ADVERTISEMENT

Is there a time limit on how many days/weeks these protests can go or can they block public

Why don't you try reading it?
Just remember to look for the part where it gives a relative few the right to infringe or take away the rights of others....we'll wait.
I have. The right to peaceful assembly doesn’t have a time limit. Do you need me to link it for you?

There should be a balance between the constitutional right to peacefully protest and the rights of other citizenry to get to their jobs or traverse areas that they need and have a right to get to. There should be reasonable allowances as to where protestors can be and blocking public streets may be done for a day or 2 or maybe 3 but there are risks to the general public if fire and ambulance vehicles are being hampered to get to emergency situations. I do think shutting down interstate highways is not right. Designated protest areas can be identified to allow protest but not hamper other citizens trying to get where they need to go. Jmo

Reactions: goldmom
Oh look, we agree. You still haven't answered about where it says you have the right to take away my rights...or destroy my property.
Uh, I never said it did. Which is why I said peaceful assembly. I’m fine with shooting the looters. They’re scum.

Uh, I never said it did. Which is why I said peaceful assembly. I’m fine with shooting the looters. They’re scum.
Backtrack Alert. You must have played centerfield. Mad skills on deep fly balls?

Backtrack Alert. You must have played centerfield. Mad skills on deep fly balls?
Au contraire. I’ve been totally consistent. Righties just aren’t used to people being able to judge right from wrong.

Au contraire. I’ve been totally consistent. Righties just aren’t used to people being able to judge right from wrong.
Since you seem to be all in on this POV, I see no point in attempting further discourse...

I seem to recall an implied right to free travel. It is certainly an interesting question that I don't have the answer to.
As with all constitutional rights, the courts have ruled that reasonable restrictions may apply for just cause.

I was thinking more along the lines is which right trumps which, the freedom to travel or the freedom to lawfully assemble?
I’m not sure freedom to travel ANYWHERE is a specific right. The govt closes roads, bridges, etc. all the time.

The freedom to assemble does not give you the right to block traffic. Reasonable accommodations can and should be made and I'm assuming interstates and major thoroughfares probably won't make the short list.

Reactions: DCandtheUTBand
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT