ADVERTISEMENT

In Memoriam...MJWilliamson...

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
As a regular poster on this Board for over 10 years, MJ certainly deserves his own thread.

sadgator did not personally know MJ, but apparently others here did. Although the regulars on this Board aren’t necessarily “friends,” we do have a common bond and we share a great deal of personal interaction here. It is always disconcerting when someone simply disappears. sadgator had been wondering what happened to him.

sadgator is sure that many of us would love to hear more about MJ’s life and family from those that knew him if they care to share.

RIP MJ.

MJ and I got into it quite a bit over hoops. Typically, it would get personal very quickly, with both of us disparaging the other's intelligence, ability to reason, etc... He brought a lot to this board. I respected him a lot because, from what I could tell, he was an older guy, who had made it through life pretty successfully and was able to enjoy his kick ass patio and his hunting trips.

MJ and I got into it quite a bit over hoops. Typically, it would get personal very quickly, with both of us disparaging the other's intelligence, ability to reason, etc... He brought a lot to this board. I respected him a lot because, from what I could tell, he was an older guy, who had made it through life pretty successfully and was able to enjoy his kick ass patio and his hunting trips.
He definitely had one helluva back porch!

RIP.

It's a shame he had to endure McElwain as his last season to watch. Another reason to hate that shark humping imposter.

It looks like he was hitting the boards right up until he passed. I noticed I wasn't seeing posts from him but figured it was because it was a slow time of the year.

For those wondering, he had a massive heart attack at his home on April 11th.

He was 62.
This is for you, MJ!

1996banner.jpg

UF00017774.jpg

He was 62.
Wow. 4 years younger than me. We can never take life for granted and must appreciate each day as a special gift. I always enjoyed his posts and agreed with his observations more often than not. But even when disagreeing with people, he explained his positions and didn't let things get snarky. Never met the guy, but liked him through his words.

As a regular poster on this Board for over 10 years, MJ certainly deserves his own thread.

sadgator did not personally know MJ, but apparently others here did. Although the regulars on this Board aren’t necessarily “friends,” we do have a common bond and we share a great deal of personal interaction here. It is always disconcerting when someone simply disappears. sadgator had been wondering what happened to him.

sadgator is sure that many of us would love to hear more about MJ’s life and family from those that knew him if they care to share.

RIP MJ.
RIP

I need to make one correction (not that it really matters), but he was 64, not 62. Same age as my dad, they were at UF at the same time.

Regardless, Mike was a great guy. As oozie mentioned, he was always very inviting to us total strangers that he only knew through here, but would warmly offer the invitation to come join him for bourbon and cigars.

I'd like to say this as well. About the same time that MJ passed, a good friend of mine who was 65 also died suddenly of a heart attack. He and I used to sit around and drink scotch and smoke cigars (apparently that's what you do when you reach a certain age and level of success) and he once told me "you have to make sure that you take advantage of the opportunities you get to spend with people, no matter if they're 5 minutes down the road or 5 hours. If you'll let it, excuses about work, time and family will always hold you back, until one day there's no more opportunities."

It had been 5 months since I'd seen Hollis before he passed, and the week before, he called me up wanting to go to our favorite cigar bar in Chattanooga. I, of course, was too busy and let it go to voicemail, and told him I didn't honk I'd be able to, I was too busy with the project I had going on....maybe next time....

MJ and I had talked for a few years about meeting up since Atlanta is only 2 hours away and I always put it off, planning on going out there for a game this season....

My point is, don't take anyone for granted.

Mike will be missed, and one of the old guard of this board has left us. He was a lucky man though, he retired early, enjoyed life he way he wanted to, had a big, very close, very loving family, and even managed to impact the lives of dozens of total strangers on an internet message board talking about, of all things, college sports.

And of course, if he could, he'd probably make a wisecrack right now about all of us talking about him.

He was 62.

Sorry to hear that. My sincere condolences for his family.

A few year's back, we had a great Dawg poster who was a regular on our political board. His son had been killed in a farm accident at age 21. A hardship no parent should have to suffer.

He died of esophageal cancer less than a month after it was diagnosed. Some of us still mourn his passing.

This is really having an effect on me...someone I never met yet I feel the loss.
I’m 55, wife and two kids, working...you know, the day to day stuff. I’ll get to this or that some day. So many days taken for granted...
I will toast you tonight MJ with some bourbon (I don’t have any cigars)
Let’s meet sometime after we’re both gone and watch some football from the heavenly seats...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT