ADVERTISEMENT

Gators 'Whiff' on another high priority, in-state RB from IMG Academy

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
2021 RB who named UF his leader last month commits to UGA

2021 four-star running back Lovasea Carroll (IMG Academy - Bradenton, Fla.) has committed to Georgia.

Last month, Carroll told Sports Illustrated All-American that the Gators were his leader. With a lack of visits amidst the pandemic, it’s curious as to what gave UGA an advantage here. It should be noted, though, that Carroll is a Peach State native.

https://www.si.com/college/florida/...t-month-commits-to-uga-R3CLAVIdx0uy4-MHQRbfbg

Starting to think that someone on coaching staff at IMG Academy doesn't like the Gators. We have come up short on far too many players from there. Perhaps members of the coaching staff are fans of Clemson, Bama, and/or UGA.

The major problem with Gators' current RB recruiting is the pitiful performance of last year's OL.

To put this stat in its proper perspective, you need to
remember that there are only 14 teams in the SEC.

SEC Rushing Stats -

1. Kentucky - 278.77 yards/game
4. Georgia - 185.07 yards/game
6. LSU - 166.8 yards/game

13. Gators - 129.77 yards/game
14. Vanderbilt - 124.67 yards/game

https://www.secsports.com/statistics/football/team/rushing

The two teams which beat us, out rushed us both for the season & in the game we lost to them.

NOTE: Clemson had over 3600 yards rushing last season - 240 yards/game.
In 2019 -Travis Etienne rushed for 1614 yards; Gators as a team had only 1687 yards for the season !

Tim Brewster comes to the Gators' staff with the reputation of being one of the elite recruiters in college football. I personally believe he will make his mark here in Gainesville.

FWIW - I don't care who the recruiter is, until our OL shows they can run block; why would any top flight RB come to Gainesville ?

I realize that this year is unlike anything college football football has ever seen - Corona Virus, campus shut down, no spring practice, extended dead period, etc.

But with the same problems; UGA convinced Lovasea Carroll to commit.

Early commit doesn't mean he will sign with the Dawgs, but would you rather have his commitment or his rejection ?

2021 RB who named UF his leader last month commits to UGA

Early commit doesn't mean he will sign with the Dawgs, but would you rather have his commitment or his rejection ?

To answer that question right up front it's like this.
IF HE doesn't want to be a Gator, then it's fine with me if he's just more gatorbait. I only want players that WANT to be Gators, now and always. o_O

Well Jeffie, you do manage to always paint a deluded picture with your negative outlook posts... :rolleyes:

Gator's wiff??? Or maybe that Peach State / IMG RB just decided that he'd rather be gatorbait than try to compete with UF's current and/or projected RB roster?

He wussed, not a UF/Dan's whiff. :cool:

RB Malik Davis rsJr broke Clemson RB Ray-Ray McClouds HS records. - 4.5/40
Dabbo attempted to flip Davis from his UF commit but failed to do so. 23 offers

#8 RB Dameon Pierce Jr **** broke H.Walkers GA HS record.
4th & Dumb offered him but failed to get him.

#29 Ath/RB/FS Iverson Clement rsSo **** (had a 41 yd run in 2019)
UF--UK-TN--Bay-Mich-MichSt-Minn-NC-Neb-tOSU-PSU-VaTech - 18 offers

Nay'Quan Wright rsFr **** -- His offers tell you what you need to know... o_O

UF--UA-UG-LSU--FSU-Mia-Neb-ND-WVa-Wis

#2 RB Lorenzo Lingard rsSo ***** (2018-19 Mia, xfer to UF)

#2 RB Zachary Evans Fr ***** (rumored to be a current UF lean before Co-V)

==========

#8 RB Lovasea Carroll 6-0.5 189 ****
While he's likely a D1 quality RB, he's really NBD when it comes to RB's.
UF already has 5 for sure on the 2020 roster, with a 6th still a maybe. :cool:
And none will be losing their 2021 eligibility, although someone might leave early for the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlutoDroid
He was never coming to UF. Fans got their hopes up as he said UF was the leader...but everyone in the "know" thought that was him just being nice at a visit. Georgia kid at IMG is going to UGA 99% of the time.

Now that doesn't excuse our whiffs on seemingly every top RB the last 3 cycles lmao - but in this case it's true imo.

And in other news...

2021 FS/CB Terrion Arnold 6-2 187 **** - Tallahassee, FL - AA
UF-UA-AU-UGA-LSJ--FSU-ND, are among a host of other ship offers.

But get this, Mike White has also offered him a B-Ball ship as a PG.

Some other schools (UI & GaT) have offered him to be a 2-way athlete and play both.

Once we get Zach Evans...not much else is gonna matter...

Sad,

Don't hold your breath waiting for Evans to sign with Gators.

Hope that Evans would be a good pick up, but I'm not sure.

Dawgs let him go for a reason.

Reason is unknown to me, but for Kirby, or any other coach, to turn down a player of his talent, there must be some substantial problems.

Other problem is our OL - until they demonstrate that they can run block, for an entire season, no top rated RB will come to Gainesville.

FWIW, Lingard is a different story; transferred to UF to
  1. Get away from Miami - "When Lorenzo Lingard visited University High School in Orange City recently, Offensive Coordinator Justin Roberts noticed a change in his former star pupil since he transferred from Miami to Florida in January. “Since I’ve seen him back, it’s been the happiest I’ve seen him,” he said. “He kind of reminds me of his sophomore or junior year self in high school.”In retrospect, the five-star running back in the Class of 2018 was probably never a good fit at Miami on or off the field. https://insidethegators.com/s/2091/five-stars-with-an-asterisk-lingard-finding-his-stride-at-florida
  2. To be closer to his dad who has health problems.

Last edited:

To answer that question right up front it's like this.
IF HE doesn't want to be a Gator, then it's fine with me if he's just more gatorbait. I only want players that WANT to be Gators, now and always. o_O

Well Jeffie, you do manage to always paint a deluded picture with your negative outlook posts... :rolleyes:

Gator's wiff??? Or maybe that Peach State / IMG RB just decided that he'd rather be gatorbait than try to compete with UF's current and/or projected RB roster? He wiffed, not UF/Dan.

RB Malik Davis rsJr broke Clemson RB Ray-Ray McClouds HS records. 4.5/40
Dabbo attempted to flip Davis from his UF commit but failed to do so. 23 offers

#8 RB Dameon Pierce Jr **** broke H.Walkers GA HS record.
4th & Dumb offered him but failed to get him.

29 Ath/RB/FS Iverson Clement rsSo ****
UF--UK-TN--Bay-Mich-MichSt-Minn-NC-Neb-tOSU-PSU-VaTech - 18 offers

Nay'Quan Wright rsFr **** -- His offers tell you what you need to know... o_O

UF--UA-UG-LSU--FSU-Mia-Neb-ND-WVa-Wis

==========

#8 RB Lovasea Carroll 6-0.5 189 ****
While he's likely a D1 quality RB, he's really NBD when it comes to RB's.
UF already has 5 for sure on the 2020 roster, with a 6th still a maybe. :cool:
And none will be losing their 2021 eligibility, although someone might leave early for the NFL.
To clarify, there are offers.........then there are "committable" offers. Big difference.

This offense needs athletes, we need speed...Jeff Demps was a track star but a great player...Harvin was a WR/athlete....Mullen will put them in space and we'll kill it. I just believe in this coaching staff...everything is right but we have to make it happen.

To clarify, there are offers.........then there are "committable" offers. Big difference.

SD 51,

Was not aware of his commit to S Carolina; thanks for the info.

I am never surprised, when a 17-18 yr old HS player commits & decommits. At that age you don't know how to say NO to experienced adults pressuring you for a commit.

Knew something about the difference in offers, but not a lot - I was never a recruited athlete.

Would be interested in learning more about "offers" & how well they differentiate between them when talking / selling a young HS player.

Reactions: superdawg51

Thanks for that clarification. :rolleyes:
]
So, any recruit that goes to UGly instead of to UF, NEVER really had a committable offer from UF to begin with. Now that we've got that straightened out, anything else to add? :cool:

SD 51,

I am never surprised, when a 17-18 yr old HS player commits & decommits. At that age you don't know how to say NO to experienced adults pressuring you for a commit.

https://florida.rivals.com/news/new-kid-on-the-block-florida-defensive-back-tre-vez-johnson

Then I guess that you just skipped right over this one. He turned down a Clemson offer after committing to Dan/UF. --- And he is far from the only one that did that on the Gator's roster.
Dabo tried to flip Malik Davis
Saban tried to flip Perine.
Miami tried to flip Wright.
tOSU tried to flip Cox from UF when he went into the portal to get outta UGly.
And on and on it goes....
Give Lovasea Carroll a year of two at UGly and he might pull a Miami Lingard, or bail out like a Cox.... ;)

https://florida.rivals.com/news/new-kid-on-the-block-florida-defensive-back-tre-vez-johnson

Then I guess that you just skipped right over this one. He turned down a Clemson offer after committing to Dan/UF. --- And he is far from the only one that did that on the Gator's roster.
Give Lovasea Carroll a year of two at UGly and he might pull a Miami Lingard, or bail out like a Cox.... ;)
You know, I’m not sure there are any decisions I made when I was 18 that I’d want to live with for the rest of my life. Case in point, I transferred twice as an undergrad (thats 3 schools). Given how big of an effect this decision can have on the rest of these kids’ lives, and how much money is potentially at stake, I can see them being high strung about it and maybe hitting the panic button if things aren’t going the way they want. Kids that age often react emotionally. There’s a lot at stake. I can see why they might freak out and decommit or transfer when things don’t seem to be going according to plan.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
You know, I’m not sure there are any decisions I made when I was 18 that I’d want to live with for the rest of my life. Case in point, I transferred twice as an undergrad (thats 3 schools). Given how big of an effect this decision can have on the rest of these kids’ lives, and how much money is potentially at stake, I can see them being high strung about it and maybe hitting the panic button if things aren’t going the way they want. Kids that age often react emotionally. There’s a lot at stake. I can see why they might freak out and decommit or transfer when things don’t seem to be going according to plan.

Decommitting is much better than transferring.

Problem is a lot of these coaches are like used car salesman. You just aren't getting off the lot until we've put you in a low mileage commitment! Fortunately, there's no contract like there is with a car (until signing day, anyway), so they can get out of it easily.

I don't really trust visitation commitments because of that. When you hear of somebody who took all his visits and then a week later committed, that's one I think will stick. Not only did he have a chance to consider his options and get advice, but had the maturity to be able to fend off the coaches clamoring for a commitment before leaving.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

Met my ex-wife when I was 18. I feel ya.

Reactions: ih8f$u

Problem is a lot of these coaches are like used car salesman. You just aren't getting off the lot until we've put you in a low mileage commitment! Fortunately, there's no contract like there is with a car (until signing day, anyway), so they can get out of it easily.

I don't really trust visitation commitments because of that. When you hear of somebody who took all his visits and then a week later committed, that's one I think will stick. Not only did he have a chance to consider his options and get advice, but had the maturity to be able to fend off the coaches clamoring for a commitment before leaving.
Exactly. I was recruited as a basketball player, although I’m sure it’s changed a lot since then, and I wasn’t going to make it break a program, and I knew I didn’t really have much of a shot at n nba career, so there wasn’t the same level of stakes, but I could see how it could get very overwhelming. When you factor in the possibility of bags being dropped, that adds a whole new level as well. If a kid sees an opportunity to help his family in the short term, even if it’s not the best landing spot for him, that could make the decision even tougher.

LG89,

Your used car sales rep analogy is awesome !

More to college coaching than Xs and Os.

How many times have you heard - to be successful as a college coach, you must be able to "close" ?

Kids that age have difficulty saying NO when the "used car sales manager" - the HC - has him in his office at the end of the OV !

Great post !

Which is why I keep saying this....
I ONLY WANT THE PLAYERS THAT WANT TO BE GATORS. :cool:

Then it doesn't take a lot of selling, just show them around, introduce them to their teammates, school, and community. Those that like what the see and feel like they can fit in will commit at some point, and most will stick with their commitment. :)
(the few that don't stick are better off elsewhere, Steele being a recent example)

High pressure sales often leads to buyer's remorse. :eek:
Avoid that whenever possible imo. ;)

Last edited:
And oh BTW, I committed to the U.S. Military at 17 and 9 days after my 18th birthday I was inducted. I admit to having some bad days along the way, but 52 years later,,, no regrets. One of the best decisions for me that I ever made.

No verbal commit, no LOI, and no bailing out on my word. o_O
Sign, swear the lifetime sacred oath, then serve and fulfill your contract.
The goal is to serve, remain alive, and receive your 'Honorable Discharge' eventually.
No money worries, because you don't need much, and they don't pay much. ;)
You ain't buying momma a new house, or paying for her operations on that pay.
My first month check was $92.50, and they still took out Social Security and Federal Income Tax. :mad:

I matured and I eagerly learned what they had to teach me, the good and the bad.
I didn't get a scholarship, I instead earned 'by my war-time service' for myself the GI Bills school benefits, therefore eventually paying my own way through college with that and various jobs while in school. By the end of my 1st enlistment, I had decided that I wanted a wife & family and an 'at home' life, so I chose to not make the military my life's career. --- 46 years of married life later, that was also a good decision for me.

College athletes, especially the contact sports, say they are going to war, but they really haven't got even a vague clue about what going to war is, especially the 'entitled few - drama queens' that think that the world OWES them special treatment.

Pressure in the classroom with a tutor, is not battlefield pressure.
Lonely for mommy and home a few hundred miles away, is not lonely for a home that is thousands of miles away, while knowing that you're not going back there for a long time, if ever again...
Lonely in a dorm or apartment, is not lonely in a wet muddy fox hole.
Worries about getting a degree or a xfer, is not battlefield induced PTSD.
A broken bone, is not limbs blown completely off.
Claiming that you'd die for your teammates, in not actually dying for your country.

WoW! I just had an epiphany while writing that....

Maybe that's a big part of why the current Co-V BS is not worrying me at all. :eek:
I long ago learned how to be prepared at all times, and how not to worry to much about the small stuff. ---
What? You wanna live forever??? ;) (if so, flash news, it ain't happening) o_O

Last edited:
Reactions: superdawg51

You do know why Cox entered the portal don't you? Surely BC has leaked his side of the story by now.

Because he had gotten his "signing bonus" and wanted to get out of that craphole as fast as possible.
There were also several younger players that had moved ahead of him on the chart. It may or may not mean squat but the player/coach relationship was not good. Cox wanted out and no one fought to keep him. A change in scenery is a good thing sometimes.

Reactions: ih8f$u
There were also several younger players that had moved ahead of him on the chart. It may or may not mean squat but the player/coach relationship was not good. Cox wanted out and no one fought to keep him. A change in scenery is a good thing sometimes.

Which leads us to why 4th & dumb recruited him to begin with? :cool:

Dan recruits players that he thinks will fit in and can mesh into his team.
He's proven that he can take xfers that do very well under the coaching of him and his coaching staff. Jefferson-Grimes-Shuler-Greenard-etc.... ;)

Does 4th & dumb just recruit other peoples rated stars, and then see if they can produce under his brand of coaching? :confused:

We'll all get to see how BC's 'change of scenery' works out soon enough. o_O

Last edited:

I keep hearing that, but the reality is it was the weed. Kirby screwed up the situation, pissed the kid off, and after he left Kirbs told a few stories to save face. True freshmen who are good enough to earn PT on a top 10 team don't fall behind incoming true freshmen the following spring.

I keep hearing that, but the reality is it was the weed. Kirby screwed up the situation, pissed the kid off, and after he left Kirbs told a few stories to save face. True freshmen who are good enough to earn PT on a top 10 team don't fall behind incoming true freshmen the following spring.
He and Robert Beal were arrested for misdemeanor possession and at that time (4/3/19) both were repping in the one/two-deep. Cox played in 13 games as a true freshman for the Bulldogs, starting one, finishing with 29 tackles, including a sack. No doubt the kid's a player when he has he head on straight. Weed and a shitty attitude facilitated this exit as much as anything.

He and Robert Beal were arrested for misdemeanor possession and at that time (4/3/19) both were repping in the one/two-deep. Cox played in 13 games as a true freshman for the Bulldogs, starting one, finishing with 29 tackles, including a sack. No doubt the kid's a player when he has he head on straight. Weed and a shitty attitude facilitated this exit as much as anything.

So when things got sideways, the coaching staff let it get worse, allowing the relationship to deteriorate until not only did the kid want to leave, but wanted to go to your biggest rival. You know, he didn't even visit here during recruiting, and he didn't give Mullen the time of day at either school, but transferred here within what, 2 days of going into the portal?

It looks to me like he has a Dawg hatin' chip on his shoulder and is HIGHLY motivated to tear UGa a new one every year he is here, which, honestly, probably is only one year.

So when things got sideways, the coaching staff let it get worse, allowing the relationship to deteriorate until not only did the kid want to leave, but wanted to go to your biggest rival. You know, he didn't even visit here during recruiting, and he didn't give Mullen the time of day at either school, but transferred here within what, 2 days of going into the portal?

It looks to me like he has a Dawg hatin' chip on his shoulder and is HIGHLY motivated to tear UGa a new one every year he is here, which, honestly, probably is only one year.
Whatever happened it was 110% on Cox. He was primed for a great soph. season then made some bad decisions. There were avenues available for his return but Brenton copped an attitude and entered the portal.

Whatever happened it was 110% on Cox. He was primed for a great soph. season then made some bad decisions. There were avenues available for his return but Brenton copped an attitude and entered the portal.
Well we will never really know. His story will be different from the official georgia spin, but usually in these situations there is some mistakes made on both sides.

Well we will never really know. His story will be different from the official georgia spin, but usually in these situations there is some mistakes made on both sides.

No doubt. However, you can understand the mistakes somewhat from the kid, but you expect better from the adults. They are the ones that screwed this pooch, I have no doubt.

This is a different story from the one we heard when he transferred, that he wasn't a great player, that he had been passed on the depth chart and he couldn't handle it.

The reality is he had been dropped on the depth chart merely and only as a punishment, that all the implications that he was a head case and it was affecting his play, and he really wasn't very good, was just Dawg crap. He's been here almost a year, and we haven't heard a single thing, so so much for the head case theory.

This is a different story from the one we heard when he transferred, that he wasn't a great player, that he had been passed on the depth chart and he couldn't handle it.

The reality is he had been dropped on the depth chart merely and only as a punishment, that all the implications that he was a head case and it was affecting his play, and he really wasn't very good, was just Dawg crap. He's been here almost a year, and we haven't heard a single thing, so so much for the head case theory.

What do you think is more possible? The fact Cox is a head case with no actual problems at UF? Or that UGA is a cesspool of racist scum in the Justin Fields?

Just looking for the more probable scenario.

And if if was only BC bailing out, then you/we might wonder a bit, but he's far from alone.

Let's make a list of 4-5 stars that have bailed out on 4th $ dumb already.
Here, I'll begin the list starting with last season. :cool:

QB Fields ***** Fr -- to tOSU & allowed to play immediately.
He went from not good enough to beat out Froom, to a Heisman candidate. o_O

LB Cox ***** So -- to UF and was forced by NCAA to sit out.
Didn't get to play so they can still claim that he was not good enough or a head case. :rolleyes:
.----

And how about a birthday tribute to the ole HBC?
Or the one that the UGly fans labeled as 'The Evil Genius.' :D:p:D
"What happens to all of those top rated recruits after they get to Athens???"
-- SOS ;)

What do you think is more possible? The fact Cox is a head case with no actual problems at UF? Or that UGA is a cesspool of racist scum in the Justin Fields?

Just looking for the more probable scenario.

I never visited the Justin Fields. Are they near Athens?

But it IS Georgia, they've got racist scum all over the place. So probably there too.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
Which leads us to why 4th & dumb recruited him to begin with? :cool:

Dan recruits players that he thinks will fit in and can mesh into his team.
He's proven that he can take xfers that do very well under the coaching of him and his coaching staff. Jefferson-Grimes-Shuler-Greenard-etc.... ;)

Does 4th & dumb just recruit other peoples rated stars, and then see if they can produce under his brand of coaching? :confused:

We'll all get to see how BC's 'change of scenery' works out soon enough. o_O

Let me try to understand the, cousin Eddie is 0-3 against Kirby. The last game while trailing by 2 TDs he runs the clock down but you guys think our coach is dumd? Danny Boy just calls him Daddy and looks like he is about to wet his pants when facing UGA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT