ADVERTISEMENT

Gators OL Joshua Braun Intends to Transfer

Damn, This is serious !

A member of Florida's offensive line depth, Joshua Braun intends to transfer following the conclusion of this season.

Sorry - this is a UF sports/football board so I don't have any of SadGator's repulsive pics

https://www.si.com/college/florida/
Backup offensive lineman hitting the portal? Happens to all programs. These kids want to play.

Reactions: KingofHedgehogs
Well, he's finishing out the season and I'm sure Napier will grab somebody from the portal.

I understand why he's leaving, playing 2 games and all, but the oline does look slightly better than last year(not saying à lot).....so I'm not too concerned by this one situation.

Well, he's finishing out the season and I'm sure Napier will grab somebody from the portal.

I understand why he's leaving, playing 2 games and all, but the oline does look slightly better than last year(not saying à lot).....so I'm not too concerned by this one situation.
King,

See your point but FWIW he will probably not play anymore this season to preserve his redshirt.

EDIT
“Josh had to make a decision about his future. He felt like he had to preserve his redshirt and enter the portal when it opens. He left the team,
Mike Braun (father) told GO.
https://www.on3.com/teams/florida-gators/news/gators-ol-joshua-braun-is-no-longer-with-the-program/

Struck me strongly because when he signed, after Pittman left to become HC at Arkansas, he was highly regarded.

We only have 2 OL recruits so far in this class & Transfer Portal a crapshoot - not holding my breath there.

I agree with King, the oline is definitely better this year. He won't be the only one to hit the portal. Another 5-7 players will do the same.

Reactions: PacoGator19
I agree with King, the oline is definitely better this year. He won't be the only one to hit the portal. Another 5-7 players will do the same.
Best of luck to him. By all accounts he’s a good kid and been a good teammate. Not playing very much and he’s buried on the depth chart.

I would say we will have much more than 5-7 players hit the portal from now until the end of spring.
There is going to be a major overhaul of the roster.

Reactions: ocalaman
Best of luck to him. By all accounts he’s a good kid and been a good teammate. Not playing very much and he’s buried on the depth chart.

I would say we will have much more than 5-7 players hit the portal from now until the end of spring.
I saw on another board that there could be over 20 players hitting the portal.

Reactions: PacoGator19

Yep I think it will be over 10 probably.

With the new transfer rules, redshirt rules, early signing periods, etc. every school is going to have players transferring out through the portal and other players transferring in. I'm not aware of any UK players announcing they're entering the portal yet, but I know it's coming. Last year we lost at least 12 players and only brought in 7 new guys. The good news in that is that it enabled us to sign a few more recruited HS players.

I used to look down on players that shut it down halfway through the season, but with the change in the rules I totally understand why they want to preserve an extra year of eligibility.

We are trying to sign a full recruiting class. We also have a very young team. We don’t have a lot of seniors and we need scholarships. Lots of guys buried on the depth chart are going to be “nudged” to possibly look elsewhere for PT. I’m surprised we didn’t have more hit the transfer portal during the last offseason. I expect more this coming off-season.

Reactions: ocalaman
2022 Xfer In's:
OG O'Cyrus Torrence 6-5 347 Jr - Louisiana
OT Kamryn Waites 6-8 373 rsFr - Louisiana
OT Jordan Herman 6-8 370 So - Hutchinson JC

Plus 2023 Commits:
IOL Knijeah Harris 6-3 335
OT Bryce Lovett 6-5 330
=====

Will Xfer Out, already off the team.
OL Josh Braun 6-6 351 Jr

USC is actually a good example of this. Lincoln Riley came in and overhauled a massive amount of the roster this spring. I want to say it was something like 60% of the roster? That sounds silly but in the new age of college football, you're going to have it constantly.

Something I don't think people are looking at is what this means. You build the relationships before they sign (NIL or not) and then in a year or two they decide to transfer. First thoughts? The coaches they already have relationships with.

We're early into this but I think this is going to be the new normal.

Reactions: Gator Fever
USC is actually a good example of this. Lincoln Riley came in and overhauled a massive amount of the roster this spring. I want to say it was something like 60% of the roster? That sounds silly but in the new age of college football, you're going to have it constantly.

Something I don't think people are looking at is what this means. You build the relationships before they sign (NIL or not) and then in a year or two they decide to transfer. First thoughts? The coaches they already have relationships with.

We can get some good transfers if we spend the NIL money. USC bought a bunch of good transfers like you say.

I think right now we still have a lot of kids who are leaving in order to get NIL deals; their schools are concentrating on new kids and not so much on current kids, by leaving these kids can sign with the top bidder.

While I agree that there will continue to be a steady stream of players through the portal, I think it will taper off once everybody has an NIL deal they are happy with. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if NIL contracts didn't start having buyout clauses in them soon (they might already), similar to coaches contracts. So if a team wants you to move on, you get a lump sum payment, but if you want out, you have to pony up some bucks, unless the team agrees to waive the requirement.

Reactions: Countygator1
ADVERTISEMENT