ADVERTISEMENT

Greg McElroy Says Nick Saban Is Under Pressure Entering 2023

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL

Saban not getting any younger. Interesting to see how things work out for Saban & Bama as both Coordinators move on.

Report: Bill O'Brien 'primary' target for Patriots offensive coordinator job​

The marriage between Alabama and Bill O’Brien seems to be over. With the offensive coordinator’s contract expiring, he is not expected back in Tuscaloosa for a third season. Instead, the NFL seems to be knocking once again — with a familiar face reportedly wanting O’Brien back.

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama...-obrien-primary-target-offensive-coordinator/

Defensive Coordinator Pete Golding is Leaving Alabama​

Golding has served on Nick Saban's coaching staff since 2018.

There will be a new face in charge of Alabama football's defense next season, as ESPN senior writer Chris Low reported defensive coordinator Pete Golding will leave Tuscaloosa to take the same position at Ole Miss.

BamaCentral has confirmed the report, and that Golding is expected to receive a three-year deal worth more than $2 million annually on Lane Kiffin's coaching staff.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/defensive-coordinator-pete-golding-is-leaving-alabama

Report: Alabama to hire Southern Miss defensive coordinator Austin Armstrong to staff​

Armstrong is no stranger to the SEC. He served as a defensive quality control coach at Georgia under Kirby Smart in 2019 before heading to Louisiana as inside linebackers coach. That was his second stint with the Ragin’ Cajuns after he worked there as a graduate assistant from 2017-18.

In addition to the defensive coordinator position and inside linebacker coach roles which opened up on Friday, Alabama has an opening for a safeties coach after associate defensive coordinator Charles Kelly left to join Deion Sanders’ staff at Colorado.

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama...oordinator-austin-armstrong-staff-nick-saban/

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. Curmudgeon
Is Jeremy Pruitt still under a show cause? I looked it up yesterday and couldn't find anything definitive about what his deal is.

I would assume, after 2 years, he'd be their top choice for DC.

Also don't count out Major Applewhite as OC. Currently OCing at South Alabama and has plenty of Bama and Saban ties.

Also crazy that he's somehow still only 44 years old.

Is Jeremy Pruitt still under a show cause? I looked it up yesterday and couldn't find anything definitive about what his deal is.

Also don't count out Major Applewhite as OC. Currently OCing at South Alabama and has plenty of Bama and Saban ties.

I always remember how Simms got the starts but once they were losing Applewhite would be sent in and bail them out playing awesome and put them back in the lead......week after week.....but they would keep starting Simms each game.

Reactions: Gator Fever
Bama "Volunteer Coaches" Banned in every sport

The Division I Council voted to ban volunteer coaches in every sport, as they will be reclassified as full-time assistants. The number of countable coaches in baseball, softball and ice hockey will increase to four total in each sport, and basketball, men's and women's, will have an increase of two coaches each.

These additional coaches may engage in coaching activities but may not recruit off campus.

(So how do you think those volunteer coaches got by financially all these years? But I digress.)

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/...k-saban-alabama-basketball-ncaa-all-things-cw

• Haha
Reactions: instaGATOR
Dan Mullen could possibly get a look here too as OC!!
Mullen's ego will not allow him to take a demotion to OC.

As for Saban, I would not count him out despite his age. He was always known for building a great staff everywhere he landed.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

Danny,

I could not find info about a show cause order against him, but here is what the Tuscaloosa News had to say about Pruitt & his wife Casey -

"...On Jan. 18, 2021, Tennessee fired Pruitt from his job as head coach for cause. The school alleged serious recruiting violations against him. The NCAA alleged 18 Level 1 violations, the most serious, from 2018-21 against Pruitt, his wife Casey Pruitt, several members of his coaching and recruiting staff as well as at least one booster.

This remains unresolved two years later, and there’s not a certain timetable as to when it will be resolved."
https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/stor...nator-ncaa-violations-nick-saban/69809101007/

Only 44. Damn.

I remember whining like a child when he was mentioned as being Muschamps OC a decade ago

Watching this play out with saban....I've seen this movie before. I watched this with Bowden. I can see it starting to slip through his fingers, he may have another run but he doesn't have the edge he used to. Still a great coach, can still win. Title but I think you can see the end.

Reactions: Capt Ron 1
Watching this play out with saban....I've seen this movie before. I watched this with Bowden. I can see it starting to slip through his fingers, he may have another run but he doesn't have the edge he used to. Still a great coach, can still win. Title but I think you can see the end.

I know it didn't officially drop off big time until after the records did but Bowden wasn't getting top classes at the end there. Unless Bama gets a few years here where their top classes aren't translating into the normal NFL talent I don't see them dropping way off. Maybe it's possible if the TX schools start being top contenders in this NIL world.

Reactions: gatordad3
I know it didn't officially drop off big time until after the records did but Bowden wasn't getting top classes at the end there. Unless Bama gets a few years here where their top classes aren't translating into the normal NFL talent I don't see them dropping way off. Maybe it's possible if the TX schools start being top contenders in this NIL world.
Unlike Bowden, Saban won much more championships as well as fielding well disciplined teams. Mickey Andrews pretty much avoided another 3 titles at FSU. Andrews also had that reputation(discipline issues) while at UF as a secondary coach.

If there's another thing that Saban is great at, it's building a coaching staff from scratch. Hell, not one assistant followed him to LSU the day he left Michigan State.

We did really good until mid 2000s, the decline is slow. I remember the class with Lorenzo Booker had about 6 five stars in it and most were busts. I think he's at the beginning stages of the decline, I'm not writing him off or anything and could even see him winning another title but Kirby has passed him

Reactions: Gator Fever
We did really good until mid 2000s, the decline is slow. I remember the class with Lorenzo Booker had about 6 five stars in it and most were busts. I think he's at the beginning stages of the decline, I'm not writing him off or anything and could even see him winning another title but Kirby has passed him

We had the top class on paper I think with Meyers last class right before we fell off which were mostly busts but I wonder if that was due to being overrated for Meyer taking them. Same might have been true for FSU. With a 12 team playoff coming competing for one won't be a deterrant for Saban but he might decide after winning another one or not getting one for a few years it's time to go.

Describe the end for Saban? With the way they recruit they aren’t going to fall that far off. Yes maybe they won’t be winning national titles every year but I’m sure they will be in the playoffs.

Reactions: gatordad3
NIL and portal will most likely chase off Saban. Legal to buy players now then add in all those 5 stars he kept on the bench can leave which will impact his depth. In my opinion they will still be dangerous the next 2-3 years....

Reactions: instaGATOR

Greg McElroy Says Nick Saban Is Under Pressure Entering 2023​

McElroy continued, explaining that he feels Saban often times avoids bearing the bulk of the pressure, which is instead often placed on Alabama’s various high-profile assistants. However, after missing the Playoff and seeing conference rival Georgia win a second straight national title, the former Crimson Tide signal-caller thinks the seven-time champ will feel the heat a bit more.

“I think that there will be pressure, yes. I’d be lying if I didn’t think that to be true, but I also think the pressure seldom falls on Nick Saban,” McElroy said. “He’s kind of got a get out of jail free card—no matter what. All the attention and pressure and blame goes to the coordinators. You look back over the course of time, he’s won consistently forever. But if you look back over the course of time, people are constantly pointing to, ‘Bill O’Brien’s got to go. Pete Golding’s got to go. Lane Kiffin’s got to go. Mike Locksley’s got to go. Jim McElwain’s got to go. Doug Nussmeier’s got to go.’

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/...l-pressure-entering-2023-greg-mcelroy-podcast

It will hit his ego a bit if Smart wins 3 in a row. Showing it isn't that crazy if you are getting classes like that every year.

