• No

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Used to hate him, but not anymore

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Even Janitor

Baby Gator
Jan 4, 2016
Do you guys like Urban Meyer? Is there a general consensus on how you guys feel?

Personally I think he'd be picking up trash alongside the highway if not for Tim Tebow.

Reactions: GwinnettDawg
This idiot post began GATOR FANS...

So of course we immediately get a FSUcks criminole butting in... :confused:

This is the perfect reason to let this crap die, which is what I attempted to instigate. :cool:

Reactions: fsu939913
Do you guys like Urban Meyer? Is there a general consensus on how you guys feel?

Personally I think he'd be picking up trash alongside the highway if not for Tim Tebow.

If you knew anything about anything, you would not say that.

How is it that you joined in 2016 and this is your first post?

I don't think posts on other sites count as posts here anymore. So he could be a regular on the Dawg or a Vol sites (oh, not the Vols, their site died), but if this is his first post here it would be 1.

Reactions: sadgator
Meyer is one of the GOAT college football coaches.

MasculineAlarmingKiwi-small.gif

Dude has three nattys at two different schools, an 85% overall winning pct, and was named National Coach of the DECADE by The Sporting News.

But I guess we can throw all that out the window, because the Janitor doesn't think much of him.

Dude has three nattys at two different schools, an 85% overall winning pct, and was named National Coach of the DECADE by The Sporting News.

But I guess we can throw all that out the window, because the Janitor doesn't think much of him.
You are correct! You can love him or hate him but his results speak for themselves.

That's why I gave the Tim Tebow caveat. Without him he doesn't win any at UF and likely doesn't even get the OSU job. Even that natty he only won because Cardale Jones played the best 3 games he'd ever played. If JT Barrett played against Alabama they probably lose that playoff game.

That's why I gave the Tim Tebow caveat. Without him he doesn't win any at UF and likely doesn't even get the OSU job. Even that natty he only won because Cardale Jones played the best 3 games he'd ever played. If JT Barrett played against Alabama they probably lose that playoff game.
Can’t you say that about lots and lots of coaches that have won natty titles? Guess what? You need great players to win a natty title. That isn’t surprising in the least.

The fact of the matter is he had Tim Tebow and he recruited Tim Tebow. Not sure playing the “what if” game really proves much of anything.

How many coaches have won 3 natty’s??

Can’t you say that about lots and lots of coaches that have won natty titles? Guess what? You need great players to win a natty title. That isn’t surprising in the least.

The fact of the matter is he had Tim Tebow and he recruited Tim Tebow. Not sure playing the “what if” game really proves much of anything.

How many coaches have won 3 natty’s??

How many coaches spring boarded their career because of one player? That's the gist of my OP. What player has impacted an individual coach more than Tebow? Jordan and Phil Jackson for sure, but who else?

All I'm saying is that if Time Tebow didn't exist Urban Meyer would be an afterthought in college coaching history.

How many coaches spring boarded their career because of one player? That's the gist of my OP. What player has impacted an individual coach more than Tebow? Jordan and Phil Jackson for sure, but who else?

All I'm saying is that if Time Tebow didn't exist Urban Meyer would be an afterthought in college coaching history.
I’m pretty sure Meyer did really good at Bowling Green and went undefeated and won a BCS bowl game at Utah that enabled him to get the UF job. His successes/winning started before he ever got to UF.

Are you saying Phil Jackson isn’t that good of a coach also??

I mean Spurrier didn’t win a natty until Wuerffel. Bowden didn’t win a title until Ward. I could go on and on.

In two years Meyer turned Utah from a school that hadn't won an outright conference title since they were members of the Mountain States Conference (before the WAC) into a school that went undefeated and finished #4 in the polls. He made the program so strong that his DC was able to take over the program and lead it to so much success they were asked to join the Pac-12.

We got Meyer because of his connection with Bernie Machen, the UF president at the time. But he was the hottest commodity on the coaching market, and we got him before Notre Dame did. Trust me when I tell you, if he didn't have the path to success through Florida, he would have had it elsewhere.

I'd also like to point out that he recruited a TON of great players. If we hadn't gotten Tebow, we would have gotten another QB to lead us to success. Need I remind you he also brought in Cam Newton? Another QB who won a national championship?

Tebow was the GOAT, but we won it all in 2006 where he didn't do a lot, so consider that.

In two years Meyer turned Utah from a school that hadn't won an outright conference title since they were members of the Mountain States Conference (before the WAC) into a school that went undefeated and finished #4 in the polls. He made the program so strong that his DC was able to take over the program and lead it to so much success they were asked to join the Pac-12.

We got Meyer because of his connection with Bernie Machen, the UF president at the time. But he was the hottest commodity on the coaching market, and we got him before Notre Dame did. Trust me when I tell you, if he didn't have the path to success through Florida, he would have had it elsewhere.

I'd also like to point out that he recruited a TON of great players. If we hadn't gotten Tebow, we would have gotten another QB to lead us to success. Need I remind you he also brought in Cam Newton? Another QB who won a national championship?

Tebow was the GOAT, but we won it all in 2006 where he didn't do a lot, so consider that.
All good points and correct. Meyer would have won a 3rd national title at UF if Cam Newton didn’t get booted.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Meyer has some character flaws, but don't we all? Great recruiter, great coach. His accomplishments at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida & Ohio State are incredible. Personally, I wouldn't be in favor of him being added to Florida's Ring of Honor, but wouldn't be surprised if it happens one day. He meets the qualifications for sure. I just don't like the way he handled his last 2 years at UF and the way he left the program. But that's just me. Definitely a first ballot College Football HOF guy.

All good points and correct. Meyer would have won a 3rd national title at UF if Cam Newton didn’t get booted.

I will say we had as much talent in 2010 as Auburn did, other than at QB. But we also had Addazio at OC, and that was a problem I don't think even Cam Newton could have overcome. Still, Auburn did it with Chizick. So maybe.

Now, if Mullen had stayed I think we win it all in 2009, and with both Mullen and Newton, I think we win it in 2010. But I wear highly tinted Orange and Blue glasses, so there's that.

I’m pretty sure Meyer did really good at Bowling Green and went undefeated and won a BCS bowl game at Utah that enabled him to get the UF job. His successes/winning started before he ever got to UF.

I mean Spurrier didn’t win a natty until Wuerffel. Bowden didn’t win a title until Ward. I could go on and on.

Sounds a lot like rich rod, Greg Schiano, butch jones, Scott frost, and I’m sure some others that I’m forgetting that looked like the next big thing and then floundered.

Give any one of them Tim Tebow for 4 years and their career trajectory is vastly different.

Hell put Tebow with Bielema and he’s probably still the coach at Arkansas.

All I’m saying is that Tebow was a once in a lifetime player that drastically altered Meyers life. Without him I think Meyer is another Scott Frost, Butch Jones type coach.

Sounds a lot like rich rod, Greg Schiano, butch jones, Scott frost, and I’m sure some others that I’m forgetting that looked like the next big thing and then floundered.

Give any one of them Tim Tebow for 4 years and their career trajectory is vastly different.

Hell put Tebow with Bielema and he’s probably still the coach at Arkansas.

All I’m saying is that Tebow was a once in a lifetime player that drastically altered Meyers life. Without him I think Meyer is another Scott Frost, Butch Jones type coach.

Had he left Utah and done nothing, you would be correct. But he won 3 national championships. Try to remember that he won a national title at Florida when Tebow was a true frosh and only played spot duty. He didn't NEED Tebow for that first title. So your entire argument falls flat on its face. Sorry not sorry.

Reactions: PacoGator19
Had he left Utah and done nothing, you would be correct. But he won 3 national championships. Try to remember that he won a national title at Florida when Tebow was a true frosh and only played spot duty. He didn't NEED Tebow for that first title. So your entire argument falls flat on its face. Sorry not sorry.

gtfo, Tebow was the goal line running back his freshman year. They absolutely don’t win the natty without him.

Reactions: Billbra5ky

He knows how to beat Saban’s ass, so that’s gotta be worth something.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax

If he had no Tebow, Cam would have had more playing time...and who knows more playing time could have led to less time to jack around. He could have possibly won at least one of not two titles with Cam.

He also went undefeated at Utah. Didn't he also go undefeated at tOSU when they had a bowl ban. Seems they did but I'm too lazy to care to look it up.

If he had no Tebow, Cam would have had more playing time...and who knows more playing time could have led to less time to jack around. He could have possibly won at least one of not two titles with Cam.

He also went undefeated at Utah. Didn't he also go undefeated at tOSU when they had a bowl ban. Seems they did but I'm too lazy to care to look it up.
You are correct.

He did go 12-0 at OSU that year. Under Meyer, Utah had an undefeated regular season, Florida had an undefeated regular season, and OSU had an undefeated regular season.

But he was a terrible coach who was just lucky he had Tebow.

Reactions: TennesseeGator
Urban will coach again. He is just too good and young enough. There are plenty of schools out there that would give their left________ (fill in the blank) to get him in the fold.

I just simply don't like him. It's just simply absurd to pretend he's not a phenomenal coach.

I still don't like the way he left Florida. I still believe the health excuse was nothing more than an excuse. He knew well and good that he had a window of greatness that he built at Florida and when we lost to Bama in 2009, he knew the window was closed.

Recruitment was still fine but I truly don't believe he focused much on development of younger talent after 2008.

that "epic" 2010 class turned out to be largely headcases with a lot of stars.

he knew. He saw the writing on the wall.

now, I'm not saying that's unfair. In the last decade, I've grown to understand that more and more, so my vitriol isn't what it was when I was 21. But his excuse is frustrating.

bad PR though to straight up say that you knew the team was lost and your success wasn't going to be what it was, but don't sob story me about spending time with your family.

we also saw this begin to happen at Ohio State after the same amount of tenure that he had at Florida. Message got old, stale. And locker room personalities flared.

He is who he is.

and yes, I'll be shocked if he doesn't coach again. I really thought USC would pull the trigger this past season and full-court press for Meyer.

And the truth is, he would kill it there.

lol at using spurrier to make your point. His trickeroo dipsy doo offense worked until people figured it out. He’s the original Gus malzahn. Smoke and mirrors to hide his ineptitude as a coach.

The NFL proved that I’m right about spurrier too. At least Meyer isn’t dumb enough to try his tricks with the big boys. Guess I’ll give him credit for that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT