ADVERTISEMENT

Franks to Visit- Sam Pittman at Arkansas & Mike Leach at Mississippi State ?

Jeff from Jax

Gator Great
Dec 2, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Would be incredible, but it could happen !

I am not the only person to wonder at how this might play out -

Zach Goodall - "...Wonder if Mike Leach would keep Feleipe Franks in the SEC over at Mississippi State..."

Only way we could face Franks on the field next year is in the SECCG.

We don't play Miss State in regular season until 2025 at Ben Hill Griffin.

Last edited:
Reactions: TennesseeGator
The only thing crazier would be Franks to Georgia. Not sure Miss States QB situation except the QB that ran a bunch this past season.

Mullen told him to go to Leach when he was at Washington State but he should go to him now at MSU too. Franks was real raw in Hs and then got no coaching his first two years under McElwain. Even with all his warts he got better under Mullen. He needs hard coaching.

Franks has already visited Kansas, and on Tuesday the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported that he is expected to visit the Arkansas Razorbacks in Fayetteville, Ark., this weekend.

The Democrat-Gazette also notes that Mississippi State is another school Franks is interested in. That is intriguing because Florida coach Dan Mullen has recommended that Franks look into playing for coach Mike Leach. That, of course, was before Leach left Washington State to take the head coaching job at Mississippi
State.

UF is not scheduled to play either Miss State or Arkansas in 2020, with the Gator's rotating West opponent being Ole Miss next fall.

Wish Franks the best & hope he finds a good team.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...anks-to-visit-Arkansas-this-weekend-142187916

Could be pretty rough if he went to Arkansas with their schedule.

Is he already past the time you can enroll for the Spring semester at these schools?

Could be pretty rough if he went to Arkansas with their schedule.

Is he already past the time you can enroll for the Spring semester at these schools?

Fever,

Don't know if Graduate School calendar the same as undergraduate. Did not find separate listing for Graduate School.

Arkansas Spring 2020
January 13 Classes Begin
March 3 First 8-Week Session Ends
March 4 Second 8-Week Session Begins
April 30 Last Day of Classes

Not sure if Franks could skip 1st eight week session & only attend 2nd session.

https://registrar.uark.edu/academic...calendar/2020-five-year-academic-calendar.php

Miss State Spring 2020
January 6 Classes begin
January 13 Last day to register or add a course (6th class day) 8:00 a.m.
March 30 to April 13 Pre-registration period for summer and fall semesters

Looks like no chance at Miss State for Spring Semester.
https://www.registrar.msstate.edu/c...dar/c/?year[value][year]=2020&semester=spring

If Franks not healed up, probably doesn't matter.
for either school.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I don’t think he should play in the SEC west, especially at Arkansas where he will get killed. If he wants to give it a go at Miss St with Leach that may be intriguing.

Reactions: Gator Fever
I don’t think he should play in the SEC west, especially at Arkansas where he will get killed. If he wants to give it a go at Miss St with Leach that may be intriguing.

Yep I think the West would get him killed with Arkansas current team.

Kansas is probably his best bet to work on passing but he could end up not being a lock to start if he misses spring practice. Kansas likely starter is a former 3 star that left Pitt I think and played Junior college one year before going to Kansas. Kind of a physical copy of Franks maybe just a little slower but good speed for a QB.

Nothing definite for sure but most talk seems to be King probably going to Miami instead of Arkansas and Franks ending up at Arkansas. Not seeing a lot about Franks and Kansas anymore.

Nothing definite for sure but most talk seems to be King probably going to Miami instead of Arkansas and Franks ending up at Arkansas. Not seeing a lot about Franks and Kansas anymore.
Both places would be bad decisions IMO for Franks and King but not sure what all their options are.

Both places would be bad decisions IMO for Franks and King but not sure what all their options are.

I guess with King a lot would depend on that new OC at Miami. As far as Franks QB competition wise Arkansas might be a good choice but I think he will struggle a lot with the defenses having a talent advantage in the West. That last coach got some decent recruits but most didn't turn out too good so far.

The law of averages says they won't go 3 straight years without an SEC win so maybe a 4 - 8 record or so with one or two SEC wins.
Who are they going to beat? I haven’t looked at their schedule but doubt they beat anybody in the West.

Who are they going to beat? I haven’t looked at their schedule but doubt they beat anybody in the West.
I would have done what Driskell did...go do a smaller school in a lesser conference and try to pat your stats or get some good coaching. Driskell is a steady back up in the NFL and has done pretty well. He's 1 hell of an athlete....Not saying Franks would be the same, similar type of player though but going to Arkansas makes no sense to me. I think you're right...he might not finish the season...Franks has shown that he's a competitor and a tough guy but he's probably going to get torn up there. I would have gone to the Big 12, Mountain West, or Pac 12...not because he's not talented but Arkansas? I guess I admire his guts but he's on murderers row and a sitting duck on a shitty team.

I'm not expert but seems like a really bad choice. I wish him well...he played his heart out for us. Had a big attitude but played his butt off. He was done at UF, I'm sure he was showed the door, hopefully he will find a good coach...I actually like the kid but he needs coaching and a good bit of counsel.

Last edited:

They get Tenn and Ole Miss at home and Mizzu on the road.

I agree with what was said above and if he is enrolling at Arkansas he is making a mistake. I think he will regress in that type of situation and start Driskeling again. Kansas or a non Power 5 school would have been best to work on his passing game I think.

Briles has got some production in the past at QB but that is like the worst option being in the SEC West and they go to Notre Dame early in the season.

Last edited:
sadgator honestly fears that Feleipe may have one less extremity by the end of the 2020 season.
Yeah not good. Couldn’t he had maybe pulled a Driskel and gone to maybe even a non-P5 school that maybe runs a high powered offense? I actually think he’s going to hurt himself more than help himself at Arkansas. I hope I’m wrong though.

He was a starter at a major university, he's a good player. Ok but he's going to get destroyed there, he could start at a lot of places. He might not finish the season and I hope he does great. Ok

He was a starter at a major university, he's a good player. Ok but he's going to get destroyed there, he could start at a lot of places. He might not finish the season and I hope he does great. Ok

I think he is making a huge mistake here. He needed to get his overall passing game going and now will be thrown into the fire where he will not have the weapons at WR he had at UF. Some QBs can still play decent and composed in a situation like Arkansas but I don't see that happening with Franks psyche once the losses start piling up.

The only thing that made sense here was he is close to a lock to being the starter unlike some other places. Briles has some experience with QBs but I think he would have to pull a minor miracle to get good production from Franks in Arkansas situation.

I think he is making a huge mistake here. He needed to get his overall passing game going and now will be thrown into the fire where he will not have the weapons at WR he had at UF. Some QBs can still play decent and composed in a situation like Arkansas but I don't see that happening with Franks psyche once the losses start piling up.

The only thing that made sense here was he is close to a lock to being the starter unlike some other places. Briles has some experience with QBs but I think he would have to pull a minor miracle to get good production from Franks in Arkansas situation.
Franks is Franks but let's not forget that even under maybe the best QB coach and one of the best offensive minds in college he still struggled. 2018 season he stepped his game up but seem like he peaked going into last season before he got hurt.

Wasn't one of his draw-backs as the Gator QB his 'decision making?' :cool:

But I too, wish him well there.... o_O

Franks is Franks but let's not forget that even under maybe the best QB coach and one of the best offensive minds in college he still struggled. 2018 season he stepped his game up but seem like he peaked going into last season before he got hurt.

Yep seeing Trask hitting all these WR in the middle of the field and not just at the line of scrimmage with an occasional bomb thrown in seemed to say a lot. Well I guess we will see what Briles gets out of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT