ADVERTISEMENT

It’s official, transfers can play next year..

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
The NCAA voted yesterday and anyone who is going to ( or has ) transfer will be allowed to play next year. So, those of you thinking Coach White is the problem gotta factor this into the equation. You’ve got over 1,200 kids who were a big deal in High School who mostly are bench warmers now thinking at a new school they’ll start and be a stud again.

Just pure stupidity IMO. It opens the door for a lot of stuff that could be illegal. But, when these kids end up in cold country with their ass still in the bench they just may regret their decision.

Has the SEC chimed in yet? I was thinking they still need to decide as well whether the conference will concur

I mean, most transfers played day 1 anyway with a waiver. Dont feel this is a big impact

Has the SEC chimed in yet? I was thinking they still need to decide as well whether the conference will concur
SEC could say that transfers within the conference have to sit.

They could also say all transfers to an SEC school have to sit, but unless all the (major) conferences agree to do this, I can't see it happening. I seriously doubt SEC teams would put themselves at such a competitive disadvantage.

SEC could say that transfers within the conference have to sit.

They could also say all transfers to an SEC school have to sit, but unless all the (major) conferences agree to do this, I can't see it happening. I seriously doubt SEC teams would put themselves at such a competitive disadvantage.

It would be a horrible move on their part if they do that. Why go to the SEC and sit a yr when you can go to any other conference and play. The SEC has always been forward thinking and ahead of the curve, i cant imagine them fumbling this.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
It would be a horrible move on their part if they do that. Why go to the SEC and sit a yr when you can go to any other conference and play. The SEC has always been forward thinking and ahead of the curve, i cant imagine them fumbling this.
That's why I say they may not allow in-conference transfers immediate eligibility but will likely allow transfers from outside the conference to play. Unless the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 12, ACC, etc all agree to make everybody sit a year.

Reactions: fsu939913
Grass is always greener...

and in football...anybody worth anything on any crappy team will title shop before finishing...it’ll kill non-P5 teams...and Bama is probably headed for another decade full of titles...yawn...

I cant wait to see Alabama fall

and in football...anybody worth anything on any crappy team will title shop before finishing...it’ll kill non-P5 teams...and Bama is probably headed for another decade full of titles...yawn...

Considering they get most of the recruits they go after this could possibly hurt them just a little. Probably not enough to change things much but maybe giving a contending team just enough to beat them.

Coaching aside it seems Bama, Georgia and OSU have been above most teams recruiting wise in recent years.

I guess the danger with these top recruiting teams is that they are lacking maybe a little at the QB position that year and can now bring in a hired gun for that one season. Makes it easy to remedy the situation if there is no season to wait to be eligible.

Also I wonder about UF when it comes to the boosters doing their part as I dont get the sense with UF's makeup in recent years that our newer rich grads are worried about football a whole lot anymore. I would have a hard time even naming the living ones any longer. Teams like LSU and them definitely have the boosters more active than we do. Years ago there wasn't a lot of difference. One of the downsides to UF becoming such a hard school to get into in recent years.

Huge shift in CFB coming. The Supreme Court has ruled for the players and they are able to use their own likenesses to make money. Those teams that got all the best players due to cash outlays (hint Bama hint Georgia hint LSU) will no longer be able to corner the market on talent. Why would a player risk being found out and losing their eligibility when they can make money out in the open and without repercussion? This is the end of the Bama dominance. Saban will get out before it catches up to him so his successor can take the blame for the downfall.

But I bring this up because it will alter the way kids are recruited, and also reduce transfers. Now kids will be recruited not just with a plan to play, but also with a plan to use their likenesses for cash. The schools will absolutely have a system set up for the players to make money, and a kid thinking about transferring will have to consider that he will very likely be impacting himself negatively in the pocketbook by leaving, so will only go if there is a need or he is very unhappy. Would you go to a new job and make less money? Not without a really good reason. It'll be the same for the kids.

Huge shift in CFB coming. The Supreme Court has ruled for the players and they are able to use their own likenesses to make money. Those teams that got all the best players due to cash outlays (hint Bama hint Georgia hint LSU) will no longer be able to corner the market on talent. Why would a player risk being found out and losing their eligibility when they can make money out in the open and without repercussion? This is the end of the Bama dominance. Saban will get out before it catches up to him so his successor can take the blame for the downfall.

But I bring this up because it will alter the way kids are recruited, and also reduce transfers. Now kids will be recruited not just with a plan to play, but also with a plan to use their likenesses for cash. The schools will absolutely have a system set up for the players to make money, and a kid thinking about transferring will have to consider that he will very likely be impacting himself negatively in the pocketbook by leaving, so will only go if there is a need or he is veryYe unhappy. Would you go to a new job and make less money? Not without a really good reason. It'll be the same for the kids.
This will open up the floodgates for big boosters to legally pay players over what any real market value for their likeness is.

My guess is it will make it harder for us to get to the top again as I think teams like LSU and Bama have more of those types of boosters now. But maybe it doesn't change things too much since they were beating us with the bagman stuff in recent years anyway.

I cant wait to see Alabama fall
At the rate we’re going...

sv2xg-.gif

This will open up the floodgates for big boosters to legally pay players over what any real market value for their likeness is.

My guess is it will make it harder for us to get to the top again as I think teams like LSU and Bama have more of those types of boosters now. But maybe it doesn't change things too much since they were beating us with the bagman stuff in recent years anyway.
I'd like to see Gator boosters start (or take over) a charitable foundation like "Keep Alachua Beautiful", something like that. Then some other Gators would start (or own) a marketing company. Gators give money to the charity, the charity hires the marketing firm, the marketing firm hires players to do commercials and public appearances to promote the charity. Players get paid, boosters get a tax break.

More importantly, the marketing firm could have a standard minimum offer for all players, that escalates each year. Stars could, of course, get other gigs, but all players would get a piece of the pie, so it becomes a recruiting tool at inception and also a deterrent to transferring out, because the money goes up every year, which is an incentive to stick around.

I'd like to see Gator boosters start (or take over) a charitable foundation like "Keep Alachua Beautiful", something like that. Then some other Gators would start (or own) a marketing company. Gators give money to the charity, the charity hires the marketing firm, the marketing firm hires players to do commercials and public appearances to promote the charity. Players get paid, boosters get a tax break.

More importantly, the marketing firm could have a standard minimum offer for all players, that escalates each year. Stars could, of course, get other gigs, but all players would get a piece of the pie, so it becomes a recruiting tool at inception and also a deterrent to transferring out, because the money goes up every year, which is an incentive to stick around.
Lizard my friend, good on you, you have this all figured out, Get yourself a good business Manager and get a business plan in the works and you could be the man. Don't sit on it or you can bet somebody from Tuscaloosa , Baton Rouge or Athens will damn sure steal it from you. Keep me posted if you decide to develop it.......jim

Lizard my friend, good on you, you have this all figured out, Get yourself a good business Manager and get a business plan in the works and you could be the man. Don't sit on it or you can bet somebody from Tuscaloosa , Baton Rouge or Athens will damn sure steal it from you. Keep me posted if you decide to develop it.......jim
If I lived in Gainesville I might consider it. I do have experience with nonprofits. Marketing would have to be somebody else, that's not my forte.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT