacks the last 2 seasons, and in his first 2 season his defense was Top 10 in the nation in total defense.....
I'm giving his defense a pass on the scamdemic season.
IMO, the 2 coaches that needed to be replaced, were.

They weren't great run blocking last season but pass blocking was pretty good. This game will tell us where we stand on run blocking as far as being a top unit. The RBs average per carry will be what is telling. We know the QBs should get loose for a few big runs.

They weren't great run blocking last season but pass blocking was pretty good. This game will tell us where we stand on run blocking as far as being a top unit. The RBs average per carry will be what is telling. We know the QBs should get loose for a few big runs.
If we can run, we have a chance.

Well it's the one position it seems a bunch of 3 stars end up getting real good.
Man our running game looks dominant. If we can run on bama like that I like our chances to see them again in Atlanta. And the defense is light years ahead of last year. I know they had some critical penalties and a blown coverage but they definitely improved throughout the game. And find a kicker.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Man our running game looks dominant. If we can run on bama like that I like our chances to see them again in Atlanta. And the defense is light years ahead of last year. I know they had some critical penalties and a blown coverage but they definitely improved throughout the game. And find a kicker.

It would make you think GA is our only dangerous game but we know how college football goes.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Hevesy can coach. If only he could recruit
Maybe it's the 'bag-men' elsewhere that create the recruiting differential, not the Gator coaches?
I'll take the ones that WANT to be Gators, over the ones that demand something extra, every time....

BTW, who was he OL coach when the Pouncey twins (among many others) were recruited to UF???
And I'll take the on the field results over any HS recruiting service stars every time....
Kyle Task ** 2nd Rnd to the Bucs ----- Undrafted OL M. Ivey *****

HS Recruits can commit to the 'Gator Standards' (academic & character) and to UF, while the gator-baits can continue to go elsewhere.

OL Hevesy at UF -- 2005-08---2018-20
C Maurkice Pouncey **** (1st) – Florida ’10 – Pittsburgh Steelers
C Mike Pouncey **** (1st) – Florida ’11 – Miami Dolphins
OT Marcus Gilbert **** (2nd) – Florida ’11 – Pittsburgh Steelers
OT Marcus Hurt NR (7th) – Florida ’11 – Washington Redskins
>>> He had 4 OL'men taken in the draft while at MsSt.
OT Jawaan Taylor *** (2nd) - Florida ' 19 - Jacksonville Jaguars
OT Stone Forsythe **** (6th) - Florida '21 - Seattle Seahawks
Leak, Tebow Franks, Trask, Jones, and Richardson have all played behind his OL's.

So, at UF he had 2 1st Rounders, and 2 2nd Rounders, with 6 total.
Not a single one was a 5-star recruit, but there was a NR and a 3-star drafted.
In the last 15 years, he's sent 10 of his coached up OL'men on to the NFL.
His teams W/L record is pretty good in that span also, going 75-19 (.798) at UF, and 70-46 (.603) at MsSt, for a total W/L record of 145-65 (.690) combined.

Smart is a recruiter.
Mullen is a coacher.
Take your pick on which kind you want....

Maybe it's the 'bag-men' elsewhere that create the recruiting differential, not the Gator coaches?
I'll take the ones that WANT to be Gators, over the ones that demand something extra, every time....

BTW, who was he OL coach when the Pouncey twins (among many others) were recruited to UF???
And I'll take the on the field results over any HS recruiting service stars every time....

HS Recruits can commit to the 'Gator Standards' (academic & character) and to UF, while the gator-baits can continue to go elsewhere.

Leak, Tebow Franks, Trask, Jones, and Richardson have all played behind his OL's.

His teams W/L record is pretty good in that span also, going 75-19 (.798) at UF, and 70-46 (.603) at MsSt, for a total W/L record of 145-65 (.690) combined.

Smart is a recruiter.
Mullen is a coacher.
During the Meyer era we had 2 oline coaches. Hevesy and Addazio. Hevesy was more of the developer/coach whereas Addazio was more of the recruiter, etc.

Reactions: instaGATOR

Smart is a recruiter.
Mullen is a coacher.
I'm pretty sure it was Maurice Hurt, not Marcus. His nickname was Mo Hurt. I could be wrong of course, it's been a while.

ADVERTISEMENT