ADVERTISEMENT

If Mississippi State wins this game, we don’t get Mullen.

GordonGecko

Ring of Honor
Mar 29, 2002
If MSU does pull a miracle out of their ass, Mullen wouldn’t leave there, would he?

He would get himself an extra mil a year at least.

I️ didn’t necessarily opine, it was just an observation.

Mullen wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to us.

He checks a lot of my boxes.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
I️ didn’t necessarily opine, it was just an observation.

Mullen wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen to us.

He checks a lot of my boxes.
That's how I feel...but I'm hoping for someone more exciting...maybe I'm wrong but I like Kelly, Frost and Norvell/Fuente...in that order...before Mullen. I've just never cared for Mullen a whole lot. I think that he's done a great job with Miss St...he's certainly a lot more accomplished than the last 2 guys we've hired.

Reactions: GordonGecko
If Mullen had come to Florida 3 years or 7 years ago we wouldn’t be in this mess. I agree with him not being to flashy. He’s more like Saban than all those Saban assistants we’ve been cycling through.

How high does Saban rate on your flashy meter?

Mullen develops talent and implements a game plan that gives him the best chance to win every week.

Danny boy is absolutely wrecking nick tonight with x's and o's

that last 3rd down play call on our pivot was ****ing PERFECT timing

Where is that Mullen play selection wheel when you need it? The sun shines on a dog's azz every now and then. I'm not saying he isn't good, but don't we want dynamite instead of a fire cracker this time around? Bama went through a couple of duds, just like we have, then they hired Saban.

I don't need flashy, just something that tells me they will get us back to watching fun games

Reactions: Dannygator1989
Where is that Mullen play selection wheel when you need it? The sun shines on a dog's azz every now and then. I'm not saying he isn't good, but don't we want dynamite instead of a fire cracker this time around? Bama went through a couple of duds, just like we have, then they hired Saban.

I don't need flashy, just something that tells me they will get us back to watching fun games
It's been a dud of a program since the "firecracker" left.

You couldn’t be more wrong. But that’s ok.

When Mullen was here he was, in fact, more conservative. But he was also playing with superior talent. Much like Saban he didn’t take unnecessary risks and help the other team beat him. Since then he’s coached inferior talent for the last 8 years and has shown a tremendous amount of creativity. He has also shown the ability to spot talent and develop lower rated players.

You don’t have to like him. You don’t have to want him as your coach. But not giving him credit is just petty ignorance based on an incorrect assumption about who he was when he was OC here.

Sorry to be that guy, but the “he would be so much better than what we’ve had” is an awful argument.

There’s literally dozens of coaches that fit that description.

Dozens.

And dozens.

Stop looking to the past.

@Dannygator1989 no doubt. But this is more me defending Mullen than campaigning for him the be the new coach.

It’s fine not to want him. But don’t be intellectually dishonest. It’s like calling Trump “literally a Nazi”.

@Dannygator1989 no doubt. But this is more me defending Mullen than campaigning for him the be the new coach.

It’s fine not to want him. But don’t be intellectually dishonest. It’s like calling Trump “literally a Nazi”.

Fair enough, and I agree.

And as I type this, Bama is tied up and MSU just three and outed it and then screwed up the punt.

Stars align for Alabama.

Will he bring Tebow, Harbin, Cooper and Hernandez with him?

Maybe Demps and Rainey?

Anybody named Caldwell?

Just saying.

He’s a retread. We need new blood.
They have no eligibility but it's possible some with that talent would want to play for him with the other things UF has to offer.

How is he a rethread? He never was a HC here. I look at it as he went off and became educated and trained.

If Fedora was rolling around 6 wins right now, you would be hyping him. Why is he not considered a rethread.

He was around the last time we had a winning culture talent. He's overrated because he took part in coaching up said talent?

Reactions: bradleygator
mullen played not to lose and lost, plain and simple.. but bama is history against Auburn if those LB's are gone

They have no eligibility but it's possible some with that talent would want to play for him with the other things UF has to offer.

How is he a rethread? He never was a HC here. I look at it as he went off and became educated and trained.

If Fedora was rolling around 6 wins right now, you would be hyping him. Why is he not considered a rethread.

He was around the last time we had a winning culture talent. He's overrated because he took part in coaching up said talent?

I can very honestly say that’s not true.

I think Fedora would have been a good choice a few years ago.

I think Malzahn would have been a good choice instead of Muschamp.

Times change.

At the moment, we need something more than a Dan Mullen.

We need an exciting name.

It is what it is.

So did Michigan, they got their coach and they are good again. Go big...get Chip Kelly and give him money to hire a great staff. Do that and we're badass again.

If Mullen had come to Florida 3 years or 7 years ago we wouldn’t be in this mess. I agree with him not being to flashy. He’s more like Saban than all those Saban assistants we’ve been cycling through.

How high does Saban rate on your flashy meter?

Mullen develops talent and implements a game plan that gives him the best chance to win every week.

Saban is apparently in the habit of landing helicopters next to high school football fields to meet recruits. That's Wizard-of-Oz-Visiting-On-His-Hot-Air-Balloon tier flashy. And recruits love it

It's been a dud of a program since the "firecracker" left.

Sincere question: And what has he done at MSU that makes you believe he will turn around our program? He either hasn't been able to recruit or he hasn't been able to coach them up imho

Sincere question: And what has he done at MSU that makes you believe he will turn around our program? He either hasn't been able to recruit or he hasn't been able to coach them up imho
Considering it's MSU, he has done wonders. We are talking about basically the Kentucky of the West portion of the SEC. Maybe Vanderbilt (minus the academics). A place who had some of the limited budgets, facilities, etc. Nobody wins consistently at MSU. Not even a cheating Jackie Sherrill.

Sure he "never won the West" but who has knocked off Nick Saban consistently? Something a national championship winner Les Miles couldn't do even with top recruiting classes. Something Gus Malzhan couldn't do except once with a miracle missed FG return that's still probably to this day the best miracle play in the modern era.

It's not simple to win or recruit at State, especially when his in state competition was running a crooked program that involves paying players moms utilities and rent.

Despite that he recruited (and developed) the most exciting QB in the NFL from the SEC.

If a coach was consistently going 7-5, 8-4 or occasionally 10-2 at Kentucky he would be something magical. Why do some think MSU is some historical powerhouse consistent winner with lots of history?

I mean a painted water storage tower is a landmark of the campus. Just a decade ago they had the green wood bleachers in their north end zone to seat fans.

I mean let this sink in...traditions at this school consistent of: dangling live stock bells, bumping some cheap song from the Miami bass sound era (later stole by a corny Caribbean group) and now waving a lit up cell phone.

Last edited:

I kind of agree. Other than beating the non conference lesser teams he plays and KY he hasn't done much at all imo. Heck he has an awful record when his team is ranked in the top 25 and plays another ranked top 25 team. I don't think he is a bad coach but I don't consider him one of the better ones either.

I kind of agree. Other than beating the non conference lesser teams he plays and KY he hasn't done much at all imo. Heck he has an awful record when his team is ranked in the top 25 and plays another ranked top 25 team. I don't think he is a bad coach but I don't consider him one of the better ones either.
Like I said, if a coach consistently went 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, and occasionally went 10-2 at UK y'all would be praising them as top notch.

Go ahead and reference the one rare time Jackie Sherrill won the West like you have.

Dude has a pretty descent H2H vs in state rival Ole Miss. Even during their Freeze era...and we know Freeze stretched the rules. Competing well vs Ole Miss is a big accomplishment looking back at the history of games.

But some of y'all expect it easy to win all out at Mississippi State.

Y'all really aren't looking at the whole platform.

I mean Bobby Petrino sucks too because he never won the West at Arkansas.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Like I said, if a coach consistently went 7-5, 8-4, 9-3, and occasionally went 10-2 at UK y'all would be praising them as top notch.

Go ahead and reference the one rare time Jackie Sherrill won the West like you have.

Dude has a pretty descent H2H vs in state rival Ole Miss. Even during their Freeze era...and we know Freeze stretched the rules. Competing well vs Ole Miss is a big accomplishment looking back at the history of games.

But some of y'all expect it easy to win all out at Mississippi State.

Y'all really aren't looking at the whole platform.

I mean Bobby Petrino sucks too because he never won the West at Arkansas.
:rolleyes:

We just disagree. He just doesn't win many big games and has a terrible record in the bigger games they play even when they are up there in the rankings for a few weeks. He only has 1 winning SEC record in 8 years there and is only .500 so far this season despite all the pumping and the SEC being down. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't pull a winning SEC record again this season despite all the early hype.

We just disagree. He just doesn't win many big games and has a terrible record in the bigger games they play even when they are up there in the rankings for a few weeks. He only has 1 winning SEC record in 8 years there and is only .500 so far this season despite all the pumping and the SEC being down. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't pull a winning SEC record again this season despite all the early hype.
I honestly understand where you are coming from..his record just isn't shining.

I guess I've followed the logistics of MSU football just a tad behind UF and Memphis..I've had family members and HS teammates and competition attend school there.

It's just not and probably never will be a high up destination for top rated recruits. Sure they will get some good in state talent that great up dog fans or those who want to stay close to home. They will get the occasional regional player who saw something like early playing time. It's rare they get the national top rated recruits. Starkville is a place you usually end up, not a place you dreamt of going to

Numbers may be able to explain it better.

It's just not a set up to compete consistently with Bama, LSU, and Auburn.

Sure Sherrill took advantage of Bama having Debose, LSU pre Saban/Miles, Ole Miss on probation, Auburn working out the kinks of Bowden's mishaps and Tuberville needing time to sweep up the mess...and Mr Mediocre Houston Nutt being at Arkansas. Even then it didn't last long for Sherrill and he had to cheat to accomplish what he did.

Like I say, if a coach consistently averages around 8 or so wins a year at UK, he will be a shining star. Not sure why so much is expected of MSU.

Reactions: Gator Fever
@Michi-Gator

If you doubted me...look who was arguing for Mullen almost a month ago.

I've had him high on the list from the beginning and did 3 years ago.

I only thought Frost and Norvell would be great is the Mullen hire didn't happen...still looking for old posts where I even picked Mullen over Chip...but I had no problem with us trying Chip first. I think everything fell into place perfectly.

I can very honestly say that’s not true.

I think Fedora would have been a good choice a few years ago.

I think Malzahn would have been a good choice instead of Muschamp.

Times change.

At the moment, we need something more than a Dan Mullen.

We need an exciting name.

It is what it is.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT