ADVERTISEMENT

Gators Top Remaining Targets for 2020

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Per Gator Maven's Brandon Carroll
https://www.si.com/college/florida/...tors-top-remaining-targets-for-the-2020-class

As always, scheduling an official visit & actually making it on Campus two different things. Last weekend for OV is Jan 31st

Safety Avantae Williams UF OV Jan 24th; UGA OV Jan 31st

ATH Damarcus Beckwith OV Jan 24th

RB Ashaad Clayton OV Jan 24th; team mate of Van Pran

OL Sedrick Van Pran OV Jan 31st

RB Jahmyr Gibbs OV Jan 24th

SDE Princely Umanmielen OV Jan 24th; Not listed in article, but getting some play with Gators

RB Zachary Evans listed in article, but No OV scheduled with Gators; IMO, a real long shot; Texas A&M likely

RB Henry Parrish Not listed in article, No OV scheduled, but IMO, interest on both sides

Justin Shorter was on Campus while Gators in Miami prepping for Orange Bowl; shot a video on UF Campus

WR Justin Shorter (Transfer) OV Jan 24th

https://www.si.com/college/florida/recruiting/penn-state-wr-justin-shorter-who-is-in-the-transfer-portal-will-visit-florida-on-january-24th-VdQ00QN5wkGTNJvtEhDAkQ

If all the prospects scheduled for Jan 24th show up, could be hellacious !

Last edited:
Leaves me wondering about the offers / commitments ratios, to the available openings???

~ The early bird gets the worm. o_O

~ But the 2nd mouse gets the cheese...
:D

Leaves me wondering about the offers / commitments ratios, to the available openings???

~ The early bird gets the worm. o_O

~ But the 2nd mouse gets the cheese...
:D

Insta,

You make a good point.

This is why Jan 24th weekend will be so critical !

How many more can we take & who do we value the most ?

Who commits first ? Who gets left behind ?

I am NOT an expert in Scholarship math, but here is what I have heard.

Rivals shows 21 signed LOI, 2 transfers. &
3 verbals.

Ignoring the 85 scholarship rule, we have 29 counters.

Our 2 transfers & 10 early entry are enrolled. If the remaining 11 LOIs & 2 of our 3 verbals (Leonard Manual unlikely to qualify) are admitted we would have 4 counters left.

In articles I have read, to use all 4 counters, & stay under the 85 scholarship limit, some additional players would need to transfer.

One of the hard facts of life Coaches face is that some scholarship don't pan out & they must encourage them to transfer.

Transfer portal makes it easier for current staff to help them find a new home. But still some painful decisions !

IMO, we are in better shape this year than last, hopefully no non-qualifiers other than Manual.

All we can do is watch things play out.

FWIW,

I would take -

S Avantae Williams
RB Ashaad Clayton
OL Sedrick Van Pran
WR Justin Shorter

Maybe Toney will go to NFL & give us a slot to use for Shorter !

Let's see what happens !

Last edited:
I don’t think Britt will be in this class so that may open up another spot.

I don’t think Britt will be in this class so that may open up another spot.

Paco,

I had heard that but didn't have anything definite.

Britt & Manual have the physical talent, but at UF academics important as well.

Jan 24th recruiting weekend looks to be huge !

I have to remember that just because Mullen & Staff want a recruit doesn't automatically mean the recruit wants to be a Gator.

Also, Mullen & Staff must have a pretty good idea on who else they are looking to encourage to transfer & what positions they will need to strengthen with the last recruits - if possible !

Spring practice will bring that into better focus of course !

I think we have the best shot at getting Williams and Gibbs. Another WR would be nice and then focus on linemen on either side of the ball, depending how many scholarships are left. It's a very good class already, but would be nice to get some gravy on top.

I think we have the best shot at getting Williams and Gibbs. Another WR would be nice

Ocala,

I could live with that; I had forgotten that Gibbs took an unofficial visit to UF for the FSU game.

He is listed as taking an OV to us on Jan 24th. We'll see if he makes it or if some other school grabs him.

WR Justin Shorter would lose a transfer year but IMO, would still be a good get for Gators.

Ocala,

I could live with that; I had forgotten that Gibbs took an unofficial visit to UF for the FSU game.

He is listed as taking an OV to us on Jan 24th. We'll see if he makes it or if some other school grabs him.

WR Justin Shorter would lose a transfer year but IMO, would still be a good get for Gators.

He's not losing a transfer year. He will have immediate eligibility.

LizardGrad89,

Out of curiosity, why do you say that ?

Transfer portal doesn't show Shorter as an eligible transfer.

Bracey, below, Class 2016 is a Grad Transfer & IS shown as being immediately eligible.

Shorter, Class 2018, is not a Grad Transfer, so he will have to appeal & as we all know the NCAA is horribly inconsistent in situations like this - no matter what you have heard, there are NO Guarantees !

Always willing to hope for the best, but "Insider Information" not always reliable, especially in the waiver appeal process.

WR Justin Shorter
6-4 / 226
0.9962 (HS)
  • 4649600.png
    100%
WR Scott Bracey
6-2 / 200
0.9343 (HS)
Immediate

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

Yep, a LOT of moving parts here. Do Britt or Manuel qualify? Does Van Pran flip? Does Shorter take the leap...

My money is on Shorter/ Manuel/A. Williams/Van Pran...and maybe someone unexpected. I do not have high hopes for any other RBs but am more than happy with Lingard who should be eligible with a legitimate waiver. Roll over any schollies for next year..

LizardGrad89,

Out of curiosity, why do you say that ?

Transfer portal doesn't show Shorter as an eligible transfer.

Bracey, below, Class 2016 is a Grad Transfer & IS shown as being immediately eligible.

Shorter, Class 2018, is not a Grad Transfer, so he will have to appeal & as we all know the NCAA is horribly inconsistent in situations like this - no matter what you have heard, there are NO Guarantees !

Always willing to hope for the best, but "Insider Information" not always reliable, especially in the waiver appeal process.

WR Justin Shorter
6-4 / 226
0.9962 (HS)
  • 4649600.png
    100%
WR Scott Bracey
6-2 / 200
0.9343 (HS)
Immediate

https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Football/TransferPortal/

Because of the sexual harassment situation at Penn State.

All he has to say is he was aware of it and it made him "uncomfortable" so he left and the NCAA will stamp him approved anywhere he wants to go.

UF Total 85 ship limit is way under-filled, due to McLame.
With the yearly 25 limit, it takes a few seasons to balance it out, IF you're doing ti correctly, which Dan is imo.

The limit of consequence to the 2020 class is the 25 per year ship limit.
That's so convoluted (count forward, count backward, etc) that I won't spend any time on attempting to decipher it. :confused:

You can take a look here if you're curious... :cool:
https://247sports.com/college/florida/Season/2020-Football/ScholarshipDistribution/

Last edited:
Reactions: seffnergator
He might sign with you. But then, he already had a chance, didn't he? And he didn't. So there's that.
Sedrick says the plan for him was always to sign in February......along with his teammates. Mullen does have the last visit. Who's the OLine coach on staff? Can't imagine Van Pran wanting to play for whoever over Coach Matt Luke/Ga. Your chances at a flip are minimal....so there's that.

Totally not true. Pure speculation on your part. He hasn't even applied for a wavier yet. He may not even leave Penn St but chances are he will after being bumped on the depth chart by a former walk-on.

Good luck relying on freshmen WRs to replace those 167 catches the gator offense is losing.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Totally not true. Pure speculation on your part. He hasn't even applied for a wavier yet. He may not even leave Penn St but chances are he will after being bumped on the depth chart by a former walk-on.

Good luck relying on freshmen WRs to replace those 167 catches the gator offense is losing.
Grimes, Pitts and Copeland aren’t freshmen last time I checked.
By the way didnt you lose Braun and another Olineman from your commit list? What happened to Zach Evans that you were bragging about in this board? Didn’t you even predict a flip by Gervon Dexter? Your batting average isn’t too good now.

Pitts is a JR and one of the best in the country, Grimes is a Senior and really good, Copeland is a sophomore and on the rise...play maker, Toney is a senior and likely coming back and yes we have some very talented but unproven guys (Marks, Weston and Wells) that are either coming in or have a year under their belt. So funny that you think that we don't have guys that can play at the WR position. Also, dipshit, we have one of the best play callers in college.

You're an idiot, just shooting your mouth off about things you don't know about, and all worried about the Gators...when in fact not everything is all great in Athens when it comes to your offense. No QB really...bad OC...a coach that can't finish and all the talent in the world. I know you don't know what a dummy you sound like but it just reconfirms things.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Grimes, Pitts and Copeland aren’t freshmen last time I checked.
By the way didnt you lose Braun and another Olineman from your commit list? What happened to Zach Evans that you were bragging about in this board? Didn’t you even predict a flip by Gervon Dexter? Your batting average isn’t too good now.
He doesn't know WTH he's talking about. Typical UGA fan...UGA is the best and greatest ever and everything UF sucks.

Pitts is a JR and one of the best in the country, Grimes is a Senior and really good, Copeland is a sophomore and on the rise...play maker, Toney is a senior and likely coming back and yes we have some very talented but unproven guys (Marks, Weston and Wells) that are either coming in or have a year under their belt. So funny that you think that we don't have guys that can play at the WR position. Also, dipshit, we have one of the best play callers in college.

You're an idiot, just shooting your mouth off about things you don't know about, and all worried about the Gators...when in fact not everything is all great in Athens when it comes to your offense. No QB really...bad OC...a coach that can't finish and all the talent in the world. I know you don't know what a dummy you sound like but it just reconfirms things.
Weston is a guy to keep an eye out on

Weston is a guy to keep an eye out on
We have and are stacking talent at WR but if your a freshman last year you're not hardly seeing the field in front of the guys that we had last season at any team in the country...which tells you that Copeland is a baller. In Mullen's offense you have to be able to block at the WR position too and that takes some time. I'm not worried about the talent there.

Other thing these dumb UGA fans don't know that between Billy G and Mullen...2 of the best in the business at developing talent and game scheming at that position...they are incredible and have been doing it together for a long time. Outside of Spurrier we've never been better than when they were in Gainesville in my lifetime.

I'm a man I'm 40!

Rick Wells 6-0 202 rsSr.
He's been buried on the depth chart behind future NFL receivers.

Travis McGriff had the same problem in his time here.
Then as a Sr, Travis led the SEC in receiving yards with 1,357 yds, and 10 TD's. 1st Team All SEC.

Will Wells make a big jump in his rsSr season, now that the depth chart has opened up for 2020?
That's yet to be seen, but I wish him well with it.... :cool:

The Gator's WR cupboard is not anything even close to empty. o_O

You DO know what's going on at Penn State, don't you? EVERYBODY who decides to transfer is going to get immediate eligibility. BOOK IT.

As for relying on freshmen WR's, that's literally what YOUR TEAM will be doing. WE have multiple upperclassmen and starters returning at WR and TE. Good GOD you are stupid.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Other thing these dumb UGA fans don't know that between Billy G

I've never forgiven Billy G for allowing Carlos Dunlap to get drunk at a party before the SECCG in 09 when he passsd out at a red light and got busted. Therefore not playing against Bama and causing us to have zero pass rush against Greg freaking McElroy.

Unforgivable.

I've never forgiven Billy G for allowing Carlos Dunlap to get drunk at a party before the SECCG in 09 when he passsd out at a red light and got busted. Therefore not playing against Bama and causing us to have zero pass rush against Greg freaking McElroy.

Unforgivable.
It was a game changer. Losing him for that game was devastating, player was wrong too. Billy G is a great coach though.

It was a game changer. Losing him for that game was devastating, player was wrong too. Billy G is a great coach though.

I mean, he is, but him being there and not getting Dunlap home safely very well could have cost us a national title.

it was early on in that game when I realized my fears were correct. No pass rush. So McElroy has time to make his safe little throws and Mark Ingram got space. Then he won the Heisman.

A devestating moment.

Unforgivable.
Crazy thing Danny is Nick Saban said that very thing himself. He said the one player they were most concerned about didn't play and it made a huge difference in the game.

Crazy thing Danny is Nick Saban said that very thing himself. He said the one player they were most concerned about didn't play and it made a huge difference in the game.

I knew not having Percy would hurt, like it had all year, but after two Bama possessions, I knew we were screwed unless our offense just turned it on, and they had trouble doing that all year.

hard game to watch. A decade later still frustrating.

I also like that I'm as smart as Nick Saban.

Reactions: Countygator1
These are the 2020 targets who made it to G'ville this weekend -

WR Justin Shorter - Penn State transfer

RB Jahmyr Gibbs - Ga Tech commit

RB Ashaad Clayton - Univ Colorado commit

TE/ATH Dee Beckwith

S Avantae Williams

SDE Princely Umanmielen

Also in attendance are -

CB Avery Helm - Gator signee

S/Ath Marc Britt - Gator commit - sort of

After a Gators' in-home visit with Zachary Evans, he did not show up in G'ville for OV; back to UGA ?

It would be great to get a few positive announcements tonight or Sunday !

These are the 2020 targets who made it to G'ville this weekend -

WR Justin Shorter - Penn State transfer

RB Jahmyr Gibbs - Ga Tech commit

RB Ashaad Clayton - Univ Colorado commit

TE/ATH Dee Beckwith

S Avantae Williams

SDE Princely Umanmielen

Also in attendance are -

CB Avery Helm - Gator signee

S/Ath Marc Britt - Gator commit - sort of

After a Gators' in-home visit with Zachary Evans, he did not show up in G'ville for OV; back to UGA ?

It would be great to get a few positive announcements tonight or Sunday !
We need Shorter, Williams, Beckwith and a RB out of that group.

Unforgivable.

Who is the Billy G you two keep referring to? Gonzales?

It was Billy Latsko's party. Numerous players were at that party. Latsko isn't responsible for what those grown dudes did.

Billy Latsko was a bad dude, but he wasn't bad enough to keep badazz Carlos Dunlap from drinking.

I mean, he is, but him being there and not getting Dunlap home safely very well could have cost us a national title.

it was early on in that game when I realized my fears were correct. No pass rush. So McElroy has time to make his safe little throws and Mark Ingram got space. Then he won the Heisman.

A devestating moment.
I remember it like it was yesterday. bad night for the Gator faithful.

Who is the Billy G you two keep referring to? Gonzales?

It was Billy Latsko's party. Numerous players were at that party. Latsko isn't responsible for what those grown dudes did.

Billy Latsko was a bad dude, but he wasn't bad enough to keep badazz Carlos Dunlap from drinking.

didn't say Billy G was throwing a party. I'm saying Gonzales was aware of the situation and allowed Dunlap to get in a car.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT