ADVERTISEMENT

Gators add Penn St G Jones to the team

Well we should have enough guards now. I guess it would be Appleby, McKissic and now Jones starting most likely.

We need some more size. I would like to beat the noles again one day in hoops.

The 2 new guard transfers are listed at 6'3" so they have decent size but I do like having one guard be 6'4" + for matchup issues with teams like KY.

Crazy if Johnson doesn't play most likely our whole starting lineup will be 5 transfers.

Appleby
McKissic
Jones
Castleton
Felder

If they mesh with each other that isn't a bad starting lineup and Castleton and Felder are going to pose a lot of problems for teams taking the ball inside. Felder is pretty quick also and can cover those faster small forwards that like to shoot 3s.

Probably makes us talented enough to reach the. 2022 elite eight now, huh Fever?

lol Maybe not the most NBA draft type talent on this roster but that starting 5 even without Johnson is pretty experienced and would seem to be a good balance of players. White has at least done what he needed to do in the transfer portal.

I am hoping White will finally beat FSU and actually win something like the SEC or the SEC tournament at least. If not he needs to be fired on the spot if we don't reach the Sweet 16.

lol Maybe not the most NBA draft type talent on this roster but that starting 5 even without Johnson is pretty experienced and would seem to be a good balance of players. White has at least done what he needed to do in the transfer portal.

I am hoping White will finally beat FSU and actually win something like the SEC or the SEC tournament at least. If not he needs to be fired on the spot if we don't reach the Sweet 16.

As I said, he needs to make some serious coaching changes, mainly in philosophy.

if he does, then bully for him and the program.

White gets you to the tournament every year. What more do you want?

1396150640000-USP-NCAA-Basketball-NCAA-Tournament-Florida-vs-Da.jpg

Has White done this yet? Usually its for winning the SEC championship or making a Final Four. Sloan, Kruger and Donovan did that.

@instaGATOR - did Mike White get to cut down the nets for making the Final Four of the NIT at La Tech?

Reactions: rdgtr
I admit that White has picked up some good transfers from the portal and could put together a decent roster for this next season. However he’s still the coach so I don’t have a lot of confidence in us actually accomplishing much

Somebody in the Florida Athletic Department is an excellent strategist in portal play...both our coaches are well-prepared in identifying and bringing in talent to fill needs....

either that, or we have a kick ass bag man....shhhhhhhh....

Last edited:
Hope Castleton makes it back. If Johnson returns, that would be so incredibly amazing. But more importantly just want that kid to be healthy.

Reactions: sadgator
As to the Media-morons final poll rankings: (rankings are opinions, while the final NCAA Tourney Standing is FACT.

When you make the Rnd of 32, then you're at the very least, one of the best 32 teams in the nation, (17-32).
=====

As for the goings and comings...

I'll take raw talent combined with committed teamwork, over simple experience any day. When the gears are worn or simply won't engage, then simple experience (years on the roster) doesn't count for much imo.
UF has had many successful Fr starters at PG, so I'm not afraid to start a Fr.
=====

Roster -- Opinions will vary, as they always do.

CG Mann - If former PG Mike can't coach, then how do you explain the one year progression of Tre? He's now off to get a job, so good luck.

CG/SF Lewis - His raw talent and potential were wasted by his own selfish attitude and his off the court distractions. I'll not miss him. (some developmental or practice squad, or the EU for him).

PF/C Castleton - asking for status for getting a job, understandable, will likely return imo.
==========

Guard Turnover: Locke & Glover portal - Mann & Lewis to NBA draft

Transfer Portal - Out -- Looking for more playing time elsewhere.

SG Locke - Him I'll miss some, but not a big deal imo due to his game to game inconsistencies. 'When he's hot he's hot, and when he's not, he's not....'

Glover - T-O numbers greater than Assist's but he wants to play anyway. A 2nd tier talent that could maybe start elsewhere.

PF/C Payne - Decent physical talent but a serious lack of maturity. It's addition by subtraction in this case.

PF Osayi Osifo - Backup minutes at best. A raw clumsy foul machine. Needs more coaching and work, but he just wants to play more now.

They left because Mike can't coach some say.
Then how can Mike so quickly replace them with better players???
==========

Transfer Portal -- In

G Brandon McKissic 6-3 195 Sr Grad-xfer
Pts 17.2 - Rbs 3.7 - Ast 3.3 - FG% 50.8
(Glover 5-11)

G Myreon Jones 6-3 180 Sr -- PSU's leading scorer.
Pts 15.3 - Rbs 2.7 - Ast 2.0 - FG's 39.4%
(Appleby 6-1)

CG/SF Kowiace Reeves 6-6 180 ***** Fr -- Incoming Recruit
20-21 - Pts 27.0 - Rbs 9.9 - Ast 2.5 - FG% 45.0 - Stl 1.7 - Blk 1.6
(Mann 6-5)

The Florida backcourt has effectively been retooled with length, athleticism and offensive firepower. -- SI
---------
PF CJ Felder 6-7 230 - Sr Grad-xfer from BC
Pts 9.7 - Rbs 5.9 - Ast 0.9 - FG% 45.9

PF Anthony Duruji 6-7 220 Sr - Excellent starter returns.
Pts 6.1 - Rbs 4.4 - Ast 0.6 - FG% 43.8

PF/C Colin Castleton 6-11 231 Sr
Pts 12.4 - Rbs 6.4 - Ast 1.1 - FG% 69.7 - Blk 2.3

Still looking for 1-2 other PF/C types in the portal.
And still praying that SF/PF KJ can return to the floor.
=====

No insider knowledge, just my own W-a-G for early/now.

PG Appleby and/or Jones

CG/SF McKissic, and/or Lane, Ruzhentsev

SF/CG Johnson and/or Reeves

PF Duruji and/or Felder

PF/C Castleton and/or Jitoboh

Others yet to come??

Starters, positions, and playing minutes earned are yet to be decided. It's a long off season.

Last edited:
The Basketball Final Polls take into consideration an entire year's body of work. The NCAA tournament is just that - a series of games to decide the national champion. Winning a 1st round game against a lower seed does not in any way make you one of the 17th - 32nd best teams in the country. It just means you won 1 game to add to the other 25-30 games already played. The loss in the next round counts as well. The polls are more accurate. The year White's Gators made it to the Elite 8 did not mean we were among the 5th - 8th best teams in the country. We finished ranked #20. It's the same way in baseball, softball and other sports that have 64 team tournaments. The only teams that finish in the Top 4 are those who reach the Final 4. The rest of the teams are judged by their entire year's body of work. Florida finished with the 34th most votes this year, tied with Winthrop. That is the only ranking that counts, not a nebulous, possible 17-32 ranking.

Last edited:
There (polls) is an opinion spewed out by the media-morons.
Your own opinion is just as good/bad as mine is.

Opinions also seed the tourney.
There are 4 that are 7 seeds, including UF. 4 x 7 = 28
UF finished in the 17-32 range.
Looks like the seeding was pretty much on the mark.

IMO, the game officials GAVE the game to OR.

They called constant fouls on UF, giving the leading team in the NCAA at FT% an easy path to a comeback win.
At the half, UF was 2 of 3 on FT's. -- WTF???
With under 6 minutes left in the game, UF was still 2 of 3 at the FT line.
They got boned by the biased/incompetent/corrupt officials
That was the Oral Robbery Ripoff, much like the football Rip-off on Rocky-Top.
Opinions - Reasons - Excuses - Depending on your own agenda and bias....

IMO, the game officials GAVE the game to OR.
They called constant fouls on UF, giving the leading team in the NCAA at FT% an easy path to a comeback win.
At the half, UF was 2 of 3 on FT's. -- WTF???
With under 6 minutes left in the game, UF was still 2 of 3 at the FT line.
They got boned by the biased/incompetent/corrupt officials
That was the Oral Robbery Ripoff, much like the football Rip-off on Rocky-Top.
Opinions - Reasons - Excuses - Depending on your own agenda and bias....

So White deciding to go slow mode with a double digit lead (his favorite way to blow 2nd half leads) with a lame excuse we were tired even though OR was playing less players had nothing to do with it?

So White deciding to go slow mode with a double digit lead (his favorite way to blow 2nd half leads) with a lame excuse we were tired even though OR was playing less players had nothing to do with it?
Just remember, Fever, that Mike White is undefeated. Every game his team lost was either due to cheating refs of stupid players who can't execute a perfect game plan. And all the players who have transferred out after he recruited them to UF, he really didn't want them anyway.

Reactions: Gator Fever
College administrators are the absolute best people to trust to make the right decisions. Anything and everything they say and do is totally above board with the best interests of the students, the university and community in mind.

College administrators are the absolute best people to trust to make the right decisions. Anything and everything they say and do is totally above board with the best interests of the students, the university and community in mind.
This is one point that is overlooked too often. When I look around at some of the other SEC programs that are dealing with NCAA investigations, criminal charges and other negative circumstances I am thankful we have quality leadership at UF. It hasn’t always been so. With this in mind we should refrain from rushing (I know six years is not exactly rushing) to rid ourselves of a coach who may yet prove himself. He certainly does all he can to get the best quality players to come here.

Last edited:
This is one point that is overlooked to often. When I look around at some of the other SEC programs that are dealing with NCAA investigations, criminal charges and other negative circumstances I am thankful we have quality leadership at UF. It hasn’t always been so. With this in mind we should refrain from rushing (I know six years is not exactly rushing) to rid ourselves of a coach who may yet prove himself. He certainly does all he can to get the best quality players to come here.
Great post....

This is one point that is overlooked too often. When I look around at some of the other SEC programs that are dealing with NCAA investigations, criminal charges and other negative circumstances I am thankful we have quality leadership at UF. It hasn’t always been so. With this in mind we should refrain from rushing (I know six years is not exactly rushing) to rid ourselves of a coach who may yet prove himself. He certainly does all he can to get the best quality players to come here.
I posted this tongue in cheek with a lot of cynicism intended.

It seems even adjusting for the numbers basketball players don't seem to get arrested anything like the football players and the arrogant NBA draft talent ones are gone so quickly they don't have nearly the time the football ones do to get an arrest for something pretty bad.

Mullen was one of the biggest coaches in the country for looking the other way on crazy crap high ranked recruits and players did but I think as long as you don't accept repeat major offenders its not that big of a deal even though I pointed that out when he was first hired. I bet you could find a bunch of coaches in college basketball that haven't had any player arrests hardly for things not traffic related like a suspended license.

🤔
-- Vernon Maxwell says hello. (coke)
Jason Williams says hello. (Repeatedly with Weed)
Teddy Dupay says hello. (gambling on games)
BillyD was eventually forced to dismiss both from the team.

A few years ago, two tennis-sea B-Ballers were thrown off the team and rushed outta town without a trail (attempt to protect the rubber dollies reputation) for selling coke at night on a street corner in no-Knox.

There is a very long list of such around the country, but so far, not at UF under Mike.

HC Sean Miller's AZ program has been under scrutiny since 2017 for alleged NCAA violations.
NCAA allegations of academic misconduct, a bribery scheme (paying recruits 20K to sign) and the cover-up of a loan.
>>>> JUST WIN BABY, cause that's all that matters now daze.... (AZ's entitled fans)
😎

With 3 Elite-8's and 5 PAC-12's, he'd be loved by the entitled fans here....

Last edited:
🤔
-- Vernon Maxwell says hello. (coke)
Jason Williams says hello. (Repeatedly with Weed)
Teddy Dupay says hello. (gambling on games)
BillyD was eventually forced to dismiss both from the team.

A few years ago, two tennis-sea B-Ballers were thrown off the team and rushed outta town without a trail (attempt to protect the rubber dollies reputation) for selling coke at night on a street corner in no-Knox.

There is a very long list of such around the country, but so far, not at UF under Mike.

HC Sean Miller's AZ program has been under scrutiny since 2017 for alleged NCAA violations.
NCAA allegations of academic misconduct, a bribery scheme (paying recruits 20K to sign) and the cover-up of a loan.
>>>> JUST WIN BABY, cause that's all that matters now daze.... (AZ's entitled fans)
😎

With 3 Elite-8's and 5 PAC-12's, he'd be loved by the entitled fans here....
You want me to name the teams now? Mike White has done nothing special with that?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT