ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Stamper (Director of Player Assessment) joins Urban Meyer and the Jaguars

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
"... Ash is currently still a member of the Texas coaching staff as new head coach Steve Sarkisian makes the move from Alabama after the Crimson Tide’s national title victory.

Sarkisian is expected to mold his own staff and it is unknown if Ash would return under Sarkisian."
https://247sports.com/college/flori...-Dan-Mullen-Gators-Steve-Sarkisian-159129557/

Ash played Safety in college (Drake) & has coached DB & Safety as well as being a DC at the college level.

IMO, he is young enough (47), to interact with young HS players & be an effective recruiter.

I have no idea where Mullen is headed with this hire & whether or not he will append a Co-DC tag to Ash.

We should show this to every single recruit in the state of florida. Bout to send out some dms on twitter to let the youngins know.

I think Ask would be a great, but I think we're going to have to pay him well and probably make him a co-DC. Here's his coaching resume':
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1997Drake (GA)
1998–1999Drake (DC)
2000–2001Iowa State (GA)
2002–2005Iowa State (DB)
2006Iowa State (DB/RC)
2007–2008San Diego State (DB/RC)
2009Iowa State (DB/RC)
2010Wisconsin (DB)
2011–2012Wisconsin (DC/DB)
2013Arkansas (DC/DB)
2014–2015Ohio State (co-DC/S)
2016–2019Rutgers (8-32)
2019Texas (analyst)
2020Texas (DC/S)

"... Ash is currently still a member of the Texas coaching staff as new head coach Steve Sarkisian makes the move from Alabama after the Crimson Tide’s national title victory.

Sarkisian is expected to mold his own staff and it is unknown if Ash would return under Sarkisian."
https://247sports.com/college/flori...-Dan-Mullen-Gators-Steve-Sarkisian-159129557/

Ash played Safety in college (Drake) & has coached DB & Safety as well as being a DC at the college level.

IMO, he is young enough (47), to interact with young HS players & be an effective recruiter.

I have no idea where Mullen is headed with this hire & whether or not he will append a Co-DC tag to Ash.

Well, we had coaches for Corners and Safeties, and fired them both. Then we hired a coach for Corners. Since Ash coaches Safeties, I feel like this may have been in the works for a while. If this all works out, and he is named co-DC, just remember I've been saying we would have co-DC's next year for several months. If it doesn't work out, and we don't have co-DC's, then don't remember that I said we would have co-DC's next year.

So I guess Strong declined Mullens offer again.

RedFist,

Who knows for sure ?

Your post got me thinking though.

Analyst do not instruct players or recruit.
Strong is 60 years old & probably doesn't want to hit the recruiting trail anymore.

Strong's USF buyout situation is complicated, and murky, because there are two agreements involved: one with the university, and another with the private USF Foundation. The school would only owe him 20 weeks of base salary, which is roughly $192,000. But according to The Tampa Bay Times, Strong also would be due an additional sum via his deal with the foundation.

While the exact amount is not publicly available, the USF Foundation's new audited financial statement says it has agreements with unnamed USF employees that provided for buyouts ranging from $280,000 to $7.5 million, as of June 30, 2019. Strong would, presumably, be at the top end of that range.

Those buyouts "may be reduced or eliminated based on ... compensation from new employment," according to the audited financial statement.

Could not find exact salary info for Strong as a Bama Analyst. Could be heavily back end loaded to avoid reducing the USF buyout. USF pulled a similar deal when they hired him 15 days after Texas fired him.

The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; population 90,468 (Gainesville = 134,945) in a small city setting. Probably an enjoyable place to live; plus Strong getting a chance to learn how to be a college football CEO from Saban.

RedFist,

Who knows for sure ?

Your post got me thinking though.

Analyst do not instruct players or recruit.
Strong is 60 years old & probably doesn't want to hit the recruiting trail anymore.

Strong's USF buyout situation is complicated, and murky, because there are two agreements involved: one with the university, and another with the private USF Foundation. The school would only owe him 20 weeks of base salary, which is roughly $192,000. But according to The Tampa Bay Times, Strong also would be due an additional sum via his deal with the foundation.

While the exact amount is not publicly available, the USF Foundation's new audited financial statement says it has agreements with unnamed USF employees that provided for buyouts ranging from $280,000 to $7.5 million, as of June 30, 2019. Strong would, presumably, be at the top end of that range.

Those buyouts "may be reduced or eliminated based on ... compensation from new employment," according to the audited financial statement.

Could not find exact salary info for Strong as a Bama Analyst. Could be heavily back end loaded to avoid reducing the USF buyout. USF pulled a similar deal when they hired him 15 days after Texas fired him.

The University of Alabama is located in Tuscaloosa, Alabama; population 90,468 (Gainesville = 134,945) in a small city setting. Probably an enjoyable place to live; plus Strong getting a chance to learn how to be a college football CEO from Saban.
Would like to have snagged Derek Mason but his disagreement with CDM last year probably precluded any chance of that happening.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Paco,

You like him as a position coach for safeties & evidently from your quote above, as a standalone DC.

In our current situation - keeping TG as DC, would you make Ash a Co-DC ?
I like Ash a lot and think it would be a A+ hire. I’m still just not sure how realistic it is. Ash could get Co-DC title for 2021 and then be the DC in 2022. Maybe that is what they are trying to sell him on.

All of you calling for Charlie Strong should look at LSU this year.

Exact same situation with Pelini. Had success there years ago I'm a different era, he's old, and hasn't adapted.

but sure, 60 year old Charlie Strong probably would make a great choice in today's college football.

I almost wish we would hire him so that some people would realize why he's his age with his track record and still not getting interviews for big jobs.

it's like some of you want another dude who built a name for himself in a bygone era of football.

Rumors are Strong and Ash may end up on Meyer’s staff with the Jags on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: gatordad3
Rumors are Strong and Ash may end up on Meyer’s staff with the Jags on the defensive side of the ball.
I guess I can't be too mad about Strong and Ash. As long as Meyer brings some winning and excitement in Jax, it'll be a relief to not hear the Jags fans at work whining every Monday after a loss.

Paco,

Saw these comments

"...That’s why it makes sense to see names like ex–Texas coach Charlie Strong, ex–Rutgers coach Chris Ash, Utah defensive coordinator Morgan Scalley and Colorado State coach Steve Addazio ? WTF ? (and support-staff names like Ohio State’s Ryan Stamper) in the pipeline for jobs with Meyer. They’re steeped in his ways and would know what to expect.

But a number of guys who know Meyer well caution he’ll absolutely need NFL-experienced coaches on staff to make it work, and how those people adapt to the program will be key. "
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/14/urban-meyer-jacksonville-jaguars-done-his-homework

EDIT
Now that Meyer is the Jags coach, we will see what he does about his staff. As SOS found out, major differences between College & NFL; too many college only coaches will, IMO, be a problem for Urban.

LOL sure is funny that those who think Strong is too old or not good enough to be back on our staff . Urban seems to think otherwise that he still has something to offer. I bet he can field a better defense and still bring in higher level difference makers than Grantham !

LOL sure is funny that those who think Strong is too old or not good enough to be back on our staff . Urban seems to think otherwise that he still has something to offer. I bet he can field a better defense and still bring in higher level difference makers than Grantham !
- He won't be Urban's DC
- He doesn't have to recruit in the NFL

Spikes reported on twitter yesterday he spoke personally to Strong about the Jags rumors....and Strong relayed they are FALSE

Didn't say that he would be . Just that he still has something defensively to offer in the NFL which imop more than qualifies him to be ours again especially over Todd sorry Grantham.
I like Strong but I understand the concerns some have as well. And these are just rumors. Strong hasn’t been hired by Meyer yet. Kind of jumping the gun saying the NFL wants him.

Didn't say that he would be . Just that he still has something defensively to offer in the NFL which imop more than qualifies him to be ours again especially over Todd sorry Grantham.
I mean the Todd Grantham was offered a. DC job by Cincinnati.

I'm not for keeping Todd. I'm not against hiring Strong to help the defense.

I don't want either as a DC.

Being offered an NFL lower tier defensive coach by an old buddy is not a difination of something great.
That is all.

Well apparently a lot can change in 24 hrs.

Maybe.

Or maybe Spikes asked Strong about reports that he had taken a job with the Jags and Strong said those reports were false. Not because they were wrong, but because he hadn't actually taken the job yet, just didn't explain the nuance to Spikes, or mention that he was about to take it.

Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2021, 4:53 PM EST
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-urban-meyer-as-jaguars-assistant-head-coach/

"...Jaguars coach Urban Meyer, who has no NFL playing or coaching experience, has hired a right-hand man who has (checks notes) no NFL playing or coaching experience, either.

Per multiple reports, former Louisville, Texas, and South Florida coach Charlie Strong will join Meyer as the assistant head coach. He’s also expected to coach a position on the team’s defense."

A lot of talk about Charlie Strong to Jags; but nothing definite from either Urban Meyer or Charlie Strong, so who knows.

Before he went to Bama as an analyst, "everyone knew" that Charlie was coming to Florida; that didn't happen.

Could change any second, but nothing about Strong posted on Jaguars.com; so right now, doesn't look like this is going to happen either.

All of these other "Sports Insiders" just shooting from the Lip !

Last edited:
Posted by Mike Florio on January 16, 2021, 4:53 PM EST
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-urban-meyer-as-jaguars-assistant-head-coach/

"...Jaguars coach Urban Meyer, who has no NFL playing or coaching experience, has hired a right-hand man who has (checks notes) no NFL playing or coaching experience, either.

Per multiple reports, former Louisville, Texas, and South Florida coach Charlie Strong will join Meyer as the assistant head coach. He’s also expected to coach a position on the team’s defense."

A lot of talk about Charlie Strong to Jags; but nothing definite from either Urban Meyer or Charlie Strong, so who knows.

Before he went to Bama as an analyst, "everyone knew" that Charlie was coming to Florida; that didn't happen.

Could change any second, but nothing about Strong posted on Jaguars.com; so right now, doesn't look like this is going to happen either.

All of these other "Sports Insiders" just shooting from the Lip !

Well then.

I guess we have to wait until we hear something from Strong himself. Too many conflicting reports.

Reactions: ftball0129
Only announcement on Jaguars.com -

Official: Trent Baalke named general manager Trent Baalke, after joining the Jaguars early last year and after serving as interim general manager since late November, is now the team's general manager. The Jaguars announced the move Thursday morning.
https://www.jaguars.com/news/official-baalke-named-general-manager

Supposedly, Urban had wanted to wait on two things before hiring his staff -
* Jags hire a GM.
* Urban has the time to interview / evaluate all current staff members for possible retention.

Who knows ?

Jules Montinar new CB coach
Montinar_Jules_H_20_w.jpg

"...On Friday, Dan Mullen rounded out his staff by hiring Jules Montinar away from USF. Montinar is expected to coach the cornerbacks, while Wesley McGriff is expected to work with the safeties.

Montinar’s biggest strength figures to be recruiting. He’s 35 years old, hails from Naples, Florida, and played college football not too long ago, so he’ll be able to relate to the modern athlete in ways that an older coach simply cannot. He served as USF’s recruiting coordinator for the last year and helped the Bulls land the American Athletic Conference’s fifth-best recruiting class despite finishing with a 1-8 record. 247Sports named him the Sun Belt Recruiter of the Year in 2017 at Texas State.

Montinar and McGriff are both considered high-energy coaches, which should help them instill a sense of urgency in their players and shore up some of the recruiting deficiencies in the secondary."
https://www.gatorcountry.com/feature/will-mullens-staff-changes-be-enough/

There's BS and amateur opinions,,, and then there's the Bio facts... 🤓

Restoring the tradition of defensive excellence at the University of Florida, Todd Grantham’s impact in his first two seasons as UF’s Defensive Coordinator has been immense Grantham has 32 years of coaching experience that includes 12 seasons as a defensive coordinator. . And Grantham’s impressive resume includes an 11-year NFL career, lastly as the Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach.

Grantham’s scheme has given Florida’s defense a reputation for being one of the most distributive defensive units in the nation while keeping offenses out of the end zone.

When Todd arrived for the 2018 season, what did he find, and what did he do with it? (See the chart posted at the link)

And then there's this chart:
TURNOVER MARGIN BY YEAR
YearMarginTakeawaysGiveawaysFBS Rank
2018122614T-7th
2017-31720T-85th
201622422T-47th
201582517T-22nd
201463024T-33rd
2013-21820T-73rd
2012153015T-7th
2011-121426T-113th
201022927T-45th
200972316T-20th

In Grantham’s first 2 seasons, the defense has registered 49 takeaways, tied for 6th-most in the nation over that span. With a turnover margin of plus-12 in 2018 and plus-five in 2019, UF also finished with a turnover margin of at least plus-five in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2014 and 2015.

In 2019, Florida finished 7th nationally in scoring defense (15.5 points) and has been one of the best teams in the nation at keeping its opponents out of the end zone, completing three shutouts in a season for the first time since 1988.

The Gator defense has been distributive in their ability to rush the passer and force turnovers. Florida ranked 5th nationally with 49 sacks, leading the SEC by a whopping 12. In total, Grantham’s defense registered 102 tackles for loss on the season, tying for 11th nationally and leading the SEC by six. (doing so with the 3 star left-overs from the previous staff)

Florida finished 2019 tied for 9th in the FBS with 16 interceptions and was only one of 6 FBS teams with at least 3 interceptions in 3 games that year. Additionally, UF kept offenses fenced out of the end zone, finishing 3rd in the FBS in opponent red zone touchdown percentage (40% / 14 TDs in 35 trips).

In 2019, prior to the Kung-Flu fiasco:

STATISTICAL RANKINGS

AverageFBS RankingSEC Ranking
Total Defense304.810th2nd
Scoring Defense15.57th2nd
Rushing Defense102.88th2nd
Interceptions16T-9th3rd
Opp. Red Zone %65.70%3rd1st

You can continue getting informed by the actual record at this link:
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/todd-grantham/1192

PS --- Of course, the Kung-Flu had absolutely nothing to do with the drop-off in 2020, 😏 so fire his incompetent sorry azz, just to keep the ignorant twits happy....

Last edited:
There's BS and amateur opinions,,, and then there's the Bio facts... 🤓

Restoring the tradition of defensive excellence at the University of Florida, Todd Grantham’s impact in his first two seasons as UF’s Defensive Coordinator has been immense Grantham has 32 years of coaching experience that includes 12 seasons as a defensive coordinator. . And Grantham’s impressive resume includes an 11-year NFL career, lastly as the Dallas Cowboys defensive line coach.

Grantham’s scheme has given Florida’s defense a reputation for being one of the most distributive defensive units in the nation while keeping offenses out of the end zone.

When Todd arrived for the 2018 season, what did he find, and what did he do with it? (See the chart posted at the link)

And then there's this chart:
TURNOVER MARGIN BY YEAR
YearMarginTakeawaysGiveawaysFBS Rank
2018122614T-7th
2017-31720T-85th
201622422T-47th
201582517T-22nd
201463024T-33rd
2013-21820T-73rd
2012153015T-7th
2011-121426T-113th
201022927T-45th
200972316T-20th

In Grantham’s first 2 seasons, the defense has registered 49 takeaways, tied for 6th-most in the nation over that span. With a turnover margin of plus-12 in 2018 and plus-five in 2019, UF also finished with a turnover margin of at least plus-five in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 2014 and 2015.

In 2019, Florida finished 7th nationally in scoring defense (15.5 points) and has been one of the best teams in the nation at keeping its opponents out of the end zone, completing three shutouts in a season for the first time since 1988.

The Gator defense has been distributive in their ability to rush the passer and force turnovers. Florida ranked 5th nationally with 49 sacks, leading the SEC by a whopping 12. In total, Grantham’s defense registered 102 tackles for loss on the season, tying for 11th nationally and leading the SEC by six. (doing so with the 3 star left-overs from the previous staff)

Florida finished 2019 tied for 9th in the FBS with 16 interceptions and was only one of 6 FBS teams with at least 3 interceptions in 3 games that year. Additionally, UF kept offenses fenced out of the end zone, finishing 3rd in the FBS in opponent red zone touchdown percentage (40% / 14 TDs in 35 trips).

In 2019, prior to the Kung-Flu fiasco:

STATISTICAL RANKINGS

AverageFBS RankingSEC Ranking
Total Defense304.810th2nd
Scoring Defense15.57th2nd
Rushing Defense102.88th2nd
Interceptions16T-9th3rd
Opp. Red Zone %65.70%3rd1st

You can continue getting informed by the actual record at this link:
https://floridagators.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/todd-grantham/1192

PS --- Of course, the Kung-Flu had absolutely nothing to do with the drop-off in 2020, 😏 so fire his incompetent sorry azz, just to keep the ignorant twits happy....

Only you could watch this team give up 6 consecutive TD's to Bama and think the D did a good job because they had 2 sacks. You, sir, are an idiot.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Only you could watch this team give up 6 consecutive TD's to Bama and think the D did a good job because they had 2 sacks. You, sir, are an idiot.
@instaGATOR
Giving up 35 vs Ole Piss, 41 to Texas A&M, giving up 24 to the Muschamp led Cocks, Arky scoring 35, 37 vs LSU, 55 vs Oklahoma while 3rd and Grantham made Vandy and UT look like they had All American QB's.
Someone please tell if they've seen a defense worse than 3rd and Grantham's 2020 defense in the last 40 seasons. Hell, insta, go ahead and try to defend Lynn Amadee's 1988 offense.

Only clueless twits would judge the defense in a single Co-V season, while totally ignoring that coaches entire coaching history, AND HIS PREVIOUS TWO SEASON after taking over the cluster left by McLame.... 🤣

Only clueless twits would judge the defense in a single Co-V season, while totally ignoring that coaches entire coaching history, AND HIS PREVIOUS TWO SEASON after taking over the cluster left by McLame.... 🤣

Well, Insta, he's getting another year, so this is his chance to prove that last year, and every year he's been called third and Grantham, were all flukes. If the defense has a great year, I will be more than happy to be wrong, and I will say exactly that. But if the defense sucks hind tit again this year, will you be man enough to agree he has to go, or will you continue to come up with excuses for inferior play?

Well, Insta, he's getting another year, so this is his chance to prove that last year, and every year he's been called third and Grantham, were all flukes. If the defense has a great year, I will be more than happy to be wrong, and I will say exactly that. But if the defense sucks hind tit again this year, will you be man enough to agree he has to go, or will you continue to come up with excuses for inferior play?

quick answer.

No.

and you and I and everyone else here know that insta won't back down until Grantham is fired and then he'll pretend that he never liked him.

Lizzy, this is what the iG goes by....

You should try real hard to read it in it's entirety, to get a 'Big Picture' view for a change, instead of listening to the UGly buttsniffers whine from under the porch about 3rd & Grantham.
2020 - UF 44 - 28 UGly vs 3rd and Grantham

Single season 'Tunnel Vision' can end in an ugly disease called 'Optirectamortis' if you're not careful..... o_O

Through my several decades as a Gator fan, I've been correct more than incorrect. (jmoho of course)
I've never covered up my incorrects, and I rarely attempt to brag much about often being correct.

The 1st has never cost me anything, and the 2nd has never paid me anything. :rolleyes:
However, your opinions on what I do are one of the least important things in my life cycle. 🤓

PS -- How did Mike White do today @ Top 11 West 'By Gawd' Virginia? 🤣

Last edited:
Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure that it involves your hands in each other's pockets.... :cool:
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT