ADVERTISEMENT

Gator Volleyball in NCAA's

ocalaman

Bull Gator
Sep 4, 2002
Florida (24-6) faced off against FSU (19-9) in Orlando in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament. Gators just won in straight sets, 25-21, 25-20 & 25-13. They will play the winner on tonight's match pitting Florida Gulf Coast against #13 seed UCF Friday at 7 pm. Gator freshman star Thayer Hall was back in action after missing about a month due to injury. If the Gators advance the the Sweet 16 they more than likely would face #4 BYU next week. The only SEC team that got a Top 16 seed this year was Kentucky at #10. Tennessee, Missouri and South Carolina are also in the tournament from the SEC.

Florida Gulf Coast upset #13 seed UCF 3-2, so they will face the Gators Friday at 7 pm.

ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida moves to 22-0 in the first round of the tournament.
Mary Wise's legacy just continues to build. :)
GoooooooooGATORS!

Reactions: TennesseeGator
ORLANDO, Fla. – Florida moves to 22-0 in the first round of the tournament.
Mary Wise's legacy just continues to build. :)
GoooooooooGATORS!
Mary Wise had run up some incredible stats as UF volleyball coach. 28 consecutive years with at least 25 wins is amazing, considering they only play 30 regular season matches. Here's a list of the accomplishments under Mary Wise, whom I honestly believe is THE best coach the University of Florida has ever had.

Wise By The Numbers
  • 905 – Career Victories (5th-most in Division I history)
  • .847 – Career Winning Percentage (2nd-highest among active Division I coaches; 3rd-highest in NCAA history—all divisions, min. 20 seasons)
  • 824 – Career Victories at Florida (4th-most by any Division I coach at one school in NCAA history)
  • 8 – NCAA Final Four Appearances (One of six programs with eight since 1991)
  • 70 – NCAA Tournament Victories (7th-most in Division I history)
  • 26 – Top-15 Finishes in AVCA Division I Coaches Poll since 1991 (tied for 2nd-most in that span)
  • 24 – NCAA Regional Semifinal Appearances
  • 23 – SEC Championships (4th-most in any SEC sport by a men’s/women’s team since volleyball’s 1979 debut)
  • 15 – SEC Coach of the Year Awards
  • 13 – Undefeated SEC Seasons
  • 12 – SEC Tournament Titles (discontinued after 2005)
  • 3 – AVCA Division I National Coach of the Year Awards (one of two coaches in history with three)

Gators’ Individual Achievements Under Wise
  • 102 – All-America Honors (amassed by 39 Gators)
  • 62 – All-SEC Gators (combined for 135 honors)
  • 13 – SEC Athletes of the Year (19 total awards)
  • 11 – SEC Tournament MVP Awards
  • 7 – Academic All-Americans (11 total honors)
  • 4 – NCAA Hitting Percentage Leaders since 1994 (Only program with more than two)
  • 3 – SEC Scholar-Athletes of the Year
  • 3 – Volleyball Olympians (2 indoor, 1 beach doubles)
  • .476 – Career Hitting Percentage for Chloe Mann (Division I record)
  • 206 – SEC Academic Honor Roll accolades

Gators’ Historic Streaks Under Wise
  • 28 – Consecutive NCAA Tournament Berths (tied for 4th-longest streak in Division I history)
  • 28 – Consecutive 25-Win Seasons (Longest active Division I streak by 11 seasons)
  • 22 – Consecutive Top-15 Finishes in AVCA Division I Coaches Poll (2nd-longest streak in history)
  • 18 – Consecutive SEC Titles from 1991-2008 (Division I women’s volleyball record)
  • 145 – Consecutive Regular Season SEC Matches Won from 1995-2004 (Division I record)
  • 121 – Consecutive SEC Matches Won from 1998-2004 (5th-longest streak in NCAA history; 2nd-longest streak in Division I history)
  • 105 – Consecutive Sets Won in 2003 (2nd-longest streak in NCAA history)
  • 58 – Consecutive Home Matches Won from 1990-94 (6th-longest streak in Division I history)

Wise’s Trailblazing Feats
  • USA Volleyball All-Time Great Coach
  • Most career victories (905) among women Division I head coaches in NCAA history
  • Only female in NCAA history to coach in the national championship match
  • Only female in NCAA history to coach in multiple Final Fours
  • Fastest female head coach to 500 career wins, then 800 career wins
  • 28th season at Florida (in 2018) would tie her with baseball's Dave Fuller for the longest head coaching tenure in school history
  • At age 21, became the youngest Division I head coach ever hired (at Iowa State)

Yep, Hall of Fame is guaranteed... :)

I doubt that any other Gator HC will ever top her SEC Championships totals.. :eek:

Just watch the Gators earn their way into the Sweet 16 by swamping Florida Gulf Coast 25-17, 25-13, 25-16. Other than too many serving errors, UF played extremely well, sweeping the UCF regional 6-0.

We get the winner of tonight's match between BYU & Utah in the Sweet 16. If we can win that match we would then play probably Texas for the right to go to the Final 4. Difficult, no doubt, but the Gators are talented and can play with anybody.

Gators will go to Provo, Utah to take on #4 seed, 29-1 Brigham Young, I believe on Friday. The winner of that match will face the winner of #5 Texas & Michigan in the Elite 8 game.

Gator match vs 29-1 BYU just started on ESPN3. BYU has only lost 3 matches on their home court in the last 6 years. Big, loud home crowd. UF jumped out to 5-0 lead in 1st set, forcing an early timeout. Goooo Gators. Winner gets Texas tomorrow in an Elite 8 match.

Reactions: instaGATOR
Gators win set #1 25-23, only the 11th set BYU has lost all year!!! SEC champ, #10 Kentucky got swept 3-0 today by #7 Nebraska. And #15 Oregon has knocked out #2 Minnesota 3-1.

Reactions: Jasonbergerlaw
UF getting destroyed in 2nd set. I'm taking a break and will come back for the crucial 3rd set.

BYU's defense has been getting the best of the Gators. Blocking shot after shot. Down 18-12 in 3rd set.

Gators lose 3rd set 25-17. Their defense is frustrating our girls, leading to bad shots and good ones getting stuffed.

Mary Wise has established such a pattern of excellence that ONLY getting to the Sweet 16 seems disappointing. UF lost to BYU 3-1, but they only lose 2 players off this team and will be a force next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT