ADVERTISEMENT

How does the transfer of Iverson Clement affect our 2021 recruiting class ?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Per GT & others, running back Iverson Clement has entered the transfer portal, becoming the second Florida player to do so this year.

The Gators have four running backs remaining on the roster, all of whom can return next season. Five-star transfer
Demarkcus Bowman will also be added to the position group in January.

No need for another RB IMO.

The last info I saw said we still had a chance with these uncommitted prospects -

EDIT-Added updates from latest Rivals 250
https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2021

5* TUNMISE ADELEYE-SDE-Rivals #24 down from #14

IMO, Good chance with these 3

4* XAVIAN SOREY-OLB-Rivals #48 up from #201
4* TERRION ARNOLD-S-Rivals #59 up from #194
4* BRYCE LANGSTON-SDE-Rivals #228 down from #211 - former Florida commit

Others, we are still talking about, but have had little contact with -

5* MAASON SMITH-DT -new Rivals #1 up from #4 - unlikely IMO
5* TRISTAN LEIGH-OT-Rivals #17 down from #15 - unlikely IMO

4* TERRENCE LEWIS-IL-Rivals #32 up from #38 - de-comit from Tenn just happened - so who knows ?

Lewis, who the 247Sports Composite pegs as the nation's No. 1 inside linebacker prospect, had been committed to the Volunteers since late April. There was also a time when he was committed to Florida. Do we still want him at Inside LB ?

Per Rivals, Gators currently listed with 26 commits. Will all of them qualify academically ? Will any of them flip ? Will Mullen try to recruit over the top of some of the lower rated recruits ? What are our true needs ?

This is old info from 247; no longer accurate; but the best starting point I could find - does not take into account the transfer out of Safety Quincy Lenton & RB Iverson Clement and possibly the transfer in of Bowman ?

"Florida can count as many as four scholarships back toward the 2019 recruiting cycle as initial counters via early enrollees. That leaves a total of 29 total initial counters for "this year's (2020) cycle." Possibly leaving 3 counters / players still open.

IMO, the win over UGA makes this one of our most attractive recruiting years; I say go for all the top players we can get now !

I am not an expert on "scholarship math" - if anyone has better, more current data please post it !

David Wunderlich of Gator Country has a good feel for the math; perhaps he will post something soon.

Last edited:
The 3 RB's we're primarily using this year are solid, Pierce especially. And with Bowman coming in next year we seem to be set at the position. Good luck to Clement.

Clement is pretty decent but with Bowman coming in he just drops further down the depth chart. I think he ends up at Rutgers.

Now, I wonder who it was that kept on constantly whining that UF had no good RB's, and that the RB recruiting was going horribly.... 🤓 - :rolleyes: - :cool:

For 2021, even with Iverson Clement gone:
Pierce 5-10 215 Jr
Rush
- 80 for 412 yds, 5.15 ypc, 3 TD's, L-38
Receiving - 11 for 114 yds, 10.36 Yds/Rec, 1 TD, L-35
Combined - 91 for 526 yds, 5.78 Yds/Touch

Davis 5-10 205 rsJr

Rush - 49 for 196 yds, 4.0 ypc, 0 TD, L-23
Receiving - 19 for 295, 15.53 Yds/Rec, 0 TD's, L-39
Combined - 68 for 491 yds, 7.22 Yds/Touch
-----
2018 #2 RB Lingard 6-0 203 rsSo ***** (Miami xfer)
2019 #16 RB Wright 5-9 195 rsFr ****
2020 #3 RB Bowman 5-10 190 Fr ***** (Clemson xfer)

Even if the unlikely happened and both Pierce and Davis left early, Dan would still have 3 high quality RB's. They will address RB again in the 2022 class.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Lorenzo Lingard - 6'0" 203 - excellent speed - ordinarily a 110m hurdler, but as a HS SR at the 2017 Deltona Invitational Track Meet he

"... clocked a career-best time of 10.71 seconds to win the 100 meter dash at the Deltona Invitational. He came back to dominate in the 200 with a 21.94 clocking — also a personal record."
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/spo...-shows-his-speed-on-track-20170310-story.html

Kadarius Toney graduates this year; Can Lingard catch, run jet sweeps, & return kicks ?

Reactions: gatordad3 and rdgtr
Thoughts from Andrew Spivey of Gator Country -

"...Assuming Iverson Clement transfers as expected, do we see that impact our available number this cycle or will it be something we see in the ’22 class?

AS: His scholarship will be available for the 2022 class, right now the biggest issue for the 2021 class is the NCAA still hasn’t decided how seniors returning to school will count against the scholarship limit."

"... How many spots do you see being left to fill after the December signing day?

AS: At this time, I believe two-three spots will be available for the February class, unless there’s a surprise decommitment or something along those lines."

"... What is your feeling on Arnold, Sorey & Adeleye?

AS: Tunmise Adeleye is trending away from Florida and the Gators sit in third for him right now. Terrion Arnold and Xavian Sorey are both guys that right now I have penciled into the Gators class."

"...Unless Florida just misses on their top guys like Xavian Sorey, Terrion Arnold and Bryce Langston then I don’t see any new names popping up."

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-mailbag-december-2nd-edition/

Terrance Lewis, ILB who decommited from Tenn, is rumored to Auburn.

I would love to finish off the 2021 class with Arnold, Sorey & Langston !

Lewis wants a UF offer but it ain’t happening
Paco,

IMO both Diwun Black (6' 3.5" - 226 lbs) & Chief borders (6' 4" 230 lbs or bigger according to 247) have the size to move to ILB & IMO, we need to use last spots on some combination of Xavian Sorey, Terrion Arnold and Bryce Langston.

Value your opinions - why do you think he won't get an offer ?

#13 Ath/RB/WR Charles Montgomery 5-10 185 ****

I heard that he's coming to play RB?
But maybe a Harvin/Toney combo type eventually???

From 247 -- A compact build with muscle already developed in the upper half. Just a shade under his 5-10 listing. A utility man of sorts that has lined up at both wide receiver and running back at the high school level. Can produce long gains out of the slot as his straight-line speed often times proves to be a mismatch for opposing defenses. Will carry the ball in-between the tackles, but needs to get more comfortable with contact. Has a knack for make acrobatic catches, but needs to get more polished when it comes to route running in college. Should eventually develop into a starter at the Power 5 level and could be used in a variety of different ways depending on the offensive scheme.

We both try Jeff.... ;)

I also wonder why the coaches have yet to incorporate in, a kid from Tampa that I thought might be a smaller version of a Harvin/Toney type of player.

Ath-CB/WR/QB-dt Jaylin Jackson 5-9 187 rsSo

PRIOR TO FLORIDA:

Played CB, WR and QB-dt as he helped lead his team to the 2015 FHSAA State Championship Game with a 12-1 overall record… Helped guide his team to the FHSAA State Semifinals as a senior in 2017…

Ended his career with a record of 30-5 as the starting QB-dt for the Lancers…

Finished high school with 5,621 total passing yards, 66 touchdowns, 1,858 rushing yards and 30 rushing touchdowns (combined for 96 HS TD's, same as Tebow had) :eek:

On defense he totaled 40 tackles and 6 interceptions(a tough-azz kid)

Chose to walk-on at Florida over offers from Kentucky, Colorado State, Army, Air force, and Georgia State… He also played point guard on his high school team.

The ole iG had visions of him at least being a Brandon James type of return man while he waited his turn as a slot WR/RB....

I wonder what happens with Lingard. I know he was banged up some early in 2020 but thinking he might not be what the recruiting people thought he was based on his time at Miami and here so far.

I'm more concerned about our inability to recruit and sign big time linemen on both sides of the ball. That's where championships are won and we are constantly relying on having to develop lesser talent while year after year teams like Bama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia and even LSU just keep signing high quality linemen. It's the #1 major concern about this coaching staff and until we start getting a steady number of elite "beef people" we'll be a good, but not great team.

Just thought that I'd stir up the running game conversation a bit as they enter the off season.
Make what you will out of these 2020 game stats:

UF 31 - 19 TN - WON Game
Ran the ball 17 times for 19 yds, 1.1 ypc
Worst running game of the 2020 season.

=====

UF 20 - 55 OU -- LOST Game
Ran the ball 39 times for 250 yds, 6.4 ypc, 1 TD
Best running game of the 2020 season.
-----

QB E.Jones 10 for 60 yds, 6.0 ypc - L22
RB D.Pierce 11 for 60 yda 5.5 ypc - L17
RB M.Davis 7 for 31 yds, 4.4 ypc - L18
-----
QB A.Richardson 3 for 42 yds, 14.0 ypc - L28
(AR also had the only passing TD, 27 yds to J.Pouncey)

RB L.Lingard 1 for 13 yds, 13.0 ypc - L13
RB N.Wright 4 for 44 yds, 11.0 ypc - L26

Have Fun.... :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT