ADVERTISEMENT

How the new coaches faired in the Early NSD

We’ll be fine. We’ll avg star rating 10-12. Good job by Willie in a short time frame. Luckily our roster is still top 5 blue chip % in thr country.

Of course he can coach. Looking at his overall coaching recorded is short sighted.

He turned two programs around and was doing the same with Oregon. He’s also going to put together a great staff at FSU.

Gator fans: Hey, Jimbo seems to always lose to at least one overmatched ACC team every year.

Nole fans: Hey look at his overall record. It is awesome.

Gator fans: Hey Taggart has a pretty poor overall record.

Nole fans: Hey that does not count. He is an awesome coach.

The delusion of Nole fans is nothing if not consistent.

Reactions: djegators
Of course he can coach. Looking at his overall coaching recorded is short sighted.

He turned two programs around and was doing the same with Oregon. He’s also going to put together a great staff at FSU.

I'm one of the few who indulge in the UF/FSU smack. I am not the type to jump on anything to try to laugh at FSU. I don't coattail ride...for example GT when they upset FSU.

Being that said when our list of candidates came up, Taggart was the one I hoped and prayed we didn't get.

He may become the next Bobby Bowden at FSU for all we know. I could be totally off on my assessment of him. I just know he didn't excite me on UF's list.

I was the opposite. The three coaches I was afraid of UF getting where Kelly, Frost then Willie.

I didn’t want you guys to get him due to his recruiting and offense he would bring.

Gator fans: Hey, Jimbo seems to always lose to at least one overmatched ACC team every year.

Nole fans: Hey look at his overall record. It is awesome.

Gator fans: Hey Taggart has a pretty poor overall record.

Nole fans: Hey that does not count. He is an awesome coach.

The delusion of Nole fans is nothing if not consistent.

Delusion, combined with intellectual dishonesty, and all driven by little brother syndrome....some things never change...

His overall losing record would suggest otherwise.

A closer look at the teams he has taken over would suggest otherwise.

I see a coach whose first head job was taking over an 0-12 WKU squad.
He then goes 2-10, 7-5, 7-5 and the team earns their first bowl game. They also beat Kentucky that season.
He leaves for a bigger job, back in Florida.
Takes over a team that Skip Holtz drove into the ground (8-5, 5-7, 3-9 in his three seasons). Taggart goes 2-10, 4-8, 8-5, 10-2, then takes a job at Oregon.
Things went downhill quick for Helfrich. From 13-2 in 2014 the Ducks slid to 9-4 then 4-8. They pull the trigger and hire Taggart. Taggart goes 7-5, with 4 of the losses coming while the starting QB was out with a broken clavicle.

So ignore how he turned around each of those programs and reflect only on the aggregate W/L without context if it makes you feel warmer this Xmas.

A closer look at the teams he has taken over would suggest otherwise.

I see a coach whose first head job was taking over an 0-12 WKU squad.
He then goes 2-10, 7-5, 7-5 and the team earns their first bowl game. They also beat Kentucky that season.
He leaves for a bigger job, back in Florida.
Takes over a team that Skip Holtz drove into the ground (8-5, 5-7, 3-9 in his three seasons). Taggart goes 2-10, 4-8, 8-5, 10-2, then takes a job at Oregon.
Things went downhill quick for Helfrich. From 13-2 in 2014 the Ducks slid to 9-4 then 4-8. They pull the trigger and hire Taggart. Taggart goes 7-5, with 4 of the losses coming while the starting QB was out with a broken clavicle.

So ignore how he turned around each of those programs and reflect only on the aggregate W/L without context if it makes you feel warmer this Xmas.
Were those stats supposed to help his cause because it’s not like he turned those programs in a big way. Just a minimal rise each year. I think he will be able to bring in some good players, but how can anyone predict the future success of a coach with a losing record? Neither nole or UF fans know how it will turn out. I mean Mac totally turned CSU around and we see how much that mattered.

Taggart will get much better players than Mac but who knows how it will play out over time.

Mullen is doing pretty good recruiting, is he not? And his offenses speak for themself.

He’s doing well recruiting . We’d rather have Willie than Mullen. Better cultural fit and recruiting fit than Dan.

I think our schools got the best HC’s for them. Mullen isn’t as ideal for FSU as he is at UF based on the culture and familiarity.

He’s doing well recruiting . We’d rather have Willie than Mullen. Better cultural fit and recruiting fit than Dan.

I think our schools got the best HC’s for them. Mullen isn’t as ideal for FSU as he is at UF based on the culture and familiarity.
What’s the cultural difference?

What’s the cultural difference?

I was going to ask the same thing.

Here is the reality. WT started to turn around three programs (two in the AAC), but that was it. He was gone before anyone could see any sustained results. It does not mean WT will not be a good coach, but I would have much rather have seen someone who could sustain a program. I think that is what gives Mullen a big edge. He has proven,w without a doubt, that he can sustain a P5 program in a tough conference.

WT is known to be able to recruit, but so did Bobby and Jimbo. WT is not known for his x's and o's. He had to get advice in '15 from his high school coach as to what to do before he got canned at USF. WT coming to FSU without Leavitt, Cristobal, or Arroyo is a big whiff....especially Leavitt. WT needs to be smart and get some really high quality coordinators to this could be a roller coaster ride for a few years. The good news is the cupboard is loaded with talent so that should buoy the program for a year or two. WT should be able to continue to bring in high quality players....he just needs to be able to prove he can coach this talent against the likes of Clemson, Vatech, Miami, UF, Notre Dame, etc.

Exactly. The only real cultural differences in our schools is that FSU doesn’t put as much into the overall athletic department. However if we had the success UF does in overall athletics we’d be as bragadocious as they are and deservedly so. FSU athletics are nothing to sneeze at but our lack of spring/summer trophies compared to UF is the only big difference. Both schools are football schools and with the right coach can be in the national title conversation every year and are national brands. The last thirty years have proven that. And just like any program in the country the wrong coach can set both programs back. Dan Mullen would be just as dangerous at FSU as he would at UF, he just has a positive history at UF which has helped him recruit in the short term along with UF still having a positive brand despite that last few years.

To a man every poster on here said that Jimbo sucked and wouldn't win anything at FSU when he was hired. They also raved about how awesome Mac and Muschamp were when they got hired.

Reactions: dakid_0812
To a man every poster on here said that Jimbo sucked and wouldn't win anything at FSU when he was hired. They also raved about how awesome Mac and Muschamp were when they got hired.

Interesting, because I recall multiple arguments between Gators in the pro- and anti- Mac camps, just like there were in the pro-and anti- Mus Camps.

We did say Jimbo sucked. Take one player away and he loses 4 games every year. Now you've hired Jimbo lite.

Reactions: gatorRAD
Interesting, because I recall multiple arguments between Gators in the pro- and anti- Mac camps, just like there were in the pro-and anti- Mus Camps.

We did say Jimbo sucked. Take one player away and he loses 4 games every year. Now you've hired Jimbo lite.
And you hired a guy that has won 3% of his games against top 25 opponents.

Your culture is to constantly come here for your big brothers validations. :rolleyes:

Our culture is to never, or almost never, go to your snore-rant board for any reason. :cool:

Our culture is the SWAMP. o_O

Your culture is Ron Zook Field,,, at Joke Shambles Stadium....:D

You mean our winning culture? Like 40 straight winning seasons?

Our cultures are different.

I seem to remember 12 forfeited victories in 2006-07 for ACADEMIC FRAUD. Pretty sure that wasn't a winning season.

Oh yes, our cultures are QUITE different.

That pesky music class with 300 students. We were honest that we had athletes in it. Seeing as how the UNC punishment we shouldn’t have been Boy Scouts and self reported.

That pesky music class with 300 students. We were honest that we had athletes in it. Seeing as how the UNC punishment we shouldn’t have been Boy Scouts and self reported.

"But Moooooom, Joey got a D in English. Why am I being punished?"

That's right, you're 12.

Mullen averages over 5 loses a yr. and that's without taking away his star QB which is a silly construct in it's own right.

Exactly. The only real cultural differences in our schools is that FSU doesn’t put as much into the overall athletic department. However if we had the success UF does in overall athletics we’d be as bragadocious as they are and deservedly so. FSU athletics are nothing to sneeze at but our lack of spring/summer trophies compared to UF is the only big difference. Both schools are football schools and with the right coach can be in the national title conversation every year and are national brands. The last thirty years have proven that. And just like any program in the country the wrong coach can set both programs back. Dan Mullen would be just as dangerous at FSU as he would at UF, he just has a positive history at UF which has helped him recruit in the short term along with UF still having a positive brand despite that last few years.
Dear Lord I agree with the jar head.

BTW, thanks for your service, buddy

Mullen averages over 5 loses a yr. and that's without taking away his star QB which is a silly construct in it's own right.

Isn't it the consensus that Jimbo won't do as well at Texas A&M? So what does that mean for 4 loss Fisher? 5 losses a year? Well that would be the same as Mullen who was at a lesser school than TAMU.

So what does that say? That Mullen will do as well at UF as Jimbo did at FSU? I'd take a Natty, even if Mullen has to recruit a super QB to do it.

Why are there so many Noles on this site, and people with thousands of post, that have a user name that I, with over 17 years on this site, have ever seen?

Reactions: PacoGator19
I understand why you guys are so consumed with the past as you haven't been relevant in quite some time. I guess we'll all look to the future and see how these new coaches play out over the next 3-5 years when they totally have their own team with their own players. Should be interesting and hopefully a lot of fun. In the meantime, Merry Christmas!

Isn't it the consensus that Jimbo won't do as well at Texas A&M? So what does that mean for 4 loss Fisher? 5 losses a year? Well that would be the same as Mullen who was at a lesser school than TAMU.

So what does that say? That Mullen will do as well at UF as Jimbo did at FSU? I'd take a Natty, even if Mullen has to recruit a super QB to do it.

If that actually makes sense to you and you actually believe that it works that way...... well sure then.

Reactions: Thbull
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT