ADVERTISEMENT

Grantham’s fault but, not Mullen’s?

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
Mullen calls the plays for the offense and it was worse than the defense Saturday so, shouldn’t we call for his head also? Look at the stats for the offense and defense and see which is performing worse. People need to know their facts before they say idiotic things. We had how many yards rushing? We took how long on the last T.D. drive? And Fromm’s pass on 3rd down at the end was a beauty. Let’s hire Willie Taggart then given most people’s logic on here.

Defense lost the game on Saturday. The offense did fine. Only had like 51 plays because they defense couldn’t get UGA off the field. The defense was lousy in the LSU game. The defense wasn’t good in wins against USCjr, Towson and UK ether.

Take a look at all of your losses under Mullen. For the most part the defense has been the problem.

This year the defense has underachieved greatly IMO.

Reactions: GatorNation79
Defense lost the game on Saturday. The offense did fine. Only had like 51 plays because they defense couldn’t get UGA off the field. The defense was lousy in the LSU game. The defense wasn’t good in wins against USCjr, Towson and UK ether.

Take a look at all of your losses under Mullen. For the most part the defense has been the problem.

I think we've been real good in situations...defense has not played that well last week. Outside of that the defense has been put in the worse positions because of turnover from the offense. That hasn't been the case in the last couple of game. Mullen calls a great game....the defensive scheme looked kind of bad last week. We need to press these receivers more and get more pressure but we couldn't get off blocks last week...we put pressure on them and didn't perform. I'm not a pro but Oozie is right...we need to be more aggressive. Our secondary might get burnt but we have to allow them to jam these receivers and not give them 10 yards to run free and get wide open. I don't care if we we're on their 10 yard line, 3rd down has been a problem all year.

I think we've been real good in situations...defense has not played that well last week. Outside of that the defense has been put in the worse positions because of turnover from the offense. That hasn't been the case in the last couple of game. Mullen calls a great game....the defensive scheme looked kind of bad last week. We need to press these receivers more and get more pressure but we couldn't get off blocks last week...we put pressure on them and didn't perform. I'm not a pro but Oozie is right...we need to be more aggressive. Our secondary might get burnt but we have to allow them to jam these receivers and not give them 10 yards to run free and get wide open. I don't care if we we're on their 10 yard line, 3rd down has been a problem all year.
The defensive scheme has been bad all year. The defense has underachieved this year. In some of our wins they haven’t looked good either. They weren’t good in the UK or USCjr games either.

Mullen calls the plays for the offense and it was worse than the defense Saturday so, shouldn’t we call for his head also? Look at the stats for the offense and defense and see which is performing worse. People need to know their facts before they say idiotic things. We had how many yards rushing? We took how long on the last T.D. drive? And Fromm’s pass on 3rd down at the end was a beauty. Let’s hire Willie Taggart then given most people’s logic on here.
I must have been watching a different game. Defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. We did not have many offensive possessions. We haven't been able to run the ball all year, and considering we are playing a QB with literally no experience high school or otherwise, I would say Mullen has done wonders with the offense. What was dawg 3rd down conversion rate again? What did Lsu do to our defense again? Those were are two losses, both on the D.

Considering we are playing out backup who hasn't started since high school i think the offense, minus the line, is doing ok. Ive never played a down of football in my life but even i know it only takes ten yards to get a first down, so why are you playing so far away?????

Honestly, sadgator ain’t crazy about Grantham mainly because his demeanor is a bit too amped up for sadgator’s liking. That being said, he seems to be a pretty competent DC. sadgator just thinks that our defensive talent isn’t as good as it has been the past few years (particularly in the secondary), so it limits what Grantham can do and the effectiveness of what he calls.

Our fundamentals on defense suck this year too....going all the way back to Miami, so that is bothersome.

But, Grantham works good with Mullen, and the players seem to love him, so that gets points in sadgator’s book.

We really just played a shitty game all around against UGA this past week. sadgator knows that a lot of people around here expect perfection in every game, but it doesn’t work like that. Bad games do happen sometimes....

The defensive scheme has been bad all year. The defense has underachieved this year. In some of our wins they haven’t looked good either. They weren’t good in the UK or USCjr games either.
We could be better....yeah. Defensive was rushing 5 guys a bunch....should have brought 6...They straight up beat us. Not saying Granthom is the best, he's not bad either but we didn't win match ups at the line and got torn up in the passing game. Some of it's on the players. We got beat. We got out coached some but we got out played mainly.

Reactions: sadgator
On offense, the thing the drove me crazy this game were some of the unforced errors: 12 on the field, 10 on the field - just bad communication. Using 2 TOs on the first drive and then not getting plays in quickly. Mullen seems to have all of these things 100% in good order and the 1st half was a mess on this front.

The other point on offense, listening to the David Waters' show...for the last 3 games (Aub/LSU/UGA) - when we've had scoring drives, we've run the ball. We haven't run it well for yards but we've run. On all the non-scoring drives we were throwing about 75% of the time. Same for UGA - on the drives we scored, we ran the ball. With only 7 possessions in the game, Kirby put us in a position to not succeed and we didn't adjust.

On defense, I don't think we have the horses to have a press kind of team. It's easy to say "3rd and Grantham" but it seems every time we play man to man, we REALLY get lit up. I don't pretend to know x's and o's like some here so I'd love your input.

Bottom line we got beat - time to recruit better and move on. If we finish 10-2 I'll be more than happy and we'll be on track for a big 2020. I've always felt like this was a 3-4 year rebuild so although the loss is disappointing it was also expected in the bigger sense. We just missed on this opportunity.

Reactions: GatorNation79
On offense, the thing the drove me crazy this game were some of the unforced errors: 12 on the field, 10 on the field - just bad communication. Using 2 TOs on the first drive and then not getting plays in quickly. Mullen seems to have all of these things 100% in good order and the 1st half was a mess on this front.

The other point on offense, listening to the David Waters' show...for the last 3 games (Aub/LSU/UGA) - when we've had scoring drives, we've run the ball. We haven't run it well for yards but we've run. On all the non-scoring drives we were throwing about 75% of the time. Same for UGA - on the drives we scored, we ran the ball. With only 7 possessions in the game, Kirby put us in a position to not succeed and we didn't adjust.

On defense, I don't think we have the horses to have a press kind of team. It's easy to say "3rd and Grantham" but it seems every time we play man to man, we REALLY get lit up. I don't pretend to know x's and o's like some here so I'd love your input.

Bottom line we got beat - time to recruit better and move on. If we finish 10-2 I'll be more than happy and we'll be on track for a big 2020. I've always felt like this was a 3-4 year rebuild so although the loss is disappointing it was also expected in the bigger sense. We just missed on this opportunity.
Mental mistakes hurt us no doubt. Trask took some bad sacks....on one drive he took a bad sack and then we jump off sides. Way to many penalties and miss communication on the field to beat a good team. This is 3-4 year rebuild but we've made a lot of progress.

It is always the head coach's fault. That's why they make the big bucks...to make tough decisions.

Here are the stats to prove my point.

Ranks out of 120 in the Nation;

Florida Gators:

Total Offense ( Yards per game ), 72nd.
Total Defense. 26th.

Scoring Offense Tied 54th.
Scoring Defense. 11th.

And everyone is talking about Grantham? Again, check your facts people.

Florida Gators:

Total Defense. 26th.

Scoring Defense. 11th.

Again, tell me about our 2 losses this year? When we play a team that isn't one dimensional Grantham struggles. And guess what, this is where teams are going. Our rush defense has been bad this year, starting with the Miami game. These stats are misleading. Again, ask the dawg fans if they want Grantham back.

Reactions: PacoGator19

Florida Gators:

Total Defense. 26th.

Scoring Defense. 11th.

Very short sighted IMO. Look at what they took over. We had offenses ranked in the 100s for 6 consecutive years before Mullen took over. It was bad bad bad!!The offense was in a much much bigger hole than the defense and it is is much harder to turn around an offense than a defense as well. Never mind the fact that between Muschamp and McElwain they virtually didn’t even bother to recruit the oline.

Mullen has done wonders on the offense and it has improved. Without looking at it in detail I’d venture to say our defense really hasn’t improved from the McElwain years.

I think the defense has underachieved.

Again, tell me about our 2 losses this year? When we play a team that isn't one dimensional Grantham struggles. And guess what, this is where teams are going. Our rush defense has been bad this year, starting with the Miami game. These stats are misleading. Again, ask the dawg fans if they want Grantham back.
We want Grantham and Mullen back. Ha Ha!

I must have been watching a different game. Defense couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. We did not have many offensive possessions. We haven't been able to run the ball all year, and considering we are playing a QB with literally no experience high school or otherwise, I would say Mullen has done wonders with the offense. What was dawg 3rd down conversion rate again? What did Lsu do to our defense again? Those were are two losses, both on the D.
I still point out the story of the game is 3rd down conversion rate. Going into the 4th quarter we had 3 points on the board and were 0-6 on 3rd down conversions. Ended the game 2-8 on 3rd downs thanks to the late game sustained drives when UGLY was willing to trade gameclock for yardage. That is completely on the offense there. Conversely the stinkballs were 9-12 going into the 4th quarter on 3rd down conversion rate and I think they ended the game somewhere in the 70-80% conversion range. That right there tells you the defense couldn't get stops.

There is enough blame to go all around here. The coaches accept their responsibility, and the players are disgusted that they didn't come out to play the way they should have. Numbers don't lie.

The positives to take away is that we did pretty much effectively shut down their run game till late when they found a little success on perimeter jet/toss sweeps. We also held them on 3 drives to field goals instead of touchdowns. That right there was the point difference between this year and last year. We gave up zero turnovers where last year we handed them 3 right in our own redzone. Special teams did what was expected of them and we made all field goals, didn't botch any punts or returns.

The defense has underachieved based on pre-season expectations. To me the expectations were too high because our linebackers are still slow and our safeties and nickel are not very good in pass coverage. You can scheme all you want (and I don't like Grantham's weak, passive zones in 3rd and long situations), but if the players can't or don't execute, good teams will win out. On the offensive side, the O-line continues to be the problem like it has been pretty much since Urban Meyer left. We can't establish any meaningful running game and in spite of having an elite receiving corps and pretty good running backs, the QB has almost no time to go through his progressions and we are too one dimensional/predictable. Mullen is an excellent play callers, but when he called a flat pass on 4th and a foot on our first possession it shows how little he trusts his O-line. That failed play, to me, set a negative tone for the rest of the game. I still think Dan is the man for UF - we just have to get better quality players to challenge the big boys on a consistent basis.

AmazIng how before it was Kirby's so dumb and it’s all on the HC but suddenly it’s all different.
I know! They spend so much time telling each other how bad there talent is just so they can prop up their coaches.

I know! They spend so much time telling each other how bad there talent is just so they can prop up their coaches.
Oh yeah, that's what we all think. We have talent and almost beat you, playing from behind. You might win the east but holes in your game too buddy. You won a big game...congrats, you and your opinion means nothing about it though.

Heading into the Georgia game, the Florida Gators were most worried about slowing down the running game. The Bulldogs came into the weekend as the SEC’s leasing rushing team and had the league’s leading rusher in D’Andre Swift.

The Gators held Georgia to 67 rushing yards in the first half. Georgia finished with only 119 rushing yards, the lowest total by far of the season (152 vs Notre Dame). :eek:

But with the assistance of the corrupt/incompetent SEC officials, their (trap the ball receivers and no holding calls OL) passing game did significantly better. The Gators still lead the SEC in sacks with 29, but got ZERO SACKS Saturday in Jacksonville. IMO due to uncalled UGly OL holding. o_O

Mullen is demanding answers from SEC Officials, but too bad for the fans, they will be given 'behind closed doors'. Too bad that 'transparency and Govt. in the Sunshine' doesn't apply to the SEC or it's biased/ bought-off officials.... :mad:

I’m certain I have this one right
Some people think he's not a great game day coach. There are valid points about that and your offense has been stagnate this year. Your O Line did a great job last Saturday giving Fromm time to make plays. Can Kirby or Mullen live up to the expectations? We will see but Mullen was is in the middle of a total rebuild and Kirby has done a good job with what he walked into. UGA is one of the best teams in the country. As much as I love seeing you guys lose or struggle I'm not going to act like Kirby isn't a good coach, give you guys credit, and he's one of the best recruiters in the country. You guys have some tough games coming up and we'll see how it shakes out. I wouldn't be surprised if you win out and lose in the SEC game or make the playoffs.

We might drop 1 more game in the regular season but if we're 9-10 and get a bowl win I'll be super happy. I thought that was going to be best case this year. Expectations have gone up this year and even though we fell short against UGA and LSU I thought we would lose those 2 going into the season.

No. We didn’t...

Mullen is responsible for two piss poor performances in a row vs. UGA. Is that enough acknowledgment?
Mullen is the head coach, he is ultimately responsible for sure. If I were him I would cut Grantham lose today. On the offensive side we made some questionable decisions for certain.

He can't recruit? lol

BTW isn't Kirby like 45 years old and been coaching for 20+ years? You are stretching on the "inexperienced" thing.
He has been a head coach fir less than 4 years. Big difference between a position coach or coordinator and the guy responsible for all the decisions.

Heading into the Georgia game, the Florida Gators were most worried about slowing down the running game. The Bulldogs came into the weekend as the SEC’s leasing rushing team and had the league’s leading rusher in D’Andre Swift.

The Gators held Georgia to 67 rushing yards in the first half. Georgia finished with only 119 rushing yards, the lowest total by far of the season (152 vs Notre Dame). :eek:

But with the assistance of the corrupt/incompetent SEC officials, their (trap the ball receivers and no holding calls OL) passing game did significantly better. The Gators still lead the SEC in sacks with 29, but got ZERO SACKS Saturday in Jacksonville. IMO due to uncalled UGly OL holding. o_O

Mullen is demanding answers from SEC Officials, but too bad for the fans, they will be given 'behind closed doors'. Too bad that 'transparency and Govt. in the Sunshine' doesn't apply to the SEC or it's biased/ bought-off officials.... :mad:
You got your ass drug all over the field. Accept it.

He has been a head coach fir less than 4 years. Big difference between a position coach or coordinator and the guy responsible for all the decisions.

Sure - and Mullen has only been at an elite football team as the HC for 1.5 years.

You can make excuses for both coaches if you want - just depends on if you want to be consistent or not.

No. We didn’t...

Mullen is responsible for two piss poor performances in a row vs. UGA. Is that enough acknowledgment?
Not for me homie. We're real good for where we are at. We lost to the MAYBE best two teams in the country....this 1 hurts more but let's be real, we are over achieving. Mullen is putting together pieces.

Kirby is inexperienced. What’s Mullen’s excuse?
Dan Mullen doesn't have a 200 million $ recruiting budget like Georgia gave to Kirby. That makes a world of a difference and it is what has turned mediocre Kirby Smart into one of the SEC's top coaches right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT