ADVERTISEMENT

Is Spurrier holding up the Chip hire???

Doesn't seem consistent with the way Spurrier pretty much stayed out of McElwain's way, despite the fact that McElwain demonstrated repeatedly and conclusively that he didn't know his ass from a hole in the ground.

I would think not. If we can get Kelly now we need to. We are going to end up screwing around and lose Corral if they don't hurry up and announce he is our new head coach.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Big gamble, no, actually pure stupidity to listen to SOS on this one

It's pure stupidity to listen to Multiple HoF Spurrier's opinon,,, over the Michi-Troll's village idiot opinions????

hysterical-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

Love Spurrier but I don't see how he is in any position to offer more than advice. Is a new AD who's ass is on line with a decision like this really going to let someone else do the thinking?

I have it on good word that Foley is the one that is against Kelly. Foley is still on the payroll and in fact is the AD emeritus (whatever that is) and is being paid close to $500,000 a year. Foley is pushing hard for Charlie Strong and is causing a real problem with bringing in Chip Kelly. Unfortunately, Foley has the ear of some large boosters.

I have it on good word that Foley is the one that is against Kelly. Foley is still on the payroll and in fact is the AD emeritus (whatever that is) and is being paid close to $500,000 a year. Foley is pushing hard for Charlie Strong and is causing a real problem with bringing in Chip Kelly. Unfortunately, Foley has the ear of some large boosters.
Is this real life? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foley SUCKS BIG TIME at hiring football coaches. He didn't hire Spurrier, in fact he was part of the reason Spurrier left. Machen had as much pull as Foley if not more in the Meyer hire. Foley hired Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we are gonna let his idiot ass have a say in the hiring this time around??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the tone, but this pisses me off big time, if true. How do big time booster not know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Charlie Strong is not the answer for big time program.

Is this real life? WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Foley SUCKS BIG TIME at hiring football coaches. He didn't hire Spurrier, in fact he was part of the reason Spurrier left. Machen had as much pull as Foley if not more in the Meyer hire. Foley hired Zook, Muschamp, and McElwain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And we are gonna let his idiot ass have a say in the hiring this time around??????!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the tone, but this pisses me off big time, if true. How do big time booster not know this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and Charlie Strong is not the answer for big time program.
If we hire Strong my spouse will have to pick me up from the ER. I love him as a recruiter and defensive coach but he was Texas worst coach, maybe ever.

Love Spurrier but I don't see how he is in any position to offer more than advice. Is a new AD who's ass is on line with a decision like this really going to let someone else do the thinking?
That might be the problem. He is still a lite wet behind the ears and has only been at UF for a tad over a year. It's a career make or break hire. When you have a legendary coach polishing up his big NC ring and all his SEC rings on one side of the table...on the other side you have probably the most legendary AD to ever grace the SEC point to the trophy case containing over 20 plus national championship trophy's...you have to at least acknowledge that. Yes I am fully aware of Foley's mishaps of hiring football coaches, spare that argument. I'm just saying...that if he didn't listen and something went wrong he could be afraid of the backfire.

Why would any big booster trust Foley's opinion on a football hire? He screwed up all 3 in which he had the power over the decision.

That might be the problem. He is still a lite wet behind the ears and has only been at UF for a tad over a year. It's a career make or break hire. When you have a legendary coach polishing up his big NC ring and all his SEC rings on one side of the table...on the other side you have probably the most legendary AD to ever grace the SEC point to the trophy case containing over 20 plus national championship trophy's...you have to at least acknowledge that. Yes I am fully aware of Foley's mishaps of hiring football coaches, spare that argument. I'm just saying...that if he didn't listen and something went wrong he could be afraid of the backfire.

It's his job either way. Basketball and baseball look set for the foreseeable future (knock on wood), so this hire is the whole deal. Wins and losses are all that's going to matter. Bring back the good times to Gainesville, and nobody's going to care what Foley, or even Spurrier think. If they don't start winning big, having Foley and Spurrier's stamp of approval isn't going to save him. I think there are real parallels between Kelly and Ben Howland. Howland's exit from UCLA was real nasty, and he was untouchable for a little while. But he was a big time coach and Stricklin grabbed him.

It's his job either way. Basketball and baseball look set for the foreseeable future (knock on wood), so this hire is the whole deal. Wins and losses are all that's going to matter. Bring back the good times to Gainesville, and nobody's going to care what Foley, or even Spurrier think. If they don't start winning big, having Foley and Spurrier's stamp of approval isn't going to save him. I think there are real parallels between Kelly and Ben Howland. Howland's exit from UCLA was real nasty, and he was untouchable for a little while. But he was a big time coach and Stricklin grabbed him.

If you hire Chip and for some reason he were to flop, very hard to criticize the pick... but if you pass on Chip, and your pick fails, then you are a goner.

If you hire Chip and for some reason he were to flop, very hard to criticize the pick... but if you pass on Chip, and your pick fails, then you are a goner.
Absolutely my take as well!

SS gets a pass if Kelly is hired and fails because the overwhelming majority of Gator Nation agrees with the choice.
but if SS passes on Kelly, after all that has been leaked and reported, he misses on Frost, and his choice fails...SS may as well wear a noose the rest of his time here.

There is way more to being a successful Head Football Coach at UF than just having a good offense at a LAC 12 school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Offgrid5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT