ADVERTISEMENT

Heavener Center opens today - Aug 14th; provides wow factor, ‘50-year fix’ for Florida football

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Recruiting matters, but recruiting by itself doesn’t win anything.

Since 2017, University of Southern California have had three top ten recruiting classes.

They haven’t won more than eight games since 2018.

Texas had the third ranked class in 2018 and 2019. They were also eighth in 2020.

News alert, Texas isn’t back.

Texas A&M has had top ten classes in six of the last ten seasons.

The Aggies haven’t topped ten wins since 2012 and have only finished ranked in the AP poll twice since 2014.

For a program to be successful, it not only has to recruit but it also has to be able to develop those recruits.

Make no mistake about it, a team still has to have higher end talent to be competitive even if they are the best developers in the world.

The Florida Gators have had far more four and five star recruits show interest in Florida in one summer under Napier than they ever did under Mullen.

Then four star QB Jaden Rashada pushed back his commitment date after looking like a lock for Florida.(& scheduled an OV to Miami).
Five star CB AJ Harris, after it appeared at one point that Florida was the frontrunner, chose to commit to Georgia.

And so in the words of Taylor Swift, some Florida Gators fans have started to say “I think I’ve seen this film before, and I didn’t like the ending.”

Florida has a far greater commitment towards recruiting than they did under Mullen though. As Florida winds up on the radar of more and more recruits, there is greater room for hope but also greater room for disappointment.

In the age of NIL, Florida hasn’t indicated it is willing to play ball at a level needed to be a top five class consistently.

But Florida had top ten classes in 2019 and 2020 even with Mullen’s lackluster effort. And if Napier runs a better in house program than what Mullen did, Florida can still win a national title with top 10 classes.

Mullen was a thrown shoe and a defensive coordinator who knew a play call besides “Engage Eight” away from winning a title in 2020.
https://hailfloridahail.com/2022/06/21/panic-florida-gators-recruiting/

Reactions: gatordad3
UU has averaged a 35 class for the last 4 seasons.
UF has averaged a 12 class for the last 4 seasons.

UU preseason is ranked.
UF preseason is unranked.

UU is predicted to beat UF in the Swamp...

Recruiting is the be all, end all, of college football, obviously........
😉

In recent years that 1st Dabo Championship is about the lowest you can do in recruiting and still win a championship and it was still top 10 I think with dominant players at DT and QB. There is always a few top 10 recruiting teams that have bad results though.

Since 2017, University of Southern California have had three top ten recruiting classes.

Texas had the third ranked class in 2018 and 2019. They were also eighth in 2020.

The Aggies haven’t topped ten wins since 2012 and have only finished ranked in the AP poll twice since 2014.

For a program to be successful, it not only has to recruit but it also has to be able to develop those recruits.

Make no mistake about it, a team still has to have higher end talent to be competitive even if they are the best developers in the world.

The Florida Gators have had far more four and five star recruits show interest in Florida in one summer under Napier than they ever did under Mullen.

Then four star QB Jaden Rashada pushed back his commitment date after looking like a lock for Florida.(& scheduled an OV to Miami).
Five star CB AJ Harris, after it appeared at one point that Florida was the frontrunner, chose to commit to Georgia.

And so in the words of Taylor Swift, some Florida Gators fans have started to say “I think I’ve seen this film before, and I didn’t like the ending.”

Florida has a far greater commitment towards recruiting than they did under Mullen though. As Florida winds up on the radar of more and more recruits, there is greater room for hope but also greater room for disappointment.

In the age of NIL, Florida hasn’t indicated it is willing to play ball at a level needed to be a top five class consistently.

But Florida had top ten classes in 2019 and 2020 even with Mullen’s lackluster effort. And if Napier runs a better in house program than what Mullen did, Florida can still win a national title with top 10 classes.

Mullen was a thrown shoe and a defensive coordinator who knew a play call besides “Engage Eight” away from winning a title in 2020.
It matters greatly

Good team recruiting matters, but individual stars by a recruiting services,,, not so much imo.

Kyle Trask was a 2 star.
Carson Beck was a 5 star.

Montrell Johnson was a 3 star.
Demarcus Bowman was a 5 star.

And the iG wouldn't trade 3 star Max Brown for the 5 star Arch....

And on and on and on it goes....

• Haha
Reactions: Gator Fever
The proof is in the pudding if you look north of us up in Athens and Tuscaloosa. They didn't just get good with good coaching. Neither run exotic offenses. Yes both have had dominant defenses but a lot of that is due to talent.

No Texas A&M hasn't won a title but they are much better than they ever were from the past decades ago.

Coaches have recruited themselves a national title that weren't elite coaches. Mack Brown and Phil Fulmer did such. Larry Coker got himself one due to Butch Davis's recruits. LSU has been in the mix here and there and Les Miles and Ed O weren't elite coaches, they had the talent stockpiled at the right time. Ohio State became a force due to Jim Tressell recruiting followed by Urban Meyer and the new guy.

Good team recruiting matters, but individual stars by a recruiting services,,, not so much imo.

Kyle Trask was a 2 star.
Carson Beck was a 5 star.

Montrell Johnson was a 3 star.
Demarcus Bowman was a 5 star.

And the iG wouldn't trade 3 star Max Brown for the 5 star Arch....

And on and on and on it goes....

Of course there are exceptions like that but you damn well better have top 10 or better classes if you want to win the SEC or national championship. Even with a lower top 10 team in recruiting you better have a really good QB and some top DTs if you want to have any chance to win either of those.

Edit: I know the rankings only go so far back but going by who was getting the top players almost every SEC champ since the 70s was getting the top players. About the only 2 eyeballing it that maybe were borderline national top 10 in ranked talent were those 2010 and 2013 Auburn teams.

Last edited:

It’s important but no more important than coaching. All teams in playoff are super talented college teams, but they can’t all win. You can’t win with a Vanderbilt roster (obviously) but just signing a bunch of highly ranked guys and expecting the natties to flow in won’t happen.

Smart had lots of good players before Monken. Now, in Monken’s first full season, UGA wins the championship. Not a coincidence.

In recent years that 1st Dabo Championship is about the lowest you can do in recruiting and still win a championship and it was still top 10 I think with dominant players at DT and QB. There is always a few top 10 recruiting teams that have bad results though.
I remember pre Clemson title run people (on this board an elsewhere) was saying all of Dabo's success was due to Chad Morris. Morris leaves to become a below average head coach and Dabo wins multiple titles. During that time run majority say it was due to Brent Venables. Soon we will find out.

Regardless I wonder what Clemson's recruiting rankings were with Dabo vs Son Bowden. Bet it was better.

It means a ton, probably the most important aspect in college football. Fsu and UF are both struggling right now to recruit. UF just lost Rashada to UM. This just shows how much NIL matters, UF was leading for him. I think recruits are in wait and see mode with Napier for some reason, not sure why. Maybe they want to see the product on the field first? Hell at least you guys get visits lol we have no juice on the trail right now, but don't worry, an unranked linebacker is likely to commit to us soon, so stay alert for that earth shattering moment.

I think FSU and UF are both suffering from the same thing right now, not winning enough and not having enough money in NIL, a recruits dad called the Gators "cheap" on twitter and we lost Marvin Jones Jr to UGA because of NIL, same with Travis Hunter. Both programs need wins and NIL to pick up

Yep, you can away with it if you have an elite QB, weaker schedule, and some luck. We should have beat Clemson that yr IIRC, but got called for a phantom clipping penalty on one of Dalvins long runs.

It means a ton, probably the most important aspect in college football. Fsu and UF are both struggling right now to recruit. UF just lost Rashada to UM. This just shows how much NIL matters, UF was leading for him. I think recruits are in wait and see mode with Napier for some reason, not sure why. Maybe they want to see the product on the field first? Hell at least you guys get visits lol we have no juice on the trail right now, but don't worry, an unranked linebacker is likely to commit to us soon, so stay alert for that earth shattering moment.

I think FSU and UF are both suffering from the same thing right now, not winning enough and not having enough money in NIL, a recruits dad called the Gators "cheap" on twitter and we lost Marvin Jones Jr to UGA because of NIL, same with Travis Hunter. Both programs need wins and NIL to pick up
UFs NIL is much better spot than FSUs at the moment. UF NIL just isn’t in that high Tier 1 right now. UF also just hasn’t figured out a way to use it yet. Right now they are giving it to players already on the roster like AR, Dexter, Marshall, etc.
Yes UF was leading for Rashada but also after only recruiting him for a few months. It is a minor miracle we even basically became the leader at some point. Right now UFs staff is doing a phenomenal job with getting high ranked prospects to campus. Probably the best since the Meyer years but right now aren’t closing on them. FSUs staff can’t recruit and doesn’t have much in the NIL game so they are in a deep struggle. Miami getting Cristobal wasn’t good for FSU either.

It means a ton, probably the most important aspect in college football. Fsu and UF are both struggling right now to recruit.

UF just lost Rashada to UM. This just shows how much NIL matters, UF was leading for him.

I think recruits are in wait and see mode with Napier for some reason, not sure why. Maybe they want to see the product on the field first? Hell at least you guys get visits lol

I think FSU and UF are both suffering from the same thing right now, not winning enough and not having enough money in NIL,

a recruits dad called the Gators "cheap" on twitter Both programs need wins and NIL to pick up
fsu939913,

Well said !

What fools we were hoping for the new era of open recruiting.

Then the reality of Tenn & a $2MM QB showed up & bit us in the A*s*s !

Now we are looking with nostalgia at the days of secretly giving a recruit a low mileage, pre-owned car & a small McDonald's Bag.

Jeeze !

Last edited:
UFs NIL is much better spot than FSUs at the moment. UF NIL just isn’t in that high Tier 1 right now. UF also just hasn’t figured out a way to use it yet. Right now they are giving it to players already on the roster like AR, Dexter, Marshall, etc.
Yes UF was leading for Rashada but also after only recruiting him for a few months. It is a minor miracle we even basically became the leader at some point. Right now UFs staff is doing a phenomenal job with getting high ranked prospects to campus. Probably the best since the Meyer years but right now aren’t closing on them. FSUs staff can’t recruit and doesn’t have much in the NIL game so they are in a deep struggle. Miami getting Cristobal wasn’t good for FSU either.

How so? We have been very competitive with NiL, (offered Mims a 900k), not top tier but close enough. Ours basically got juiced up this year because our admin admitted they didn't fully understand it last yr (LOL It's not like it's their job or anything). I don't think there is much difference in the NIL. Parents of recruits are complaining about UFs NIL (now I'm not sure what they are asking for and they are parents so they probably think their kid is worth more than they actually are but it's still not a good look). Are the Gators in a better spot right now than last time at this yr? I don't think so but for Napier, I think wins will hold a lot of weight. If you guys win 10 games, you will be fine. Fsu is in the same boat, get tons of visits from top prospect but they smell the stench on the program as they are here lol We dont recruit receivers..... or linebackers.

I don't want you to think I'm being over critical or anything, it's June and Napier has had virtually no time to recruit yet. I think he wrote an open letter to UF fans recently as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: instaGATOR
Problem is, you can't run a business with a non-business model. Almost all the wealthy alumni out there are businessmen (and women). They got where they are by being sharp at business, and 1)there is no profit in NIL, and 2) No matter how much money you spend, there is still only one champion each year. Everybody thinks this is their chance to get a bunch of really great players and win a title, but the schools doing it are mostly the schools that are already had expectations of 10+ wins a year, so if they don't do any better, they will quickly start asking "where is the return on investment?". Ultimately, I really see this becoming a U-21 football league, a football version of AA ball. The schools will be out of it, and make money from licensing their name and logo, plus renting the stadium, to the owners of the Florida Gators football team. And probably eventually the basketball team as well.

What is interesting is that, once the sport is off campus, it will no longer impact title IX. So many schools have to make a huge effort for women's sports because football makes it difficult to stay in compliance with Title IX. But if football and basketball get outsourced, the schools will have to cut way back on the entire sports program. NIL could result in a huge cutback in women's sports at the football factories. What might eventually happen is all schools getting out of the sports business entirely, privatizing all the sports. Then only the sports that are actually profitable will make it, and the schools will be free of Title IX, but be raking in fat checks from being paid for THEIR name, image, and likeness. Plus rent checks for their sports facilities. If this is what they see happening, no wonder the Presidents have neutered the NCAA. Because, don't kid yourself, the NCAA is run by the University presidents. It does nothing now because that's the way the presidents want it.

Last edited:
Problem is, you can't run a business with a on-business model. Almost all the wealthy alumni out there are businessmen (and women). They got where they are by being sharp at business, and 1)there is no profit in NIL, and 2) No matter how much money you spend, there is still only one champion each year. Everybody thinks this is their chance to get a bunch of really great players and win a title, but the schools doing it are mostly the schools that are already had expectations of 10+ wins a year, so if they don't do any better, they will quickly start asking "where is the return on investment?". Ultimately, I really see this becoming a U-21 football league, a football version of AA ball. The schools will be out of it, and make money from licensing their name and logo, plus renting the stadium, to the owners of the Florida Gators football team. And probably eventually the basketball team as well.

What is interesting is that, once the sport is off campus, it will no longer impact title IX. So many schools have to make a huge effort for women's sports because football makes it difficult to stay in compliance with Title IX. But if football and basketball get outsourced, the schools will have to cut way back on the entire sports program. NIL could result in a huge cutback in women's sports at the football factories. What might eventually happen is all schools getting out of the sports business entirely, privatizing all the sports. Then only the sports that are actually profitable will make it, and the schools will be free of Title IX, but be raking in fat checks from being paid for THEIR name, image, and likeness. Plus rent checks for their sports facilities. If this is what they see happening, no wonder the Presidents have neutered the NCAA. Because, don't kid yourself, the NCAA is run by the University presidents. It does nothing now because that's the way the presidents want it.

I don't know, I dont think many care about the return on investment. Miamis billionaire won't care if Miami wins 8 games, he will just buy even more players. They will make coaching changes to appease these major players just like they did with bigger boosters.

Reactions: instaGATOR
How so? We have been very competitive with NiL, (offered Mims a 900k), not top tier but close enough. Ours basically got juiced up this year because our admin admitted they didn't fully understand it last yr (LOL It's not like it's their job or anything). I don't think there is much difference in the NIL. Parents of recruits are complaining about UFs NIL (now I'm not sure what they are asking for and they are parents so they probably think their kid is worth more than they actually are but it's still not a good look). Are the Gators in a better spot right now than last time at this yr? I don't think so but for Napier, I think wins will hold a lot of weight. If you guys win 10 games, you will be fine. Fsu is in the same boat, get tons of visits from top prospect but they smell the stench on the program as they are here lol We dont recruit receivers..... or linebackers.

I don't want you to think I'm being over critical or anything, it's June and Napier has had virtually no time to recruit yet. I think he wrote an open letter to UF fans recently as well.
1 parent said something about UF (Mitchell’s dad). That is it. I’m not aware of any other parents that have said anything.

FSUs NIL isn’t very good right now. This is like Norvell’s 4th recruiting class rightand their recruiting board just doesn’t look very good unless they hit on everybody or most of everybody. They are already having to get commitments from guys that aren’t even ranked or been evaluated yet. UFs NIL is good but not as good as the Tier 1 programs right now. Napier is also taking a bit of a different approach/distribution when it comes to the NIL piggybank he has. He’s using it for a lot of the current players. That is his strategy. We will see if it is a good one or bad one. Also right now the market is higher than expected & recruits are getting much more money than what was initially thought. We will see how long that is sustained. But UF isn’t going to give a larger NIL to Jaden Rashada then to Anthony Richardson and I’m fine with that and agree with that approach. Other schools are taking a different approach. Not sure how this is all going to end up. I’ve been on record from day 1 that I wasn’t a fan of NIL at all and these are the reasons why.

And yes UF is in a much better spot right now than this time last year. This time last year we had a coach that had lost interest in recruiting and in college football in general.

No the recruits FSU are bringing in for visits isn’t anywhere in the ball park of UFs and Miami’s right now. Not even close. FSUs recruiting has not been good the last few years and I expect it will not be good again this year either. Although it will likely be competitive with many of the ACC programs but the only ACC programs that will likely recruit well this year on a national level will be Clemson and Miami.

With all of that being said you are right it is just June. Their are alot of bigger programs that really haven’t gotten alot of commitments yet. (Bama, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
1 parent said something about UF (Mitchell’s dad). That is it. I’m not aware of any other parents that have said anything.

FSUs NIL isn’t very good right now. This is like Norvell’s 4th recruiting class rightand their recruiting board just doesn’t look very good unless they hit on everybody or most of everybody. They are already having to get commitments from guys that aren’t even ranked or been evaluated yet. UFs NIL is good but not as good as the Tier 1 programs right now. Napier is also taking a bit of a different approach/distribution when it comes to the NIL piggybank he has. He’s using it for a lot of the current players. That is his strategy. We will see if it is a good one or bad one. Also right now the market is higher than expected & recruits are getting much more money than what was initially thought. We will see how long that is sustained. But UF isn’t going to give a larger NIL to Jaden Rashada then to Anthony Richardson and I’m fine with that and agree with that approach. Other schools are taking a different approach. Not sure how this is all going to end up. I’ve been on record from day 1 that I wasn’t a fan of NIL at all and these are the reasons why.

And yes UF is in a much better spot right now than this time last year. This time last year we had a coach that had lost interest in recruiting and in college football in general.

No the recruits FSU are bringing in for visits isn’t anywhere in the ball park of UFs and Miami’s right now. Not even close. FSUs recruiting has not been good the last few years and I expect it will not be good again this year either. Although it will likely be competitive with many of the ACC programs but the only ACC programs that will likely recruit well this year on a national level will be Clemson and Miami.

With all of that being said you are right it is just June. Their are alot of bigger programs that really haven’t gotten alot of commitments yet. (Bama, LSU, Texas, Texas A&M, Etc).

How much do you pay attention to fsu recruiting? The one thing everybody says about Norvell is "he can get them on campus but he can't close". He's had pretty much every 5 star in the southern area on campus multiple times from their junior yr to senior yr. I mildly pay attention to UF recruits and visits and they are doing really well right now getting kids on campus.

Why do you say there is a big difference in FSU and UFs NIL? I'm asking this sincerely, I know we have raised a bunch of money for NIL and I know they had something for Travis Hunter in the million dollar range. I don't really know what UF has offered players so I'm not sure but I was told it's "similar" to what fsu offers by someone who would definitely know. They didn't tell me if it was above or below but just "similar, very similar". Maybe the schools know the going rate and one can pay more but didn't want to offer more? I'm with you on NIL being a terrible thing. It's like when the NFL had those inflated rookie co tracts where the 1st rd pick was making 70 million but the star of the team who was there for 8 yrs was making 40 million. It's crazy and has to create a weird dynamic. Interested to see how it plays out. I know we had one player ( a starter) threaten to leave because his NIL deal wasn't as much as the other starter playing the same position as him (gen z kids be crazy)

We are doing pretty much the same thing, paying players already on the team, it's a weird strategy imo but we were willing to offer Amarius Mims close to a million dollars to come to FSU, so I don't think it's us not being able to pay. I also think we both suffer from the Florida laws which are different than other states. Seems to be hampering both schools and I know multiple people have complained from both schools. Crazy times.

Also, yes, our recruiting board is doo doo

How much do you pay attention to fsu recruiting? The one thing everybody says about Norvell is "he can get them on campus but he can't close". He's had pretty much every 5 star in the southern area on campus multiple times from their junior yr to senior yr. I mildly pay attention to UF recruits and visits and they are doing really well right now getting kids on campus.

Why do you say there is a big difference in FSU and UFs NIL? I'm asking this sincerely, I know we have raised a bunch of money for NIL and I know they had something for Travis Hunter in the million dollar range. I don't really know what UF has offered players so I'm not sure but I was told it's "similar" to what fsu offers by someone who would definitely know. They didn't tell me if it was above or below but just "similar, very similar". Maybe the schools know the going rate and one can pay more but didn't want to offer more? I'm with you on NIL being a terrible thing. It's like when the NFL had those inflated rookie co tracts where the 1st rd pick was making 70 million but the star of the team who was there for 8 yrs was making 40 million. It's crazy and has to create a weird dynamic. Interested to see how it plays out. I know we had one player ( a starter) threaten to leave because his NIL deal wasn't as much as the other starter playing the same position as him (gen z kids be crazy)

We are doing pretty much the same thing, paying players already on the team, it's a weird strategy imo but we were willing to offer Amarius Mims close to a million dollars to come to FSU, so I don't think it's us not being able to pay. I also think we both suffer from the Florida laws which are different than other states. Seems to be hampering both schools and I know multiple people have complained from both schools. Crazy times.

Also, yes, our recruiting board is doo doo
Ok. I guess from what I have seen or heard that hadn’t been the case. I know FSU had a big camp I think a few weeks ago and it wasnt very good when it came to top prospects attending. At least not in comparison to Miami and UF. I don’t have that list anymore as that was a few weeks ago. But that goes back to my point FSUs board right now appears to be pretty weak. Maybe he is getting them on campus and just can’t close.
Yes the Florida laws are much different than some of the other states. California in particular.

The issue is some of these recruits are getting much much more than they are worth. At least IMO anyways. But I guess if they are actually getting it then that is what the market is set at. I think at some point that bubble will likely burst. I personally am not a fan of paying recruits more than current proven players and I think the original intention of NIL was for “current” players. I’m not a fan of giving somebody money who hasn’t even played a down of college football more than somebody who has actually done something but oh well I guess that is where we are at due to a few schools or boosters that have gone overboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu939913
Ok. I guess from what I have seen or heard that hadn’t been the case. I know FSU had a big camp I think a few weeks ago and it wasnt very good when it came to top prospects attending. At least not in comparison to Miami and UF. I don’t have that list anymore as that was a few weeks ago. But that goes back to my point FSUs board right now appears to be pretty weak. Maybe he is getting them on campus and just can’t close.
Yes the Florida laws are much different than some of the other states. California in particular.

The issue is some of these recruits are getting much much more than they are worth. At least IMO anyways. But I guess if they are actually getting it then that is what the market is set at. I think at some point that bubble will likely burst. I personally am not a fan of paying recruits more than current proven players and I think the original intention of NIL was for “current” players. I’m not a fan of giving somebody money who hasn’t even played a down of college football more than somebody who has actually done something but oh well I guess that is where we are at due to a few schools or boosters that have gone overboard.

The big man camp was very dull, you heard that correctly. June's has been very slow for us. And I agree on the rest on your points.

Reactions: PacoGator19
The big man camp was very dull, you heard that correctly. June's has been very slow for us. And I agree on the rest on your points.
And FWIW none of UF, FSU or Miami or going to be winning anything of significance anytime soon IMO and that is mainly because I don’t think those 3 will still be able to recruit with the big dogs (Bama, Ohio St, Texas, Texas A&M, UGA, Southern Cal, etc.)

To me, just my opinion but it feels like UF got caught a little flat-footed on the whole NIL deal...meaning that they didn't understand just how aggressive teams like AM would be. In a lot of these policy changes, the first to the market wins BIG.

We saw that with the DL transfer to UM and it feels like we're a little bit caught up in the Administration wanting to be 100% above board, while we're losing recruits. I hope we figure it out fast because I like Napier a LOT as a hire and you need the best talent to compete.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Lets just say it is a big part of the equation.
It feels like it's even WAY bigger now than 6 months ago.

Take for example - AM got some bad press for "buying" their class - now that seems like it's just the way business is being done. Now if you aren't bidding high you are the exception. That all happened within the last 6 months!

Per the above, we lost the DL-transfer to UM last minute - I think because we didn't really understand how big the NIL was at the time the deal was going down.

In addition, just a few months before - I don't believe we lost Perkins to NIL. At least I didn't read anything to indicate that. So that entire shift was within a 4 month window.

That's how fast this mindset has happened. 2 cents.

Not much in the Pac 12, Big 12 or ACC . But we play in the SEC … you are not even in the starting gate without comparable talent .

As a fan, I would like to whine; the original concept of NIL has been preverted.

Even Saban has said NIL was not supposed to be a recruiting tool; it was intended to reward players already on the team - as UF seems to be trying to do. I think that concept is long gone.

If Tennessee paid Nico Iamaleava the money he supposedly got ($2MM ?), I Wonder what Arch got from Texas ?

If you are a recruit with an above average skill set, this is your "Golden" age !

I don't think this overpayment stage will last forever, but if I was a top ranked recruit, I would go for the gusto & play it for all its worth.

Louisiana, California, & several other states are allowing students to sign NIL deals while still in HS. Rashada did that; nothing compared to what he probably got from the Canes this weekend.

In a scenario like that, many of the best players will never even hit the 'open market', they will be signed, sealed, & delivered before they graduate from HS.

Can't blame just the NCAA, not sure anyone really knew where NIL was headed.

In hindsight, giving the players $500/month after they enrolled & started classes - as was once proposed (since they can not hold jobs), would have been better; certainly a more level playing field. But college ADs cried NO ! & look where things are now.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Too late now; the Genie is out of the bottle !

As a fan, I would like to whine; the original concept of NIL has been preverted.

Even Saban has said NIL was not supposed to be a recruiting tool; it was intended to reward players already on the team - as UF seems to be trying to do. I think that concept is long gone.

If Tennessee paid Nico Iamaleava the money he supposedly got ($2MM ?), I Wonder what Arch got from Texas ?

If you are a recruit with an above average skill set, this is your "Golden" age !

I don't think this overpayment stage will last forever, but if I was a top ranked recruit, I would go for the gusto & play it for all its worth.

Louisiana, California, & several other states are allowing students to sign NIL deals while still in HS. Rashada did that; nothing compared to what he probably got from the Canes this weekend.

In a scenario like that, many of the best players will never even hit the 'open market', they will be signed, sealed, & delivered before they graduate from HS.

Can't blame just the NCAA, not sure anyone really knew where NIL was headed.

In hindsight, giving the players $500/month after they enrolled & started classes - as was once proposed (since they can not hold jobs), would have been better; certainly a more level playing field. But college ADs cried NO ! & look where things are now.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Too late now; the Genie is out of the bottle !
The only thing I'd take issue with is the last paragraph or so with the $500 idea.

Previously not giving kids more money - this has no effect on anything. The supreme court made all of the NIL stuff happen - really nothing to do with what came before.

The only thing I'd take issue with is the last paragraph or so with the $500 idea.

Previously not giving kids more money - this has no effect on anything. The supreme court made all of the NIL stuff happen - really nothing to do with what came before.
GBO,

IF my memory is correct, the $500 proposal was merely "Laundry Money" with a COLA - Cost of Living Adjustment - LOL.

It never happened & here we are. If it had happened, we could not have afforded Scott Stricklin's $500,000 raise.

The Supremes live in their own little world - (see current reversal of Rowe vs Wade) so their having a hand in NIL doesn't surprise me.

Very crazy situation. About the only thing comparable is maybe the baseball draft where a bunch of kids get overpayed and never do anything after that. There will be a lot of overpaid busts here but if you want to compete you have to get these top recruits. I hope we can stay in the lower top 10 area at least with these top 150 recruits. Also you now have the issue of keeping the good 2nd and 3rd year guys from transferring for NIL. That is how we got that receiver because AZ ST isn't paying their guys much at all.

Very crazy situation. About the only thing comparable is maybe the baseball draft where a bunch of kids get overpayed and never do anything after that. There will be a lot of overpaid busts here but if you want to compete you have to get these top recruits. I hope we can stay in the lower top 10 area at least with these top 150 recruits. Also you now have the issue of keeping the good 2nd and 3rd year guys from transferring for NIL. That is how we got that receiver because AZ ST isn't paying their guys much at all.
Fever,

You are correct !

Right after Golden got here, we had a rash of b'ball players "hitting the portal" looking for NIL$

Once UF paid up, they backed out of the portal.

Everyone has a theory on why a certain recruit chooses a certain school.

Did TX (Arch) and scUM (Rash) (both 4-5 stars) out bid UF with the NIL money,
or were there other major factors?

1. Both ego's will want to start as true-Fr in 2023.
(UF = AR-15 rsSo & Max Brown Fr)

2. UF under Billy will be a run leaning offense.
Arch & Rash want to be in a pass heavy offense.

3. Fill in the blanks....

Hey we got a commit today! Woooo. O line of course, so Atkins.
fsu939913,

4-Star OL Roderick Kearney picks FSU Football​

Excellent Pick Up ! Gators wanted him.

Prior to Sunday's commitment, Florida State has been Kearney's leader for some time. The 6-foot-4, 300 pound offensive tackle prospect chose the Seminoles over contenders Florida, Clemson, and Arkansas among others.
https://floridastate.rivals.com/new...4-star-ol-roderick-kearney-picks-fsu-football

Last edited:
Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT