ADVERTISEMENT

Incredible throw by Franks...

PacoGator19

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2006
the more I watch it the more impressed I am with the pass. This wasn't some heave it up Hail Mary type of pass.

He throws it 65+ yards in the air with a defender barring down on him and he hits Cleveland right in stride. It really was a perfect throw.

That did show some nice arm strength - almost 70 yards in the air. I guess LDR would have had 10 yards to spare. :D

Franks can probably sling it close to 80 yards through the air in optimal game conditions.

Pretty throw, but it was a 'hail Mary' throw. o_O
Cleveland adjusted to the ball and he made a great catch.
Franks knows what it was too, and is not trying to make more of it that it was, so I credit him for that. At least it made up for his high throw tip drill Int.

He still needs to learn how to step up in the pocket instead of dropping straight back for a -14 yard sack when the OL and the RB both give an O'lay block attempt on a blitzing MLB,,, but he's learning,,, maybe? :cool:

I'm just happy as heck that he/they are not wasting any more time with LDR or blind-club-foot-no-arm Zaire. He was a total mistake from the very beginning imoho! Toney is way better than Zaire if they really wanted to do some wildcat.

(it's almost like some moneyed-fat-rat-alum is making the game day roster calls instead of the coaches,,, gawd-forbid!) :oops: --- IF it's really the coaches calls, then we're likely ph....... :confused:

Reactions: dakid_0812
It wasn't a "Hail Mary" throw bc of the formation and specifically-targeted WR.

Watch the replay... Cleveland had a step - called for the ball (waved his hands) - Franks located him and slung it into his path... hit him in stride as much as you can with a rainbow.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
the more I watch it the more impressed I am with the pass. This wasn't some heave it up Hail Mary type of pass.

He throws it 65+ yards in the air with a defender barring down on him and he hits Cleveland right in stride. It really was a perfect throw.
Agreed. And what made it even more impressive is that Cleveland was the secondary read. The primary receiver was designed to go about 20-30 yards and get out of bounds for a FG try.

Franks showed a lot of composure going to the secondary guy after avoiding the rush.

Agreed. And what made it even more impressive is that Cleveland was the secondary read. The primary receiver was designed to go about 20-30 yards and get out of bounds for a FG try.

Franks showed a lot of composure going to the secondary guy after avoiding the rush.
I'm still amazed he was able to throw it that far and that right on the money in a live game with a defender running right at him.

If you closely watch the play, you can see Franks actually acknowledges and gives a little waive/point with his left to Cleveland to keep going and lets him know it is coming...like playing in the backyard..pretty cool.

Last edited:
So, no excuses to not turn Franks loose now. We have seen he CAN so it, and actually make a read to his second option. We should see A LOT more downfield passing on Saturday

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Lol one throw does not make a qb. Everyone knew he could throw it a mile. I do think he will be good though.

sadgator heard on the radio that the final pass was the only one Franks completed for more than 10 yards the entire game. If true, that is like...wow.

Kinda misleading though. We attempted more than a few downfield and I remember at least two that were dropped. Franks has rare arm talent though, there shouldn't be any excuse for the dink and dunk BS. Unleash him.

Toney dropped what could have been a 25+ yard TD pass. It was a tough catch but still catchable.

Massey was wide open for what would have been a very long TD pass but Franks didn't see him. He went to his check-down.

I happen to remember when Cowboy Rodger the dodger invented the 'Hail Mary' play back in the early 70's. By the definition, it was a 'Hail Mary' play. Do your homework before wrongly claiming that it wasn't. :cool:

Last edited:
And Franks didn't throw the ball TO Cleveland, he threw the ball to the middle of the endzone and Cleveland made the adjustment to go get the ball. Not nearly a perfect pass, but a great adjustment and catch by the WR.

I do give Franks full credit for throwing the ball where the WR could go and get it, but I don't try to make it out to be more than it was. Each to his own opinions though... ;)

Oh please shut up, had Trask thrown it he'd be the greatest QB in the universe. And no, it wasn't a called hailmary both Franks and Mac have already confirmed that wasn't a called play. He saw Cleveland and threw the ball to him so you're wrong there too. Your sly attempts to discredit Franks ain't all that sly.

Reactions: sadgator
And Franks didn't throw the ball TO Cleveland, he threw the ball to the middle of the endzone and Cleveland made the adjustment to go get the ball. Not nearly a perfect pass, but a great adjustment and catch by the WR.

I do give Franks full credit for throwing the ball where the WR could go and get it, but I don't try to make it out to be more than it was. Each to his own opinions though... ;)
I would strongly disagree with that. Franks without a doubt threw the ball to Cleveland and was targeting him on that pass. Nobody is making Franks out to be a great QB because of this pass but let's not discredit the pass either. He was clearly targeting Cleveland.

Each to his own opinions though... ;)

I would strongly disagree with that. Franks without a doubt threw the ball to Cleveland and was targeting him on that pass. Nobody is making Franks out to be a great QB because of this pass but let's not discredit the pass either. He was clearly targeting Cleveland.

And you are certainly welcome to your own opinion on it.

Cleveland was not running a post. He was running down the sideline.
If you'll review the play and pay attention this time around, o_O you can see Cleveland look back and then break to the right to go get the ball.
A perfect pass would have been in the back left corner of the endzone.

Now, one more time, you are still welcome to have your own opinion about the play, it don't fret me none... :cool:

And you are certainly welcome to your own opinion on it.

Cleveland was not running a post. He was running down the sideline.
If you'll review the play and pay attention this time around, o_O you can see Cleveland look back and then break to the right to go get the ball.
A perfect pass would have been in the back left corner of the endzone.

Now, one more time, you are still welcome to have your own opinion about the play, it don't fret me none... :cool:
A perfect pass would have been to the back left corner of the end zone? LOL!! Do you know how long of pass that would have been to throw the ball from where Franks was at to the left corner of the endzone. I would say it is just about physically impossible for anybody to make that kind of throw.

If he wasn't targeting Cleveland than who was he throwing the ball too?

Also when Franks released the ball Cleveland was not running down the sidelines. He was already making his turn towards the middle of the field. He was almost at the hash marks.

Don't mind him. He doesn't have anything else to criticize Franks with for now so he's reaching.

When you rant like that Packo, you essentially go brain-dead it seems to me. :confused:

First, could you round up all of the others here that have been saying that Franks can throw the ball 80 yards and explain to them that YOU KNOW that he can't really, and 68-69 in the air is about all he really has... o_O

It would have been 5-8 yards further to the left edge of the endzone, still within his range,,, if the consensus is correct on his range.
IMO - He was throwing the ball where a receiver would have a chance to go and get it. I agree that the WR with the best chance to do so was TC.
Had the ball been under thrown, then Brandon Powell would have had a chance to make the catch instead.

It was not a set called play for a post to TC though.
And it was a 'Hail Mary' play by definition. Look it up. o_O

PS -- To whomever the ignored jerk-offs are. While I don't see your posts, I do see the fact that some of you are posting. You're boring and you're stupid, besides being ugly.

I really enjoy not seeing whatever mindless crap that you are slinging, so play to the rest of your little mindless crowd, like you dweebs usually do, cause I'm sure that they all love you, or at least the few that bother to post here do anyway... :cool:

PS -- To whomever the ignored jerk-offs are. While I don't see your posts, I do see the fact that some of you are posting. You're boring and you're stupid, besides being ugly.

I really enjoy not seeing whatever mindless crap that you are slinging, so play to the rest of your little mindless crowd, like you dweebs usually do, cause I'm sure that they all love you, or at least the few that bother to post here do anyway... :cool:

I see you crawled out of your Bunker? Its good see your alive and back to your delusional self instant:eek::p

Gators' Feleipe Franks threw same game-winning TD in practice in July

Gators QB Feleipe Franks’ game-winning touchdown against the Vols came after lots and lots of practice. And the redshirt freshman has the video to prove it. [....] Franks and Cleveland had practiced the play during the offseason and still work on it some days at the end of practice. A video posted on Franks’ Twitter account dated July 21 is eerily similar to Saturday’s amazing play in the Swamp. Only this time, during summer workouts, it was just the two Gators players on the field in the team’s indoor practice facility. [....]

More: <http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/os-gators-feleipe-franks-td-0920-story.html>.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT