ADVERTISEMENT

If this is true, then some heads need to roll.

Homosassie Gator

Baby Gator
Feb 7, 2018
If what is said in the link is true about why we lost out on Scott Frost, then Scott Strickland needs to be fired yesterday as AD. He blew it with Chip Kelly and it sounds like he blew it with Frost. No telling who else he messed up with and the real question is was it done intentionally to get his pick of his buddy Dan Mullen. We are Gator Nation and this is unacceptable. We get who we want, when we want and should have our pick of top candidates. We allowed CDM to bring his staff in, which now includes an OL coach, who can't recruit and is losing OL prospects left and right. But, one of our top HC choices wasn't allowed to bring his staff. Beyond ridiculous!!!!

https://www.bradenton.com/sports/article213095534.html

Reactions: BucaNole
I doubt that is true. That article is not exactly a deep dive. Everything is attributed to the NU tight end coach. Why would they allow Mullen to bring his staff but not Frost?

Reactions: 96FSU
For one Mullen didn’t bring his entire staff from Miss St. For two Mullen’s staff has much much more SEC experience than Scott Frost’s staff. Nobody brings their entire staff with them. Urban Meyer didn’t bring his entire staff from Utah to UF. Stricklin absolutely did the right thing. I like Frost a lot but certainly wouldn’t want his entire staff from UCF. No way.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Frost was never going to come here but he might not find it easy to get the top recruits there. That passed Nebraska about 15 years ago.

It's pretty much unheard of for a coach to bring his entire staff from one job to another.

It is BUT if you’re offering the job to a coach you don’t micromanage who he wants on his staff. Let him sink or swim with who he wants. That staff is a large part of why you’re offering that coach the job to begin with no?

It is BUT if you’re offering the job to a coach you don’t micromanage who he wants on his staff. Let him sink or swim with who he wants. That staff is a large part of why you’re offering that coach the job to begin with no?

Yeah....but when you're offered all the resources you want, don't you go out and hire the best you can get?

This reeks of too much loyalty to your staff. This is how you end up with a bad DC that can't handle the SEC and the HC, being buddies with him and loyal, refuses to get rid of him.

We saw it with Mac and Nuss, Meyer and Daz, the Noles have seen it before. It's bad news.

If the head coach isn’t picking his staff, who is? He’s going to get the OC and DC he wants, so what the AD is going to pick the TE and linebackers coaches? I can understand if the AD doesn’t want to lay out for a million dollar coordinator or something, but otherwise why bring in someone to run your program and dick around with his staff?

But I don’t think this is really an issue. I’m sure both Mullen and Frost were offered autonomy over their staff within a budget.

Reactions: oozie7
Yeah....but when you're offered all the resources you want, don't you go out and hire the best you can get?

This reeks of too much loyalty to your staff. This is how you end up with a bad DC that can't handle the SEC and the HC, being buddies with him and loyal, refuses to get rid of him.

We saw it with Mac and Nuss, Meyer and Daz, the Noles have seen it before. It's bad news.

No I agree I wouldn’t have wanted his entire staff here either, I’m just talking strictly hiring principles. Just like I didn’t want Nuss at UF from jump BUT that was Mac’s call to make. Let them hire who they want and if they don’t perform fire em if you feel like. I don’t think AD’s should be telling coaches who to have on their staff upfront, seems like bad business. And that’s gonna be a hard sell to a coach like Frost who was undefeated with his staff. Who really knows what happened here though.

If the head coach isn’t picking his staff, who is? He’s going to get the OC and DC he wants, so what the AD is going to pick the TE and linebackers coaches? I can understand if the AD doesn’t want to lay out for a million dollar coordinator or something, but otherwise why bring in someone to run your program and dick around with his staff?

But I don’t think this is really an issue. I’m sure both Mullen and Frost were offered autonomy over their staff within a budget.

Yea that was what I was getting at. Coaches are naturally arrogant too any coach upfront who would let an AD tell him who he can and can’t have is likely a pushover. The AD should just set the budget and get out of the way.

I'm not disagreeing, but if I were in the hiring process, and a guy a young guy from UCF wanted to bring his WHOLE staff from a mid-major school up to a top tier SEC program? That's going to raise some red flags for me.

Reactions: EvilWayz and oozie7
Dan was way the better pick no matter what the media writes………

Im not sure. There is a reason the Gators wanted Frost first. I think Frost is the better coach, maybe Mullen was thw better fit tho? A lot of times its about fit at the right time. Not just the better coach

Reactions: oozie7
Mullen has a higher floor but Frost might have a higher ceiling. Frost could be like Meyer at UF. Or he could be Kevin Sumlin, do some good things on offense but not really run a top SEC program. I’d be very surprised if Mullen doesn’t win 9-10 games every year. Who knows if he can win 11-13?

Mullen has a higher floor but Frost might have a higher ceiling. Frost could be like Meyer at UF. Or he could be Kevin Sumlin, do some good things on offense but not really run a top SEC program. I’d be very surprised if Mullen doesn’t win 9-10 games every year. Who knows if he can win 11-13?

The Lib is right

We got the best man. Also learn how to spell Your AD team, it is not Strickland.

...and don’t think for a second that Frost wouldn’t have come to Florida if the Nebraska job wasn’t open whatever the conditions would have been...he would absolutely have come...he would have left us as soon as Nebraska DID come open, but he damn sure would have come...

That is what makes the Mullen hire the correct one....He actually wanted to be here.

No problem letting Frost pick his staff, but if that is his staff, no thank you. He would have needed an experienced SEC, or at least P5 DC, as well as some SEC recruiters.

And as much as I love Urb, I personally wouldn’t have been too excited about CONSTANTLY having the Tom osborne and NU cloud hanging over Frosts head while he was here like we did with Urb and all those Midwest jobs. We have a guy who is where he wants to be. Lets hope he gets it done and is here for a long time

No problem letting Frost pick his staff, but if that is his staff, no thank you. He would have needed an experienced SEC, or at least P5 DC, as well as some SEC recruiters.

And as much as I love Urb, I personally wouldn’t have been too excited about CONSTANTLY having the Tom osborne and NU cloud hanging over Frosts head while he was here like we did with Urb and all those Midwest jobs. We have a guy who is where he wants to be. Lets hope he gets it done and is here for a long time

When we hired jeremy pruitt he never had any dc experience. I remember all the FSU fans bit#### about hiring him. He was the best dc we ever had and now he is a head coach with 2 NC rings as DC.

Im not saying you were wrong but you cant paint with a broad brush and say that someone must have experiwnce because sometimes the first time dc's get it done and have great new innovative ways to call and coach. Experience is nice, i would never argue against that but sometimes that fresh fresh is good as well

Reactions: bradleygator
When we hired jeremy pruitt he never had any dc experience. I remember all the FSU fans bit#### about hiring him. He was the best dc we ever had and now he is a head coach with 2 NC rings as DC.

Im not saying you were wrong but you cant paint with a broad brush and say that someone must have experiwnce because sometimes the first time dc's get it done and have great new innovative ways to call and coach. Experience is nice, i would never argue against that but sometimes that fresh fresh is good as well

Flip side of that is that an experienced guy doesn’t necessarily get it done. Like Grantham has been a pretty good coordinator in the SEC, but I have my doubts about whether he can roll out a shutdown unit, like we saw at UF under Strong and then Muschamp.

Reactions: fsu939913
Flip side of that is that an experienced guy doesn’t necessarily get it done. Like Grantham has been a pretty good coordinator in the SEC, but I have my doubts about whether he can roll out a shutdown unit, like we saw at UF under Strong and then Muschamp.

And adding to what y'all are saying, a lot of times you don't get experience until you get experience, if that makes sense. Depending on the situation I'd rather take a chance on somebody with a lot of upside as opposed to the mediocre guy with a lot of experience or bad experience. All experience isn't good.

I really think people forget how "Bend-but-don't-break" Strong was.

Considering how Mac didn’t want to get rid of his OC I’m sure that played a lot into the hiring. Glad for Dan to get the job.

During his career, Grantham worked under several successful defensive minds on both the pro and college levels, including Saban, Frank Beamer and Bud Foster at Virginia Tech, Romeo Crennel in Cleveland, Dom Capers in Houston and Wade Phillips in Dallas. (just putting a good face on things, a fair chance to begin with) o_O

Grantham, was a 2017 nominee for the Broyles Award as the top assistant coach in the country. In his fifth season as a defensive coordinator in the SEC, 1st at MSU, he guided the best MSU defense in recent memory.

1st Down Defense - #1 SEC - #1 FBS
3rd Down Defense - #1 SEC - #12 FBS
Total Defense - #3 SEC - #10 FBS
MSU produced 6 non-offensive TD's, including a SEC-leading 4 defensive scores.
MSU also returned an interception for a TD in 3 straight games.
Not too bad for a team not loaded with 4-5 star recruits... ;)

Note: UF lost to UGly in 3 of his 4 seasons as the DC there... :(

Reactions: bradleygator
Yeah. He did really good work with MSU last year. No doubt about that. Mullen said his defenses play mean, which is true.

What evidence is there that UF offered the job to Frost? Newspaper articles aren't any more reliable than CNN. Stricklin said in his presser that the ONLY person offered the job was Mullen. I'm sure there were feelers put out to several guys. But from all that I've read, the only offer actually made was to Mullen. I don't think anybody who has posted on this board knows anything for sure. It's all speculation and interesting discussion, but to me it means absolutely nothing. We've got who we've got and I think the vast majority of Gator fans are thrilled.

Last edited:
If what is said in the link is true about why we lost out on Scott Frost, then Scott Strickland needs to be fired yesterday as AD. He blew it with Chip Kelly and it sounds like he blew it with Frost. No telling who else he messed up with and the real question is was it done intentionally to get his pick of his buddy Dan Mullen. We are Gator Nation and this is unacceptable. We get who we want, when we want and should have our pick of top candidates. We allowed CDM to bring his staff in, which now includes an OL coach, who can't recruit and is losing OL prospects left and right. But, one of our top HC choices wasn't allowed to bring his staff. Beyond ridiculous!!!!

https://www.bradenton.com/sports/article213095534.html
I'll admit I haven't followed recruiting like I did through the 2000's but I thought coaches recruited territories and not the position they coach.

I understand recruits evaluate their position coach and such but when did the game change that coaches recruit their position and not areas of the state and county?

Three things...

1. Frost was never coming to Florida with Nebraska open;

2. Sean Beckton is apparently a major douchebag with a bug up his ass; and

3. Florida got the perfect coach for its program.
I wasn't sure about Mullen...and we can all judge it later...but so far he's off to an amazing start IMO.

I'll admit I haven't followed recruiting like I did through the 2000's but I thought coaches recruited territories and not the position they coach.

I understand recruits evaluate their position coach and such but when did the game change that coaches recruit their position and not areas of the state and county?

Depends on the staff really.

Maybe this is Saban's real secret. He has no friends.

What evidence is there that UF offered the job to Frost? Newspaper articles aren't any more reliable than CNN. Stricklin said in his presser that the ONLY person offered the job was Mullen. I'm sure there were feelers put out to several guys. But from all that I've read, the only offer actually made was to Mullen. I don't think anybody who has posted on this board knows anything for sure. It's all speculation and interesting discussion, but to me it means absolutely nothing. We've got who we've got and I think the vast majority of Gator fans are thrilled.

Personally I would rather have our rivals throw out all this ‘third choice’ BS and an AD talk to many possible coaches than fly out and offer Chump or Mac a job out of the gate.

And add to that, if Dan Mullen is your third choice you must be doing something right. He’s a damn good coach

Yeah. He did really good work with MSU last year. No doubt about that. Mullen said his defenses play mean, which is true.

Hes been at Louisville which we play every yr. Grantham is VERY VERY aggressive which is why he always does well when given talent. I would expect big plays both ways, your defense should be making great plays but also giving up a few. I think Grantham is a good dc. I dont think he is bad. Im not sure if i would want him because of how much he gambles but it could be worse. You could have Charles Kelly. I think he will do fine.

While i agree, you are talking about official offers. The Gators wanted to meet frost, if you want to meet you are at a minimum interested. However that also doesnt mean that Frost was the first choice, it just means that they wanted to meet. The Gates could have met him and after the meeting said they wanted to continue to look. He may have been the 1st choice and declined, he may have been the first choice and once the Gators met with him they decided to change to Mullen or they could have just wanted to meet with him and see how he was and gauge interest. You never really know. If i was a gator fan, i would be happy with Mullen. He has proven that he can coach at the Gators and win. That doesnt mean he will have success but i think he has a good chance of success. If you guys got frost, the second that Neb job opened he would leave. You got the better guy IMO. Chip Kelly is a doosh. Would not want

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT