ADVERTISEMENT

Has Diwun Black Found a 2021 RB for the Florida Gators?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
"...Diwun Black, a top commit in the 2021 class, has shown relentless effort in recruiting other top targets to join Florida's haul.

Then came Tuesday evening, when Black started tagging all the UF coaches and putting them onto 2021 Jackson Prep running back Matt Jones (5-10, 170 lbs compare to Archie Griffin 5-9, 189 lbs - NOTE: Archie Griffin is the only 2 time Heisman Trophy winner)

According to MaxPreps, in his junior season, Jones toted the rock 202 times, resulting in 1504 rushing yards and 30 touchdowns. Jones averaged 7.4 yards a carry and 125 yards per game, which is impressive for playing some of the best competition in Mississippi. But that's not all, Jones also contributed five touchdowns and 201 receiving yards on only 14 touches.

Although Jones' film is quite impressive, the question is whether or not it will be good enough for the Florida staff. As we have figured out over the past two cycles, Mullen and Knox can be picky when it comes to taking his running backs. Just last season, the staff decided to overlook multiple prospects including Jaylen Knighton and Ashaad Clayton (until it was too late to matter).

However, if the coaches like the film of Jones, the Gators could have a fast-pass to a commitment from a 2021 running back after not landing one last cycle.

I'm not qualified to judge his coaching skills, but IMO, Greg Knox probably the worst recruiter on Florida's staff.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/florida-gators-matt-jones-2021-target-scouting-report

I'm not qualified to judge his coaching skills, but IMO, Greg Knox probably the worst recruiter on Florida's staff.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/florida-gators-matt-jones-2021-target-scouting-report

So you are claiming to be 'qualified' to judge Greg's recruiting abilities.... :cool:
Should we see your qualifications for that role, or just take your word on it? :rolleyes:

Greg Knox - RB's and Special Teams Dan chose to bring him from MsSt.

The Gators had three rushing plays of 75-plus yards in 2019, setting a single-season UF record (behind a very inconsistent OL).. Previously, the 1982 Gators and 2008 Gators held the record with 2 such plays within a season. :eek:

Additionally, this was the first time since 2008 that 4 different Gators – Perine, Pierce, Emory Jones and Kyle Trask – finished with at least 4 rushing touchdowns. ;)

With Knox’s guidance, Perine was also one of the nation's top dual-threat backs in 2019, as he finished with 938 scrimmage yards (676 rushing, 262 receiving) and 11 total touchdowns. Perine finished his career ranked ninth in career rushing and receiving yards, totaling 3,159 over four yea ~~ In the Orange Bowl, Perine was unstoppable, tallying 138 rushing yards and 43 receiving yards for 3 touchdowns. Perine’s explosive outing earned him Orange Bowl MVP honors.

In terms of Knox recruiting, he was the Auburn WR's and Recruiting Coordinator 1999-2008. And before that, at Ole Miss in 1996-98. o_O

Recruiting Classes at RB

2020 - Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 200 rsSo ***** - Miami, FL - U-Mia xfer

2019 - Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 195 rsFr **** - Miami, FL - June 27th

2018 - Dameon Pierce 5-10 207 Jr **** - Bainbridge, GA - Jan 8th EE
2018 - Iverson Clement 5-11 193 rsSo **** - Mount Holly, NJ - Jan 10th EE

2017 - Dan Mullen hired as UF's new HC - Nov 26th 2017.

He brought Greg Knox (among others) with him from MsSt. o_O

2017 - Malik Davis 5-11 190 rsJr **** - Tampa, FL - June 20th

I'm having trouble finding ANY fault with Greg Knox's, coaching-recruiting... :cool:
But then I'm not qualified to judge either his coaching or his recruiting, nor do I know what exactly Dan has him doing as to recruiting, so you could be correct... ;)

However, as to the RB in question, I'm 100% on board with taking him if he'll come.

Screw the no ranking no stars by the recruiting services, I like this kid,,, a lot! o_O

And if he commits to UF, then everyone owes a big THANK YOU to Diwun Black for helping to get him on board.

RB/FS Matt Jones 5-10 170 HS Jr.- Flowood, MS - 6A HS (room to grow & develop)
R - 202 for 1,504 yds, 7.4 ypc, 30 TD's
Rec - 14 for 201 yds, 14.4 yds/rec, 5 TD's
Total - 216 for 1,705 yds, 35 TD's.

A little more in depth, for any that might not know, or have forgotten.

RB/ST Malik Davis 5-11 195 rsJr - Tampa, FL
HS Senior - 215 for 2,469 yds, 11.5 ypc, 33 TD's.

Prior to UF - Prep Star All SE Region 2017 - FL 5-A All State Team
Record HS Career, 4 years, 3 Yr starter - 7.025 yds, 8.5 ypc, 83 TD's.
~ Clemson's Ray-Ray McCloud HS Career = 5,765 yds
~~ Dabo
attempted but failed to flip Malik away from his UF commit. :p

2017 Fr at UF
7 Games, 2 starts, injured out vs UGly for the rest of the season.
R - 79 for 526 yds, 6.7 ypc, 2 TD's
~ Despite the injury, he finished ranked 4th in UF’s history for the most net rushing yards by a true freshman since 1996, with 5 games of 90+ yds
~ Vs Vandy, along with his 127 yds, Davis became the 1st true Fr in the SEC to have 2 rushing TD's in a game
~ With only 6 full games and 2 starts,(injured out in Gm 7), he still Ranked 3rd in the SEC for most net rushing yards by a true freshman…
Before the shut-down, Dan was expecting a now fully recovered Davis to bust out again.
=====

RB/ST Dameon Pierce 5-10 207 Jr - Bainbridge, GA
HS Senior - 227 for 2,123 yds, 9.4 ypc, 32 TD's.

His 4 Yr HS Career - 6,779 yds, 92 TD's for 5A
On October 20th of his Sr season, he passed Herschel Walker on GHSAA’s All-Time career rushing yards list
At UF, a top quality backup for starters Jordan Scarlett / Panthers & Lamical Perine / Jets.
=====

RB/FS/ST Iverson Clement 5-11 193 rsSo ****
Not the gaudy HS numbers that Davis and Pierce had, but see his offer list:
UF--UK-TN--Bay-BC-Mary-Mich-MichSt-Minn-Neb-NC-tOSU-PSU-VaT-Wis, etc
=====

RB Nay'Quan Wright 5-9 195 rsFr **** - Miami, FL
Helped Carol City win the 2016 FHSAA Class 6A State Championship, tallying 109 yards and scoring 2 TD's in the state title game. Early in the 2018 season he rushed for 163 and a TD in a win over American Heritage, ending the Patriots’ 28-game winning streak.
Offers: UF--UA-UGly-LSU-TN--FSU-UL-Mia-MichSt-Neb-ND-WVa-Wis-etc....
=====

Now throw in Lorenzo Lingard 6-0 200 4.27/40 rsSo ***** - Miami, FL

The Gator's RB 'assembly-line' looks rock solid to me, for 2020 and for the near future. The steady flow of UF RB's to the NFL continues unabated... ;)

Mullen has proven that he can fill the holes that we need and use what we have to be successful.

GN79,

Agree that in most cases Mullen has been able to change his schemes or to attract quality transfers at positions where we did not recruit as well as we wanted (or in case of RB didn't recruit at all).

However, nothing is 100%; changing schemes & filling in the holes through transfers doesn't always work fast enough.

Case in point - Brenton Cox transferred from UGA, but did not get waiver for immediate eligibility.& when Greenard & Zuniga were injured - at worst possible time - LSU & UGA games; Cox not able to step in & play..

Even his Sign & Place strategy (if it truly was by design - LOL !) with Black & Hammond looks like it may actually pay off.

IMO, better to recruit quality Blue Chip players at the start of their college careers, than to scramble around later filling perceived holes.

An imperfect world but Mullen the best UF Head Coach in a long while !

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
GN79,

Agree that in most cases Mullen has been able to change his schemes or to attract quality transfers at positions where we did not recruit as well as we wanted (or in case of RB didn't recruit at all).

However, nothing is 100%; changing schemes & filling in the holes through transfers doesn't always work fast enough.

Case in point - Brenton Cox transferred from UGA, but did not get waiver for immediate eligibility.& when Greenard & Zuniga were injured - at worst possible time - LSU & UGA games; Cox not able to step in & play..

Even his Sign & Place strategy (if it truly was by design - LOL !) with Black & Hammond looks like it may actually pay off.

IMO, better to recruit quality Blue Chip players at the start of their college careers, than to scramble around later filling perceived holes.

No RB's at all??? --- Come on Jeffie.... :rolleyes:
What do you call a 2019 4 star RB that was also offered by Saban, among others?
The Wright guy.... And then you add in a 2020 5 star rsSo xfer from Miami with a 4.27/40. The RB Room now has 5 SEC quality RB's in it for the 2020 season. Seems fast enough to me. o_O

WDE/BUCK Jonathan Greenard *** - NFL
WDE/BUCK Moon- Diabate-Bogle-Summerall III + Cox in 2020
Diabate/Bogle Combined
- 32 Tkl's, 6 sac, 28 QBP as true Fr backups. :eek:
Cox not playing was not a big deal, as the Gator D was still in the Top 10 again.
-----
SDE Jabari Zuniga *** - NFL
SDE/DT Zachary Carter **** rsSo, now 6-4 287 (up from 264) as a rsJr
2019 - 30 Tkl's, 4.5 sac, 20 QBP as the SDE backup.
SDE Chatfield Jr **** rsFr
HS Sr - 92 Tkl's, 25 TFL, 14 sac's, 2 Int's, 1 FF, 1 FR, + 2 Def TD's.
FNG #5 DE Antwaun Powell 6-2 235.****
FNG #20 DE Princely Umanmielen 6-3 260 ****

They are putting 3 stars in the NFL while replacing them with 4-5 stars. :cool:

LB/Buck Black comes back as the #! rated JuCo in the Nation.
OG Hammond comes back as the #2 OG in the nation, #14 JuCo player.
So yeah, both will be very solid additions to the 2021 class. o_O

From a 4-7 season with average recruiting to 10+ wins with NY-6 Bowl wins.
The recruiting classes have improved every year as the Staff and team stabilize.
Mullen is already recognized at the #2 HC in the SEC and a Top 5 in the nation.

Do you even know how many 4-5 star blue chip players that Dan has signed so far?

GN79,

I get it but even Spurrier didn't fill every hole all the time...Meyer either....think those guys are Bush League? We're getting blue chippers...have you been in a coma?

I get it but even Spurrier didn't fill every hole all the time...Meyer either....think those guys are Bush League? We're getting blue chippers...have you been in a coma?

mid you look at the threads that Jeff has started, he seems to have a serious fear about our running back situation.

mid you look at the threads that Jeff has started, he seems to have a serious fear about our running back situation.

Danny,

You are correct ! Anyone with a brain, should also have these fears !

The FACTS speak for themselves.The past is the best predictor of the future.

In 2019, Gators ranked 13th out of 14 teams in SEC in rushing yards; only Vanderbilt was worse !
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/stat/rushing/group/8

For 2020, our top 4 returning RBs have 463 yards & 5 TDs between them.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4360238/dameon-pierce

Lingard has never taken a snap for the Gators & like Malik Davis, is coming off a severe injury.

Without Spring Practice, all anyone has is their undocumented opinion on our RBs & our whole team !

Running game has two components - RB & OL.
Not reasonable to malign RBs when OL key to making a RB look good. Even Emmitt, Jim Brown, & Herschel needed a quality OL.

Last year, for whatever reason, we could pass block against most teams, but our run blocking was sub par !

Replacing 4 starters along the OL tends to do that..

We mocked FSU for being unable to recruit a QB, but our RB recruiting on similar shaky ground.

Everyone talks about Mullen's spread offense needing a strong run game - from both the RBs & the QB.

Since we didn't have that running game, we became an SOS type drop back passing team - IT WORKED !

While we broke a few long runs at odd times, overall we didn't have that solid run game that could get the tough yards when we needed them.so Mullen had to & did scheme around this lack.

Though he recorded a few running TDs, few people would call Trask a Dual Threat QB - SO WHAT !

Mullen's ability to win with Trask, a pure vanilla drop back passer, is a measure of Trask's talent, Mullen's adaptability as an offensive coach, & last year's deep WR room.

With this Pandemic & lack of Spring practice everyone has an opinion, but no one really knows how or if CFB will play out come the fall.

Last edited:
We're good at that position, we have something other teams don't...a great scheme and one of the best game callers in the industry. Hopefully it will work. I just want to watch it happen.

Danny,

You are correct ! Anyone with a brain, should also have these fears !

The FACTS speak for themselves.The past is the best predictor of the future.

In 2019, Gators ranked 13th out of 14 teams in SEC in rushing yards; only Vanderbilt was worse !
https://www.espn.com/college-football/stats/team/_/stat/rushing/group/8

For 2020, our top 4 returning RBs have 463 yards & 5 TDs between them.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/4360238/dameon-pierce

Last year, for whatever reason, we could pass block against most teams, but our run blocking was sub par !

We mocked FSU for being unable to recruit a QB, but our RB recruiting on similar shaky ground.

Everyone talks about Mullen's spread offense needing a strong run game - from both the RBs & the QB.

Since we didn't have that running game, we became an SOS type drop back passing team - IT WORKED !

While we broke a few long runs at odd times, overall we didn't have that solid run game that could get the tough yards when we needed them.so Mullen had to & did scheme around this lack.

Though he recorded a few running TDs, few people would call Trask a Dual Threat QB - SO WHAT !

Mullen's ability to win with Trask, a pure vanilla drop back passer, is a measure of Trask's talent, Mullen's adaptability as an offensive coach, & last year's deep WR room.

With this Pandemic & lack of Spring practice everyone has an opinion, but no one really knows how or if CFB will play out come the fall.

Gator's 2019 Rushing Stats:
UF - 398, for total 1,956 yds, 4.9 ypc, TD's 21
Opp - 419 for total 1,784 yds, 4.2 ypc, TD's 9

While that's not a great running game, it was not the total disaster that some believe it was. And with the expected better OL run blocking for 2020, it should be improved with better consistency.

The Gator OL run blocking was INCONSISTENT, not sub-par imoho, unless you meant to say that their inconsistency made them sub-par...

Mullens/staff RB recruiting has been this: (Dan hired Nov 17th 2017)

2018 - Daemon Pierce **** Offers from Saban and others
2018 - Iverson Clement **** Offers from tOSU, Mich, Wis, etc
2019 - Nay'Quan Wright **** Offers from Saban and others
2020 - Lorenzo Lingard ***** Offers from everybody....
Shaky ground??? What are you smoking? :confused:

Mullen's 2019 spread-option offense was not the SOS Fun & Gun offense.
Claiming that Trask can't run the ball is just ignorant of what he did in HS, and what he's done as the Gator QB. While he's not Tebow, he can and does run effectively when needed.

The Gators had 7 players with double digit runs, with a total of 16 that got a carry.
Sr starter Perine only had 132 of the total 398 runs. The departed Sr WR's only had 11 of those 398. There is plenty of experienced runners still on the roster for 2020. And those departed Sr's only accounted for 7 of the 21 rushing TD's.

As to the rushing TD's:
Perine = 6 ----- Pierce = 4 ----- Trask = 4 ----- Jones = 4
Of the Top 2 RB's and Top 2 QB's -- That's 6 TD's gone with 12 TD's returning.

Dan's 2019 team broke a UF record for season, long rushing TD's :eek:

Even when there's no hoax pandemic, nobody ever 'knows' how any season will turn out, and that's why we have a 'talking season' to speculate on things... :cool:

No joke, we have guys and a previous 5 star we just brought in. Can they block, catch the ball and run/break tackles...we're going to find out...I think we'll see Pierce and Davis at first but the kid from MIA might be a stud. I like our roster.

GN79,

Even if Run Game is only average, Mullen's version of Fun & Gun & a better defense will work against most teams !

What happens with LSU & UGA ? Time will tell !

FWIW USA Today has this article -

How do the SEC's 2020 presumed starting running backs compare? Here's our rankings
https://gatorswire.usatoday.com/lis...ing-running-backs-compare-heres-our-rankings/

They see Lingard taking the starting spot; rank him 7th in SEC.

Last edited:
No one guy can do it all, so I look at the position rooms where several guys add up to all of the desirable abilities for that position. Dan's team uses committees and constant competition at every position for starts and for number of game snaps. I agree with it. The fact that he gives all of the QB's time with the 1st team in practice is big.

QB Room = Excellent+
RB Room = Excellent
WR Room = Excellent
TE Room = Excellent+
OL Room = Getting there with talent and depth

DT Room = Excellent
DE Room = Excellent
BUCK = Excellent+
CB Room = Excellent
S Room = Getting there with talent and depth
STAR = Getting there with talent and unknowns.

K = Outstanding+
P = Excellent, FNG
Coverage = Expecting Excellence
Return = Unknown but expecting Excellence

"Jeff has started, he seems to have a serious fear about our running back situation."

Danny Gator 1989,
Still True ! & I am not the only one with that fear !

"...I'm not qualified to judge his coaching skills, but IMO, Greg Knox probably the worst recruiter on Florida's staff."

I made that statement about 2 weeks ago, & I stand by it now.

I offer another, more knowledgeable, opinion - Andrew Spivey of Gator Country

"...Singles: AS – I would love to know your feeling on RB recruiting. Do you feel we are in a tough spot after this year? I know a lot of us feel this is a real head scratcher of a position for recruiting.
Has it just been a product of bad luck with recruits or is it the position coach?

Please let us know your thoughts. Thanks!

AS: I think it’s combination of both, I think it has been some bad luck with recruits as guys like Trey Sanders and DeMarkcus Bowman showed interest for awhile and then dipped to other big programs during their senior years.
Now you can’t blame bad luck fully and some of it has to lay on the feet on the recruiter.
Something has to change here as the depth will eventually run out and the
Gators have only signed one high school running back during Mullen’s time in Gainesville."

Dhainer24:
In regards to RB recruiting, I posted this in a different thread, and Les Also mentioned something similar in the latest Les is more…in 2021 we could be looking at 2 scholarship RBs, Lingard and Wright. Clement is a transfer possibility, Pierce could go pro if he becomes “the guy”, and who knows about Davis. He could grad transfer to a smaller school so he could be “the guy”, especially if a healthy Lingard passes him.

so I guess my question is two parts: 1. How can the staff not want a RB? And 2. Do they know something we don’t about these guys sticking around?

AS: This has been my position all along is that Florida could go from having depth to not having much at all in a year’s time. Lingard and Pierce are the guy expected to carry the load this year and with a good year could easily jump to the league and like you said others could leave the program. I think the staff is taking a huge chance by not taking a back this year but they believe in the depth they have. Now if it looks like depth will be an issue, maybe they circle back to some plan B’s later in the process.

2021 Jackson Prep running back Matt Jones (5-10, 170 lbs)

According to MaxPreps, in his junior season, Jones toted the rock 202 times, resulting in 1504 rushing yards and 30 touchdowns. Jones averaged 7.4 yards a carry and 125 yards per game, which is impressive for playing some of the best competition in Mississippi. But that's not all, Jones also contributed five touchdowns and 201 receiving yards on only 14 touches.

https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/florida-gators-recruiting-mailbag-july-13th-edition-2/

Last edited:
"Do they know something we don’t about these guys sticking around?"

Bingo!

If Pierce and Lingard go, then the others will not xfer out as they would then be the guys.

About Jackson, I mentioned weeks ago that I'd love to have him on the roster, and with Black recruiting him hard, that looks like a real possibility for the Gators.

To me, if the position coach is good at that job, then other recruiters can pick up any recruiting slack.

Oh woe is me said the under-rated Gator RB... :rolleyes:

Jordan Scarlett >> 2018 rsJr drafted to the NFL
Lamical Perine >> 2019 Sr drafted to the NFL
-----
WR/RB Kadarius Toney Sr *** -- 'The Human Joystick'
RB Malik Davis rsJr **** - has battled back from injury
RB Dameon Pierce Jr **** - projected starter
RB/FS Iverson Clement rsSo **** - considered portal-depth chart, but he stayed, re-recruited again.
RB Lorenco Lingard rsSo ***** - Miami xfer - we'll see
RB Nay'Quan Wright rsFr **** - see his offer list, it includes Saban & Smart
(PLUS all are solid in town and in the classroom) o_O

Damn, the poor Gators don't have a single decent RB on the roster, which proves terrible recruiting.... :confused:
Mullen kept both Pierce and Clement when McLame got fired, They were re-recruited by Dan & Knox. o_O

WTF are some of you people yapping about???
There are actually no openings in the Gators current 5 RB room.
And only hybrid Toney will be out of eligibility after the 2020 season.
How many RB's do your want on roster at one time?
How many 5 stars want to come to an already full room? :oops:

https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/florida-gators-2022-running-back-damari-alston-leader
=====

I'd be pretty happy to get these 2 on the Gator's roster.

2021 RB Matt Jones 5-10 170 - Flowood, MS
2019 HS Jr - 1,504 yds, 30 TD's, Rec 201 yds, 5 TD's.
Being recruited by MS JuCo Diwun Black from a MS HS.

2022 RB Damari Alston 5-11 205 4.43/40 (HS Soph) - Atlanta, Ga
https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/florida-gators-2022-running-back-damari-alston-leader

Worry is a waste, over something that may never happen... :cool:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT