ADVERTISEMENT

Florida @ Texas A&M game thread...

Even the best coaches/leaders make bad hires & decisions. It is what they do after they have made that mistake or error. Steve Spurrier hired Ron Zook as his DC at one point. He realized it was a mistake and fixed it.

Reactions: Countygator1
Dude has been average at best for several years. Can't hide from that fact. If we are going to make the leap to national title contender Dan needs to upgrade the D coordinator position.

For 2 seasons running the Gator D has finished in the Top-10 in the nation, while putting 3-star rated recruits into the NFL, so average for sure..... 😏

Is there a replacement list of proven Top 10 DC's out there that want to be the Gators new DC?

For 2 seasons running the Gator D has finished in the Top-10 in the nation, while putting 3-star rated recruits into the NFL, so average for sure..... 😏

Is there a replacement list of proven Top 10 DC's out there that want to be the Gators new DC?

there goes that great logic of yours again.

And anytime we face an offense with a pulse we can't get off the field on 3rd downs and 4th downs. If Mullen wants to take the next step he needs a championship level D coordinator. He's fine against the average teams, but not the elite teams.

Reactions: seffnergator
And anytime we face an offense with a pulse we can't get off the field on 3rd downs and 4th downs. If Mullen wants to take the next step he needs a championship level D coordinator. He's fine against the average teams, but not the elite teams.

This is my argument as well. His defense only works when he has an overwhelming talent advantage. Because he can shut down small schools the averages for the defense at the end of the year look ok, and that's what people like Insta use as an argument, but it's a false narrative.

I'm not saying his defense needs to hold elite teams to 3 points, but it would be nice if they held mid level teams under 20. And I'm not talking about this year. This has been his pattern here and everywhere he's been.

Last edited:
This is my argument as well. His defense only works when he has an overwhelming talent advantage. Because he can shut down small schools the averages for the defense at the end of the year look ok, and that's what people like Insta use as an argument, but it's a false narrative.

I'm not saying his defense needs to hold elite teams to 3 points, but it would be nice if they held mid level teams under 20. And I'm not talking about this year. This has been his pattern here and everywhere he's been.
He has a long standing track record of this...it's not like we can just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen.

He has a long standing track record of this...it's not like we can just pretend the last 15 years didn't happen.

What NFL job did he almost take? Was it Cleveland? His defense would right now be last in the league by a mile. Talent level is far too equal for his poor coaching. It would have ended his career.

He needs to go to a small school that outrecruits everybody at their level. Like an Appy State or Ga Southern. That would give him 8-9 games a year where his defense can dominate, instead of the 3-4 he gets now.

What NFL job did he almost take? Was it Cleveland? His defense would right now be last in the league by a mile. Talent level is far too equal for his poor coaching. It would have ended his career.

He needs to go to a small school that outrecruits everybody at their level. Like an Appy State or Ga Southern. That would give him 8-9 games a year where his defense can dominate, instead of the 3-4 he gets now.
agreed

I see a lot of people bring this up about Grantham. In the past he just feasts on teams where we just have much more talent but when we play a team with good offensive talent his defense gets exposed. Considering the circumstances and COVID and all that stuff I’m just not sure many coaches get fired this year. We need to hope he finds a different job somehow.

Reactions: seffnergator
I see a lot of people bring this up about Grantham. In the past he just feasts on teams where we just have much more talent but when we play a team with good offensive talent his defense gets exposed. Considering the circumstances and COVID and all that stuff I’m just not sure many coaches get fired this year. We need to hope he finds a different job somehow.
I don't think anyone gets canned this year either...maybe Muschamp.

I don't think anyone gets canned this year either...maybe Muschamp.
I would normally agree but I think his buyout is pretty high and not sure they have the money to do it. I’ll give him credit. For being a bad coach he still somehow manages to get these contracts with rather large buyouts.

I would normally agree but I think his buyout is pretty high and not sure they have the money to do it. I’ll give him credit. For being a bad coach he still somehow manages to get these contracts with rather large buyouts.

I suspect we will name a co-defensive coordinator.

"Just the facts ma'am..." -- Sgt Joe Friday

Defense depends on 3 main factors:
1. DC and his staff.
2. System and game/opponent planning.
3. Player buy in, coach-ability, and raw talent.
~~ The only change from last year to this year, is the roster.

The Gators had 'one of the best defenses in the nation' a season ago. The Gators finished 7th nationally in scoring defense with an average of 15.5 points. They allowed just 23 offensive touchdowns over the course of the season, tying for the 4th fewest in the FBS.

Opinions vary and that's just fine wid me, but the facts remain after all of the opinionated bs and the delusional speculations end....
==========

LSU 45 vs TX

LSU 46 vs Bama

LSU 58 vs Miss

LSU 56 vs Ark

LSU 50 vs aTm

LSU 37 vs UGly (#1 D in SEC, UF gave up 5 more Pts)

LSU 63 vs OK Big 12 Champs in Playoffs

LSU
42 vs Clemp's-son in the NC Final on a neutral field.

15-0 NC LSU scored
42 points vs UF/Grantham
~~ And it was a night game in Death Valley....

Note: Sorry, but repeating crap opinions to each other while back slappin' each other about it won't make the facts disappear.... 😏

ADVERTISEMENT