Greg McElroy Says Nick Saban Is Under Pressure Entering 2023​

McElroy continued, explaining that he feels Saban often times avoids bearing the bulk of the pressure, which is instead often placed on Alabama’s various high-profile assistants. However, after missing the Playoff and seeing conference rival Georgia win a second straight national title, the former Crimson Tide signal-caller thinks the seven-time champ will feel the heat a bit more.

“I think that there will be pressure, yes. I’d be lying if I didn’t think that to be true, but I also think the pressure seldom falls on Nick Saban,” McElroy said. “He’s kind of got a get out of jail free card—no matter what. All the attention and pressure and blame goes to the coordinators. You look back over the course of time, he’s won consistently forever. But if you look back over the course of time, people are constantly pointing to, ‘Bill O’Brien’s got to go. Pete Golding’s got to go. Lane Kiffin’s got to go. Mike Locksley’s got to go. Jim McElwain’s got to go. Doug Nussmeier’s got to go.’

https://www.si.com/college/2023/01/...l-pressure-entering-2023-greg-mcelroy-podcast
Off season talk...Saban isn't going anywhere. Lose a few coaches...he'll get more. Guys still is getting players and Bama is one of the primo spots in county. All of the top players want to be there. Saban isn't 'falling off' like many are suggesting. If he wants he has another 5 years on top.

Dude was terrible and sucked ass
The guy has an NFL pension. He can’t be that bad. He was misused by Jeff Bowden. Should have had 100+ receptions a year.

If you want to see where the divide with Bowden happened. Look at the 2006 ESPN 300. We had more five star players than UF.

Ours were Myron Rolle, Marcus Ball, and Brandon Warren.

UF got Percy Harvey and Tim Tebow.

Saban not getting any younger. Interesting to see how things work out for Saban & Bama as both Coordinators move on.

Report: Bill O'Brien 'primary' target for Patriots offensive coordinator job​

The marriage between Alabama and Bill O’Brien seems to be over. With the offensive coordinator’s contract expiring, he is not expected back in Tuscaloosa for a third season. Instead, the NFL seems to be knocking once again — with a familiar face reportedly wanting O’Brien back.

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama...-obrien-primary-target-offensive-coordinator/

Defensive Coordinator Pete Golding is Leaving Alabama​

Golding has served on Nick Saban's coaching staff since 2018.

There will be a new face in charge of Alabama football's defense next season, as ESPN senior writer Chris Low reported defensive coordinator Pete Golding will leave Tuscaloosa to take the same position at Ole Miss.

BamaCentral has confirmed the report, and that Golding is expected to receive a three-year deal worth more than $2 million annually on Lane Kiffin's coaching staff.

https://www.si.com/college/alabama/bamacentral/defensive-coordinator-pete-golding-is-leaving-alabama

Report: Alabama to hire Southern Miss defensive coordinator Austin Armstrong to staff​

Armstrong is no stranger to the SEC. He served as a defensive quality control coach at Georgia under Kirby Smart in 2019 before heading to Louisiana as inside linebackers coach. That was his second stint with the Ragin’ Cajuns after he worked there as a graduate assistant from 2017-18.

In addition to the defensive coordinator position and inside linebacker coach roles which opened up on Friday, Alabama has an opening for a safeties coach after associate defensive coordinator Charles Kelly left to join Deion Sanders’ staff at Colorado.

https://www.on3.com/college/alabama...oordinator-austin-armstrong-staff-nick-saban/
Works for me.

The guy has an NFL pension. He can’t be that bad. He was misused by Jeff Bowden. Should have had 100+ receptions a year.

If you want to see where the divide with Bowden happened. Look at the 2006 ESPN 300. We had more five star players than UF.

Ours were Myron Rolle, Marcus Ball, and Brandon Warren.

UF got Percy Harvey and Tim Tebow.

And only 2 of those 5 were actual 5 stars..... neither was on our team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT