ADVERTISEMENT

Florida quarterback Luke Del Rio calls out NCAA amateurism after seeing UF’s revenue

Gator Fever

Bull Gator
Feb 13, 2008
https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ountryUF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Luke_gbrk60.png

According to the USA Today report, Florida hauled in $144M in revenue last year, good enough for No. 8 nationally. Joining the Gators in the top-1o were Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee and Auburn.

Del Rio is not the first athlete to call the NCAA’s amateur policies into question and he won’t be the last. Last October, the Supreme Court decided not to hear the Ed O’Bannon case, which argues players should receive compensation for their names and likenesses while in college.

Del Rio is expected to be the backup signal caller for the Gators in 2017, behind Notre Dame transfer Malik Zaire. Florida’s season starts on Sept. 2 against Michigan in Arlington, Texas.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why they haven't told LDR to try to keep it down on football related stuff after his multiple run ins with the fans on twitter. Starting to think JDR must have never took his belt off when dealing with a young LDR.

I wonder if the writer just made that up or has a reason to believe that. That would look bad on Franks if he does considering Zaire hasn't took a snap yet and LDR is coming off that injury.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/...ountryUF&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social

Luke_gbrk60.png

According to the USA Today report, Florida hauled in $144M in revenue last year, good enough for No. 8 nationally. Joining the Gators in the top-1o were Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee and Auburn.

Del Rio is not the first athlete to call the NCAA’s amateur policies into question and he won’t be the last. Last October, the Supreme Court decided not to hear the Ed O’Bannon case, which argues players should receive compensation for their names and likenesses while in college.

Del Rio is expected to be the backup signal caller for the Gators in 2017, behind Notre Dame transfer Malik Zaire. Florida’s season starts on Sept. 2 against Michigan in Arlington, Texas.

Not sure why they haven't told LDR to try to keep it down on football related stuff after his multiple run ins with the fans on twitter. Starting to think JDR must have never took his belt off when dealing with a young LDR.

I wonder if the writer just made that up or has a reason to believe that. That would look bad on Franks if he does considering Zaire hasn't took a snap yet and LDR is coming off that injury.

He's right, but he's not the one who should be complaining. I promise you if he negotiated a contract based on his market value it wouldn't come near the value of his scholarship. Nobody's going to the Swamp to watch Luke Del Rio. He could transfer tomorrow (and I wouldn't mind if he did), and it would have zero impact on that revenue number.

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator

Luke_gbrk60.png

I believe the writer is correct...that Del Rio will be a backup. Not in any specific order. Could be #2. Could be anywhere between#3-6. Don't read too much between the lines.

They get a FREE RIDE with TUITION that costs other families hundreds of thousands of dollars for 4 years. So he is getting his pay!!! I disagree with LDR 110%, if he wants some of the take then force him to pay full tuition & housing (or live off campus) and give him about 20k a year then lets see how he holds up....

Reactions: NorthJerseyGator
It's still weird that the son of a millionaire... probably one of the only players of the roster who is the son of a millionaire is the one to speak up and speak out. I know others have spoke up in the past but damn, of all the others...this kid...the son of a millionaire.

What really else does he need? Books...paid for...food...done. housing... problem solved... Tutoring? You got it...shoes and clothing? Nike pretty much takes care of that for ya Luke...

Reactions: sadgator
He's right, but he's not the one who should be complaining. I promise you if he negotiated a contract based on his market value it wouldn't come near the value of his scholarship. Nobody's going to the Swamp to watch Luke Del Rio. He could transfer tomorrow (and I wouldn't mind if he did), and it would have zero impact on that revenue number.

Not imo. If it was free market people like him wouldnt even be on the squad probably. Players get plenty imo and its not a pro league.

First of all, the majority of the money that the athletic department makes comes from existing, annual television contracts (i.e, ESPN, CBS, etc.) and post-season revenue (i.e, bowl revenue, SEC championship game, etc.). The two major sports that generate most of this revenue are college football and college basketball (NCAA tournament) in addition to others that may or may not. Only a small portion of the athletic revenues comes from ticket sales, merchandise, food/drink sales at games, etc.

Had the money really did come from merchandising than that would have been a lot of Walmart Gator-T-shirts/caps, etc. that would have to be sold in order to generate that kind of revenue. Also, this was just gross revenue and does not take into account of expenses. Before a profit is made, much of the gross revenue also goes into building new facilities & maintaining some of the existing facilities, paying coaches, etc in order to keep producing a high quality product.

Additionally, the television & fan interest had been built up over many decades and from many generation of athletes coming through the system. People like Del Rio need to understand that this type of success didn't just come out of the blue. The sport had to pay their dues before things really took off. People of Del Rio's generation should take a time machine and see what the athletic revenue was from say 1900-1970s before cable tv first began taking off in the 1980s. It was typically, very modest. Back then, many of the athletic departments couldn't offer all of these crazy perks that these millenials seem to demand today.

Meanwhile, many people today are cutting the cord to cable because of the high expense compared to before. Who knows if the high athletic revenues in sports will continue to keep pace in light of fewer cable subscribers.

Last edited:
Reactions: bradleygator
Not imo. If it was free market people like him wouldnt even be on the squad probably. Players get plenty imo and its not a pro league.

There are obviously some players (i.e. Tebow, Manziel, Percy Harvin, Peter Warrick) who are worth a lot more than the value of their scholarship. Obviously in hoops, you have guys forced to play one year in college and then signing $30m contracts a year later. But for the most part, I bet if you put a chunk of NCAA revenue into a pool and let the players negotiate contracts, most of them would do worse than the value of their scholarships.

Reactions: rdgtr
I think it would be fair to let NCAA players market themselves and make money off their images and names. They could put guidelines on it, like the pro sports do (no alcohol, gambling, etc...). The arguments against it really don't make sense. College sports are already professional if you look at the money they generate. People say that endorsements would open the door for backdoor payments to players, which would favor the teams with the most resources and boosters, but those teams already have huge advantages in recruiting.

First of all, the majority of the money that the athletic department makes comes from existing, annual television contracts (i.e, ESPN, CBS, etc.) and post-season revenue (i.e, bowl revenue, SEC championship game, etc.). The two major sports that generate most of this revenue are college football and college basketball (NCAA tournament) in addition to others that may or may not. Only a small portion of the athletic revenues comes from ticket sales, merchandise, food/drink sales at games, etc.

Had the money really did come from merchandising than that would have been a lot of Walmart Gator-T-shirts/caps, etc. that would have to be sold in order to generate that kind of revenue. Also, this was just gross revenue and does not take into account of expenses. Before a profit is made, much of the gross revenue also goes into building new facilities & maintaining some of the existing facilities, paying coaches, etc in order to keep producing a high quality product.

Additionally, the television & fan interest had been built up over many decades and from many generation of athletes coming through the system. People like Del Rio need to understand that this type of success didn't just come out of the blue. The sport had to pay their dues before things really took off. People of Del Rio's generation should take a time machine and see what the athletic revenue was from say 1900-1970s before cable tv first began taking off in the 1980s. It was typically, very modest. Back then, many of the athletic departments couldn't offer all of these crazy perks that these millenials seem to demand today.

Meanwhile, many people today are cutting the cord to cable because of the high expense compared to before. Who knows if the high athletic revenues in sports will continue to keep pace in light of fewer cable subscribers.

The football and basketball teams subsidize the women's sports as well as the lesser men's sports at all the major Universities.. If they didn't, there would be nothing but intramural teams with volunteer coaches, then Football and Men's basketball..

Under Pat Summitt, the Tennessee women's basketball teams were a top draw fan wise (14,000-17,000 per game) as well as the number of SEC and N/C Championships. But they barely broke even ( if that) as far as money generated vs expenses when you count in tuition, books, travel, Salaries, medical, Arena costs, etc, etc.

In spite of the claims, people just aren't that interested in watching women's sports on TV and thus, the revenue just isn't there compared to Men's basketball and NCAA football.

Someone tell him how he got his tuition, room and board paid for. Everyone wants more money. Apprentices dont get paid millions. Instead of whining get better and make a pro roster for money

I always laugh at the 'they get enough stuff!' meme. What's 'enough?' It's especially laughable when the 'free' education gets brought up. Do y'all just live in a coma and choose to casually dismiss all the academic fraud cases that have been happening on these campuses? Real education doesn't occur at all but a few schools, and no UF isn't one of them. Any given year you go down the roster and half the players are in general studies majors or sociology or sports management and other BS majors that isn't worth a damn. Maybe you think that's an accident, or as was the case with UNC admins all the way up the chain helped to funnel players into useless majors just to keep them eligible enough to win them some games and make them money. And don't sell me anything about education when fans and coaches alike will 'process' players to make room for the next hotshot recruit, grades be damned. So assuming the education spiel was even legitimate, schools don't honor their end of the bargain all the time and move out players who they deem not good enough even when the players hold up their end of the bargain off the field and in the classroom. Nobody cares about a kids education when he can't play. Oh but I thought it was about education? Yea exactly.

Also, there's nothing 'free' about anything else that's received. Not housing, not tuition, and not meal plans. All of that is earned. That is what's agreed to when a LOI is signed. And the BS about 20 hours during the week is just that...BS. It's a full-time job and the hours usually go way over and admins know that as well. Until a few years ago when they made changes meals actually had to be paid for by players from their stipends among other things. So let's assume those scholarships are worth 250k over 4 years per player (and they're not). With 85 players that would be a cost of 21.25M for the players over 4 years. Do the math and tell me where they don't earn the school double, triple, or more what they cost.

And I say all that as someone who's always said I don't want or need a dime from anybody. But let's call a spade a spade. Schools give athletes benefits that are worth pennies on the dollar in exchange for their talent and they're allowed to do so for no reason other than anti-trust laws.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Someone tell him how he got his tuition, room and board paid for. Everyone wants more money. Apprentices dont get paid millions. Instead of whining get better and make a pro roster for money

Against these athletes participating in the free market? Endorsing what is essentially communist style wealth spreading (athletes in revenue producing sports subsidizing facilities and scholarships for non-revenue sports)? It's almost like you don't understand your own beliefs. I guess that's what happens when you crib your "thoughts" from bumper stickers in the Walmart parking lot.

I always laugh at the 'they get enough stuff!' meme. What's 'enough?' It's especially laughable when the 'free' education gets brought up. Do y'all just live in a coma and choose to casually dismiss all the academic fraud cases that have been happening on these campuses? Real education doesn't occur at all but a few schools, and no UF isn't one of them. Any given year you go down the roster and half the players are in general studies majors or sociology or sports management and other BS majors that isn't worth a damn. Maybe you think that's an accident, or as was the case with UNC admins all the way up the chain helped to funnel players into useless majors just to keep them eligible enough to win them some games and make them money. And don't sell me anything about education when fans and coaches alike will 'process' players to make room for the next hotshot recruit, grades be damned. So assuming the education spiel was even legitimate, schools don't honor their end of the bargain all the time and move out players who they deem not good enough even when the players hold up their end of the bargain off the field and in the classroom. Nobody cares about a kids education when he can't play. Oh but I thought it was about education? Yea exactly.

Also, there's nothing 'free' about anything else that's received. Not housing, not tuition, and not meal plans. All of that is earned. That is what's agreed to when a LOI is signed. And the BS about 20 hours during the week is just that...BS. It's a full-time job and the hours usually go way over and admins know that as well. Until a few years ago when they made changes meals actually had to be paid for by players from their stipends among other things. So let's assume those scholarships are worth 250k over 4 years per player (and they're not). With 85 players that would be a cost of 21.25M for the players over 4 years. Do the math and tell me where they don't earn the school double, triple, or more what they cost.

And I say all that as someone who's always said I don't want or need a dime from anybody. But let's call a spade a spade. Schools give athletes benefits that are worth pennies on the dollar in exchange for their talent and they're allowed to do so for no reason other than anti-trust laws.

I seem to remember from my time in Auburn that one of the problems is that the NCAA disallows athletes from working for a company who's owner is a "booster." From talking to Pat and Dan at Sky Bar, a "booster" is someone who donates at least $500 a year to the university.

I find it very difficult to believe that almost any business in a college town doesn't donate that amount, making them ineligible to hire an athlete.

Of course, Pat and Dan would bring the big recruits to the bar when they were on a visit and entertain them.

The walk-in beer cooler was always a fun time later in the evening when those kids were around.

I seem to remember from my time in Auburn that one of the problems is that the NCAA disallows athletes from working for a company who's owner is a "booster." From talking to Pat and Dan at Sky Bar, a "booster" is someone who donates at least $500 a year to the university.

I find it very difficult to believe that almost any business in a college town doesn't donate that amount, making them ineligible to hire an athlete.

Of course, Pat and Dan would bring the big recruits to the bar when they were on a visit and entertain them.

The walk-in beer cooler was always a fun time later in the evening when those kids were around.

Yep. That too. I've always said I'd gladly work in the offseason but in smaller college towns you literally can't work anywhere because of the stupid booster rule. And during the offseason there was no stipend yet you still had to show to all the 'voluntary' workouts and find a way to survive on or off campus. Go figure.

Yep. That too. I've always said I'd gladly work in the offseason but in smaller college towns you literally can't work anywhere because of the stupid booster rule. And during the offseason there was no stipend yet you still had to show to all the 'voluntary' workouts and find a way to survive on or off campus. Go figure.

At the end of the day, I'm just pissed that I'm forced to download new rosters every damn year on NCAA 14.

Gay.

Give me my favorite game back.

Reactions: rdgtr and sadgator

I don't feel like doing the research but from my understanding anyone who has purchased season tickets of any sport is deemed a booster of the school they bought them from. I've paid like $75 for some University of Memphis baseball season tickets. Back in the 90's and early 00's UF, UGA, and UT would play at Candy in the same giving year. Back then those season tickets cost around$200-250. I'd purchase them mainly for the UF game and usually sold the rest and occasionally maybe watched the UGA or UT game. I remember getting letters from Vandy about what pretains as a booster and it said I basically fell in the guidelines.

Against these athletes participating in the free market? Endorsing what is essentially communist style wealth spreading (athletes in revenue producing sports subsidizing facilities and scholarships for non-revenue sports)? It's almost like you don't understand your own beliefs. I guess that's what happens when you crib your "thoughts" from bumper stickers in the Walmart parking lot.

Plus if the likenesses of these 'apprentices' weren't extremely valuable the NCAA wouldn't essentially hold a gun to athletes heads to rob them of that likeness in order to participate. So I don't even know where the 'get good enough to go pro argument is going.' They're already valuable as college players. By that logic the NCAA wouldn't have anything to sell since players need to be pro before their likeness is worth anything.

I don't feel like doing the research but from my understanding anyone who has purchased season tickets of any sport is deemed a booster of the school they bought them from. I've paid like $75 for some University of Memphis baseball season tickets. Back in the 90's and early 00's UF, UGA, and UT would play at Candy in the same giving year. Back then those season tickets cost around$200-250. I'd purchase them mainly for the UF game and usually sold the rest and occasionally maybe watched the UGA or UT game. I remember getting letters from Vandy about what pretains as a booster and it said I basically fell in the guidelines.

In this case I think it had to do with being a business owner and potentially hiring athletes.

Cosign. Favorite game ever.

Right? And what's funny, is if you go to gamestop to try and get it, they STILL sell used copies of it for nearly $50, because they can, and they know they will fly off the shelves.

Players get education, room and board, FREE medical, and tons of other benefits. The way of life and quality of life of an athlete is MUCH higher than most college students. My brother for USF, i know what athletes get. Its a ton. If i lived that lifestyle it would be 50k-100k per year. They also get free tutoring. Access to almost anything they want. They get FREE advertising for them to eventually make millions. Im not saying they shouldnt get a little more, there are obviously some edges that could be smoothed.

As far as the majors go, I hate to always be the truth teller around here but most athletes are stupid, they are fast and strong but cant solve a basic equation. I know, i was college athlete tutor. I would say 75% if not more college athletes at schools that are good at football cant solve a basic equation but they get so much tutoring and so many benefits from teachers(allowed to test late), i was personally given multiple study guides by teachers and told to make sure the athlete knew the material. No other college student got that. My brother had a 93k dolllar hospital bill that was paid for by the college

Last edited:

News flash. It is a free market. These people are NOT FORCED to play. They do so to have a shot at the pros. I saw first hand the benefits these players get. Its MORE than any valedictorian gets

Reactions: TennesseeGator

Wha wha wha.

A regular student pays for the right to go to school, which means taking out loans and working just to get through, then most have to take unpaid internships just to get started in their field. Then go out into a highly competitive marketplace and try to find a decent job.

Compare that to the fellow with "Florida Football player" on his resume. Even with a "General studies degree", that guy never has trouble finding work. Since he doesn't have 25-100K in student loans dragging him down, his future looks pretty rosy indeed.

So cry me a goddamn river.

Reactions: fsu939913
Wha wha wha.

A regular student pays for the right to go to school, which means taking out loans and working just to get through, then most have to take unpaid internships just to get started in their field. Then go out into a highly competitive marketplace and try to find a decent job.

Compare that to the fellow with "Florida Football player" on his resume. Even with a "General studies degree", that guy never has trouble finding work. Since he doesn't have 25-100K in student loans dragging him down, his future looks pretty rosy indeed.

Hot dam even morons see it clearly at times.

News flash. It is a free market. These people are NOT FORCED to play. They do so to have a shot at the pros. I saw first hand the benefits these players get. Its MORE than any valedictorian gets

Ah, so it's a free market in the sense that they can still perform their extremely marketable skill, so long as someone else gets the money. Or they can choose not to do it at all. That does sound like the market working its magic. Hopefully you werent tutoring in economics, or logic, or basic understanding of the English language.

Wha wha wha.

Who's crying? You talk about scholarships as if they're just given and not earned. Not everybody earns an athletic scholarship, why is that? And you cite student loans but guess what? There are plenty of students who basically go to school for free because of academic success, I knew more than a few of them in college. So if you're 25-100k in student loan debt then guess who's fault that is? Seems to me regular students are the ones crying because they have no talent, athletic or otherwise that would allow them to cover their tuition expenses.

Who's crying? You talk about scholarships as if they're just given and not earned. Not everybody earns an athletic scholarship, why is that? And you cite student loans but guess what? There are plenty of students who basically go to school for free because of academic success, I knew more than a few of them in college. So if you're 25-100k in student loan debt then guess who's fault that is? Seems to me regular students are the ones crying because they have no talent, athletic or otherwise that would allow them to cover their tuition expenses.

U sound like a democrat. If ur not an actor, athlete, or poor we dont care about u.

Ah, so it's a free market in the sense that they can still perform their extremely marketable skill, so long as someone else gets the money. Or they can choose not to do it at all. That does sound like the market working its magic. Hopefully you werent tutoring in economics, or logic, or basic understanding of the English language.

I dont think u understand basic common knowledge.

Players get education, room and board, FREE medical, and tons of other benefits. The way of life and quality of life of an athlete is MUCH higher than most college students. My brother for USF, i know what athletes get. Its a ton. If i lived that lifestyle it would be 50k-100k per year. They also get free tutoring. Access to almost anything they want. They get FREE advertising for them to eventually make millions. Im not saying they shouldnt get a little more, there are obviously some edges that could be smoothed.

As far as the majors go, I hate to always be the truth teller around here but most athletes are stupid, they are fast and strong but cant solve a basic equation. I know, i was college athlete tutor. I would say 75% if not more college athletes at schools that are good at football cant solve a basic equation but they get so much tutoring and so many benefits from teachers(allowed to test late), i was personally given multiple study guides by teachers and told to make sure the athlete knew the material. No other college student got that. My brother had a 93k dolllar hospital bill that was paid for by the college

Again...those aren't 'benefits.' It's SUPPOSED to be compensation in exchange for work. So I have no idea why so many people take issue with what athletes receive, it's all earned for one and two it pales in comparison to what they produce. I'm not buying your argument regarding majors either because I know for a fact many universities offer free tutoring services for regular students. And again don't sell me the education bullshit because like I said schools pull scholarships from players who perform in the classroom all the time just because they don't live up to their recruiting expectations on the field. So much for education being most important. Pretty sure nobody here cared about Jeff Driskel being a great student when he was all but ran out of UF and likewise you probably didn't give a damn about any of Thebes's FSU 'students' who were processed by Jimbo early in his tenure. The education crutch only gets brought up when it's convenient.

Secondly, athletes don't need universities for advertising. Proof? You're posting on a network that's worth millions and this network gets its worth from simply reporting on HIGH SCHOOL players who don't have half the value of college players. I'm also sure universities would agree with me too otherwise they wouldn't spend millions of dollars every year on recruiting. If the university brands were worth more than the athletes themselves they could just roll you and a bunch of random posters out there in a UF or FSU jersey and pocket the millions but they don't because why? Exactly.

Reactions: dakid_0812
Again...those aren't 'benefits.' It's SUPPOSED to be compensation in exchange for work. So I have no idea why so many people take issue with what athletes receive, it's all earned for one and two it pales in comparison to what they produce. I'm not buying your argument regarding majors either because I know for a fact many universities offer free tutoring services for regular students. And again don't sell me the education bullshit because like I said schools pull scholarships from players who perform in the classroom all the time just because they don't live up to their recruiting expectations on the field. So much for education being most important. Pretty sure nobody here cared about Jeff Driskel being a great student when he was all but ran out of UF and likewise you probably didn't give a damn about any of Thebes's FSU 'students' who were processed by Jimbo early in his tenure. The education crutch only gets brought up when it's convenient.

Secondly, athletes don't need universities for advertising. Proof? You're posting on a network that's worth millions and this network gets its worth from simply reporting on HIGH SCHOOL players who don't have half the value of college players. I'm also sure universities would agree with me too otherwise they wouldn't spend millions of dollars every year on recruiting. If the university brands were worth more than the athletes themselves they could just roll you and a bunch of random posters out there in a UF or FSU jersey and pocket the millions but they don't because why? Exactly.

Why would a college have to pay an athlete if they r not performing? U say its a job? If someone gets fired do they still get paid? No

Troll harder.

Its what u just said. If someone is paying for their education sonething must be wrong since they are not on scholarship. I think that is the dumbest thing u have ever posted and unlike some of these other morons i do respect ur opinion. However, i feel like on this subject u are emotionally involved which is clouding ur judgement. Did u play b4 or something? Ive heard both sides of the argument and i completely agree that college players are paid very well. Do mcdonalds workers get comparable pay for what they produce? Does any employee? The answer is no. I consult on million dollar structures all the time, i dont get paid more for it. Athletes are not special.

many people are going to tell someone that experienced being an athlete on scholarship all about it

Why would a college have to pay an athlete if they r not performing? U say its a job? If someone gets fired do they still get paid? No

if you are bobby bonilla or plenty of other athletes you do

many people are going to tell someone that experienced being an athlete on scholarship all about it

if you are bobby bonilla or plenty of other athletes you do

U amaze me with every post i will give u that. The weed is getting to ur brain cells tho.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT