ADVERTISEMENT

FSU gets an easier bowl game?

gatorshime

Gator Great
Jan 30, 2002
Explain this to me, why does Florida St. at 9-3 get a 6-6 opponent in their bowl game who is UNRANKED and we get a 9-3 opponent who is ranked #14? Oklahoma went 3-6 in its last 9 and we got Oregon St. who went 6-3. Then they’ll say FSU is back and dominate? They beat one ranked team all year LSU who’s lost 2 in a row. Besides that they still suck.

Oh well we are 10 point dogs If we can field a team and find a QB somewhere.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
SEC pretty much always plays up.
This for the most part. SEC usually plays up when it comes to the bowl games and how they get paired.

With the transfer portal the way it is now outside of the playoff games the bowls are basically meaningless. Nobody is coming with a full roster, etc.

Reactions: ih8f$u
Explain this to me, why does Florida St. at 9-3 get a 6-6 opponent in their bowl game who is UNRANKED and we get a 9-3 opponent who is ranked #14? Oklahoma went 3-6 in its last 9 and we got Oregon St. who went 6-3. Then they’ll say FSU is back and dominate? They beat one ranked team all year LSU who’s lost 2 in a row. Besides that they still suck.

erica-nlewedim-star-girl.gif

How many Noles have declared? entered the portal?

All of our guys are playing in the bowl game including J Trav and Verse. J Trav said he's coming back, Deloach said Hes coming back.

Verse and Benson are undecided (think verse goes and Benson stays)

Portal so far is - Gainer (4th Linebacker, Jarret Jackson 4th DT, and Shambre Jackson 8th DT). We really haven't lost much tbh.

We will lose Jammie Robinson and Lovett for sure (both are going to draft) and the only one we are really waiting on is verse, I guess Benson could go but I don't think he will

Last edited:
Reactions: Razorback_Nole
First off they are both meaningless bowl games so it doesn't matter.

Agreed, who care if we win the damn cheez it bowl. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy with 10 wins and 4 of them being LSU, UF, OU, and Miami but it's a meaningless bowl. What's not meaningless is the extra practices tho.

Agreed, who care if we win the damn cheez it bowl. Don't get me wrong, I would be happy with 10 wins and 4 of them being LSU, UF, OU, and Miami but it's a meaningless bowl. What's not meaningless is the extra practices tho.
In the grand scheme of college football, sure, the bowl itself is meaningless. Like you said, though, extra practices aren't meaningless. It's also not meaningless to the players and most of all it's significant for recruiting. Players will see a team with 10 wins with much more potential than a team with 6 wins...or 5 wins and no bowl. Wins matter; especially to these young kids.

In the grand scheme of college football, sure, the bowl itself is meaningless. Like you said, though, extra practices aren't meaningless. It's also not meaningless to the players and most of all it's significant for recruiting. Players will see a team with 10 wins with much more potential than a team with 6 wins...or 5 wins and no bowl. Wins matter; especially to these young kids.
Nah. Playing time and NIL is the most important to them.

All of our guys are playing in the bowl game including J Trav and Verse. J Trav said he's coming back, Deloach said Hes coming back.

Verse and Benson are undecided (think verse goes and Benson stays)

Portal so far is - Gainer (4th Linebacker, Jarret Jackson 4th DT, and Shambre Jackson 8th DT). We really haven't lost much tbh.

We will lose Jammie Robinson and Lovett for sure (both are going to draft) and the only one we are really waiting on is verse, I guess Benson could go but I don't think he will
Where was he going?

Where was he going?

In the endzone....... you didn't watch the game? Lol

He was the 2nd highest rated QB according to PFF, above Bryce Young, Hooker, and everyone not named Maye. He had a great yr and has turned into one of the better QBs in the country. He will be a top 10 QB next yr. Now, I think he's a college QB and not an NFL guy, maybe he's a backup there or something. It's his 6th yr so he could have tried to be a backup, called it quits, grad transfer, etc.

P.S. Benson has announced he will return.

Extra practices usually aren't meaningless. However, last year we had (half of) a coaching staff on the way out, so working on learning the systems in those bowl practices would have actually been counterproductive as it would have been more to unlearn later. Guess it was a good thing we only held 3 of the 15 allowed practices.

Think of it like dating. SEC teams pull top quality. We got a 9, FSU ended up with a 6.

Reactions: Nicktheslick
In the endzone....... you didn't watch the game? Lol

He was the 2nd highest rated QB according to PFF, above Bryce Young, Hooker, and everyone not named Maye. He had a great yr and has turned into one of the better QBs in the country. He will be a top 10 QB next yr. Now, I think he's a college QB and not an NFL guy, maybe he's a backup there or something. It's his 6th yr so he could have tried to be a backup, called it quits, grad transfer, etc.

P.S. Benson has announced he will return.
I mirror these comments. aka: spot on.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your noles this season numbers.

Lol I'm happy we beat teams we were supposed to beat. I'm glad our offense isn't dog shit anymore. Still have a long way to go. There were positives, beating LSU, UM, and UF is huge imo. We have to recruit better imo. We do a great job in the portal but can't keep missing on elite high school talent

Reactions: PacoGator19
I was just looking at the 2023 recruiting classes and we still are #11 vs. #23 for Norvell and his Troles. He had used the portal pretty good but, you still need to recruit better or this is about as good as you’ll get.2–

I was just looking at the 2023 recruiting classes and we still are #11 vs. #23 for Norvell and his Troles. He had used the portal pretty good but, you still need to recruit better or this is about as good as you’ll get.2–

Our portal takes

Jermaine Johnson (1st rd pick)
Jordan Travis (according to pff was #2 QB)
Trey Benson (ask Kamari)
Johnny Wilson
Jared Verse (projected 1st rd)
Jammie Robinson (draft pick)
Fabien Lovett (draft pick)

The game is changing, you can definitely pick up elite players in the portal. Over half of our starters were portal players.

I still think you need elite high school talent but look at A and M, mass exodus there to the portal, so did signing them all really do anything? It's not as necessary anymore, still necessary but not like 6 yrs ago

I used to believe portal filled holes and only raised the floor but there are some damn good players in the portal. There is a DB in the portal from Virginia who is elite.

Portal is bandaids. It isn’t sustainable over a long haul. It’s good for filling gaps but you have to recruit high school prospects at a high level if you want to compete for championships. If you rely on just the portal then ultimately you will fail. It just isn’t sustainable.

The teams winning national titles & SEC are still doing it with the majority of kids they recruited in high school. Not with tons of transfers.

Portal is bandaids. It isn’t sustainable over a long haul. It’s good for filling gaps but you have to recruit high school prospects at a high level if you want to compete for championships. If you rely on just the portal then ultimately you will fail. It just isn’t sustainable.

The teams winning national titles & SEC are still doing it with the majority of kids they recruited in high school. Not with tons of transfers.
Yeah, but the game is radically changing by the minute. We have not yet seen the full impact of high quality players like Caleb Williams just up and switching teams.

You could absolutely turn a team roster in one year…pretty close to what USC did…and put your team in position for a playoff or Title run by raiding other teams.

Is it program sustainable on its own?, probably not…because the offerings will be limited year to year…but it certainly is a critical part of roster management at this point (both for those adding and losing).

Reactions: fsu939913
Yeah, but the game is radically changing by the minute. We have not yet seen the full impact of high quality players like Caleb Williams just up and switching teams.

You could absolutely turn a team roster in one year…pretty close to what USC did…and put your team in position for a playoff or Title run by raiding other teams.

Is it program sustainable on its own?, probably not…because the offerings will be limited year to year…but it certainly is a critical part of roster management at this point (both for those adding and losing).
Caleb Williams just followed his coach. If Riley didn’t leave Oklahoma than Williams would of just stayed at OU as well. And if Williams doesn’t follow Riley then USC also isn’t in the playoff discussion. Which goes back to the point that a. big time QB can completely change the outlook of a team.

That is one good thing that Napier has done so far is he has back to back 5* QBs in Rashada and Lagway. You have to assume/hope that at least one of them is going to be elite.

Last edited:
In hoops you can build a national title team via the transfer portal. Although football is drastically changing, I do not believe you can build a title contender in the same manor. When you look at the natty winners, and who will most likely win the natty this year, they all consistently put together top 5 recruiting classes.

In hoops you can build a national title team via the transfer portal. Although football is drastically changing, I do not believe you can build a title contender in the same manor. When you look at the natty winners, and who will most likely win the natty this year, they all consistently put together top 5 recruiting classes.
This is correct although I’m not even sure you can build a basketball title contending team through the portal as continuity and chemistry makes it difficult but it certainly would be easier or more feasible in basketball just because of roster sizes alone. 13 scholarship players vs 82 scholarships. And yes teams winning national titles are bringing in top 5 recruiting classes or top 10 recruiting classes with an elite QB.

This is correct although I’m not even sure you can build a basketball title contending team through the portal as continuity and chemistry makes it difficult but it certainly would be easier or more feasible in basketball just because of roster sizes alone. 13 scholarship players vs 82 scholarships. And yes teams winning national titles are bringing in top 5 recruiting classes or top 10 recruiting classes with an elite QB.
Agreed. In the Gonzaga-Baylor title game all 5 of Baylor's starters were transfers and I believe 3 Zag starters were transfers (Nembhard). Maybe that was just a one off year. Last year I believe Kansas and UNC were both mostly home grown recruited kids.

Agreed. In the Gonzaga-Baylor title game all 5 of Baylor's starters were transfers and I believe 3 Zag starters were transfers (Nembhard). Maybe that was just a one off year. Last year I believe Kansas and UNC were both mostly home grown recruited kids.
Yeah you are right about that Baylor & Gonzaga teams.

Kind of agree here, you can drastically change your fortunes in the portal though. Fsu, Mich st, Miami (that one yr), USC, etc are all proff of that. I'm not sure a team has used the portal as well as we have (to be fair, about 83 of our 85 guys on roster were terrible so it wasn't hard to recruit over them).

I think it's an old way of thinking to say the portal isn't sustainable, more and more players enter every yr that are really good looking to go to a contender. Now, is it sustainable at the highest levels? Probably not but FSU got 2 first round picks from the portal. I think you can make a top 10 team from decent high school recruiting and elite portal recruiting.

We desperately need a TE next yr and just got the top 2 portal TEs (one is a 6'7" guy from d2 who is very good). It can flip rooms in a yr that are terrible (our WR room went from last in the ACC to top 3 with one portal yr).

Will the portal bring us titles? I don't think you can live in the portal to win titles. You need elite talent stacked on elite talent. I don't think you get that at every position in the portal. I think you mainly get good starters but fail to get elite guys at every position. We got J Trav from the portal as we did Benson and Johnny Wilson but are they enough to win a title? Probably not. Could probably win the ACC with them but as of now, I still hold the belief that you need elite high school talent to win titles and be a constant contender.

Kind of agree here, you can drastically change your fortunes in the portal though. Fsu, Mich st, Miami (that one yr), USC, etc are all proff of that. I'm not sure a team has used the portal as well as we have (to be fair, about 83 of our 85 guys on roster were terrible so it wasn't hard to recruit over them).

I think it's an old way of thinking to say the portal isn't sustainable, more and more players enter every yr that are really good looking to go to a contender. Now, is it sustainable at the highest levels? Probably not but FSU got 2 first round picks from the portal. I think you can make a top 10 team from decent high school recruiting and elite portal recruiting.

We desperately need a TE next yr and just got the top 2 portal TEs (one is a 6'7" guy from d2 who is very good). It can flip rooms in a yr that are terrible (our WR room went from last in the ACC to top 3 with one portal yr).

Will the portal bring us titles? I don't think you can live in the portal to win titles. You need elite talent stacked on elite talent. I don't think you get that at every position in the portal. I think you mainly get good starters but fail to get elite guys at every position. We got J Trav from the portal as we did Benson and Johnny Wilson but are they enough to win a title? Probably not. Could probably win the ACC with them but as of now, I still hold the belief that you need elite high school talent to win titles and be a constant contender.
NIL certainly changes the portal landscape. Not sure if you can just go out every year looking for the most money, but the NIL rules seem loose and confusing. Right now you need top notch recruiting classes, 5 years from now who knows.

Reactions: fsu939913
ADVERTISEMENT