ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzales: JCope like Harvin

Yeah right. Just like all the guys urb’s recruited to play the “Percy position.”

How many points do they give for a 'just about score' anyway??? o_O

Myself, I like all around athlete Toney for the Harvin type role in Dan's offense, but we'll see. Also, something about the bird in the hand vs in the bush... ;)

That being said, I'd love to see Copeland back in the class at WR. :) (iG)
"I want to be the first and only Jacob Copeland.”
Yeah man, I'm rock solid with that kind of attitude from him! :cool:

How many points do they give for a 'just about score' anyway??? o_O

Myself, I like all around athlete Toney for the Harvin type role in Dan's offense, but we'll see. Also, something about the bird in the hand vs in the bush... ;)

That being said, I'd love to see Copeland back in the class at WR. :) (iG)
"I want to be the first and only Jacob Copeland.”
Yeah man, I'm rock solid with that kind of attitude from him! :cool:

I would like to see him as a Gator as well but given how Tua played in the championship game, I would imagine Bama is going to be a lock for him.

"If he was a tailback on somebody else's team, he'd be a 200-yards-a-game guy," Spurrier said.

I would like to see him as a Gator as well but given how Tua played in the championship game, I would imagine Bama is going to be a lock for him.

You mean like Bama was a lock for keeping Bama commit K Pinero??? ;)

There is no such thing as a lock before a LOI is signed and delivered.
And besides that, Bama, like any other school/coach, doesn't get everything it wants.

Bama attempted to flip the Alabama 7A APB of the Year away from UF. --- FAIL! --- RB Lamical Perine is a Gator.

And UF is getting players from Alabama yearly now that had Bama offers, so getting a FL player to stay in Florida should be a bit easier, especially one that was committed to UF before the coaching change. Especially considering the upgrade in coaches (BillyG WR's) and getting QB E.Jones.

TE C'yontai Lewis rsJr - Eutaw, AL

OLB Jeremiah Moon rsSo - Hoover, AL

APB Lamical Perine So - Mobile, AL

DB Jeawon Taylor So - Montgomery, AL

Ath/WR/RB Kadarius Toney Fr - Mobile, AL

K Evan McPherson Recruit - Fort Payne, AL

I don't claim Copeland is a UF lock, but he's also certainly NOT a Bama lock either.

I hate when people say that another player is the "next Percy Harvin"....there will never be another Percy, Tebow, Wuerffel, E Smith etc...there will be other big time players but it won't be Percy, Percy was a once in a generation type player...those guys made those names....the 'next Percy' will make his own name and he'll be amazing too.

If he can play like Percy, I'll take the migraines. I doubt that's the case, though. Not too many athletes like Harvin. Even in the Superbowl, he just about scored every time he touched the ball.
He's the most explosive offensive player that I've ever seen play college...guy was just a real joy to watch play football. He could take it to the house on any play...ran the ball with reckless abandon.

In Gonzales' defense, and in defense of any coach from the Meyer tree, making the comparison, it's obviously less for the fans and more directed at the kid. I'm sure it's effective marketing to tell recruits that your offense is going to turn them into the next Harvin. It's worked pretty well, too. How many 4-and-5-star rb/receiver combos have committed to play the "Percy position" at UF and OSU? Still waiting for the next Percy though.

Past players, to present/future player comparisons will always be made. This is not NEW, nor is it any big deal, except for the 'drama-queens' of the world... o_O

A couple of Possible Percy position types on the 2018 roster so far:
2006 WR/RB Percy Harvin 5-11 180 -- 2008 5-11 195
Career -- Rushing 9.5 ypc -- Receiving 14.5 yds/rec

And these guys were not in a Meyer/Mullen offense.

#25 Ath
Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 So - EE (RB/WR/QB/KR)
2017 -- Rushing 8.6 ypc -- Receiving 13.1 yds/rec

#26 RB
Malik Davis 5-11 194 So - EE
2017 -- Rushing 6.7 ypc -- Receiving 8.3 yds/rec
-----
#09 RB
Dameon Pierce 5-11 205 Fr - signed - EE
HS Sr -- Rushing 9.4 ypc -- Receiving 31.0 yds/rec

#11 Ath
Iverson Clement 5-11 199 Fr - signed - EE (RB/WR/KR/S)
HS Sr -- Rushing 7.1 ypc -- Receiving 12.8 yds/rec
-----

A few others on the roster that would need to really blossom to get there.
2017 #6 WR WR Trevon Grimes 6-2 195 So ***** 6.1
2017 #25 RB Adarius Lemons 6-0 201 So **** 5.8
2017 #33 WR Daquon Green 6-1 195 So **** 5.8

And being a Percy position 'type' of player doesn't mean that they have to be statistically better than Percy was, just in the same neighborhood with him... :cool:

It's kind of like getting another Emmitt Smith. It's not likely. o_O
But both Errict Rhett and Fred Taylor weren't exactly chopped liver. :rolleyes:

Past players, to present/future player comparisons will always be made. This is not NEW, nor is it any big deal, except for the 'drama-queens' of the world... o_O

A couple of Possible Percy position types on the 2018 roster so far:
2006 WR/RB Percy Harvin 5-11 180 -- 2008 5-11 195
Career -- Rushing 9.5 ypc -- Receiving 14.5 yds/rec

And these guys were not in a Meyer/Mullen offense.

#25 Ath
Kadarius Toney 5-11 194 So - EE (RB/WR/QB/KR)
2017 -- Rushing 8.6 ypc -- Receiving 13.1 yds/rec

#26 RB
Malik Davis 5-11 194 So - EE
2017 -- Rushing 6.7 ypc -- Receiving 8.3 yds/rec
-----
#09 RB
Dameon Pierce 5-11 205 Fr - signed - EE
HS Sr -- Rushing 9.4 ypc -- Receiving 31.0 yds/rec

#11 Ath
Iverson Clement 5-11 199 Fr - signed - EE (RB/WR/KR/S)
HS Sr -- Rushing 7.1 ypc -- Receiving 12.8 yds/rec
-----

A few others on the roster that would need to really blossom to get there.
2017 #6 WR WR Trevon Grimes 6-2 195 So ***** 6.1
2017 #25 RB Adarius Lemons 6-0 201 So **** 5.8
2017 #33 WR Daquon Green 6-1 195 So **** 5.8

And being a Percy position 'type' of player doesn't mean that they have to be statistically better than Percy was, just in the same neighborhood with him... :cool:

It's kind of like getting another Emmitt Smith. It's not likely. o_O
But both Errict Rhett and Fred Taylor weren't exactly chopped liver. :rolleyes:

Fred Taylor was one of those guys. Maybe a better athlete than Harvin, crazy as that sounds.

Most impressive thing I remember was you could tell early in a play when he was gone. Speed like we have rarely seen in a ballcarrier.

At the point of attack Percy would already have that first step on the defender.

If he was even, he was leavin’. Those were probably some of the fastest teams ever put together, with Harvin, Brandon James, Jeff Demps later on. They’d run away from guys by 20 yards. Harvin’s USC game was completely insane.

Reactions: GatorNation79
With a little more 'icing' on this 2018 recruiting cake, and the coming team just might be well on it's way to becoming a new Gator winning era.

I was very 'hopeful' for both new/young HC's, Muschamp and McElwain, but I'm pretty 'excited' about the coming or the Mullen era. :cool:

If the new staff can finish out this NSD class, the way they stormed into the 1st ESD group, then the 2018 Team could be well on it way to a return to greatness on Saturday afternoons in the coming Fall. o_O

With a little more 'icing' on this 2018 recruiting cake, and the coming team just might be well on it's way to becoming a new Gator winning era.

I was very 'hopeful' for both new/young HC's, Muschamp and McElwain, but I'm pretty 'excited' about the coming or the Mullen era. :cool:

If the new staff can finish out this NSD class, the way they stormed into the 1st ESD group, then the 2018 Team could be well on it way to a return to greatness on Saturday afternoons in the coming Fall. o_O
Agreed Insta

Mullen just added another 'Percy - type' of player to his 2018 commit list.

#21 WR Justin Watkins 5-11 172 **** UA-AA, Clermont/Citra, FL - commit
He also plays RB/KR/CB in HS.
He could have easily gone to D1 as a RB, or as a CB.

I'd say that he's a bit of a long shot as a Percy-type, but he's in the ball park imo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT