ADVERTISEMENT

If White matches Donovan the next 3 years?

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
First Espn is saying White is up for
The Arizona job but, if he matches Billy D’s results the next 3 years we’ll
LOSE ROUND 2,
LOSE ROUND 1 and
LOSE ROUND 2 the next 4 years before we win 2 N.C.’s!

Start your bitching now guys or maybe he’ll get Arizona and our transfers will enter the portal and you’ll Noah as head coach as he’s free these days.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhavill
LOSE ROUND 2,
LOSE ROUND 1 and

Start your bitching now guys or maybe he’ll get Arizona and our transfers will enter the portal and you’ll Noah as head coach as he’s free these days.
I don’t think coach White is going to Arizona. He’s working too hard on getting our roster to full strength. This may disappoint many but who is out there that would come here?

Let's just hope they don't read this board or the other board that has countless Mike White critics, to put it nicely.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I don’t think coach White is going to Arizona. He’s working too hard on getting our roster to full strength. This may disappoint many but who is out there that would come here?

If we were a top 15 program and just playing bad at the tourney I'd agree...but the truth is he's been here 7 years and we're a middle of the pack SEC team. Lots of coaches can come here and do that.

LOSE ROUND 2,
LOSE ROUND 1 and

I think AZ hiring White is about as likely as Graham being hired as an NFL DC which was floated before he got a raise.

Reactions: gatordad3
Arizona isn’t hiring White. What about the first 6 years between White and Donovan? Do those years just get thrown out?

Obviously in Billy’s first 6 years we got to a National Title game and finished ranked in the top 25 4 of those 6 years. I think we won the SEC or SEC tourney once or twice as well.

Arizona isn’t hiring White. What about the first 6 years between White and Donovan? Do those years just get thrown out?

Obviously in Billy’s first 6 years we got to a National Title game and finished ranked in the top 25 4 of those 6 years. I think we won the SEC or SEC tourney once or twice as well.
^^
Those 2 things are just a small part for me - it's more intangible so maybe I need to think it through more. But in essence, even if all things were equal - Donovan's teams had more consistently good outings week in and out. I don't remember a ton of his teams getting routed by inferior opponents. Sure we'd drop some of those but the intensity of Billy's teams was much higher - at least that's how I remember it.

But putting comparisons aside - White's teams are just soft. Win 2 or 3 games and then lay down...there's not much of a team identity except for wild swings up and down. He's a good coach. He doesn't seem to keep the team focused over the long haul.

That's my take anyhow.

Billy won regular season SEC titles in years 4, 5, 6, 11, 17 & 18. He won the SEC tournament titles in years 9, 10, 11 & 18. He was in the Sweet 16 in years 3, 4, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17 & 18, Elite 8 in years 4, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17 & 18, Final 4 in years 4, 10, 11 & 18, national runner-up in year 4, national champion in years 10 & 11. He won 71.5% of his games at Florida, 65% of his SEC games. Mike White has won nothing in his first 6 years at Florida.

Not sure why people are still trying to compare the two. Billy took over a program with only spots of success. Mike took over a program that for the previous 19 years spent a great deal of time in the top 15. Important year for White. Let's see what he can get done with an all transfer lineup.

Granth was offered Bengals DC spot the year before last.

I never believed that story that was reported myself but its possible I guess. He would have took it I believe if that was a true done deal offer just waiting for his signature. Seen too many of those turned down the job offers floated in the media when coaches were seeking raises where they were at.

I never believed that story that was reported myself but its possible I guess. He would have took it I believe if that was a true done deal offer just waiting for his signature. Seen too many of those turned down the job offers floated in the media when coaches were seeking raises where they were at.

Do you believe ESPN?

Do you believe ESPN?
Not necessarily when it comes to these stories. The agents are slick at getting stories out that someone is basically a done deal when they are really just under strong consideration. And my guess is White is not under any real consideration by AZ right now besides his name being on a list to check out.

UF will never get another Billy D. or a team to come close to matches those results again, we were lucky and that Genie has left the bottle and won`t return.

Reactions: rhavill
UF will never get another Billy D. or a team to come close to matches those results again, we were lucky and that Genie has left the bottle and won`t return.

Maybe true especially something like that 06/07 situation since many kids don't remain in school long but with a good competent coach we can be back on the road to winning a conference and making a Final Four. In some ways this new transfer craze weakens the blue blood teams like UNC and KY in addition to losing the very top recruits to the G league. Get some proven non-NBA draft pick players there and if they mesh you are a legit contender. White despite the transfers out has done a good job with that on paper at least. Just don't trust his game coaching to get us where we need to be.

Reactions: 2blades
Not necessarily when it comes to these stories. The agents are slick at getting stories out that someone is basically a done deal when they are really just under strong consideration. And my guess is White is not under any real consideration by AZ right now besides his name being on a list to check out.
You’re wrong about Grantham. Plain and simple. How many more sources would you like me to send you before you are willing to concede? It’s one thing to reasonably argue a point, it’s foolish to deny the obvious truth.

Also, MW is the kind of coach AZ is looking for. He does things by the book and right now they really need that. He also now has experience on the big stage. From MWs perspective, Arizona is a basketball school where he would no longer be second fiddle. Also, expectations will be lower for a while with what they have been through.

Gator Fever ,you pretty dead on and about White ,IMO besides his game management, I don`t think he can coach up his players and get the talent level they supposedly have out of them and if I`m even close to being right we need a new coach but a big problem with that is who in the hell could we get, don`t think we could get a good proven coach to even consider coming into UF.

Also, MW is the kind of coach AZ is looking for. He does things by the book and right now they really need that. He also now has experience on the big stage. From MWs perspective, Arizona is a basketball school where he would no longer be second fiddle. Also, expectations will be lower for a while with what they have been through.
Arizona hoops is no different than TexAss football when it comes to winning. TexAss hired Charlie Strong to clean up the program and he did. I don't need to explain the rest.
Expectations will be lower? Tell that to their previous football coach, Kevin Sumlin, who was coaching football at a school that is "second fiddle" to basketball.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
I don’t think we will ever have another Billy D. He’s one of a kind and one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time. However, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect results somewhere in the middle of a Billy D vs Mike White.

1) The Florida program Billy D took over was a very different program than the one Mike White took over. Billy D made Florida a national brand name in basketball.

2) Billy D had been to the Sweet 16 and the National Championship Game by this point at Florida.

3) Billy D had won 2 SEC regular season titles. In its history before Billy, Florida had won one.

4) Finished the season in the top 25 four times, including a top 10 finish.

Mike White is far from emulating Billy D’s career at this point.

lol I bet AZ will hire that assistant at Gonzaga before really considering White. The people that pay attention know he blows games like crazy.

Want to take that bet? If they don't hire an unproven assistant head coach we can call it a no bet.

I don’t think we will ever have another Billy D. He’s one of a kind and one of the greatest college basketball coaches of all time. However, I don’t think it is unreasonable to expect results somewhere in the middle of a Billy D vs Mike White.

Agreed - thing is I don't expect us to get back to Billy D levels of success. IMO the expectation should be a top 15 program year in/out, have a tough team that makes the occasional run.

Agreed - thing is I don't expect us to get back to Billy D levels of success. IMO the expectation should be a top 15 program year in/out, have a tough team that makes the occasional run.
Agreed. But we also should expect to win an SEC championship every few years and be in contention nearly every year like we are in virtually every other sport on campus except women's basketball.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
lol I bet AZ will hire that assistant at Gonzaga before really considering White. The people that pay attention know he blows games like crazy.

Want to take that bet? If they don't hire an unproven assistant head coach we can call it a no bet.
White already told them he wasn’t interested. Stoudamire looks to be a candidate that was also interviewed. I’m willing to bet if I get the field and you get the Gonzaga coach.

UF job is better than Arizona job. White isn’t going there even if they wanted him.

White already told them he wasn’t interested. Stoudamire looks to be a candidate that was also interviewed. I’m willing to bet if I get the field and you get the Gonzaga coach.

I don't believe it myself as I think White is a little tired of the criticism and they probably were never going to hire him and he knew it. Not taking a bet against the field - just saying I think they would hire that unproven assistant over White if that was the 2 choices. Most of these people that talk about basketball at the blue blood schools like KY and them would have a fit if White was hired as a replacement at their schools. They may not follow him as closely as we do but know he loves to blow leads in big games with his coaching decisions.

Reactions: gatordad3
Ever since the shot clock was introduced the tactic of slowing the game and milking the clock almost always backfires. You can’t kill more than 25 seconds and wind up with a bad shot. So can we please not do that next year? Let’s just run the offense till the end and if the players are tired then they need better conditioning.

1) The Florida program Billy D took over was a very different program than the one Mike White took over. Billy D made Florida a national brand name in basketball.

2) Billy D had been to the Sweet 16 and the National Championship Game by this point at Florida.

3) Billy D had won 2 SEC regular season titles. In its history before Billy, Florida had won one.

4) Finished the season in the top 25 four times, including a top 10 finish.

Mike White is far from emulating Billy D’s career at this point.
And Gator Basketball pre Donovan was what? Exactly. How many schools have even won a N.C. in B.B. or Football? We had how many Pre SOS? Pre. Billy D.? You kids are spoiled. Anyone remember 0-10-1 in 79? I do.

Reactions: 2blades
And Gator Basketball pre Donovan was what? Exactly. How many schools have even won a N.C. in B.B. or Football? We had how many Pre SOS? Pre. Billy D.? You kids are spoiled. Anyone remember 0-10-1 in 79? I do.

How are we spoiled? Pell turned that around big time after that initial season.

Basketball showed what was possible in Sloan's last years and in football it was the earlier 80s we saw what was possible with that. It showed at least conference champion/national title contending teams were possible going forward.

Someone here pointed out Kruger's comments when he left and then Donovan comes in and does what he did after Kruger's Final Four.

The only things worse than 0-10-1 was having MusDump and Butters as coaches. The 2013 4-8 team was far worse than the 1979 winless team.

The only things worse than 0-10-1 was having MusDump and Butters as coaches. The 2013 4-8 team was far worse than the 1979 winless team.
I was at every home game and two away games from that winless season. You actually improved as a fan that year because you knew the tragedy was coming to an end.

I don't know about the talent, but the 2013 season was the worst ever by a UF squad ... and I mean EVER. We were No. 1 in consecutive years in a bowl (broken in '13); we hadn't had a losing season since the 0-10-1 season (broken in '13); we lost to scUM, F$Ucks, LSU, Jawja, S. Carolina ... AANNNNDDD ... Vandy (in the Swamp) and GEORGIA SOUTHERN (in the Swamp)!!!!!!!! Moosedump should have been fired ON THE FIELD at the end of the Ga. S. game, but he got ANOTHER YEAR!

MW needs a pretty big backhoe to dig deeper in the mire than Moosedump did in '13. Sharkboy was a much bigger a$$clown than Moosedump in all ways except screwing UF in a single season.

I don't think he was offered. He was supposed to be under consideration. I wonder now if he or his agent had a buddy with the Bengals who agreed to keep his name floating out there until he got a better contract from UF. We were certainly played for suckers.

I don't think he was offered. He was supposed to be under consideration. I wonder now if he or his agent had a buddy with the Bengals who agreed to keep his name floating out there until he got a better contract from UF. We were certainly played for suckers.

They had articles acting like it was his if he wanted it but I didn't believe it myself. I think he was just one of the final ones to meet with them and be on the final choice list. Agents will spin mess like that like you say to get to the reporters to get raises if the person is actually meeting the team. Probably never know for sure.

Billy won regular season SEC titles in years 4, 5, 6, 11, 17 & 18. He won the SEC tournament titles in years 9, 10, 11 & 18. He was in the Sweet 16 in years 3, 4, 9, 10, 15, 16, 17 & 18, Elite 8 in years 4, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17 & 18, Final 4 in years 4, 10, 11 & 18, national runner-up in year 4, national champion in years 10 & 11. He won 71.5% of his games at Florida, 65% of his SEC games. Mike White has won nothing in his first 6 years at Florida.
Ocala’s always got the receipts. The Billy Donovan comparisons are insane. The results are not comparable other than Billy lost a few years early in the tourney.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT