ADVERTISEMENT

If you 'could' choose your head coach...Who would it be? Why?

Who would you want if you had your pick of the litter?

• Nick Saban

• Urban Meyer

• Jimbo Fisher

• Dabo Swinney

• Kirby Smart

• Scott Frost

• Chip Kelly

• other

• Dan Mullen

Results are only viewable after voting.

kellylexy

Green Machine
Feb 4, 2004
One vote one choice. If you pick 'other' then please include a text as to who and why you chose that candidate.

Note: This is a hypothetical question for those literal folks out there...

One vote one choice. If you pick 'other' then please include a text as to who and why you chose that candidate.

Note: This is a hypothetical question for those literal folks out there...

But u cant just choose ur coach

Saban. Do I really need to explain why?
Not sure it is as obvious as people like you make it out.

Saban has had a tremendous amount of luck. Won two national championships without winning his own division of the SEC.

Had Colt McCoy get injured when bama was playing Texas in the national championship game. Texas' 2nd string quarterback played most of the game

I've always liked Dabo...runs a great offense, gets great players and seems to really develop them. Saban is obviously the best coach out of all of them but at this point I just want to see him lose. I'm hoping that Mullen can be what we want him to be but I'm going to optimistically wait.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
While Saban is the best coach in the modern era, it is also about fit. Alabama basically has a billionaire that funds the program so that give Saban everything he could ask. Which is basically the reason Jimbo ran to TAMU. Put Saban at FSU or UF and I do not think the fit would have been as great.

Mullen *****
Frost **** I guess, if they were going to give a relative newbee a shot at it.
Bring back 'Spurrier & Son' ******, IF neither of the above was available...

Reasons should be obvious to any Gator fan. :cool:
Other teams fan's opinions don't matter much to me. :p

Saban and its not even close. Saban is without a doubt best coach in modern history and I would even say of all time. He won a title at LSU prior to putting Alabama back on top. So he has won titles at two different schools. Reason I would say best of all time is that I think it’s harder to win now then 20 to 30 years ago. Due to scholarship restrictions and so on, there is more parity in the college football landscape then in the past.

The only reason I might not choose Saban is because he is probably going to retire sooner then later. But no doubt if he was at FSU or UF for five years there would be at least one title when he left.

Couple things. I did an edit when I first did the poll and accidentally removed Mullen. My bad. He is back up there for an option. Remember, it is off season time so this is for entertainment purposes only.

So far, there is a four way tie at 17.6% for Saban, Fisher, Swinney, and Smart. There are a couple votes for 'other' so we can assume those were for Mullen. He is at 11.8%.

I realize that I am in the minority here, I like Meyer. I know the way he left us wasn't ideal, but when he was fully invested we were at our best ever. The man can flat out recruit and win.

After Spurrier left , there were questions of if we could win at that level again. By that level I mean National Titles. I became a fan in the late 90's, before Spurrier I realize we weren't bad, but we were known more for Gatorade than National Titles.

Spurrier elevated us to playing for and eventually winning our first National Championship.

After Spurrier left the Zooker took over and we were never serious National threats again. He could recruit sure, but Miami owned the state.

Enter Urban Meyer, the hot young coach with an innovative mind. He took Utah to prominence. Could he do what Spurrier did?

Two National Championships and we got that answer. The SEC wasn't the dominant league it is today. Back in '06 we won our league, but pundits were sure Ohio State and Michigan were still the best. Urban lobbyed hard and we got our spot. Nothing sweeter than making that dominant BIG line and Heisman winner look bad. Buckeye tears.

We didn't have a chance, they said. Could we compete with the mighty Buckeyes?

My point is Spurrier made Florida football nationally relevant. Urban proved we weren't a one man show.

Give me the Urban Meyer heading into that BCS title game. Give me the Urban Meyer heading into the initial playoff run with Ohio State with a backup QB, going up against Saban. Give me that Urban Meyer, that guy with a chip on his shoulder. Not that beaten down shell we got after our second Title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT