ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremy Foley & Urban Meyer package deal to USC Trojans ???

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
SEP. 9, 2019 - USC athletic director Lynn Swann resigned after three tumultuous years atop one of the nation’s most prestigious athletic departments.

Rumors swirl about USC's Head Coach - Clay Helton (3-3 this year) after the Notre Dame loss.

With Helton's future in obvious doubt, The Big Lead this week came up with five potential options for the Trojans should they move on from their head coach. The Los Angeles Times called Helton's outlook "bleak" over the weekend while The Sporting News believes the next three games could be Helton's final "trial" at the program.

3.) JAMES FRANKLIN, PENN STATE
2.) BOB STOOPS, XFL COACH
1.) URBAN MEYER, FOX SPORTS ANALYST

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...Urban-Meyer-Lynn-Swann-135689738/#135689738_9

In a column posted late Sunday night, Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel suggests that the Trojans should target Foley not only due to his tremendous legacy as an AD for the Gators but because it could help lure Meyer to the program.

But here’s the kicker (emphasis added).

Foley did not respond to a request for comment from Yahoo Sports about USC. But it would be surprising if he didn’t at least listen, as people who’ve spoken with Foley have indicated that he’d be open to discussing the job.

It is unsurprising that Foley would not comment on this story, which is more a column than a news report. That’s also how these things work. It’s the way in which one could — if they were so inclined — indirectly make their interest about a job public knowledge. It’s also how a coach like Meyer could get the ball rolling and let it be known what it would take to get him in the fold.

When you remember that Thamel has time and time and time again broken sensitive Meyer-related news dating back to the coach’s time at Florida and Thamel’s tenure at the New York Times, the dots are easy to connect. Of course, to be fair, that’s speculation as well.

https://www.onlygators.com/10/14/20...to-discussing-usc-ad-job-in-urban-meyer-ploy/

SEP. 9, 2019 - USC athletic director Lynn Swann resigned after three tumultuous years atop one of the nation’s most prestigious athletic departments.

Rumors swirl about USC's Head Coach - Clay Helton (3-3 this year) after the Notre Dame loss.

With Helton's future in obvious doubt, The Big Lead this week came up with five potential options for the Trojans should they move on from their head coach. The Los Angeles Times called Helton's outlook "bleak" over the weekend while The Sporting News believes the next three games could be Helton's final "trial" at the program.

3.) JAMES FRANKLIN, PENN STATE
2.) BOB STOOPS, XFL COACH
1.) URBAN MEYER, FOX SPORTS ANALYST

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...Urban-Meyer-Lynn-Swann-135689738/#135689738_9

In a column posted late Sunday night, Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel suggests that the Trojans should target Foley not only due to his tremendous legacy as an AD for the Gators but because it could help lure Meyer to the program.

But here’s the kicker (emphasis added).

Foley did not respond to a request for comment from Yahoo Sports about USC. But it would be surprising if he didn’t at least listen, as people who’ve spoken with Foley have indicated that he’d be open to discussing the job.

It is unsurprising that Foley would not comment on this story, which is more a column than a news report. That’s also how these things work. It’s the way in which one could — if they were so inclined — indirectly make their interest about a job public knowledge. It’s also how a coach like Meyer could get the ball rolling and let it be known what it would take to get him in the fold.

When you remember that Thamel has time and time and time again broken sensitive Meyer-related news dating back to the coach’s time at Florida and Thamel’s tenure at the New York Times, the dots are easy to connect. Of course, to be fair, that’s speculation as well.

https://www.onlygators.com/10/14/20...to-discussing-usc-ad-job-in-urban-meyer-ploy/
Any school hiring Urban will come under a ton of scrutiny.

Foley will not be the AD at USC.

sadgator wouldn’t be shocked if Urban went to USC, but it is not likely.

Why do you think Foley wouldn’t take that job?

I would be surprised if Urb came back this quickly. Coaching was literally killing him. He straight up looked like he was going to die on the sidelines in a couple games last year. I could see it maybe in a couple years if the ND job came open. Otherwise, why do it?

If Urban is going to be the new Pete Carroll, who do they recruit to be the next Reggie Bush? ;) --- :D

Reactions: VZDawg
Why do you think Foley wouldn’t take that job?

I would be surprised if Urb came back this quickly. Coaching was literally killing him. He straight up looked like he was going to die on the sidelines in a couple games last year. I could see it maybe in a couple years if the ND job came open. Otherwise, why do it?

Because they would never offer him the job?

I have never seen so much joke praise for someone who screwed a football program over with his thinking that he is the smartest man in the room and was not going to get in an arms race. I laugh at this just like the talk about him being the SEC commissioner previously. They were never considering Foley in reality.

His one decent hire in football was forced on him by Machen whether he wanted to hire him or not.

Another fine example of ole Fevered brain thinking.... :confused:

A successful hire is totally controlled but UF's President, not Foley. o_O

All bad hires are 'Soley-Foley' mistakes... :cool:

ROTF :D:D:D:D LMFAO

PS
And there is no such thing as a search, research, and hiring committee... :rolleyes:

Another fine example of ole Fevered brain thinking.... :confused:

PS
And there is no such thing as a search, research, and hiring committee... :rolleyes:

Spurrier finally put that argument to rest some months back as he said Machen had his guy basically from Utah and he was never considered in reality. Foley had no choice there who was hired. Heck Machen even disrespected Spurrier with that mess about he could apply like anyone else when asked about Spurrier by the press back then because he knew Meyer would be the hire. Crazy seeing a University President forcing a hire like that even though it was a good one.

Spurrier finally put that argument to rest some months back as he said Machen had his guy basically from Utah and he was never considered in reality. Foley had no choice there who was hired. Heck Machen even disrespected Spurrier with that mess about he could apply like anyone else when asked about Spurrier by the press back then because he knew Meyer would be the hire. Crazy seeing a University President forcing a hire like that even though it was a good one.

My inclination is to bitch-slap your ignorance some more, but I'll try to be nice this time.

When it happened,,,,
I pointed out the Machen from BGSU to Utah move.
Then Urban from BGSU the following year.

Then Machen from Utah to UF.
Then Urban to UF the following year.

This is a decades old story for me, but you are as clueless as usual.

You don't even realize that you've missed the point of my post, while babbling away.
Read it again, slow this time, or get your Mom to explain it to you.

PS
================

Let me see if I can help you out here.
1. Machen did make the Meyer hire. It's why the UAA/UF hired him to begin with.
(but Machen didn't make the decision to hire Dan, those that hired Machen did)

2. Foley never made an exclusive hire decision as the AD,,, EVER! o_O
(he was paid to be the goat for any hire that didn't work out)

You probably think that the President of the U.S. makes all of his own decisions....
Those with true power make the big decisions, they just let him make some of the little decisions. He's more like a mob lawyer mouthpiece than a real ruler....

You're just a little turd floating up on the surface of reality.
While you are pretty much clueless about the depths below you... :cool:

Last edited:
My inclination is to bitch-slap your ignorance some more, but I'll try to be nice this time.

When it happened,,,,
I pointed out the Machen from BGSU to Utah move.
Then Urban from BGSU the following year.

Then Machen from Utah to UF.
Then Urban to UF the following year.

This is a decades old story for me, but you are as clueless as usual.

You don't even realize that you've missed the point of my post, while babbling away.
Read it again, slow this time, or get you Mom to explain it to you.

PS
================

Let me see if I can help you out here.
1. Machen did make the Meyer hire. It's why the UAA/UF hired him to begin with.
(but Machen didn't make the decision to hire Dan, those that hired Machen did)

2. Foley never made an exclusive hire decision as the AD,,, EVER! o_O
(he was paid to be the goat for any hire that didn't work out)

You probably think that the President of the U.S. makes all of his own decisions....
Those with true power make the big decisions, they just let him make some of the little decisions. He's more like a mod lawyer mouthpiece than a real ruler....

You're just a little turd floating up on the surface of reality.
While you are pretty much clueless about the depths below you... :cool:

:rolleyes: o_O Moron the AD's usually make the hire and aren't messed with by the President unless there are big political considerations - that is why Machen being so forceful like that looked odd.

And you are the same naive person that thought Foley was being wise back then not getting into an arms race in football because he was winning women's tennis titles so I should have figured that thinking coming from you. :D

My guess would be that Foley is perceived nationally as an absolutely premier AD candidate, particularly at an all sport school like USC. He did botch three football hires though. Mac is an all time botch job.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
You people really are this clueless about the depths of the decision making hierarchy. Totally clueless about the role of a mouthpiece. :rolleyes:

I'll bet you also believe that the HC has made every decision on every player that's ever been allowed to put on a Gator uniform too.... :confused:

Stay in the shallow end of the pool. You're obviously not equipped for the deep end... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT