ADVERTISEMENT

F Utah…Man…

sadgator

Bull Gator
Jan 9, 2002
Copper Monkey 30 minutes prior to kickoff
sadgator is so sick of seeing services and pundits favoring/picking Utah in this game…

Napier’s first game…hot as sh!t (even at 7 p.m.)…seriously those sumbitches are gonna suffocate in the humidity…tough environment…we’re all still kinda pissed and irritated about last year…

seriously…sadgator thinks we are gonna kick their asses…for real…

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf-game/utah-florida-score-odds-september-3-2022/128696

Last edited:
sadgator is so sick of seeing services and pundits favoring/picking Utah in this game…

Napier’s first game…hot as sh!t (even at 7 p.m.)…seriously those subitches are gonna suffocate in the humidity…tough environment…we’re all still kinda pissed and irritated about last year…

seriously…sadgator thinks we are gonna kick their asses…for real…

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf-game/utah-florida-score-odds-september-3-2022/128696

I lean to us winning at home. Doubt they can keep us from scoring in the high 20s +. If we can hold them to under 30 I think we win.

Reactions: gatorbuilderorlando
FWIW
Salt Lake City located in the middle of a f**king DESERT; they know what HOT feels like.

Oh, but its DRY heat so that will make a difference.

We looked like clowns last year - 2-6 SEC; UCF beat us 29-17; Utah won the PAC12; smarten up !

It is different though still crazy hot. We have a new coach the players want to impress and the right QB getting all the 1st team reps now. The crowd and noise will be a big plus also. I do wish this was an afternoon game though.

It is different though still crazy hot. We have a new coach the players want to impress and the right QB getting all the 1st team reps now. The crowd and noise will be a big plus also. I do wish this was an afternoon game though.
Fever,

Nothing would make me happier than to be proven wrong about the Utah game !

I will acknowledge that Insta made an excellent point; the teams that will play each other on Sept 3, are NOT the teams from last season & getting too caught up in trying to compare them is futile.

BUT Utah is not our usual Rent-A-Victum. Posters on this board sneer at the PAC12; but could the Gators have won it ?

Could they win it this year ?

My problem is that I have suffered through toooo many preseasons with wild & unrealistic expectations for the Gators.

When things crashed & burned, it was painful.

IMO, the Gators are in rebuilding mode & Utah is not.

Richardson is obviously the best QB Napier can put on the field; he has enormous physical talent.

The past is the best predictor of the future. People talk about Richardson's LSU Game - he threw a stupid interception & LOST.

If he had half the mental sharpness & QB Smarts of
Danny Wuerffel, I would be ECSTATIC !

Unfortunately, he has never shown that all important aspect of a QB's game.

Without Grantham, our Defense will have to be better.

How effective Napier's Run-centric offense will be in the SEC is anyone's guess. Bama abandoned it years ago. Our OL is still a question mark - until they prove it on the field.

NOTE: Saban's QB, Bryce Young was able to replace Bama's traditional running game by throwing for 4872 yds & 47 tds with only 7 ints in the regular season.

Something called the Heisman ?

if my memory correct, Young & Richardson were in the same recruiting class; Richardson seems a little behind him in performance.

44 days until we answer some questions.

Last edited:
Fever,

I will acknowledge that Insta made an excellent point; the teams that will play each other on Sept 3, are NOT the teams from last season & getting too caught up in trying to compare them is futile.

BUT Utah is not our usual Rent-A-Victum. Posters on this board sneer at the PAC12; but could the Gators have won it ?

My problem is that I have suffered through toooo many preseasons with wild & unrealistic expectations for the Gators.

Richardson is obviously the best QB Napier can put on the field; he has enormous physical talent.

The past is the best predictor of the future. People talk about Richardson's LSU Game - he threw a stupid interception & LOST.

How effective Napier's Run-centric offense will be in the SEC is anyone's guess. Bama abandoned it years ago. Our OL is still a question mark - until they prove it on the field.

They aren't the same teams, but Utah does return a lot of good players, including the qb. I would like to win, of course, but I'm keeping my expectations kinda mild for the time being. Frankly, even if UF were to lose, I will still come away very happy if we are much more disciplined, know how to stop a 3rd down, and don't give 7-8 yard open spaces for their wrs to catch screen passes all day long.

In short, while there may be some usual first game of the year mistakes and sloppiness ......we will get a great picture of the rest of the season by how well the defense plays.

Napier will be run-heavy....and I'm fine with that....but no qb sneaks!

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
Fever,

NOTE: Saban's QB, Bryce Young was able to replace Bama's traditional running game by throwing for 4872 yds & 47 tds with only 7 ints in the regular season.

if my memory correct, Young & Richardson were in the same recruiting class; Richardson seems a little behind him in performance.

Not counting what happens in the portal for 2023 I think this 2022 team will be better than the 2023 team.

Reactions: baseballer2302
Not counting what happens in the portal for 2023 I think this 2022 team will be better than the 2023 team.
Fever,

Never thought of it that way; but you could be right - especially if Richardson moves on.

Not going into meltdown, but recruiting isn't anything special right now.

OT, LB, & DT lacking.

Napier has had a huge number of quality players on campus; many for multiple visits. He has his system in place & is making all the right moves when he gets them on campus. Problem, IMO, is he has no SEC wins or even games & he lacks a winning presence at the Power 5 level (unlike Kelly at LSU); he & his staff are having trouble closing.

Hoping that will change - there are two blocks of in-state players that have announced plan to commit soon -

Kirkland,Bryant-7/23;Walker,LeBlanc,Jackson-7/28

We won't get all of them, but hopefully we get enough of them to generate some momentum for FNL & the Cookout.

Last edited:
Dear Jeff,

Talk about UF beginning the season with a patsy, how about this in 2021.
UU 40 - 17 Weber State

Then they followed that big Weber-St start with B-2-B losses
@ BYU and @ SDSt
Then in late Oct they lost @ crappy 7-6, 5-4 LAC, OreSt

Notice something about Utah's losses? They suck in away games.
Where again are they playing the Gators on Sept 3rd???
🤔

And lastly the teams over-all quality is still, what it is:
Four year recruit Class ranking average = #12 UF vs #35 UU
That might end up being the game score if reversed, UF 35 - 12 UU.
But more likely somewhere in the range of UF 34 - 24 UU....
🤓

PS
Welcome to the iG's bandwagon Sad, but I'm driving....
😉 --- 😁

FWIW
Salt Lake City located in the middle of a f**king DESERT; they know what HOT feels like.
The dew point in Salt Lake City today is 51 degrees.

The dew point in Gainesville today is 78 degrees.

Say whatever you want about actual temps out west, but those mother f-er’s don’t come close to experiencing the heat index levels in North-Central Florida…and we still have August to go…

Telling’ ya…they will melt…people forget how tough the Swamp is sometimes…

This is a tough opener. Utah is a good program and you would expect us to be trying to figure things out a little bit. I’m more interested in how we look than the result. I’d love to see us organized, flying around and playing with some emotion.

grew up with ac and This is a tough opener. Utah is a good program and you would expect us to be trying to figure things out a little bit. I’m more interested in how we look than the result. I’d love to see us organized, flying around and playing with some emotion.
If we have to depend on the heat to beat other teams I'd say BS. Trust me our players will feel it as well. I'e lived in this hot/humid place for 73 of my 75 years and it's still miserable. That being said we had no air conditioning at home or school. Players today have had AC at home and school so I'm not sure there's a super disadvantage to out of e state schools.

Reactions: Jeff from Jax
If we have to depend on the heat to beat other teams I'd say BS. Trust me our players will feel it as well. I'e lived in this hot/humid place for 73 of my 75 years and it's still miserable. That being said we had no air conditioning at home or school. Players today have had AC at home and school so I'm not sure there's a super disadvantage to out of e state schools.
After spending a week in Arizona in late July a few years ago I was astounded when I arrived back home in Alabama. Incredible difference the humidity makes.

Reactions: instaGATOR
It’s not about “depending” on it, but it is totally a thing…

people forget. When Florida played Miami in that Citrus Bowl opener a couple years back, it was seriously the hottest most-oppressively sweltering environment sadgator had ever experienced. It totally affected play.

Factor in the bourbon, and it’s gonna be a nasty unwelcome environment for those mormon folks….

Fever,

Never thought of it that way; but you could be right - especially if Richardson moves on.

Not going into meltdown, but rl

As far as recruiting Napier is doing good but we aren't offering the NIL so far to get the very top recruits. Napier is getting the recruits just under where they are expecting a nice deal to even commit.

As far as recruiting Napier is doing good but we aren't offering the NIL so far to get the very top recruits. Napier is getting the recruits just under where they are expecting a nice deal to even commit.
Fever,

Not sure that is a great strategy. I see now why you predicted that this years team would be more talented than next years !

This strategy may not be totally Napier's fault. UF Admin may have a strong hand in shaping it.

Stupidly, after giving Napier the big time Coaching Contract & the huge Support Staff Budget; they seem willing to let him twist in the wind over the NIL issue.

Even if other schools come back to the pack, as LG89 suggests, A 3*, Vanderbilt type class in 2023, while other schools are throwing NIL$$$ around, would be an anchor around Napier's neck & make it difficult to compete for several years.

Our recruiting at LB & on the OL & DL is not going well. Tommy Kinsler, 3* OT, decommitted after 2 weeks & an OV to Miami.

In 8 days, five - 4* Central Florida players are scheduled to make their decisions. They have changed their commit dates several times so who knows.

7/23 - OT Payton Kirkland, LB Malik Bryant

7/28 - DT John Walker, DE Derrick LeBlanc, CB Ja' Keem Jackson

All of them are heavily recruited & their reactions will give us a better idea on the validity of Napier's strategy.

Of course, if we go 0 for 5, we will have wasted 7 months of recruiting effort & it will be too late to do much about key positions of need in the incoming class.

Last edited:
Remember Urban’s first “blue out” against Tennessee…in 2007?!?!?…it was so hot that the tunnels were absolutely silent during halftime…sadgator remembers people just quietly sloshing around with pained looks on their faces….that stadium is insanely tough when it is used properly…

Reactions: Gator Fever
Fever,

I don't think you are crazy. From the outside looking in here is what I see. Clearly the Gators have the better players/playmakers (individually). I also think that AR 15 is a difference maker and will play well. Couple things that are working against the Gators imo, Utah has the same HC since what seems like before I graduated high school lol They know what they are doing and they are going to play well. They had the mindset to takedown Oregon last yr, twice. So their mindset as a team is very solid. The x factor is we don't know the Gators mindset, are they still the same team from last yr? Completely different? Or somewhere in between? I think they are somewhere in between because you can't REALLY trust a new staff until you have been in the fire with them.

So where does that leave us?
Gators advantages are talent, QB, home field advantage, and everyone being hyped and ready to prove their new coach right about them.

Utah advantages are mindset, coaching experience with those players so the players know what to expect, and been there done that attitude (they KNOW their coach can win big games).

I expect UF to struggle a bit early on but keep it close (wouldn't surprise me if Gators are down at the half) but as long as they keep it close and don't go full meltdown mode, I think their athletes and AR can make the plays late to win by a TD.

The other huge x factor to me is has Billy fixed the defense enough? Last yr they looked like they didn't even want to be there and a lot of that is the coach allowing it or the players not playing hard enough for that coach.

So many variables which is why this game is going to be so fun to watch. If I'm being honest I don't think there is an outcome that would surprise me.

I don't think you are crazy. From the outside looking in here is what I see. Clearly the Gators have the better players/playmakers (individually). I also think that AR 15 is a difference maker and will play well. Couple things that are working against the Gators imo, Utah has the same HC since what seems like before I graduated high school lol They know what they are doing and they are going to play well. They had the mindset to takedown Oregon last yr, twice. So their mindset as a team is very solid. The x factor is we don't know the Gators mindset, are they still the same team from last yr? Completely different? Or somewhere in between? I think they are somewhere in between because you can't REALLY trust a new staff until you have been in the fire with them.

So where does that leave us?
Gators advantages are talent, QB, home field advantage, and everyone being hyped and ready to prove their new coach right about them.

Utah advantages are mindset, coaching experience with those players so the players know what to expect, and been there done that attitude (they KNOW their coach can win big games).

I expect UF to struggle a bit early on but keep it close (wouldn't surprise me if Gators are down at the half) but as long as they keep it close and don't go full meltdown mode, I think their athletes and AR can make the plays late to win by a TD.

The other huge x factor to me is has Billy fixed the defense enough? Last yr they looked like they didn't even want to be there and a lot of that is the coach allowing it or the players not playing hard enough for that coach.

So many variables which is why this game is going to be so fun to watch. If I'm being honest I don't think there is an outcome that would surprise me.

Richardson has the great potential but I would have to give Utah the edge at QB now as that QB has played enough to establish himself as a pretty good QB. We need our defense to show up and play better than their young defense which I think might be a weak spot for them early in the season.

Check out the weather graphic that flashes at 1:41…
Sad,

If we were playing Utah at 3 pm; your graphic might be significant; but since kickoff is at 7 pm it isn't.

I live in Jax & 6 weeks in advance I would predict that the temp at 7 pm likely to be in high 70's / low 80's with relatively high humidity.

BUT we don't KNOW for certain what the weather will be like at kickoff; we can only guess. What we do know is that the weather will be the same for both teams.

You seem to think that Gators will automatically have an edge in fitness - why ?

Is Whittingham so stupid, so inexperienced, that Utes are sitting around drinking RC Colas & eating Moon-pies all summer ?

Or have they tasted enough success to want more ? How hungry are the Utes compared to the Gators ? No one knows.

Lifting weights in an air conditioned weight room will make you stronger; but it does not automatically make you fit.

How many snaps will 400 lb Desmond Watson take in this game ?

But Utah lives in the Salt Lake City Dessert area; humidity less there but just as hot. Dry heat is BS; when its HOT its HOT.

Also think Utah has more proven depth & Utah HC Kyle Whittingham smart enough to use it.

And as several posters have pointed out - if we have to hope for a weather advantage to win the game - we are screwed.

Blocking, tackling, & ball security - something Richardson isn't known for - more important than temp when it comes to winning this game.

Sad,

If we were playing Utah at 3 pm; your graphic might be significant; but since kickoff is at 7 pm it isn't.

I live in Jax & 6 weeks in advance I would predict that the temp at 7 pm likely to be in high 70's / low 80's with relatively high humidity.
Are you sh!tting sadgator?!?!? That game is Sept. 3! High 70’s at 7pm?!?!?!?!? Lol. The sun won’t even be down yet.

Dude, sadgator knows that nobody here wants to read an argument about the weather, but the heat in that place for that game is going to be absolutely miserable…unless it is pouring….

It will totally have an effect…as will the agitated, annoyed, and overly intoxicated crowd…the entire scene is going to be ugly and inhospitable…

seriously….about 5 to 10 minutes into the first quarter those Utah dudes are gonna feel like they have entered the ninth circle of hell…

sadgator genuinely believes this…

Last edited:
Sad,

As always, respect your opinions,

If you can predict the weather, this far in advance, you could make a lot of money !

But doubt that would make Mrs Sadgator any happier !

LOL

Reactions: sadgator
Are you sh!tting sadgator?!?!? That game is Sept. 3! High 70’s at 7pm?!?!?!?!? Lol. The sun won’t even be down yet.

Dude, sadgator knows that nobody here wants to read an argument about the weather, but the heat in that place for that game is going to be absolutely miserable…unless it is pouring….

It will totally have an effect…as will the agitated, annoyed, and overly intoxicated crowd…the entire scene is going to be ugly and inhospitable…

seriously….about 5 to 10 minutes into the first quarter those Utah dudes are gonna feel like they have entered the ninth circle of hell…

sadgator genuinely believes this…
Will be toasty....heat not the issue but as you have mentioned humidity will be an huge challenge

Will be toasty....heat not the issue but as you have mentioned humidity will be an huge challenge
Yes, the humidity is the key here. Utah is hot in the summer. Hot and dry. It's different when your sweat won't evaporate. I expect, in September, around 4pm it will be 85-86, by 7 it will be down to oh, 82. But the humidity will be very high, particularly if it rained a bit earlier in the day.

There was a time I would have said that I expected Utah to be cramping up all over the place. I still believe that, but unless Napier has radically improved the Gator fitness level, we will be cramping just as much if not more. That's how it's been the past few years, with us cramping more than the opponent. Of course, that could have been Third and G telling guys to slow the game down to give him more time to make a bad playcall choice.

Reactions: sadgator
September Weather in Gainesville. Florida, United States. Daily high temperatures decrease by 4°F, from 88°F to 84°F, rarely falling below 78°F or exceeding 93°F. Daily low temperatures decrease by 5°F, from 72°F to 67°F, rarely falling below 59°F or exceeding 75°F.

In September ,
the average heat index (a.k.a. 'felt air temperature', 'feels like'), which represents the influence of relative humidity (77%) on air temperature, is computed to be 104.9°F (40.5°C) .

I remember a Sept 6th back in the late 1970's when the heat index went to 109 and I poured sweat water outta my boots like I'd been in the rain....

BTW, Sunset on 9-3-22 is 7:49 PM.

Last edited:
Is it a big deal that Florida lags so far behind both UA & Ga in the quality of their recruits, both being Top 3's in 4 season average in recruiting class rankings?
Then explain to me why #12 UF is not 3X's as far ahead of #35 Utah, than they are behind UA & Ga???

Class Rankings per 247 (2019>2022)

UA 2022/2 - 2021/1 - 2020/2 - 2029/1 - 6/4 = 1.5

UG 2022/3 - 2021/4 - 2020/1 - 2019/2 - 10/4 = 2.5

UF 2022/17 - 2021/12 - 2020/9 - 2019/9 - 42/4 = 10.5

UU 2022/34 - 2021/34 - 2020/30 - 2019/42 - 140/4 = 35.0

The next person that claims that Utah has a better team than the Gator's have, will have earned the MOE-RON effigy...
=====

On several occasions, Napier said the team did not have sufficient talent beyond its core group of starters and pointed to several positions groups as main areas of concern: WR, ILB and DL.

Personally, I think ole nappy is doing a little sand-baggin' to begin his tenure at UF, which is okeey-doekeey widme...

WR Jordan Pouncey 6-1 217 rsSr
WR Justin Curtis 5-11 189 Sr
WR Justin Shorter 6-4 223 rsJr
WR Daniel Cross 6-0 174 rsJr
WR Ricky Pearsall 6-1 200 Jr
WR Trent Wittemore 6-3 206 rsSo
WR Ja'Markis Weston 6-3 212 rsSo

WR William Sawyer 6-1 185 rsSo
WR Ja'Quavion Fraziars 6-4 212 So
WR Xzavier Henderson 6-3 195 So

WR Thai Chiaokhiao-Bowman 6-2 190 So - JuCo xfer
WR Daejon Reynolds 6-2 204 rsFr
WR Marcus Burke 6-4 183 rsFr
WR Kahleil Jackson 6-3 214 rsFr
WR Taylor Spierto 5-11 205 rsFr
WR Caleb Douglas 6-3 191 Fr
WR Alex Gonzalez ?? Fr

ILB Ventrell Miller 6-1 228 rsSr
ILB Amari Burney 6-2 236 rsSr

ILB Kenny Anyaehie 6-2 220 rsJr PWO Temple xfer
ILB Diwun Black 6-3 221 Jr

ILB Justin Pelic 5-11 213 rsSo - WO
ILB Derek Wingo 6-1 225 So
ILB Scooby Williams 6-2 232 rsFr
ILB #5 LB Shemar James 6-2 212 Fr

DL Jaelin Humphries 6-3 328 rsSo
DL Gervon Dexter Sr 6-5 318 So
DL Desmond Watson 6-5 415 So
DL Jalen Lee 6-2 299 So
DL Keenan Landry 6-2 335 So JuCo PWO
DL Chris McCellan 6-3 305 Fr
DL Jamari Lyons 6-4 298 Fr
-----
DL Brenton Cox Jr 6-3 252 rsJr (OLB)
DL Princely Umanmieien 6-5 245 So
DL Tyreak Sapp 6-3 263 rsFr
DL Justus Boone 6-4 260 rsFr
DL Andrew Savaiinaea 6-3 261 Fr (OLB)
DL Jack Pyburn 6-3 263 Fr (OLB)
DL TJ Murphy Fr 5-11 250 Fr

The Gators have better talent overall and at depth than Nappy's ULL teams ever had, and it's better than most of the other SEC teams in 2022....
It's just the ole iG's opinion, but all UF needs is good coaching and solid systems to be right back in the thick of things, 9-10-11 win seasons....

UF's toughest games for 2022 are WLOCP, LSU, and @ aTm.
Likely lose to UGly, with LSU & aTm being UF's slight disadvantage, toss up's.
In the SEC, on any day, anybody can beat you, or lose to you, so we'll see....

September Weather in Gainesville. Florida, United States. Daily high temperatures decrease by 4°F, from 88°F to 84°F, rarely falling below 78°F or exceeding 93°F. Daily low temperatures decrease by 5°F, from 72°F to 67°F, rarely falling below 59°F or exceeding 75°F.

In September ,
the average heat index (a.k.a. 'felt air temperature', 'feels like'), which represents the influence of relative humidity (77%) on air temperature, is computed to be 104.9°F (40.5°C) .

I remember a Sept 6th back in the late 1970's when the when the heat index went to 109 and I poured sweat water outta my boots like I'd been in the rain....

BTW, Sunset on 9-3-22 is 7:49 PM.
And that’s not even taking into account the factor of the Sun reflecting off the spaceships right before kickoff…

Would have been a lot better with an afternoon kickoff but it may still bother Utah some early in the game.

She’s tough to please…to say the least…
She should have held out for one of the incoming Grays, because if she agreed to marry an immature little boy porn addict like you, she can't be all that difficult to please... 😜

Utah Away Games in 2021, who did they beat, and who did they lose to?

Won @ 4-8 USC
Won @ 3-9 Stanford
Won @ 1-11 Arizona
They didn't beat a single good team in an away game.
Lost @ 12-2 SDSt
Lost @ 10-3 BYU
Lost @ 7-6 OreSt
Lost @ Bowl to 11-2 tOSU - and tOSU was missing 24 players.

They beat a good Ore team twice, and 3 slightly above average teams, plus a 4-8 chump and a D-2.

D-2 WeberSt
10-4 Ore - 1 home and 1 near home in neutral Vegas for LAC-C
8-5 AzSt
8-4 UCLA
7-6 WashSt
4-8 Colo
=====

Note: Some keep bringing up beating Ore twice. 10-4 Ore was +7 @ tOSU, but then they lost @ 3-9 Stanford, and they lost by 15 to OK in bowl.

But the 2021 UU team won't be in the SWAMP on 9-3, their 2022 team will be....

Same goes for the sucky 2021 Gator team, they won't be there on 9-3-22 either....

But remember this, those sucky 2021 Gators 3rd game was a 3 pt loss to the NC runner-up, Bama. --- any day, any game....

Last edited:
Utah Away Games in 2021, who did they beat, and who did they lose to?

Won @ 4-8 USC
Won @ 3-9 Stanford
Won @ 1-11 Arizona
They didn't beat a single good team in an away game.
Lost @ 12-2 SDSt
Lost @ 10-3 BYU
Lost @ 7-6 OreSt
Lost @ Bowl to 11-2 tOSU - and tOSU was missing 24 players.

They beat a good Ore team twice, and 3 slightly above average teams, plus a 4-8 chump and a D-2.

D-2 WeberSt
10-4 Ore - 1 home and 1 near home in neutral Vegas for LAC-C
8-5 AzSt
8-4 UCLA
7-6 WashSt
4-8 Colo
=====

Note: Some keep bringing up beating Ore twice. 10-4 Ore was +7 @ tOSU, but then they lost @ 3-9 Stanford, and they lost by 15 to OK in bowl.

But the 2021 UU team won't be in the SWAMP on 9-3, their 2022 team will be....

Same goes for the sucky 2021 Gator team, they won't be there on 9-3-22 either....

But remember this, those sucky 2021 Gators 3rd game was a 3 pt loss to the NC runner-up, Bama. --- any day, any game....

Just to be fair I remember our 6 wins were over 2 non-power 5 teams, an FCS team, Vandy. a lowly 7-6 Tennessee team and an FSU team that had a losing record.

We only beat one team that didn't have a losing record last season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT