ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Insurrection Day !!!!

RayGravesGhost

Bull Gator
Jun 13, 2021
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...ed-trump-overturn-election-presidential-medal
All I did was testify’: Republican who defied Trump will get presidential medal
Rusty Bowers is one of 12 people who took risks to protect US democracy who will be honored on anniversary of January 6

4318.jpg

Rusty Bowers, the former top Republican in Arizona’s house of representatives who stood up to Donald Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 presidential election and was punished for it by being unseated by his own party, is to receive America’s second-highest civilian honor on Friday.

Bowers will be among 12 people who will be awarded the Presidential Citizens Medal by Joe Biden at the White House at a ceremony to mark the second anniversary of the 6 January 2021 insurrection at the US Capitol. It will be the first time that the president has presented the honor, which is reserved for those who have “performed exemplary deeds of service for their country or their fellow citizens”.

All 12 took exceptional personal risks to protect US democracy against Trump’s onslaught. Many are law enforcement officers who confronted the Capitol rioters, others are election workers and officials in key battleground states who refused to be bullied into subverting the outcome of the presidential race.

Several of the recipients paid a huge personal price for their actions. Brian Sicknick will receive the presidential medal posthumously – he died the day after the insurrection having suffered a stroke; a medical examiner later found he died from natural causes, while noting that the events of January 6 had “played a role in his condition”.

Bowers’ award, first reported by the Deseret News, came after he refused effectively to ignore the will of Arizona’s 3.4 million voters and switch victory from Biden to Trump. As a result, he incurred the wrath of Trump, who endorsed a rival candidate in last year’s Republican primary elections.

Reactions: Mdfgator
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/first-trial-of-capitol-rioters-ends-with-conviction-all-counts
First trial of Capitol rioters ends with conviction all counts
Politics Updated on Mar 8, 2022 6:55 PM EST — Published on Mar 8, 2022 2:34 PM EST

2022-02-28T162852Z_1049049920_RC24TS9Q6K9B_RTRMADP_3_USA-CAPITOL-REFFITT-1200x806.jpg

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Texas man was convicted on Tuesday of storming the U.S. Capitol with a holstered handgun, a milestone victory for federal prosecutors in the first trial among hundreds of cases arising from last year’s riot.

A jury also convicted Guy Wesley Reffitt of obstructing Congress’ joint session to certify the Electoral College vote on Jan. 6, 2021, of interfering with police officers who were guarding the Capitol and of threatening his two teenage children if they reported him to law enforcement after the attack. Jurors deliberated about three hours and convicted him on all counts.

The verdict could be a bellwether for many other Capitol riot cases. It could give Justice Department prosecutors more leverage in plea negotiations and discourage other defendants from gambling on trials of their own.

Gregg Sofer, a former federal prosecutor who served as U.S. attorney for the Western District of Texas from October 2020 to February 2021, said before Reffitt’s trial started that it would be “the canary in the coal mine.”

“If you’re a defendant awaiting trial at this point, the canary just died,” said Sofer, now a partner at the law firm Husch Blackwell. “I do think it is likely to affect people’s perceptions about the likelihood of their success.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/06/us/politics/trump-lawsuit-brian-sicknick.html
Trump Is Sued in Death of Capitol Police Officer After Jan. 6
The suit in the death of Brian D. Sicknick seeks millions in damages from the former president, whom it paints as responsible for the violence that day, and two Capitol rioters.

In her suit, Sandra Garza, who as Officer Sicknick’s longtime partner is a representative of his estate, painted Mr. Trump as culpable both broadly for the violence on Jan. 6 and specifically for Officer Sicknick’s death. The suit cited the conclusions of the House committee that investigated the Jan. 6 attack, saying that the panel “made a number of criminal referrals” against Mr. Trump “based on its finding of ‘sufficient evidence of one or more potential violations,’” including inciting an insurrection.

Mr. Trump is facing an array of civil suits arguing that he is liable for major financial damages for his role in the events surrounding the Jan. 6 attack. A federal judge in February allowed three civil suits against Mr. Trump to move forward. The case is currently being appealed.

Wait, I thought they were all invited in? What did they need metal poles and bear spray for? Those cops must be lying.

Happy Insurrection Day you antiAmerican traitors.

Reactions: RayGravesGhost
LOL….. posting Meidas Touch videos.

I knew you would be all over this, on this day of all days. It was a riot, not an insurrection. The only gunfire was that of a government goon shooting an unarmed protester.
The pictures and words don’t lie.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pro-trump-protester-ray-epps-202726547.html
Pro-Trump protester Ray Epps told Jan. 6 committee 'crazy' conspiracy theories tore apart his life
Ryan J. Reilly
December 29, 2022·5 min read

WASHINGTON — An Arizona man who became the target of online conspiracy theories after he joined protesters outside the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, told a House committee that he wasn't secretly working for the government during the attack and that the campaign against him has torn his life apart.

Epps told the Jan. 6 committee that the wasn't working for the CIA or the National Security Agency or the Washington Metropolitan Police Department. “The only time I’ve been involved with the government was when I was a Marine in the United States Marine Corps," Epps said.

The theory that Epps was working for the FBI never made much sense, given that his image landed on an FBI poster immediately after the attack.

In his interview with the Jan. 6 committee, Epps explains a text he sent to his nephew at 2:12 p.m. on Jan. 6 saying he was upfront and had "orchestrated" things. He says he didn't know what was happening. At that moment, a rioter was smashing in a window to the Capitol, but Epps said he was no longer at the Capitol complex.

"At that point, I didn't know that they were breaking into the Capitol," he said. "I didn't know anybody was in the Capitol. ... I was on my way back to the hotel room."

Even after having told the committee how conspiracy theories had torn his life apart, Epps continued to repeat other unfounded claims about the 2020 election, among them that "antifa" infiltrated the mob.

Epps specifically pointed to Republican Reps. Thomas Massie of Kentucky, Matt Gaetz of Florida and Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia as members who spread lies about him.

The POS who organized the insurrection part of trump's coup plan claims to be the victim... :rolleyes:

They should stick this terrorist in Guantanamo

'How many FBI agents or confidential informants actively participated in the events of January 6th?' Cruz asked the FBI's Executive Assistant Director of the National Security Branch Jill Sanborn during a hearing on domestic violence threats on Tuesday.

'I can't answer that,' said Sanborn, who joined the hearing virtually.

'Did any FBI agents or confidential informants commit crimes of violence on January 6?' Cruz pushed.

'I can't answer that.'

'Did any FBI agents or FBI informants actively encourage and incite crimes of violence on January 6?' the Texas Republican senator asked.

Sanborn repeated the same answer for a third time.

longcat.gif

Clinton showed up to the congressional investigation to answer questions...trump not so much

Checkmate !!!

Clinton showed up to the congressional investigation to answer questions...trump not so much

Checkmate !!!

So excuses are better? Or saying it happened so long ago who cares?

Weird flex but OK.

There's that "but what about" again.

BTDubs Trump's refusal to talk has dick to do with Clinton's dereliction of duty or Obama's claim that they thought that they thought they were "dealing with an angry mob." I totally get that it's Libya but if the Jan 6th crew had sustained mortar and heavy machine gun support Trump would still be President.

Reactions: nail1988
'How many FBI agents or confidential informants actively participated in the events of January 6th?' Cruz asked the FBI's Executive Assistant Director of the National Security Branch Jill Sanborn during a hearing on domestic violence threats on Tuesday.

'I can't answer that,' said Sanborn, who joined the hearing virtually.

'Did any FBI agents or confidential informants commit crimes of violence on January 6?' Cruz pushed.

'I can't answer that.'

'Did any FBI agents or FBI informants actively encourage and incite crimes of violence on January 6?' the Texas Republican senator asked.

Sanborn repeated the same answer for a third time.

longcat.gif
Huh. What was she hiding?

So excuses are better? Or saying it happened so long ago who cares?

Testifying under oath is better than not testifying...isn't it?

Weird flex but OK.

Upholding your oath as a public servant is a "weird flex"...I guess it is to maga republicans

There's that "but what about" again.

You mean bringing up Clinton & Benghazi when we're talking about Jan 6

Yeah....that was some nice "whataboutism" on your part

BTDubs Trump's refusal to talk has dick to do with Clinton's dereliction of duty or Obama's claim that they thought that they thought they were "dealing with an angry mob." I totally get that it's Libya but if the Jan 6th crew had sustained mortar and heavy machine gun support Trump would still be President.

Now you need to add Obama too? 🤣
Anyone else that has NOTHING to do with trump's criminality you want to reference?

If you didn't know...you don't have to be successful in a coup attempt to be guilty of the crime
By its very nature ONLY unsuccessful ones are prosecuted...

But it is good to see you admit trump was trying one but simply didn't have the firepower

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/16/us-capitol-riot-police-neo-nazis-far-right
US Capitol riot: police have long history of aiding neo-Nazis and extremists

Experts were not surprised that officers were part of the mob, given the ties between some police and white supremacist groups in recent years

For years, domestic terrorism researchers have warned that there are police departments in every region of America counting white supremacist extremists and neo-Nazi sympathizers among their ranks.

To these experts, and the activists who have been targeted by law enforcement officers in past years, it came as no surprise that police officers were part of the mob that stormed the US Capitol on 6 January. In fact, the acceptance of far-right beliefs among law enforcement, they say, helped lay the groundwork for the extraordinary attacks in the American capital.

In the days since the attack, which left five people dead and caused lawmakers to hide in fear for their lives, investigations have revealed that a wide range of US law enforcement personnel were represented in the crowd. News reports and other inquiries have identified roughly 30 sworn members of police agencies from more than 12 different states who were present at the Capitol, according to criminal justice news site, the Appeal.

So far, several on-duty Capitol police officers have been suspended for allegedly supporting rioters, and two off-duty Virginia officers were arrested after boasting on social media about breaching the Capitol. A Houston officer caught inside the building has since resigned, and the police departments of New York City, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, Philadelphia and other cities are investigating whether their employees attended.

“These are people who we give guns to, who get specialized training, who have access to sensitive information,” said Vida B Johnson, Georgetown University law professor and expert on policing, “and they took part in a plan to undo the votes for the democratically elected president.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT