ADVERTISEMENT

In this thread we recommend ONE hour of music to our friends.

CommieGator

Gator Great
Jan 6, 2006
And only ONE hour. At four minutes per, it's about fifteen songs.

Pick the fifteen that you'd like to share that pinch down to a single hour. No "All Along the Watchtower" nor "Stranglehold" type songs. Fifteen that can fit in an hour.

Here's mine- Mostly based on what iTunes was serving up...

• David Bowie- “Sound and Vision”
  • Ice T- “Lethal Weapon”
  • Public Enemy- “Power to the People”
  • The Toasters- “Talk is Cheap”
  • Dramarama- “Anything, Anything”
  • The Smiths- “Nowhere Fast”
  • Fugazi- “Floating Boy”
  • Elvis Costello- “I don’t want to (Go to Chelsea)”
  • Ramones- “Pet Cemetery”
  • Jawbreaker- “Seafoam Green”
  • Lunachicks- “Pretty Houses”
  • Sam & Dave- “Soul Man”
  • Hot Water Music- “State of Grace”
  • Redman- “Smoke Buddah”
  • Social Distortion- “She’s a Knockout”

sadgator is gonna accept your challenge....but sadgator is gonna do more than just give you random good songs...sadgator is gonna bring the funk...that’s right... sadgator is gonna give you an hour at your next tailgate that will get your ass and the ladies’ asses movin’ and groovin’...enjoy...(order suggested to be followed):

• Ain’t Nobody...Chaka Khan
• She’s a Bad Mama Jama...Carl Carton
• Let it Whip...Dazz Band
• You Dropped a Bomb on Me...Gap Band
• Jungle Love...Morris Day and the Time
• Brick House...The Commodores
• Sex Machine...James Brown
• I Wish...Stevie Wonder
• September...Earth Wind and Fire
• Funky Town...Lipps Inc
• Get Down on It...Kool and the Gang
• No Parking on the Dance Floor...Midnight Star
• Alphabet Street...Prince
• Genius of Love...Tom Tom Club
• Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough...Michael Jackson

...you’re welcome...

Reactions: maddog69
sadgator is gonna accept your challenge....but sadgator is gonna do more than just give you random good songs...sadgator is gonna bring the funk...that’s right... sadgator is gonna give you an hour at your next tailgate that will get your ass and the ladies’ asses movin’ and groovin’...enjoy...(order suggested to be followed):

• Ain’t Nobody...Chaka Khan
• She’s a Bad Mama Jama...Carl Carton
• Let it Whip...Dazz Band
• You Dropped a Bomb on Me...Gap Band
• Jungle Love...Morris Day and the Time
• Brick House...The Commodores
• Sex Machine...James Brown
• I Wish...Stevie Wonder
• September...Earth Wind and Fire
• Funky Town...Lipps Inc
• Get Down on It...Kool and the Gang
• No Parking on the Dance Floor...Midnight Star
• Alphabet Street...Prince
• Genius of Love...Tom Tom Club
• Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough...Michael Jackson

...you’re welcome...

Damn! I was missing the Tom Tom Club! Nice. Excellent Sad.

I'm puzzled by the lack of Ohio Players fifth studio (and IM humble O their best) "Skin Tight" album?

Debbie Deb (Look Out Weekend)? Midnight Starr (Freakazoid)? Maybe something similar?

Nevertheless.. I like the cut of your jib. Adding to my shuffle tonight!

Last edited:
Reactions: sadgator
Damn! I was missing the Tom Tom Club!
If you like Tom Tom Club, you can also sub Genius of Love with Fantasy by Mariah Carey. sadgator is not a huge Mariah fan, but he is a connoisseur of quality sampling...and Fantasy is one of the purest and well-done sample covers sadgator has ever heard. It is admittedly 100x gayer than the original, but Mariah’s bird-like vocals make the track even more danceable than the original. and the chicks dig it, which is all that matters. You’ll be unable to refrain from tappin’ your toes when you hear her voice, and she makes a “Mmmmm” sound before the word “Baby” in the second refrain of lyrics she sings that is worth listening to just for that. It is a pure raw sound that only a hot chick in her prime can make ...

If you like Tom Tom Club, you can also sub Genius of Love with Fantasy by Mariah Carey. sadgator is not a huge Mariah fan, but he is a connoisseur of quality sampling...and Fantasy is one of the purest and well-done sample covers sadgator has ever heard. It is admittedly 100x gayer than the original, but Mariah’s bird-like vocals make the track even more danceable than the original. and the chicks dig it, which is all that matters. You’ll be unable to refrain from tappin’ your toes when you hear her voice, and she makes a “Mmmmm” sound before the word “Baby” in the second refrain of lyrics she sings that is worth listening to just for that. It is a pure raw sound that only a hot chick in her prime can make ...

See, this is the kind of thread I can really get into...

Truth be told, I never really appreciated Mariah beyond her GLORIOUS rack, but I see where you're coming from here. It's a ghey ghey place, exactly explained in your codicil- No homo- and there's nothing wrong with that... I'm just not going to get down with MC apart from her magnificent front-parts. Her thing... Not really my cup of tea however accomplished the craftsmanship...

I'm curious, Sad- You have any thoughts on "post" new wave? Maybe like Jesus and Mary Chain, the Flaming Lips, Killing Joke, Nick Cave and perhaps even Ween if we're making a stretch into the days when I was in college? I mean there's kind of a bleed-over into post-punk and ska happening around the same time, but it seems like there were divergent paths...

Like one direction kind of went the the Echo and the Bunnymen, Toad the Wet Sprocket and Love and Rockets direction- and maybe even the Cure and Smiths (perhaps an over simplification for the latter two)- and then there was the other direction, the one I chose that went the whole Pixies and Sonic Youth route.

Not to exclude the fantastic punk music that came out the entire time..

Well, you are clearly much more well-versed in the elements of the new wave moment than sadgator...

sadgator’s appreciation for the genre’ arose, in part, from his experiences attending Tuesday “Old Wave” nights at Florida Theatre (and Netherworld at or around the same time). Most of that stuff was your basic mainstream Old Wave stuff...the Smiths, the Clash, Ministry, Depeche Mode,the Fixx...the “Come on Eileen” and standard type of jams, so that is sadgator’s primary frame of reference for new wave.

sadgator dated a funky chick who was into some pretty obscure stuff that sadgator would know by mainly sound, but not necessarily by name...some way off beat Yello, Japan, and Malcolm Mclaren come to mind.

But for sadgator’s money, the best old punk/new wave crossover stuff was some of the early Police tracks. Everybody knows the standard singles...but those early off-line B-side type old ones are the best...”Fall Out” and “Dead End Job” are worth hunting down. So is the version of I burn for you on the Brimstone and Treacle soundtrack...the drum sequence at the end is insane. They were really, just so tight in their prime. The sound and innovation is second to none. They are one of sadgator’s favorite groups to this day. sadgator will go to his grave a little bummed that he never got to see them live.

sadgator has a wide range of musical tastes and interests ranging from hard core gangsta rap to country. If it is good quality and moving...sadgator will listen to it.

That said, sadgator will always equate funk and disco with Gainesville. Full Circle (after Netherworld closed) did a Friday night of disco and funk. It was like going to religious services for sadgator and his friends. We attended every single week and spent countless hours in that place. The third floor was a simple wooden firebox, but it was so much fun. When it was packed, you could stand on the second floor balcony and watch the third floor wood bounce up and down from all the people dancing. The chicks loved it, and it was a truly magical time in sadgator’s life. Every time sadgator hears those songs, it brings him back!

Sad, I think you and I might be contemporaries- Have you ever been shaken back into a state of consciousness by a waitress at Skeeters after putting your head down, just for a second? I saw so much depravity there at three in the morning I could fill a book...

We've probably occupied the same space at the same time which is so weird... I'm going to guess you're just a smidge older than I am.. We're old dudes now.

I was going around with this chick that drug me to "old wave" night at Netherworld my freshman year over and over again, and I dug it and we went there all the time, so I know exactly what you're talking about.. Meanwhile all the frat dudes were headed to TJ Morrissey's. This was 1991 or so..

Just before the Netherworld switched to FC, I made a hard change in direction and got back to my punk roots, and started going to the Hardback to see amazing local punk like Hot Water Music (of course- the best band to every emerge from the 'Ville) and also the likes of Wordsworth, Spoke, Radon, Paste eater (my pal Ken played drums), the Bicycle Thieves.. There were also some shitty bands, like "Jam Sandwich" and I saw Sister Hazel play in some house party kitchen more than once. Before I moved to Gainesville, I did have a Roach Motel record that I loved.

I checked out most of the No Idea bands that played locally, and those national bands that toured around in the wake of the "Nirvana" co-opting of punk music for the masses around the country... and there were some amazing ones.

In addition to the amazing punk that was sprouting in Gainesville at the time, I saw some really incredible shows:

The Meat Puppets played the Orange and Brew. Yep. That was an interesting story.

I saw L7, Helmet and Love Battery on a single bill at the Hardback. I accidentally poured most of a tallboy of King Cobra over some girl's head as I was walking out of the venue that time.. A regret.

Fugazi at the Florida Theatre.

Not to mention the Gainesville Music Harvest that started going on around the same time..

Also, those Police songs are awesome!

Last edited:
Sad, I think you and I might be contemporaries- Have you ever been shaken back into a state of consciousness by a waitress at Skeeters after putting your head down, just for a second? I saw so much depravity there at three in the morning I could fill a book...

We've probably occupied the same space at the same time which is so weird... I'm going to guess you're just a smidge older than I am.. We're old dudes now.

I was going around with this chick that drug me to "old wave" night at Netherworld my freshman year over and over again, and I dug it and we went there all the time, so I know exactly what you're talking about.. Meanwhile all the frat dudes were headed to TJ Morrissey's. This was 1991 or so..

Just before the Netherworld switched to FC, I made a hard change in direction and got back to my punk roots, and started going to the Hardback to see amazing local punk like Hot Water Music (of course- the best band to every emerge from the 'Ville) and also the likes of Wordsworth, Spoke, Radon, Paste eater (my pal Ken played drums), the Bicycle Thieves.. There were also some shitty bands, like "Jam Sandwich" and I saw Sister Hazel play in some house party kitchen more than once. Before I moved to Gainesville, I did have a Roach Motel record that I loved.

I checked out most of the No Idea bands that played locally, and those national bands that toured around in the wake of the "Nirvana" co-opting of punk music for the masses around the country... and there were some amazing ones.

In addition to the amazing punk that was sprouting in Gainesville at the time, I saw some really incredible shows:

The Meat Puppets played the Orange and Brew. Yep. That was an interesting story.

I saw L7, Helmet and Love Battery on a single bill at the Hardback. I accidentally poured most of a tallboy of King Cobra over some girl's head as I was walking out of the venue that time.. A regret.

Fugazi at the Florida Theatre.

Not to mention the Gainesville Music Harvest that started going on around the same time..

Also, those Police songs are awesome!
sadgator was at UF from ‘88 to ‘93 (milked 5 years out of it). It is cool that you remember Netherworld and Full Circle. sadgator hasn’t been by that old place in ages, but it was the scene of some true moments of joy in his life.
When the third floor dance floor was packed, that place was magic.

As to the local bands, sadgator recognizes some of the bands you named. Saw a lot of bands at the bandshell during that time as well. B52’s, Paul Shaffer, and the Reggae Sunsplashes were great.

sadgator saw the Indigo Girls at the O&B. It wasn’t really sadgator’s thing, but we all went to check out the hot “alternative lifestyle” chicks.

One of sadgator’s girlfriends worked at the O&B. They had kick ass nachos.

I knew it. Class of '95 here. Hempfest? I was there for a 'doobie-toss' or two before that went away...

What a great time to be alive, and attending the greatest University in the world.

I have tales to tell about beating the clock at the 'mullet, whippets in the student ghetto (when it really was one) pizza at Tony & Pats, beers between classes my senior year at the salty dog, and all of that amazing G'ville goodness from that era.. At this point I'm like 80% sure we've crossed paths.

ITT: Commie posts a music thread and ends up being BFFs with Sadgator. Hahaha!

Reactions: sadgator
sadgator loved, loved, loved the Mullet. The other bars were all fun and games, but the Mullet was all business. Serious work with the opposite sex was done in the Mullet, deals were closed, fate was tempted, and the paths of lives were changed in the Mullet.

What about Gator Stompin’? Do they still do that? One of the best nights ever!

Hey Commie I almost have a running bike again.

Cool man! Great news.. I've been working out of town a lot for the last six months, so I haven't done a ton of riding, but I got in three good hours today- Brutally hot and I think I have a sunburn now, but it was nice to be in the wind. Good luck finishing up your project!

Reactions: EvilWayz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT