ADVERTISEMENT

Heisman Finalist...

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
As much as I don’t want you guys having more Heisman winners than us the more I look at these candidates the more I think Trask should get the trophy. He had one top ten target to throw to and no running game to lean on. Your entire team rode on his shoulders, much like when Tebow won it. If Trask was the kind of runner Tebow was he might have it in the bag because he’d be considered “dynamic.” But as it were you had a ridiculously awful defense and basically zero running game to include an immobile QB. Wasnt Pitts out for a little bit too? Your season rested on Trask’s arm and Mullen’s brain.

Jones had two top ten picks to lean on. One of the best college RBs I’ve ever seen and one of the best WR in college football history statistically. Bama also won games with Jones just managing and handing off to Najee. If anyone deserves the Heisman from Bama it’s Smith or Harris. But if either of them went down Bama is probably still where they are now. You can’t say that about Trask and UF, just like you couldn’t say that about UF and Tebow his Heisman year.

Trask won’t win it and I won’t lose sleep over it but I have come around in my belief he absolutely should. That kid had a special story and it should have a Heisman shaped exclamation point to end his college career.

As much as I don’t want you guys having more Heisman winners than us the more I look at these candidates the more I think Trask should get the trophy. He had one top ten target to throw to and no running game to lean on. Your entire team rode on his shoulders, much like when Tebow won it. If Trask was the kind of runner Tebow was he might have it in the bag because he’d be considered “dynamic.” But as it were you had a ridiculously awful defense and basically zero running game to include an immobile QB. Wasnt Pitts out for a little bit too? Your season rested on Trask’s arm and Mullen’s brain.

Jones had two top ten picks to lean on. One of the best college RBs I’ve ever seen and one of the best WR in college football history statistically. Bama also won games with Jones just managing and handing off to Najee. If anyone deserves the Heisman from Bama it’s Smith or Harris. But if either of them went down Bama is probably still where they are now. You can’t say that about Trask and UF, just like you couldn’t say that about UF and Tebow his Heisman year.

Trask won’t win it and I won’t lose sleep over it but I have come around in my belief he absolutely should. That kid had a special story and it should have a Heisman shaped exclamation point to end his college career.
Devante Smith or Kyle Trask should win mainly because of the same reasons you stated above. Both had statistically historical seasons. I’ll be fine if either one of those 2 win it. I just hope Mac Jones doesn’t win it to be honest. Not because he isn’t a good QB but he has quite a supporting cast. He should finish 4th IMO but he won’t. Unfortunately I bet Trask is the one that finishes 4th.

Reactions: fsumc
Devante Smith or Kyle Trask should win mainly because of the same reasons you stated above. Both had statistically historical seasons. I’ll be fine if either one of those 2 win it. I just hope Mac Jones doesn’t win it to be honest. Not because he isn’t a good QB but he has quite a supporting cast. He should finish 4th IMO but he won’t. Unfortunately I bet Trask is the one that finishes 4th.
You may be right. This is a QB award of late but also looked at as the best player on the best team. I’d say Trask will be 3rd or 4th. . He’s gonna get paid, though.

Last edited:

Agreed, those 2 were the best players. I think Smith should win but it wouldnt be unjust if Trask won. Both deserve

I'm just going to be surprised if either Jones or Smith can win it. Apparently Najee finished 5th in the voting. That's A LOT of votes being given to three players from one school. And with Trask, that's four from one conference.

It's a weird year because the top 5 all come from the southeast.

Im leaning more and more that Lawrence will get it if for no other reason than too many guys from one conference.

No surprise...but what an amazing accomplishment for a young man who never started in high school and who is playing his first full season as a starter...almost incomprehensible...

and what a testament to what great coaching can do...

we are very fortunate our program is in such great hands...

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-mac-jones-lead-four-heisman-trophy-finalists

Yep thinking Trask didn't have it because he didn't start in front of King in high school proved to be way off from reality. Once he took over the starting job it was night and day at the QB position from Franks. Franks has actually improved some at Arkansas and looks calmer back there now than when he was at UF but is not anywhere close to Trask's play.

Reactions: gatordad3
I'm just going to be surprised if either Jones or Smith can win it. Apparently Najee finished 5th in the voting. That's A LOT of votes being given to three players from one school. And with Trask, that's four from one conference.

It's a weird year because the top 5 all come from the southeast.

Im leaning more and more that Lawrence will get it if for no other reason than too many guys from one conference.
To add fuel to your post. Kyle Pitts came in 10th place. That makes 5 from one conference and 6 from the southeast.

Last edited:
Reactions: PacoGator19

Disagree with the Mac Jones sentiment - he's a very pedestrian QB. He doesn't read the field and almost always throws to his first read. That only works well because Bama is stacked but he does almost nothing special that elite QBs are asked to do.

Reactions: gatordad3
Disagree with the Mac Jones sentiment - he's a very pedestrian QB. He doesn't read the field and almost always throws to his first read. That only works well because Bama is stacked but he does almost nothing special that elite QBs are asked to do.
Actually reminds me of his days at The Bolles School, where he was also surrounded by a S€it ton of talent.

From the 2-star Eagle Scout HS backup that some here thought should have never got a ship from UF.:

In just 11 games, he had more passing yards than Heisman Finalist Grossman had.
In one season, he had (43) one less TD than Heisman Spurrier had (44) in his 3 year UF career.
He also had more season passing TD's (43) than Natl.Champ Heisman Wuerffel had (39).
And he had a better TD/Int ratio than Natl.Champ Heisman Tebow had.

If Trask doesn't get the Heisman, then that's par for the course on Heisman 'political' voting.
I hope he gets it, but I won't lose any sleep if they shaft him like they have done many times before.
Natl.Champ Leak should have gotten it over tOSU's Troy Smith.
Natl. Champ Tebow should have gotten it again over OK's Sam Badford.

PS
As good as he obviously is, I wouldn't have traded Pitts or Toney for Smith.
At UF, Smith would have just been another of the dozen receivers that Trask threw to.

From the 2-star Eagle Scout HS backup that some here thought should have never got a ship from UF.:

In one season, he had (43) one less TD than Heisman Spurrier had (44) in his 3 year UF career.
He also had more season passing TD's (43) than Natl.Champ Heisman Wuerffel had (39).

If Trask doesn't get the Heisman, then that's par for the course on Heisman 'political' voting.
I hope he gets it, but I won't lose any sleep if they shaft him like they have done many times before.

PS
At UF, Smith would have just been another of the dozen receivers that Trask threw to.
You speak the truth.

PS

I haven't looked at the run/pass ratio but before I will proclaim Trask a better "college" QB than Danny I would like to see the breakdown as it seemed we were passing the ball on a lot more downs this season than the years with those QBs. Wouldn't surprise me if we had a run/pass ratio close to those Big 12/Pac 12 teams in recent years that had crazy numbers for QBs also. Could be wrong on that but it seemed that was the case to me watching us this year.

Alright Insta - I decided to actually crunch the numbers for 1996 and 2020 up to this point and in 1996 we passed the ball on 48% of the plays. In 2020 we have passed the ball on 57% of our plays.

Trask does have a great completion % but many of Trask's throws are shorter ones the receiver runs for yards after the catch while we know what Spurrier ran. Looks like yards per attempt were about the same.

Your boy Wuerffel could throw a fade route better than any quarterback I have ever seen. You don’t even see fade routes anymore, it’s all back shoulder/comeback style routes. That route was a killer and no one did it better or since him.

Wuerff is terribly underrated historically...

he was a winner...and a leader...his 4 SEC titles set him apart...

On the night of the ‘96 title, Corso referred to him as “the most courageous player in the history of college football...” sadgator will never forget it...and he was right...DW was a total bad ass...you could beat the shit out of him and he would keep getting up and picking you apart...

Wuerff is terribly underrated historically...

he was a winner...and a leader...his 4 SEC titles set him apart...

On the night of the ‘96 title, Corso referred to him as “the most courageous player in the history of college football...” sadgator will never forget it...and he was right...DW was a total bad ass...you could beat the shit out of him and he would keep getting up and picking you apart...
And one of the most sincerely good hearted people around. He walked and talked his faith as well as he threw the fade route. I had zero issues pulling for him when he went pro.

Off the rails yet again. This isn't about who the best QB at UF ever was, it's a Heisman comparison of all those that were deserving in their day and system.
Spurrier
Wuerffel
Tebow
Trask
ALL WERE/ARE WORTHY IMO.....

I haven't looked at the run/pass ratio but before I will proclaim Trask a better "college" QB than Danny I would like to see the breakdown as it seemed we were passing the ball on a lot more downs this season than the years with those QBs. Wouldn't surprise me if we had a run/pass ratio close to those Big 12/Pac 12 teams in recent years that had crazy numbers for QBs also. Could be wrong on that but it seemed that was the case to me watching us this year.
Alright Insta - I decided to actually crunch the numbers for 1996 and 2020 up to this point and in 1996 we passed the ball on 48% of the plays. In 2020 we have passed the ball on 57% of our plays.

Trask does have a great completion % but many of Trask's throws are shorter ones the receiver runs for yards after the catch while we know what Spurrier ran. Looks like yards per attempt were about the same.
To counter that, it takes pressure off of a QB to have a good running game.

It’s why I think you have the potential to be more balanced next season. If your starting QB can make good decisions you may be more dangerous offensively next year with a running game.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Off the rails yet again. This isn't about who the best QB at UF ever was, it's a Heisman comparison of all those that were deserving in their day and system.
Spurrier
Wuerffel
Tebow
Trask
ALL WERE/ARE WORTHY IMO.....
Best player on the best team. That’s pretty much how it goes most years.

It makes it harder to defend but these crazy pinball passing offenses that seemed to take off around 2007 or so show you can have crazy passing numbers without running the ball that much. I bet Leach's Washington State teams passed the ball 2/3 of the time. I guess a lot of the shorter stuff mixed in replaces the running game some.

I can tell you a story about a true freshman rb who basically won a national title by himself then lost the heisman to a back from South Carolina. The committee may make the claim but the award doesn't really go to the best player in college football. The 1980 heisman proved that. With that being said I believe Trask certainly deserves top 3 consideration. I think TLaw wins.

Jones is good but that guy also had an all star in Harris...that guy is a freaking beast. Bama isn't who they were this year without that guy in the backfield.

I can tell you a story about a true freshman rb who basically won a national title by himself then lost the heisman to a back from South Carolina. The committee may make the claim but the award doesn't really go to the best player in college football. The 1980 heisman proved that. With that being said I believe Trask certainly deserves top 3 consideration. I think TLaw wins.
That’s crazy. 1980! Man!!! That’s like 40 years ago. What’s even crazier is I can tell a stories from 2001, 2003, and 1999 about the best players being robbed of the trophy because of their ages and the awards given to careerists instead of the most deserving. But yeh, 1980. That’s wild how long ago that was. I mean was the Heisman Trophy presentation even televised back then? If so, was it in color?

Yes. Because if you don’t you’re the type that criticizes too hard while not accepting any of yourself.

Do people still feel the same after last night?

Last night shouldn’t matter either way. Florida has been carried by Trask all season long with no running game to speak of and a below average offensive line. Of course you add that and take away all his offensive weapons and put in youngsters who didn’t know which routes to run and who he has no chemistry with and that’s what happens.

Last night shouldn’t matter either way. Florida has been carried by Trask all season long with no running game to speak of and a below average offensive line. Of course you add that and take away all his offensive weapons and put in youngsters who didn’t know which routes to run and who he has no chemistry with and that’s what happens.
So then he didn’t carry them

About as many as you just played in your last game

Awww you don't remember Jamie Newman?

or what a big victory it was that Beck played Florida so he could get a Georgia offer?

where is Stetson getting drafted?

Guess it'll be "wait until Vandergriff takes the offense."

Awww you don't remember Jamie Newman?

or what a big victory it was that Beck played Florida so he could get a Georgia offer?

where is Stetson getting drafted?

Guess it'll be "wait until Vandergriff takes the offense."
You should probably just quit now, you’re looking dumber by the post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT